• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Anyone else not getting trophies to pop? I know I got the one for using the Medic. Looked at the steam achievements which said you needed to go back to Headquarters and tried all the options, still nothing. Am I missing something?

Otherwise love plaything through this a second time.
They're completely bugged for me. The trophy list isn't even showing under my trophies.

Sonofyama

Neo Member
This is true. My friend's Doom order hadn't even begun to prepare for shipping on launch day and he paid for whatever the day one shipping.

My order hasn't gotten out of the preparing phase yet.

I've noticed the same too ever since they started the 20% off for prime members none of my pre-orders have even shipped before the release date. Admittedly though, for the 20% off I'll wait the 2 days.

Sonofyama

Neo Member
They are tied to the medal system from the original version, meaning that you'll only start getting them once you start getting the medals, which are unlocked about halfway into the story chapters. Namely, after the one called Midsummer Indicent.

I'm guessing you've yet to get in-game medals for those actions?

The trophies pop when the medals pop.

Thank you both; I just beat chapter 7, and haven't gotten any in game medals as of yet.

Elven_Star

In general? What did you expect them to actually add? Considering the PC version anyway which was also a straight port...these guys were always just going to dump the game as is with only performance and res enhancements

I love the game, and I'm glad I bought it. I just hoped for a little more touch up; better textures, maybe? Does this game even have textures? ^^ CANVAS is a weird engine. Then again, considering the asking price, I can't really complain. The game is aesthetically sound for sure. I was hoping PS4's power (compared to PS3's) would be able to highlight its beauty even more. That did not happen.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love the game, and I'm glad I bought it. I just hoped for a little more touch up; better textures, maybe? Does this game even have textures? ^^ CANVAS is a weird engine. Then again, considering the asking price, I can't really complain. The game is aesthetically sound for sure. I was hoping PS4's power (compared to PS3's) would be able to highlight its beauty even more. That did not happen.

in general, that has to do with the effort on the part of the developer...but they didnt really have the mind for it

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm in!

Ko0jzmIh.jpg

only copy any Best Buy had for like 20 miles

Give it a few playthroughs. You'll more than get the hang of it eventually.

I'm at a point from my 8 years of playing this game every so often that I've basically memorized the exact set of button inputs to beat Chapter 7 from the briefing screen to the results screen at the exact minimum possible turns. Have only played Vanilla though, no difficulty mods.

Therein lies the ONE thing Valkyria Chronicles 2 did better. Partially randomized enemy placements.

If Valkyria Chronicles 4 ever happens I think it could seriously use some procedural generation for the sake of replayability. Think something like XCOM 2's model where non-story missions are completely generated, while story missions are mainly fixed with a few generated elements thrown in.

Then again I also want VC4 to have an XCOM-style campaign as opposed to the fixed structure of the current trilogy, so interpret that however you wish. And yes, that includes being designed around Ironman and the potential to fail a campaign through a series of screwups.

I'm at a point from my 8 years of playing this game every so often that I've basically memorized the exact set of button inputs to beat Chapter 7 from the briefing screen to the results screen at the exact minimum possible turns. Have only played Vanilla though, no difficulty mods.

I have to admit, one part of Chapter 7 still trips me up now and then.

Sometimes I'll forget that if you don't position the Edelweiss correctly, the Marmota will use its turn to put you in your place instead of shooting a ruin wall.

Give it a few playthroughs. You'll more than get the hang of it eventually.

Therein lies the ONE thing Valkyria Chronicles 2 did better. Partially randomized enemy placements.

If Valkyria Chronicles 4 ever happens I think it could seriously use some procedural generation for the sake of replayability. Think something like XCOM 2's model where non-story missions are completely generated, while story missions are mainly fixed with a few generated elements thrown in.

Then again I also want VC4 to have an XCOM-style campaign as opposed to the fixed structure of the current trilogy, so interpret that however you wish. And yes, that includes being designed around Ironman and the potential to fail a campaign through a series of screwups.
Agreed, apart from scout rushes (crossfire balance, defense orders) the determinism of missions is my biggest complaint with this game. Even without full procedural stuff, some randomness of how many/when enemies show up would work wonders.

