• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Jake2by4

Nah. The initial pool of members is determined once you enter the room for the first time. It is possible to load a save before that to have the pool re-rolled, and you can repeat this process when the chapters change and you get those two additional people, but on the latter case it only affects the new guys. Once determined, the pool is not re-rolled no matter how many times you exit and enter.

Overall, I find that stuff very anal as you will eventually get everyone anyway and the real star players become so only later on.

okay, remembered it wrong.

Shahed

Okay restarting the battle seemee to pass through the soft freeze. Reloading and doing different things didn't work but thankfully that did.

Strongly disagree with the bolded. There are some Imperial sniper rifles with terrible accuracy (I want to say D rank) but ungodly vs. Personnel dmg. Give her one of those and watch her tear fools up with pin-point accuracy.
Fair enough. I've never really used a Sniper for anything that wasn't a OHKO with a headshot so didn't think of it.

And to add to an earlier post about good recruits. The best units I find in each class are Alicia, Lynn, Audrey, Nadine and Marina. Alicia is just simply the best scout all around. Lynn has Potentials that heal her to full and let her take a 2nd action so you can aim at and kill more than one target, and yeah that's as good as it sounds. She is a hidden character that while very easy and quick to unlock, the method itself won't be apparant and probably won't happen unless you look for it. Audrey does the most damage to Tanks and Armours I beleive. If she isn't the most powerful, at worst she's joinh at the top with Jann and Elysse. I like her because she gets along with Welkin for a boost and her Potential Mooch can refill her ammo to full. However she is also a hidden character albeit one that people may get naturally as they collect more Medals/Trophies. Nadine is good but not that much better than the others. She just doesn't have as many bad traits. And Marina has that whole not missing thing about her.

Cornbread78

Nah. The initial pool of members is determined once you enter the room for the first time. It is possible to load a save before that to have the pool re-rolled, and you can repeat this process when the chapters change and you get those two additional people, but on the latter case it only affects the new guys. Once determined, the pool is not re-rolled no matter how many times you exit and enter.

Overall, I find that stuff very anal as you will eventually get everyone anyway (barring the special unlocks) and the real star players become so only later on.

Good to know for when I finally get to boot the game up this weekend.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
hmm... Amazon no longer mentions the metal case, so I think they've got the regular edition now. Cool. Now I'll buy it.

TheFlow

Banned
just now seeing the responses sorry guys.

1.it is USA only for steelbok and Europe edition is artbook.

2.nothing comes inside the steelcase but the disc.

Zaventem

NA got the better preorder boxadt for the first time. I've been meaning to play this, it's literally sitting on my desk but keep putting myself off.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Nearly bought the PS3 version not too long ago but decided against it because I wanted trophies (for a sense of accomplishment, I'm not a Platinum hunter). Only came onto this thread for a gander and find out its on PS4! This makes me very happy.

Baalzebup

i thought the only way to get it in the states is to get the steelbook?

v1sfI8q.jpg

Limited edition, "while the supplies last" AKA first print edition. They would run out of them eventually.

v1sfI8q.jpg

Limited edition, "while the supplies last" AKA first print edition. They would run out of them eventually.
damn. well, extra shit still comes in the europa edition anyway right? and i got it for like $30, so is that the same price I woulda bought it at stateside?

Weevilone

Any idea when the steelbook will be done? I didn't realize they were doing that b/c I preordered in Feb..

My steelbook showed up and I HATE them. If there's somebody that wants my steelbook lmk b/c I'll send it back to Amazon.

Baalzebup

One rather insane piece of advice that I've gained a mastery over since I discovered it back in the day, but one that takes a bit of risk/reward calculation to use: Deliberately running over an anti-personel mine will propel your character away from the explosion, aka further in the way you are running at since it explodes after you step off of it, not when you step on it. In effect, you will exchange a hefty bit of HP to save a small bunch of AP, but there have been times that I've found the trade to be worth it.

The fun part comes from doing this with Lancers, since they are near-immune to explosive damage. With a big minefield, you can easily cover double the distance you'd get running normally, at the cost of several tens of HP at worst. The practical uses for this are rare indeed, but damn if it isn't amusing.

