• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Mario007

Yup. I've been saying this all generation that Sony needs to shift OS/firmware duties outside Japan. SCEJ has whacked priorities on what to include and not to include in firmware updates.
I thought people were happy with the Vita updates? Especially the 2.0 update?

Marco1

I would love Sony to open E3 with an exact repeat of he PS3 reveal using the CGIi renders of kill zone and motorstorm but at the end state that it really was real-time using PS4. And then go into a massive reveal of GT6 etc.
PSN will still be free with PS+ continuing,, vita re-design with £99 re-launch. Also please make sure the PS4 HW looks like something to be proud of, I've warmed to the design of the super slim but its definitely not how I want a launch console to look like. Please no more easy to scratch gloss black.

Mario007

I would love Sony to open E3 with an exact repeat of he PS3 reveal using the CGIi renders of kill zone and motorstorm but at the end state that it really was real-time using PS4. And then go into a massive reveal of GT6 etc.
PSN will still be free with PS+ continuing,, vita re-design with £99 re-launch. Also please make sure the PS4 HW looks like something to be proud of, I've warmed to the design of the super slim but its definitely not how I want a launch console to look like. Please no more easy to scratch gloss black.
99 pound Vita? Really, dude?

Massa

It will probably be like the Vita.

EE and EA get a bit more say on the matter but most of the actual work is still done by 2 crazy people in Japan who think a touch panel on the back is a good idea.

I do hope the OS and core apps are programmed in the west though.

SCEJ just has messed up priorities and project management for something that important to be in their hands. How many years did it take to fix that clock again?

Do we know who does stuff for the Vita OS?

You have SCEE to thank for the back touch panel.

thuway

I really like the design of the new PlayStation store; with the exception of the search. I hope Sony goes with that sort of OS, with assistance from Google, to make an exceptional PS4/Vita combooo.

I really like the design of the new PlayStation store; with the exception of the search. I hope Sony goes with that sort of OS, with assistance from Google, to make an exceptional PS4/Vita combooo.

But what sucks is that the store is its own separate app in the current os. It takes too long to get to it, when it needs to be instant. I'm sure it'll be streamlined to be instant next gen though.

Full Google software integration into PS4 and that would be great. Google know software. SCEJ are not that competent. Or at least give PSN to SCEE because SCEE is way better than SCEJ at software.

Durante

I think the search is fine. Good even. The only problem with the new store is how sloooooow everything is.

Respawn

Banned
But what sucks is that the store is its own separate app in the current os. It takes too long to get to it, when it needs to be instant. I'm sure it'll be streamlined to be instant next gen though.

I don't even bother going into the store because of this. Really needs to be optimized some more. Love the look though.

Raoh

I think the search is fine. Good even. The only problem with the new store is how sloooooow everything is.

I don't find the store to be snappy, but I don't find it to be painfully slow. There is a delay at some spots, about a second, but I only really notice it because I am in so many other online stores like iTunes, Steam etc that are much snappier.

To be fair there we are comparing a ps3 with redesigns on the same hardware compared to my PC.

Moving around in it isn't bad imo but that initial load is fucking garbage.

And it seems to have some kinda of shitty caching mechanisim that unloads if you haven't used the PS3 in some time.

Raoh

Moving around in it isn't bad imo but that initial load is fucking garbage.

And it seems to have some kinda of shitty caching mechanisim that unloads if you haven't used the PS3 in some time.

I don't think that is exclusive to the store alone. I enter redeem codes via the account management section in the xmb, figured it would be faster than loading up the store. At first launch, its painfully slow, would have probably been better to go through the store, after my initial code entering, the redeem code option was fast again.

I don't think that is exclusive to the store alone. I enter redeem codes via the account management section in the xmb, figured it would be faster than loading up the store. At first launch, its painfully slow, would have probably been better to go through the store, after my initial code entering, the redeem code option was fast again.

hmm never seen that happen to me and i hardly use the redeem code option LOL.

Maybe it is a system thing (IIRC the Uncharted games does something similar...) but its pretty prevalent in this new store and adds another notch to the old store being better so far. Hopefully the pimping of the "we can tweak it faster due to HTML5" line amounts to something because shit still needs to be fixed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not sure if they'd use playstation meeting to launch. Just because they did it once doesn't make it 'traditional'.

GDC they'd probably want to talk about new engines and development methods. Whether they announce PS4 early and go into depth at GDC, or announce after and use GDC to just talk generally about next gen engine expectations I don't know.