This discussion is making me mad they never got to do a full-budget sequel...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Did anyone feel like the game's theme was... a little too juvenile? They really turned up the friendship is power thing the further you get.

Probably my only complaint with an otherwise fantastically sucessful spin on a tactics game.

So, I really enjoy this game, it's quite great especially as a huge fan of SRPGs and it really appeals to the strategy enthusiast in me. Personally, I've never really cared for Random generation if a map had a specifically designed aesthetic and gimmick such as Fire Emblem Fates Conquest's Infamous Chapter 10 (which is still one of the greatest srpg maps ever designed). However, that isn't really the case for Valkyria Chronicles and as result, it really would benefit more from random map generation and slight enemy placement to encourage variety.

There's a quite a bit of dis-balance in the Scout Class, it's not horrendous but considering that most of the objectives are capture points, Scouts are very clearly optimal units.

But otherwise, Valkyria Chronicles is one of the most Unique Strategy games in the Genre alongside Codename STEAM (which I consider one of the best games in the Genre post patch) and is easily worth a playthrough.

It's got a great aesthetic too, albeit sometimes a bit samey at times, not too much of an issue for Genre enthusiasts.

Storywise, I enjoyed some parts and others not so much like many videogame stories. I appreciated the fact that is was explicitly about War and enjoyed some of the lore as well as the reinterpretation of the World Wars on display. The Permadeath aspects also lend their efforts to story telling. I'm mixed on the power of friendship tropes used here. On one hand, I actually kind of like the trope but on the other, I find that is isn't nearly as explored as it really should be and that sadly seemed to be the case here in this story. Some elements were surprising and others were sad. It was an underdog story, it's hard to not get invested in Welkin and Co. That in and of itself is a strong compliment to a srpg story like this in my opinion since its a stylized depiction of war rather than a more realistic depiction. That being said, realistic themes such as racism are not ignored here which is appreciated.

So overall Valkyria Chronicles is probably one of my favorite strategy games overall. It's not too particularly weak in any one aspect which makes appreciating its strengths easier to do. While I think it's later its younger shootey cousin in Codename Steam is a better Strategy game on a design level post patch, my return to this game was not damaged in the slightest really.

thedan001

I finished Ch 7 today also, managed an A rank

I had a smooth run after the
2nd boss girl
showed up which was good

All my classes were lv7 with scout at lv8. I kept using anti-tank damage order up at first to take out the turrets and Jann potentials popped up, only took 2 lancer shots to destroy each turret.

That made things much easier than I remember back then

Baalzebup

Am I just severely underleveled? All my guys were like level 4 and it was an enormous chore

That is definitely lower than expected. The systems do kinda expect you to play a skirmish or two, now and then, to keep up on the curve. The story missions alone don't cut it.

You can manage with weapon upgrades and such, but eventually the lack of basic numbers and better orders can end up stonewalling you.

Baalzebup

A friendly reminder to everyone... again
**Important Thread Reminder**
Where this is a remaster of a previously popular game, please be careful on story spoilers and make sure you use spoiler tags appropriately. There are many new players jumping in on the game for the first time, for multiple reasons, including: new Playstation family members, pure trophy hunters (no PS3 trophies), or they may just be finally setting time aside to play through what's said to be a great game.

Please be considerate and enjoy the experience everyone!

I made the mistake of pointing out that this version of the game wasn't so much a remaster as it was a port in twitch chat and got savaged for being a negative nancy. I even prefaced it by saying how much I love the game, the series, and the fact we got a remaster at all. It was weird.

I do think they could have done a tiny bit of extra work to make it more of a remaster though. Some of the art is comically low-res, especially the backgrounds in the headquarters menu. I don't know much about game development, but I can't imagine it would have broken the bank to get some more detailed background jpgs.

I made the mistake of pointing out that this version of the game wasn't so much a remaster as it was a port in twitch chat and got savaged for being a negative nancy. I even prefaced it by saying how much I love the game, the series, and the fact we got a remaster at all. It was weird.

