• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming sales decline 9%

Matt

And yet somehow people see that as a failure...
I'll repost what I said before:

The problem is that the number of people that actually use the Windows Store is so small that adding it as a platform will probebly cost more than it will ever earn.

The point of Xbox Anywhere is to try to get people to actually use the Windows Store, not to increase individual title sales.

wapplew

And yet somehow people see that as a failure...

If anything, it's an unknown, since MS might never share sales number on Windows 10 store.
But we also have that 98% RoTR on steam news, so it's not wrong to see that as a failure with the limited information we have.

Matt

Matt said "will ever earn". We all should listen to him.
Hey, I could be wrong. The Windows Store could explode in popularity and sell millions of copies of Forza and Sea of Theives.

I just don't think that's likely...

RibMan

they don't mind selling less console

10OgC4i.gif

Less consoles = less money. Does Microsoft want to make more or less money?

MilkyJoe

Hey, I could be wrong. The Windows Store could explode in popularity and sell millions of copies of Forza and Sea of Theives.

Well this is it. I just had a look on there, there's GoW, Ori, Quantum Break and Minecraft. The rest looks like a bunch of mobile games. So I am not surprised harly anyone uses it.

I just find it very hard to believe that a PC owner would not buy a must have title just because it is on the Windows store and not on Steam.

They are putting xbox titles on steam?

And if they did they would still make money.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider was on Steam day one and Dead Rising 4 will be on Steam after 90 days. I think the only games that won't end up on Steam are games completely funded by Microsoft.Games like Inside are on Steam and Cuphead will be as well.The real money comes from licensing fees of 3rd party games so just selling their own software is not going to cut it.

Well this is it. I just had a look on there, there's GoW, Ori, Quantum Break and Minecraft. The rest looks like a bunch of mobile games. So I am not surprised harly anyone uses it.

I just find it very hard to believe that a PC owner would not buy a must have title just because it is on the Windows store and not on Steam.

I dunno. It's pretty easy.

I wanted to buy QB and didn't. For several reasons, including the state of the store and how shitty of a port it was.

They would.

But there is no "must have" titles yet to the vast majority of PC gamers.

SOR5

This is true if you have 100% software distribution control of said devices.

It doesnt matter what the percentage is, that bigger active install base which incentives game development is there.

Yeah they could do far more in my opinion, but thats one aspect covered.

MilkyJoe

They would make MORE money on those games.

But as I keep saying, the individual title sales are not the important part to MS.

I have no idea what you are getting at with the bolded. Is the Windows Store a subscription or something?

Rise Of The Tomb Raider was on Steam day one and Dead Rising 4 will be on Steam after 90 days. I think the only games that won't end up on Steam are games completely funded by Microsoft.Games like Inside are on Steam and Cuphead will be as well.The real money comes from licensing fees of 3rd party games so just selling their own software is not going to cut it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dead Rising are not MS developed games.

I dunno. It's pretty easy.

I wanted to buy QB and didn't. For several reasons, including the state of the store and how shitty of a port it was.

I think the latter is why you didn't buy it.

It'd be like someone who only buys physical disks saying "i'm not buying the game I really want as it's only for sale in Walmart and I don't like how their produce section is laid out"

It's just daft

They would.

But there is no "must have" titles yet to the vast majority of PC gamers.

And there we go

c0de

The question is whether it needs to sell millions to earn money with it.

Gurish

This is just the decline of them losing to Sony, releasing their games on PC and such, but after Scorpio's announcement it's only gonna get worse, I expect them to recover by Scorpio's release, but now I think that 1+ hard year is waiting for them.

SOR5

It'd be like someone who only buys physical disks saying "i'm not buying the game I really want as it's only for sale in Walmart and I don't like how their produce section is laid out"

I understand this grief with the W10 store actually, I would liken it to someone who only buys organic food

MilkyJoe

This is just the decline of them losing to Sony, releasing their games on PC and such, but after Scorpio's announcement it's only gonna get worse, I expect them to recover by Scorpio's release, but now I think that 1+ hard year is waiting for them.