One rather insane piece of advice that I've gained a mastery over since I discovered it back in the day, but one that takes a bit of risk/reward calculation to use: Deliberately running over an anti-personel mine will propel your character away from the explosion, aka further in the way you are running at since it explodes after you step off of it, not when you step on it. In effect, you will exchange a hefty bit of HP to save a small bunch of AP, but there have been times that I've found the trade to be worth it.

The fun part comes from doing this with Lancers, since they are near-immune to explosive damage. With a big minefield, you can easily cover double the distance you'd get running normally, at the cost of several tens of HP at worst. The practical uses for this are rare indeed, but damn if it isn't amusing.

You see, THIS is what Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 lost.

The amount of fuckery in VC1 resulting from its almost GTA4-esque PhysX implementation on characters is absolutely amazing.

Likewise, you can propel multiple characters forward in a turn by ramming them with the Edelweiss, ragdolling them and sending them flying, with them being perfectly fine and getting up on the spot where their ragdoll lands. VC2 is boooring and just nudges infantry to the side of the vehicle, with little in the way of exploits.

EDIT:

Also, herein lies the REAL remastered portion of this. Not having framerate drops to potentially 15FPS because of the amount of PhysX shit going on screen at once with pretty much every character on screen having some cloth-physics on their model, along with lite destruction elements on some maps that left debris, and other objects making calls to PhysX for their animations. I never bothered to particularly benchmark the PS3 version, but I very distinctly remember it having framerate issues whenever a lot of things happened on screen due to the Edelweiss ramming through things and characters.

TheRook

Has anyone else have had problems with moving the character forward(up) on the left analog stick? it has them walk instead of running and it's only in this direction.

Why would you ever put a Darcsen hater on your squad? Nevermind the possible gameplay problems (do they react to Isara in the tank?), but why would Welkin even consider someone who hates his sister?

Nyoro SF

Why would you ever put a Darcsen hater on your squad? Nevermind the possible gameplay problems (do they react to Isara in the tank?), but why would Welkin even consider someone who hates his sister?

Gallia is fighting from disadvantage, and there's a sizable chunk of able fighters that hate Darcsens, so you can't pick and choose

That being said, Potential distribution in this game is not very fair, some characters have essentially no weaknesses while other characters have such debilitating Potentials that it's hard to use them even for fun.

Has anyone else have had problems with moving the character forward(up) on the left analog stick? it has them walk instead of running and it's only in this direction.

That's an unusual bug if the game is reading d-pad for a single input of an analog joystick. Restart the game, reconnect controller, etc.?

microdot

Oh man I just A ranked ch 7 on the very last last turn with a lancer. I had to save scum it through and
fuck that sword lady.

hmm... Amazon no longer mentions the metal case, so I think they've got the regular edition now. Cool. Now I'll buy it.

While they may actually have done a real limited number for steelcase, a lot of times I've ordered from amazon and ended up with first print editions when they usually remove the mention of bonuses on release.

Even happened with Best Buy a couple of times where they usually say launch edition and when they removed it , I got the launch edition.

Impulsor

I didn't finish the game on Ps3 as I said earlier, but what I played felt awesome and the story was also very cool. The Soundtrack was epic.

Just want to know this. How is the story throughout the game?

I didn't finish the game on Ps3 as I said earlier, but what I played felt awesome and the story was also very cool. The Soundtrack was epic.

Just want to know this. How is the story throughout the game?

Very very good

Side note: got my 2 metal case editions. I have 6 copies now. I guess I should look for a pal PS3 or maybe Japanese ps4 copy to get (squad) 7 copies in total.

I played this on the PS3 when it first came out, but never finished. I am super excited to play through the whole thing this time around and started it a couple of days ago!

Quick question, what class is the best one to focus on upgrading and stockpiling? I saw in the OT that early upgrading of engineers is helpful because you get the "all defend order"... any other advice on this particular topic?

Thanks!

Baalzebup

I don't remember that last part being an option in the original.

Mid-mission saves have been a thing since the PS3 version.
Doe sit have a closed ending? Or does it end on a cliffhanger?

