• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Some people will get hyped for new hardware and ignore the major title or, if it would be a potential system seller, they'll just wait for the future console. Sony and Microsoft have both explicitly stated that's why they wouldn't be talking about next-gen before this holiday season and February would still be in the midst of a lot of quality games on current platforms. Best to wait until things slow down to announce next gen to keep as much sales momentum as possible.
This late in the game, no title is a system seller for these aged platforms.

It makes a great deal of sense to not talk about new systems going into the holiday period, considering such talk would naturally dampen hardware sales - and the holiday season is the biggest period for hardware for the platform holders.

But I don't see Sony taking The Last of Us' release date into consideration in their next gen announcement plans.

Well-made, well-marketed games will sell well on the PS3 and 360 even after their successor announcements; and probably after their successors release.

MARNEY

This late in the game, no title is a system seller for these aged platforms.

It makes a great deal of sense to not talk about new systems going into the holiday period, considering such talk would naturally dampen hardware sales - and the holiday season is the biggest period for hardware for the platform holders.

But I don't see Sony taking The Last of Us' release date into consideration in their next gen announcement plans.

Well-made, well-marketed games will sell well on the PS3 and 360 even after their successor announcements; and probably after their successors release.
I agree, my post from another thread...

Idk , seems at least possible, we're probably at least a year out from launch of the new console. Wouldn't they want to let the cat out of the bag before GDC? Gives some opportunity for devs to talk about the upcoming hardware there, start building up hype for E3 & beyond? Not convinced a ps4 reveal would seriously affect ps3 hardware & software sales. Don't think people who are interested in a ps3 at this point ( or soon) are the same demographic who buy a new console at launch. Can't see how this would affect ps3 software sales, couldn't see myself passing up on a good game just because new hardware is 9- 12 months away. For the record I think ps4 & 720 will launch early 2014,(just a guess) & next holiday season well see the Xbox tv. http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/2...streaming-2013
I'm hoping & guessing that Sony will counter with nasne that holiday season.
https://www.theverge.com/products/nasne/5529
After the holiday spending frenzy 2013, new consoles launch Q1 2014, I believe consumers who buy new hardware at launch will do so at any time of the year & will deplete the stock of new hardware as it will be a limited in production initially.
http://xbox720guide.com/2012/11/micr...arlier-launch/

jaosobno

Well, Sony showed Vita in January 2011. and released in November 2011. (Japan).

If they announced PS4 at "Destination", time period between announcement and final release date (if rumored November 2013 is true) would be almost identical to Vita.

And I doubt that people would miss Sony's AAA titles just because the new system is coming out in 9 months.

jaosobno

Well since no Playstation Meeting has been announced for 2013. (there wasn't one for 2012. either), my guess is they could do it on Destination Playstation. If you ask me, it would be a good idea for Sony to do this. The last thing they need is Microsoft stealing their thunder on E3.

Sid

Well since no Playstation Meeting has been announced for 2013. (there wasn't one for 2012. either), my guess is they could do it on Destination Playstation. If you ask me, it would be a good idea for Sony to do this. The last thing they need is Microsoft stealing their thunder on E3.
That's a retailer specific event,PS4 won't be announced there and my guess is it will be announced after TLOU releases.

The NGP PlayStation meeting wasnt announced until a few weeks before hand so dont look into it not being announced yet. We wont know about it until the month off it happening.

Plus PS meetings are also not a yearly thing and they only do them for hardware. The last time the did one before the Vita was actually pre PS3.

Its completely different then Destination Playstation which is a yearly SCEA marketing thing to show stuff off to press and retailers.

The NGP PlayStation meeting wasnt announced until a few weeks before hand so dont look into it not being announced yet. We wont know about it until the month off it happening.

Plus PS meetings are also not a yearly thing and they only do them for hardware. The last time the did one before the Vita was actually pre PS3.

Its completely different then Destination Playstation which is a yearly SCEA marketing thing to show stuff off to press and retailers.

Didn't they have a Playstation Meeting a few years back to discuss Move?

jaosobno

When was the Vita PS Meeting back in January 2011 announced? I hope Sony announces the PS4 soon.

I have no idea, however if they announced Destination for February, I doubt that any Meetings will take place in January. If they miss late February (Destination) their next chance is GDC in March, however Microsoft will be there too. After that they can have PS Meeting in April or May (since E3 is in June).

I'm thinking Sony definitely wants their own event for PS4 announcement. If they go toe to toe with Microsoft at E3, I'm not sure how that will turn out specially taking into consideration their beyond pathetic marketing skills.

Durango is heavily rumored to be somewhat more powerful than Orbis and Microsoft only needs to show Halo 5, Gears 5 and Modern Warfare 4 (running on new engine with physics and destruction) for all eyes to be on them. Any my guess is that all three will be shown running on X720. Forza 5 would be nice too, but it's optional.

Sony on the other hand has their exclusives, which IMO belong in the very pinnacle of modern gaming, however, hordes of dudebros and raging teens worshipping COD beg to differ, so I'm not sure they can make identical impact.

Of course with the apperance of GT6 (or at least Prologue), decent amount of new AAA IPs, a few expected sequels (Uncharted/Killzone 4, GOW5), truly bombastic reveal show and GREAT launch price they could best Microsoft. But taking into consideration Sony's previous shows featuring lackluster launch titles, giant enemy crabs and ridge racers I'm not so sure things will go smooth.

