• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Resident Evil Franchise sales (RE7 at 200K of 2M fisc year goal 3 months in)

Really gives meaning to the words "vocal minority."

It doesn't matter how loud people yell about things on the internet. Those numbers don't lie. The loudest folks are the minority.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hope this means they go back to the style of RE4 and RE5. Not as over-the-top as RE6 but man, RE5 was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had.

Fury451

Banned

It doesn't matter how loud people yell about things on the internet. Those numbers don't lie. The loudest folks are the minority.

This happened with Mirror's Edge 2 as well. Clamored for for years, got a decent budget and effort behind it, but it didn't sell like it was anticipated. Then again EA said it met expectations, so maybe, but there's no way it recouped it's budget.

Neiteio

I just want RE to embrace its true calling: soap opera.

Like Jake goes to college and becomes a doctor, knocks up Sherry but then comes down with amnesia. Also he has an eyepatch and talks three inches from people's faces.

And in a surprise twist, Sherry's baby has amazing hair like Leon, but also says "Thanks" like Chris. HMMMMM.

I just want RE to embrace its true calling: soap opera.

Like Jake goes to college and becomes a doctor, knocks up Sherry but then comes down with amnesia. Also he has an eyepatch and talks three inches from people's faces.

And in a surprise twist, Sherry's baby has amazing hair like Leon, but also says "Thanks" like Chris. HMMMMM.

You all need to get some rest, seriously some of you are going delirious.

kunonabi

Problem is they aimed the game at a smaller section of that minority. My whole gang wasnt interested in yet another first person horror game. A bud and I ended up giving it a shot and renting it but it turned out like i expected it to, maybe even worse, and that was that. RE6 at least was a meaty package for those into the action entries and as a fan of Leon's original characterization and RE3 there was still a little bit for me even if I couldnt stand the other 3/4 of the game. I only rented it too but there is a better chance of me going back and picking up RE6 than there is with RE7.

Like 50% of the reason RE7 went the direction it did is because Capcom can't afford another 700 person action fest on modern consoles.

It wasn't because people complained. It was that the red line and blue line crossed and it became unfeasible.

JayEH

Campaigns being weak seems like kind of a huge, game-ruining problem.

campaigns don't take advantage of what the game wants to be which is why mercs mode is the best part about 6. Clearly they would have liked to gone full on action but the RE name has certain expectations so we got what we got. Personally I enjoyed the campaigns but I can recognize it has its faults. I think it's for the best that RE has scaled back down but I would like the 6 gameplay to live on.

Neiteio

Campaigns being weak seems like kind of a huge, game-ruining problem.
The RE6 campaigns are a lot more fun when people take full advantage of the combat and mobility mechanics, which I'd argue are best in class. They shine best in Mercenaries, though.

I'd like them to return to RE6-style gameplay but this time properly teach people how to play and build a well-paced campaign around those mechanics.

amardilo

Wow, I really liked RE7. It's one of my favourite RE games and I was hoping for more like it. Looks like that I might be in the minority.

Neiteio

Wow, I really liked RE7. It's one of my favourite RE games and I was hoping for more like it. Looks like that I might be in the minority.
I'd happily take another REVII, another RE6, another Revelations, another REmake.

Capcom should just make RE full-time, pls.

Neiteio

But if I had to choose... A return to this, please:

mkU5Y6V.gif

CMdXpjv.gif

Stomp.gif

e7uvOH1.gif

I'd happily take another REVII, another RE6, another Revelations, another REmake.

Capcom should just make RE full-time, pls.
Right now, Capcom are doing post production on RE8, working on Remake 2 and Revelations 3 and likely planning the next movie for the series. That's more than enough Resident Evil.

But if I had to choose... A return to this, please:

mkU5Y6V.gif

CMdXpjv.gif

Stomp.gif

e7uvOH1.gif
Dat first gif. Jesus!!

Neiteio

Right now, Capcom are doing post production on RE8, working on Remake 2 and Revelations and likely planning the next movie for the series. That's more than enough Resident Evil.
Post on RE8?? I think you mean PRE-production, right?

Also, where's the REVII story DLC? "Not A Hero" and whatever they end up naming the second more horror-focused one.