I have yet to hear anyone say anything but good things about the ending.
Quick question, what class is the best one to focus on upgrading and stockpiling? I saw in the OT that early upgrading of engineers is helpful because you get the "all defend order"... any other advice on this particular topic?

Except that my comment was a counter to someone saying that one shouldn't level engineers at all, not a recommendation to level engineers ahead of everyone else. Level every class equally. Maybe level Scouts and Stormtroopers first when everyone is on equal level, but there is little reason to level one class clearly ahead of another. I'm sure some min-maxer would disagree, but to make use of the more broken elements of the game requires a decent grasp of the meta-game, or slavishly following cheesy shit from a guide someone else made.

flyover

Ponn

Banned
Except that my comment was a counter to someone saying that one shouldn't level engineers at all, not a recommendation to level engineers ahead of everyone else. Level every class equally. Maybe level Scouts and Stormtroopers first when everyone is on equal level, but there is little reason to level one class clearly ahead of another. I'm sure some min-maxer would disagree, but to make use of the more broken elements of the game requires a decent grasp of the meta-game, or slavishly following cheesy shit from a guide someone else made.

Yea, I mean if you want to cheese the game then do the Scout only leveling on NG+. Other than that I usually level Scouts a level or two ahead of Lancers and then closely followed by Shocktroopers and then Snipers and Engineers are usually just a level or two under that. Engineers have several uses during key story missions in the game. For instance the first map that gives people trouble, I think chapter 7B, I feel gives people trouble because they neglected their Lancers and Engineers. That battle is pretty much all Lancers and Engineers. Every class has a use.

Lancers you want leveled so you can run them into the thick of shit without dying to get that crit on a tank.

Snipers are handy to clear a field a bit for your lancer to make his run to a tank. Also good for picking off enemy lancers out of reach that may take out Edelweiss.

Engineers can be excellent for clearing crouched enemies behind barriers with their multiple grenades.

Nyoro SF

Chapter 7 is definitely a prime example of why it's not a good idea to neglect leveling Lancers.

Another thing that is very important. Leveling up a class improves that class's health values for each level. After you reach level 11 with a class, it improves their AP, which is critical. Some classes at level 11 unlock special new weapons which either have excellent utility or power. You don't want to miss out on the improved AP for classes.

Leveling each class equally is smart. On my first run, I managed to get close to max leveling every class, despite not having the most stellar ranks, so it's not something people should be too worried about (you shouldn't feel like you're falling behind or something). By the time you finish the game for the first time you should only be a few levels away from maxing every class. In NG+ you should be able to get everyone to level 20 by like mission 3 or 4 lol

There is no description for the steelbook on Amazon anymore, but it says in the title it's the "Launch edition". Doesn't this indicate it still has the steelbook? I hope it does cause I just ordered it :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I expected the game to look much better than it does in general.

In general? What did you expect them to actually add? Considering the PC version anyway which was also a straight port...these guys were always just going to dump the game as is with only performance and res enhancements

There is no description for the steelbook on Amazon anymore, but it says in the title it's the "Launch edition". Doesn't this indicate it still has the steelbook? I hope it does cause I just ordered it :p

Not sure, but I do hope so. Mine's arriving tomorrow so I guess I'll find out then.

Sonofyama

Neo Member
Anyone else not getting trophies to pop? I know I got the one for using the Medic. Looked at the steam achievements which said you needed to go back to Headquarters and tried all the options, still nothing. Am I missing something?

Otherwise love plaything through this a second time.

Anyone else not getting trophies to pop? I know I got the one for using the Medic. Looked at the steam achievements which said you needed to go back to Headquarters and tried all the options, still nothing. Am I missing something?

I'm guessing you've yet to get in-game medals for those actions?

The trophies pop when the medals pop.

Baalzebup

They are tied to the medal system from the original version, meaning that you'll only start getting them once you start getting the medals, which are unlocked about halfway into the story chapters. Namely, after the one called Midsummer Indicent.

Please note the trophy conditions that are given: "Obtain the decoration blah blah blah." Doesn't matter if you've done the deed, if you haven't gotten the decoration itself.

Top Bottom