I 100% agree here...

Xbox is going to get torn apart up against Neo in DF videos

wapplew

A low price UHD console could mitigate that, might even growth.

I have no idea what you are getting at with the bolded. Is the Windows Store a subscription or something?

Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dead Rising are not MS developed games.

I know that. I'm saying they said need more than just MS developed games to sell on Windows 10 Store for it to be a success. They have to convince PC gamers that it is a viable alternative to Steam IMO.

Matt

Because they want people to use the Window Store. If they get you in there with a game, MS thinks you'll come back for more.

That engagement with the Windows Store is worth a lot more to them than the individual title sales. Which is one of the reasons why they won't release their games on Steam.

MilkyJoe

I know that. I'm saying they said need more than just MS developed games to sell on Windows 10 Store for it to be a success. They have to convince PC gamers that it is a viable alternative to Steam IMO.

Nah, people will stick with Steam for 3rd party, at least until MS address their ridiculous digital pricing.

Because they want people to use the Window Store. If they get you in there with a game, MS thinks you'll come back for more.

That engagement with the Windows Store is worth a lot more to them than the individual title sales. Which is one of the reasons why they won't release their games on Steam.

Well they can only do that with better software than the crap that is already in there. And besides, if 5 million people did a quick hit and run purchase of FH3 for instance, I think MS will be more than happy with that.

Bioshocker

2015 looked good for Xbox One. It did reasonaby well and had big releases like Forza 6, Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. What we've seen from NPD is that sales have been worse in 2016, so I'm not surprised by these numbers. It's like Microsoft went all-in for 2015 and forgot about 2016. And still they got beat by Sony (except in October).

Hopefully Xbox One S can invigorate the business, however I doubt it will do much.

wapplew

Nah, people will stick with Steam for 3rd party, at least until MS address their ridiculous digital pricing.

That one dilemma for the unification.
If store combine, PC price will have to be tie with console, and they can't lower digital price because they have to answer to retailers. Which make windows store digital pricing not that appealing compare to other PC digital store.

Does that matter? It's not like that stops him from hearing things.

Right on time for your scheduled spin.

It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, no. It's just that Ive now been in a few threads where people have said 'listen to what Matt is saying' and if I'm to take stock of what someone is saying then I want to at least understand the perspective they are coming from.

I'm not having a go at the guy it's just that I've seen people say he is a developer, someone have said he's an 'MS insider' and I've seen people say he's a 'Sony insider'.

When someone posts about the inner workings of a major corporation and what their internal projections and road maps are moving forward, not just what new games are getting made - it piques my interest. That's all.

That one dilemma for the unification.
If store combine, PC price will have to be tie with console, and they can't lower digital price because they have to answer to retailers. Which make windows store digital pricing not that appealing compare to other PC digital store.

Are you saying the games in the Windows 10 Store on PC have to priced the same as a game on Xbox consoles because of retailers? If so I'm not sure why because they are completely different markets.

Matt

Well they can only do that with better software than the crap that is already in there. And besides, if 5 million people did a quick hit and run purchase of FH3 for instance, I think MS will be more than happy with that.
5 million people aren't going to buy FH3 on the Windows Store. 1/100th of that would still be 5 times more than RotTR managed. And that sold well for the Windows Store.

wapplew

Are you saying the games in the Windows 10 Store on PC have to priced the same as a game on Xbox consoles because of retailers? If so I'm not sure why because they are completely different markets.

With play anywhere, price on both have to be the same to avoid exploit. Since price will be the same, it will have to stay high for whatever reason console digital software higher than PC.
So, digital price on PC windows store will be same with their console equivalent and that put them into a weak position compare to their PC digital store competitions.

The God

I think again, the people behind strategy at Playstation have out-thought those at Microsoft with respect to the new consoles.