Also, where's the REVII story DLC? "Not A Hero" and whatever they end up naming the second more horror-focused one.
Yeh. I do expect a faster turnaround for RE8 so early 2019 for RE8.

Remake 2 and Revelations 3 should release next year.

tesqui

Same, it's definitely in my top 3. I guess I should've known judging by sales, but I'm so surprised that this many people preferred RE6 direction of action over RE7.

Jingo

Resident evil must be the most polarizing game, kudos for them for making a game that can be action and horror and have the fans fighting over that, you dont see any other game doing that, you dont see people asking for a metal gear solid with no stealth and only action , or an uncharted puzzle game with few action.

kromeo

Resident evil must be the most polarizing game, kudos for them for making a game that can be action and horror and have the fans fighting over that, you dont see any other game doing that, you dont see people asking for a metal gear solid with no stealth and only action , or an uncharted puzzle game with few action.

When you have a series that goes from this

dolphin_exe_dx11_20140827_223338_by_aloo81-d7wx8ro.jpg

to this

CMdXpjv.gif

Inevitably some people are going to feel left behind

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm a casual fan (i finished all mainline RE games) but damn, this is some revisionist view that RE6 is actually a good and decent RE game. It's not super bad but it's not what I want RE to become, namely an 80% action, 20% horror game.

Maybe people are thinking RE6 is good like how Deadly Premonition is good
it's janky though
?

I'm a casual fan (i finished all mainline RE games) but damn, this is some revisionist view that RE6 is actually a good and decent RE game. It's not super bad but it's not what I want RE to become, namely an 80% action, 20% horror game.
It's not revisionist. RE6 has always been liked. In some cases, more than liked -- loved. It could have been 100% action, 0% horror, and it wouldn't have fared any worse for it. Resident Evil has no obligation to be horror. You could make a Resident Evil prequel where you play as Chris Redfield back in his air force days and fly planes around, and it would still be a legitimate entry in the series.

Neff

I'm a casual fan (i finished all mainline RE games) but damn, this is some revisionist view that RE6 is actually a good and decent RE game.

It was always good. Genuinely, sincerely, awesomely good. People are just coming round to the fact due to the post-sequel reassessment RE games usually receive.

It'll always have its detractors, and that's fine. But the insistent internet notion -bordering on propaganda- that the game is wretched beyond redemption is starting to subside.

Resident Evil has no obligation to be horror. You could make a Resident Evil prequel where you play as Chris Redfield back in his air force days and fly planes around, and it would still be a legitimate entry in the series.

It kinda does. For the same reason Billy's flashback in RE0 always felt jarring to me. It has nothing to do with monsters (bar man being the greatest of all), or Umbrella, or the series in general.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It'll always have its detractors, and that's fine. But the insistent internet notion -bordering on propaganda- that the game is wretched beyond redemption is starting to subside.

It's not wretched though. I do appreciate the quality of the graphics of the game and the production values (I did like plane part for some reason).

Maybe it's just that the game felt overbloated and it felt like it didn't know what it wants to be (is it a horror game, or a pure action game, or maybe let's put a bit of horror).

It kinda does. For the same reason Billy's flashback in RE0 always felt jarring to me. It has nothing to do with monsters (bar man being the greatest of all), or Umbrella, or the series in general.
Oh, well, there is something to be said for games in a series preserving some kind of overarching narrative tone.

But the best Back to the Future film took place in the wild west and the Delorean was broken for 95% of the movie. I'm flexible about these things.

Karsha

Just drop the FP and go back to third person, that\s the only change RE7 needed. RE is a horror story based on the characters, you are supposed to feel their fear and pain, the first person just makes it another generic horror with some shooting parts toward the end.

CryptiK

I hope they stay on the survival horror course, doesn't have to be FP but being survival horror is a must, it basically invented the genre and then abandoned for no good reason.

correojon

Good job Capcom for slowly decreasing the potential of their only worldwide hit franchise at the expense of pleasing critics and horror fans.
In my case (and I might no be alone in this) I'm making Capcom pay for the trainwreck that was RE6. That made the IP lose it's "must-have" status and is now on the pile of "games I'll get when I run out of things to play".
And also, it's not available on my prefferred platforms (Switch and WiiU) whose games get preference over PC's.