I do think they could have done a tiny bit of extra work to make it more of a remaster though. Some of the art is comically low-res, especially the backgrounds in the headquarters menu. I don't know much about game development, but I can't imagine it would have broken the bank to get some more detailed background jpgs.

So, are you saying it looks the same as the Ps3 version?

I'm genuinely asking btw, I never played this game before even though I'd have probably enjoyed it.

So, are you saying it looks the same as the Ps3 version?

I'm genuinely asking btw, I never played this game before even though I'd have probably enjoyed it.

Essentially looks the same but with the resolution bumped up to 1080p/60Hz. Also, either I'm crazy or some parts of the UI got upscaled wrong and look a bit pixelated.

Only major change I can think of is that some things have some texture-baked Ambient Occlusion on them now.

Essentially looks the same but with the resolution bumped up to 1080p/60Hz. Also, either I'm crazy or some parts of the UI got upscaled wrong and look a bit pixelated.

Only major change I can think of is that some things have some texture-baked Ambient Occlusion on them now.

Oh I see. Eh well, I don't think I'm gonna care that much.

Azure Revolution is where y'all should be expecting graphical prowess.

Oh I see. Eh well, I don't think I'm gonna care that much.

Azure Revolution is where y'all should be expecting graphical prowess.

Hell yeah.

People can say what they want about Azure Revolution's gameplay, but visually, it's next-gen as fuck. VC1's graphics aged well compared to most last-gen games, but Azure Revolution looks to be taking that to new heights.

'Next-Gen' ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Some new Azure Revolution screenies, in glorious Famitsu-Resolution for the time being until Sega issues full-res screenshots.

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_001.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_002.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_003.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_004.jpg

Now THAT'S a city. Randgriz was pathetic in size (No, I'm not talking about the player's interaction in it being reduced to a menu screen and
the Randgriz Harbor map
, I mean how small it looks in cutscenes) compared to this. This looks like an actual urban-sprawl of a capitol city.

Wonder how good it'll look when it's populated with NPCs
and running at 4K/144FPS on SLI'd 1080s

Baalzebup

Any recommendations on solid starting squad members early on?

Naw, they are essentially too similar to each other before you start racking in the levels and unlocking the hidden potentials. Your leader chaps will keep your average decent no matter whom you field and the potentials themselves will reveal the good members in time. Just about the only one that I can name drop for early goodness is the sniper Catherine for having early access to Accuracy Boost potential. She will rapidly drop on the curve in comparison to her peers though.

The shy, cray-cray or otherwise clearly socially awkward people tend to average on the lower tier, as do all the Darcsen Haters, but there are some exceptions among the former. The Darcsen soldiers, the few you get, tend to be better than most, but Wavy is not top tier. Lynn and Nadine are though.

Shahed

Doing my new game plus run now. I never did NG+ back in the day so I'm shocked at the difference gear makes early on. I figured since I got mainly A Ranks first time around that I'd just focus on the Ace weapons, but it's so easy. It's not so much the level but the end game armour and Potentials. Finishing the game took like 6 days but NG+ I've pretty much done it again in another day or two. Just need to A rank all the Skirmishes on Hard and get 1000 kills for platinim. Hopefully I'll get the latter while doing tbe former.

Baalzebup

Doing my new game plus run now. I never did NG+ back in the day so I'm shocked at the difference gear makes early on. I figured since I got mainly A Ranks first time around that I'd just focus on the Ace weapons, but it's so easy. It's not so much the level but the end game armour and Potentials. Finishing the game took like 6 days but NG+ I've pretty much done it again in another day or two. Just need to A rank all the Skirmishes on Hard and get 1000 kills for platinim. Hopefully I'll get the latter while doing tbe former.

Hard Skirmish 9 is a massive meatgrinder if you set it up properly :p The enemy camp will spew soldiers in endless waves. And yes, the first 2/3 is a complete milk run in NG+.
Good to know. So camp loads of Shocktroopers and maybe Tanks around tbe base and finish the mission before 20 Turns?