I don't see why both MS and Sony couldn't do a full hardware and software reveal at E3. 360 did the whole thing in a single (fairly lengthy) presentation and that worked ok I think. Plus, if Sony are early 2014 they might not have enough full games to demo

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sessler reiterates the rumor that one console will be delayed next year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejHrMsoUcg

Not getting that from the video you linked to. At least in the first four minutes of it.

He talks about predicting two consoles coming next year - or at least one. But he doesn't offer any rumour of one being delayed. In fact he seems to think both will come next year, with talk of narrow windows between announcement and release for both MS and Sony.

He seems to be honestly just speculating also.

Not sure if they'd use playstation meeting to launch. Just because they did it once doesn't make it 'traditional'.

Well, it's more traditional than E3 for Sony. They did it with PS2 also. PSone? Anyone remember?

Speaking of Sessler's comments though, he predicts both waiting until E3...although others here seem to have heard differently (?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not getting that from the video you linked to. At least in the first four minutes of it.

He talks about predicting two consoles coming next year - or at least one. But he doesn't offer any rumour of one being delayed. In fact he seems to think both will come next year, with talk of narrow windows between announcement and release for both MS and Sony.

He seems to be honestly just speculating also.

Well, it's more traditional than E3 for Sony. They did it with PS2 also. PSone? Anyone remember?

Speaking of Sessler's comments though, he predicts both waiting until E3...although others here seem to have heard differently (?)

Is there anything to benefit from a game of brinksmanship, waiting til the last minute? Surely by the time you hit spring, sales of current gen won't be badly hit and will be slower anyway during spring and summer, so they could easily announce at or just before GDC.

Maybe waiting until the last moment to ensure they have titles mature enough to show, or yields ok to launch?

Karak

Is there anything to benefit from a game of brinksmanship, waiting til the last minute? Surely by the time you hit spring, sales of current gen won't be badly hit and will be slower anyway during spring and summer, so they could easily announce at or just before GDC.

Maybe waiting until the last moment to ensure they have titles mature enough to show, or yields ok to launch?

Adjusting auxiliaries, packins, managing advertising if spots are noticed in the competitions framework that you waited for to see how your competition was going to go. Last gen MS had 2 complete hardware packages and made their decision in isolation between the 2. However all signs point to a technical convergence in the living room, one that the companies are aware of, and they made even wait a bit more to decide some things.

Hardware wise, normally no help, however the the last gen had some very late changes. It all depends on their manufacturing chain as well.

i-Lo

"Delay". For a delay to occur, there must be a release date mentioned somewhere from which the postpone would have to occur. Unless anyone can point to an official launch date for either console, I'll consider this rather prolific usage of the term a misnomer.

"Delay". For a delay to occur, there must be a release date mentioned somewhere from which the postpone would have to occur. Unless anyone can point to an official launch date for either console, I'll consider this rather prolific usage of the term a misnomer.

Delays can be internal. If a project isn't meeting its planned milestones it's suffering delays, regardless of whether we, the general public, are privy to this.

Massa

I'm guessing you are not a fan of Fifa?

LOVE THE BACK TOUCH PANEL!

I actually am a fan of FIFA, and I think the back touch panel implementation is poor and ruins the game. The delay between charging a shot's power with the touch panel is much smaller than when using the button, making it just too easy to score goals. Every online match I played was boring because of this.

This is just me speculating but in the last 2 episodes of IGN's Playstation Podcast (Beyond!), the Beyond crew talked about how they expect to have PS4 by Christmas next year. In some ways, they even sounded confident. It's possible that they were just assuming/expecting a 2013 release but they're journalists/part of the media and I know they stuff behind the scenes (they even acknowledged that knowing stuff that has not been announced was pretty normal for them).

So yeah, not really a confirmation or anything but going by their recent podcast statements/conversations, IGN's Playstation crew expects PS4 to be out by Christmas 2013.

androvsky

This is just me speculating but in the last 2 episodes of IGN's Playstation Podcast (Beyond!), the Beyond crew talked about how they expect to have PS4 by Christmas next year. In some ways, they even sounded confident. It's possible that they were just assuming/expecting a 2013 release but they're journalists/part of the media and I know they stuff behind the scenes (they even acknowledged that knowing stuff that has not been announced was pretty normal for them).

So yeah, not really a confirmation or anything but going by their recent podcast statements/conversations, IGN's Playstation crew expects PS4 to be out by Christmas 2013.

Wasn't IGN a major source of Vita leaks before it was announced?

You haven't used a Vita, I presume.

Yeah, The Vita OS is terrific (live area is great, notifications work well, peel off to close is a good and simple way to close games/apps) The entire interface is very intuitive and very versatile (works well using touch or actual buttons).

Top Bottom