• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

B.O.O.M

Don't think the vita UI will work at all for a home console BUT they definitely should integrate live area into ps4. It's great.

Maybe with an included pointer device? Like the wii. Not sure how fast and efficient that is though.

I think Sony is going to release a tablet controller with touch screen.

Gaming content stays on the HDTV, Playstation store content is pulled up on the tablet interface along with other social/OS features.

It's just a lot easier to browse/buy content with a touch interface rather than what we currently have, navigating the store with a controller.

I'd love all 3 consoles to be as different to each other as possible, that would be obvioulsly best for gamers. What would be funny if Sony went with Wiimote+nunchunck copy this time, the fanboy reaction would be beyond priceless, from all directions.

yurinka

I think Sony is going to release a tablet controller with touch screen.

Gaming content stays on the HDTV, Playstation store content is pulled up on the tablet interface along with other social/OS features.

It's just a lot easier to browse/buy content with a touch interface rather than what we currently have, navigating the store with a controller.
How about to use a Vita with improved Remote play for this thanks to wifi n + bluetooth?

Durante

xmb is outdated and it's slowness doesn't help at all. No folders is other thing.
It has folders, and it's pretty fast. At least compared to other interfaces on consoles.

I haven't really seen anything better for interacting with a controller. Of course, with a different input device that changes.

Melchiah

It has folders, and it's pretty fast. At least compared to other interfaces on consoles.

I haven't really seen anything better for interacting with a controller. Of course, with a different input device that changes.
Agreed, and it works well with a remote control as well.

Folders implementation is awful as possible though, they could be managed a lot better than that.
And maybe it's just my HDD but if you have a large digital collection it's not suitable for scrolling through the games. After going beyond the 12 thumbnails that can be displayed at once, the new thumbnails start spooling in slower than the scrolling speed and are replaced with a 'loading' icon. After going past 20 thumbnails, even the text for the currently selected one disappears and I'm just given a big list of unnamed loading icons.
But still, that could be fixed without ditching the XMB, especially on PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Folders implementation is awful as possible though, they could be managed a lot better than that.
And maybe it's just my HDD but if you have a large digital collection it's not suitable for scrolling through the games. After going beyond the 11 thumbnails that can be displayed at once, the new thumbnails start spooling in slower than the scrolling speed and are replaced with a 'loading' icon. After going past 20 thumbnails, even the text for the currently selected one disappears and I'm just given a big list of unnamed loading icons.

The fact that you can't alphabetize folder contents drives me insane too.

How about to use a Vita with improved Remote play for this thanks to wifi n + bluetooth?

Tablet controller that connects to two nunchuck moves. Vita games can be downloaded to ps4 and streamed to tablet controller, helping improve vitas position.

Can't rely on something that's not packed in with every console

Hazardman79

Neo Member
I know nothing bout these spec, but I cant wait to have this in my home. Also it seems people are worried about BC. Do you think Sony will continue to support PS3 after PS4 comes out? Wasnt the PS3 suppose to get support for 10 yrs or something like that? Anyway happy new year and gaming to all.

Mitsurugi

Neo Member
What if instead of a tablet, Sony decides to bundle a multi-touch trackpad with every PS4? I dunno about you guys, but I think it'd feel more natural to most folk than Nintendo's Gamepad sense there'd be nothing to look down at or focus on. I know its not innovative or even orginal, but I think it's a cheap input method that could appeal to both Android/IOS and PC gamers.

Additionally, if Sony were to include some cool more advanced haptic feedback to the trackpad to differentiate it and blow more than a few minds with simulated buttons that'd be great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

XMB is great for getting to content that you own, and when you know what you want to play, but its not great for discovery. I'd maybe like something between XMB and Xbox dashboard - some tiles that I can rearrange for surfacing content from my preferred media apps and currently played games, but also folders and quick access like XMB to specific content

XMB is great for getting to content that you own, and when you know what you want to play, but its not great for discovery. I'd maybe like something between XMB and Xbox dashboard - some tiles that I can rearrange for surfacing content from my preferred media apps and currently played games, but also folders and quick access like XMB to specific content

It's almost like XMB is an operating system and not a store front. If I want to go shopping I can go to the (PlayStation) store.

jaosobno

I find XMB ugly and detached from content that is not accessible from HDD/BD drive. I hope Sony incorporates Store into XMB (or whatever they call it in next gen) in PS4. Having to load an app just to browse Store content is definitely not practical.