Well, my setup was a line that included a Ruhm wielding Shocktrooper and 4 rifle guys at a decent range from the base, but anything that forms a proper intercept-fire killbox should work. Bring at least one engineer to fix the sandbag walls though. The main area is littered with destroyed ones that you can use to cover your advance.

Shahed

Hard Skirmish 9 is a massive meatgrinder if you set it up properly :p The enemy camp will spew soldiers in endless waves. And yes, the first 2/3 is a complete milk run in NG+.
Good to know. So camp loads of Shocktroopers and maybe Tanks around tbe base and finish the mission before 20 Turns?

Naw, they are essentially too similar to each other before you start racking in the levels and unlocking the hidden potentials. Your leader chaps will keep your average decent no matter whom you field and the potentials themselves will reveal the good members in time. Just about the only one that I can name drop for early goodness is the sniper Catherine for having early access to Accuracy Boost potential. She will rapidly drop on the curve in comparison to her peers though.

The shy, cray-cray or otherwise clearly socially awkward people tend to average on the lower tier, as do all the Darcsen Haters, but there are some exceptions among the former. The Darcsen soldiers, the few you get, tend to be better than most, but Wavy is not top tier. Lynn and Nadine are though.

I had completely forgotten about the angle of 'racism' in this game. Seems to me like they took the easy route with simply making them dark haired inividuals but whatever.

Loving the game so far. Not looking forward to the first annoyingly hard chapter (the one of the forest and of course the tank).

Baalzebup

I had completely forgotten about the angle of 'racism' in this game. Seems to me like they took the easy route with simply making them dark haired inividuals but whatever.

Heh, as discussed before in this thread, the pre-production material includes stuff like the predecessors of the Darcsen being Cat-people. Proto-Isara had big fluffy nekomimi.

Reading through the 3 artbooks was very enlightening and entertaining. By the time I got to the 3rd book, the dev notes on the subject of a must have of at least one high profile character with big bewbs had me in stitches. Cosette Coalhearth had a huge chest before it was basically transferred over to Juliana and the only aspect of early version of Riela that was transferred over was, naturally, her 'glamorous' proportions.

is there any reason to get this on PS4 vs. PC? ps4 sounds good but i'm kind of tempted on PC due to c heaper price and mods. what does the PS4 version have that the pc version doesn't (if anything)?

Cornbread78

is there any reason to get this on PS4 vs. PC? ps4 sounds good but i'm kind of tempted on PC due to c heaper price and mods. what does the PS4 version have that the pc version doesn't (if anything)?

From what's been said, the PS4 version is the exact same minus any available PC mods.

Wagram

Trophies is probably the draw for most of us. I don't care about steam achievements, but getting this Platinum will sorta be like a chapter closing.

Ydelnae

I'm still debating between getting this or not. When I watch gameplay videos, it seems sort of boring and slow. I liked Fire Emblem, but I'm not good at strategy games. I'm interested in Azure Revolution and I want to support Sega for this release, but I just don't know if I will enjoy the game.

Hell yeah.

People can say what they want about Azure Revolution's gameplay, but visually, it's next-gen as fuck. VC1's graphics aged well compared to most last-gen games, but Azure Revolution looks to be taking that to new heights.

'Next-Gen' ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Some new Azure Revolution screenies, in glorious Famitsu-Resolution for the time being until Sega issues full-res screenshots.

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_001.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_002.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_003.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_05-13-16_004.jpg

Now THAT'S a city. Randgriz was pathetic in size (No, I'm not talking about the player's interaction in it being reduced to a menu screen and
the Randgriz Harbor map
, I mean how small it looks in cutscenes) compared to this. This looks like an actual urban-sprawl of a capitol city.

Wonder how good it'll look when it's populated with NPCs
and running at 4K/144FPS on SLI'd 1080s

couple questions

1. is this game open world?
2. is Selvaria Bles in this game? as i understand it she's been in all of them as a villain

krossj

Up to chapter 8. I'm really liking the sort of strategy this offers so far and the maps are varied enough to keep it really interesting. Small gripe about the game though, that tank. Finding it frustrating to move control wise and find it clipping on the smallest of edges. I hope there is some more missions which leave it out.

Top Bottom