I hope they stay on the survival horror course, doesn't have to be FP but being survival horror is a must, it basically invented the genre and then abandoned for no good reason.
Increasingly dire sales weren't a good reason? Sales were on a steady decline after RE2, hitting rock bottom with the release of Outbreak 2.

In my case (and I might no be alone in this) I'm making Capcom pay for the trainwreck that was RE6.
RE6 continues to print money, so I don't think that approach is working out for anyone.

Finished platinuming re7 a few days ago and I find it hilarious it still announces that "Not a hero" is coming in Spring 2017 after/during the credits roll...

That about sums capcom up really.

Jazzem

Just drop the FP and go back to third person, thats the only change RE7 needed. RE is a horror story based on the characters, you are supposed to feel their fear and pain, the first person just makes it another generic horror with some shooting parts toward the end.

But RE characters never really react to the horrific events in a believable manner...which to be fair does include 7's protagonist, but as memorable as they are the series' characters don't really do much to draw the player into the horror scenarios. Revelations 2 probably being the only exception to that out of what I've played

Sesha

Increasingly dire sales weren't a good reason? Sales were on a steady decline after RE2, hitting rock bottom with the release out Outbreak 2.

That's a bit misleading. They released a non-numbered side game, a prequel and a remake, and put two of them exclusively on GameCube. Then there were the two weird online-focused stiff controlling story lax spin-off games. RE3 sold well, although less than 2 which isn't unusual for rapid sequels and late gen games. Proper numbered sequels on PS2 would probably have continued to sell fine for at least a few more years.

They could also have changed gameplay styles without moving away from horror. In fact, we know RE4 was going to be more horror before Mikami took over (after making Kamiya spin-off his stylish RE4 into DMC, ironically enough). It was a creative decision by Mikami, and RE4 didn't outsell its numbered predecessors. In terms of sales RE4 was just another numbered RE game. The new style didn't become hugely successful until RE5.

Yeh. I do expect a faster turnaround for RE8 so early 2019 for RE8.

Remake 2 and Revelations 3 should release next year.

Capcom plans sequels on a 2.5-3 year basis. I doubt we'll see RE8 coming any sooner than late 2019. Early 2019 is RE2make or DMC5. Revelations 3 is a bit of a wild card at this point.

ksamedi

The no show for the dlc makes me think that the team got split into porting stuff to Switch. It will come eventually but they probably have fewer resources working on it.

One of the key issues with the RE series is that returning veteran characters can't realistically be truly scared by what they're encountering. So, the obvious answer is to introduce new characters. But a huge part of Resident Evil's appeal is its cast of characters who are all growing older in real time. Very unique to the series. So this puts the horror-oriented entries at an unfortunate disadvantage.

correojon

Increasingly dire sales weren't a good reason? Sales were on a steady decline after RE2, hitting rock bottom with the release of Outbreak 2.

RE6 continues to print money, so I don't think that approach is working out for anyone.
Considering we're talking on a thread about RE7's poor sales performance, I think it is.
An entry's quality severly impacts it's sequels: RE4 no doubt helped RE5 reach those numbers, just like RE6 has impacted RE7's performance.

Enlil

lol.......before everyone was, they need to go back to their roots, but when sales are worse than 5 and 6, the same people now advising Capcom to stick with the action.

Neiteio

lol.......before everyone was, they need to go back to their roots, but when sales are worse than 5 and 6, the same people now advising Capcom to stick with the action.
I think it's more like RE is a huge franchise now, huge enough to have two distinct groups of fans (as well as some such as myself who enjoy both kinds). So when you get one, you hear from fans of the other, and vice-versa.

RE7 sales might have been lower but if the games budget was lower and it made profit fast, which Capcom said it did soon after launch, so it's not like the game was a failure.

Comparing sales against 5 and 6 doesn't give the whole picture either, because the games budget and how much profit it made will be a factor too. It's just a shame we don't have real figures but Capcom still seem happy with RE7's performance so far.

I think it's more like RE is a huge franchise now, huge enough to have two distinct groups of fans (as well as some such as myself who enjoy both kinds). So when you get one, you hear from fans of the other, and vice-versa.

So basically, the Resident Evil fanbase is going through the same thing the Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase has. As in, SEGA/Capcom have experimented with so many gameplay styles for their respective series the point where all those gameplay styles have their own set of fans that want to be catered to.

Top Bottom