Having a year head-start with a cheaper product with a compelling exclusive line-up is going to ensure the Scorpio is a failure. It will fail also because, for some reason, it's being pitched to high-end gamers who already have high-end PCs. The Scorpio can never win in this scenario. So it's beaten in the console space and its beaten at the other end too.

How does Neo ensure that Scorpio is a failure? They announced Scorpio early so that people would hold off on buying Neo.

With play anywhere, price on both have to be the same to avoid exploit. Since price will be the same, it will have to stay high for whatever reason console digital software higher than PC.
So, digital price on PC windows store will be same with their console equivalent.

Play Anywhere is probably going to be limited to games published by Microsoft for the part. Can't see most 3rd party publishers getting on board with giving free copies away for another platform.

How does Neo ensure that Scorpio is a failure? They announced Scorpio early so that people would hold off on buying Neo.

You really think that is going to persuade many people from buying Neo? Just throwing out some vague numbers.

wapplew

Play Anywhere is probably going to be limited to games published by Microsoft for the part. Can't see most 3rd party publishers getting on board with giving free copies away for another platform.

Play Anywhere are almost all the titles Windows store ever have.
I really can't see how they can survive the competition of PC digital store with a few first party console port, console pricing and closed, console like environment. Except maybe the store is pre-install on all Windows 10

The God

You really think that is going to persuade many people from buying Neo? Just throwing out some vague numbers.

Many? I don't know, but Neo coming out first doesn't mean Scorpio is doomed. Announcing it early is supposed to mitigate the damage that Neo's headstart would cause.

Play Anywhere are almost all the titles Windows store ever have.
I really can't see how they can survive the competition of PC digital store with a few first party console port, console pricing and closed, console like environment. Except maybe the store is pre-install on all Windows 10

I don't know if this true or not right now, but I don't think it will be in the future when the store expands. They would have give some serious incentives to publishers to basically end double dipping.

Many? I don't know, but Neo coming out first doesn't mean Scorpio is doomed. Announcing it early is supposed to mitigate the damage that Neo's headstart would cause.

I never said it was doomed. It could turn out great depending on factors like price. I just don't think that announcement will have much effect on Neo purchasing decisions.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Getting rid of all your exclusives means getting rid of the reasons to buy your console. A used PS4 receiving double trade in value at GameStop versus an Xbone tells you there's a lot less demand for the Bone.

MilkyJoe

5 million people aren't going to buy FH3 on the Windows Store. 1/100th of that would still be 5 times more than RotTR managed. And that sold well for the Windows Store.

FH3 wouldn't also be for sale on Steam or CD keys though, would it?

honestly?
with console sale not exactly booming announcing not just one, but TWO revisions, the first of witch is just "cosmetic" and the second one (further along the lines) being instead more substantial anyone could see a
1) decline in "normal version sale", because a new one is coming
2) not thrilling sales of model S, because a newer one is coming, with better specs
3) i would not like to be the harbinger//guy who has to take the blame of these market data to the shareholder or to the head of the gaming division in the first place

such is life :X

Matt

FH3 wouldn't also be for sale on Steam or CD keys though, would it?
Oy.

No, it won't. It's not a perfect comparison, but the simple fact remains that the Windows Store has been a complete dude, with awful sales. It is actually very difficult to launch a new digital marketplace, which is why so few succeed. There is no reason to think that that situation will change anytime soon, and certainly no reason to believe that Forza Horizon 3 will be the game to change it.

But I guess we'll see.

2015 looked good for Xbox One. It did reasonaby well and had big releases like Forza 6, Halo 5 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. What we've seen from NPD is that sales have been worse in 2016, so I'm not surprised by these numbers. It's like Microsoft went all-in for 2015 and forgot about 2016. And still they got beat by Sony (except in October).

Hopefully Xbox One S can invigorate the business, however I doubt it will do much.

Most of ms exclusives are stacked in the later part of this year....and have been for most years....they still have recore...gears and forza to come

Top Bottom