I hope that Sony makes massive improvement in PS4's GUI. Full Store integration will make a great first step.

That sounds expensive. Having more mechanical parts adds cost and makes the controller less durable.

The idea of holding an expensive screen between two detachable handles sounds like a recipe for disaster. Not impossible though, and it would be nice if you could combine the halves without the screen between them and pass the screen controller to someone else.

what i want when it comes to controllers.

r&d money spent on evolving analog sticks. We have had them now for almost 20 years with little to no improvement. Yet they are still unprecise as ever. They can become better.

the left analog stick to change place with dpad.

and a back touch screen like the vita has. for webbrowsing and what not.

And when it comes to casual gaming/waggle/kinect etc. That shit should be left on ps3 where it is affordable.

Sony should have never combated wii with ps3. They should have continued what they started with ps2.

Ashes

Banned

r&d money spent on evolving analog sticks. We have had them now for almost 20 years with little to no improvement. Yet they are still unprecise as ever. They can become better.

the left analog stick to change place with dpad.

and a back touch screen like the vita has. for webbrowsing and what not.

The back touch thing will probably happen. Left analogue stick may change position too. Then again, can't see why they wouldn't have tried this already, if they wanted to.

jaosobno

I hope not.

I want as little advertising as possible on my console.

And i think its one of the most classy looking ui ever.

If Sony enables advertising in PS4, it could be done for non-PS+ accounts. And I doubt that they will spam your entire GUI with ads. They would probably be displayed only on Store section.

The back touch thing will probably happen. Left analogue stick may change position too. Then again, can't see why they wouldn't have tried this already, if they wanted to.

They could have been too scared to change the shape of anything, like how the triggers even stayed the same shape as when they weren't designed as squishy triggers with a long travel.

The N64 controller must be the most precise one yet (out of the offical console controllers), as the stick part was a bit longer and the area of movement larger. It would be interesting if someone made an analog stick with even longer stick, it would certainly make aiming easier in shooters.

Ashes

Banned
They could have been too scared to change the shape of anything, like how the triggers even stayed the same shape as when they weren't designed as squishy triggers with a long travel.

Definitely. They ought to have changed those triggers at least. I really like the feel in the move triggers.

JoshHood

Hang on, there are people that actually want Sony to stick ads all over the XMB? I would've said that was the best bit versus the Xbox interface.

Mario007

Leave the analog stick placement alone. The way it's done is just perfect for pretty much every game. The Xbox placement is only better for shooters.

dr_rus

XMB is obsolete (it's too "information lite" in our age of digital distribution and social networks) but if the new PS Store is any indication of where they're going with PS4 UI then I'd take the obsolete XMB any time of day, thanks.

The worst thing they can do is copy anything of that Metro-style shit from 360.

Vita's UI is somewhat messy while not really infomative either but at least it does what it should.

The vita has a bit of advertising on the OS and I dont think people care.

You have ads in live areas for game DLC and PS store ads on the bottom of the menu that lists all your current running programs.

I think thats ok.

I bet the PS4 OS takes a lot from the Vita. Mainly Live Areas and multi tasking.
Clearly the Vita UI isnt as transferable to the big screen like the xmb was from psp to ps3 so it will at least look different.

ekim

jXfCGaOLnSYq0.png

Dabanton

Tbh he hasn't said anything we didn't know already. We know all about the codename and that it will have a dash of some sort. But you would think it would he would be aware of people trawling profiles like his for any info no matter how small.

Top Bottom