Majanew

Banned
Durango is heavily rumored to be somewhat more powerful than Orbis and Microsoft only needs to show Halo 5, Gears 5 and Modern Warfare 4 (running on new engine with physics and destruction) for all eyes to be on them. Any my guess is that all three will be shown running on X720. Forza 5 would be nice too, but it's optional

Halo 5, Gears 4 won't be there. Expect Ryse, FM5, Destiny, MW4, at Microsoft's Conference, though.

jaosobno

Gears 4 would be a great showcase of UE4. Perhaps gameplay videos won't be appear but we could see at least some kind of teaser trailers.

Your delay was already published in October 2011 - http://imapsaz.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Amkor-IMAPS-presentation-Oct27-2011.pdf so I doubt this information is as relevant as you thought...
Thanks for the find. Yeah it does change things, the original OPs post that I jumped on is more likely a difference in a AMKOR PDF which reports on the first use case (Game consoles) and your find in a lecture to a professional org on GF using it for AMD GPUs and APUs 8 months later after game consoles use it.

Durango is heavily rumored to be somewhat more powerful than Orbis and Microsoft only needs to show Halo 5, Gears 5 and Modern Warfare 4 (running on new engine with physics and destruction) for all eyes to be on them. Any my guess is that all three will be shown running on X720. Forza 5 would be nice too, but it's optional.

i'm thinking ms will kind of win next gen by default at this point. the wii u disaster has made me question whether either sony or nintendo can actually launch a decent console, at a decent price, in a timely manner, with online and os functionality modern audiences have come to expect.

microsoft is probably in effect going to be the only one that shows up to the next gen party. my guess is ps4 will be half baked in multiple respects and possibly late. whereas i expect ms will be there with a turnkey durango console in a polished state exactly on time in fall 2013.

Marco1

i'm thinking ms will kind of win next gen by default at this point. the wii u disaster has made me question whether either sony or nintendo can actually launch a decent console, at a decent price, in a timely manner, with online and os functionality modern audiences have come to expect.

microsoft is probably in effect going to be the only one that shows up to the next gen party. my guess is ps4 will be half baked in multiple respects and possibly late.
I agree totally.
I used to think that by failing in Japan would always ensure MS were screwed but it seems when you own America, you own the console race.
I pity the day we lose Sony and I think next gen we will.

Baki

Ancient PDFs and unknown configuration of both nextgen consoles. This did not deserve new thread, but oh well. By E3, Jeff will manage to dig up 5 more obscure facts that will stir up gaf users... that is the way of life.

Let him speculate, this is what GAF is for. I for one applaud his enthusiasm and cannot understand why people get so butt hurt over his speculations.

Mario007

microsoft is probably in effect going to be the only one that shows up to the next gen party. my guess is ps4 will be half baked in multiple respects and possibly late. whereas i expect ms will be there with a turnkey durango console in a polished state exactly on time in fall 2013.
All the indications seem to say that Orbis is as powerful as Durago.

SparkTR

I agree totally.
I used to think that by failing in Japan would always ensure MS were screwed but it seems when you own America, you own the console race.
I pity the day we lose Sony and I think next gen we will.

If Microsoft is that mythical one console future *shudder*

people already counting sony out must have totally forgotten how ps3 managed to finally tie with the 360 last september despite launching a year later and starting at $599. it only took a ps3 redesign for sony to start outselling microsoft. talking as if microsoft already has it in the bag is pretty silly imo, they'll probably have yet another US centered console, and that shows why ps3 is outselling 360 ww.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I'm not sure what the Wii U has to do with Sony.

The most advanced and polished software/hardware day-one experience I've ever had was with Sony's most recent platform. It actually gives me a lot of confidence for PS4, and I think with recent moves there's potential for Sony to go above and beyond expectations of what a next-gen console experience should be like from a speed and seamlessness POV.

TheOddOne

people already counting sony out must have totally forgotten how ps3 managed to finally tie with the 360 last september despite launching a year later and starting at $599. it only took a ps3 redesign for sony to start outselling microsoft. talking as if microsoft already has it in the bag is pretty silly imo, they'll probably have yet another US centered console, and that shows why ps3 is outselling 360 ww.
Yep, I think it’s silly too. If anything all the console manufactures are on equal footing next generation. However, just to play devil’s advocate, while selling more hardware doesn’t mean specifically that Sony “won” over anybody though. Take it into account that they took some substantial losses at beginning, which cut deep, made a couple of revisions, but still took some damage in the process. It’s a nice thing to put in the PR that they have sold that amount, but if the profit margins are so small; then you have to question if it is something to cheer about.

It is also a perception thing now though, both Nintendo and Microsoft have both made strides with their brands; Nintendo captured a bigger audience which made them even bigger household name then ever and Microsoft actually made a decent name in a industry dominated by heavyweights Sony and Nintendo. At the end of the day though, Sony still, even with the tough competition, is no joke compared to the others. People perceive them as being the underdog, but they are far from the underdog.

I have no idea, however if they announced Destination for February, I doubt that any Meetings will take place in January. If they miss late February (Destination) their next chance is GDC in March, however Microsoft will be there too. After that they can have PS Meeting in April or May (since E3 is in June).

I'm thinking Sony definitely wants their own event for PS4 announcement. If they go toe to toe with Microsoft at E3, I'm not sure how that will turn out specially taking into consideration their beyond pathetic marketing skills.

Sony on the other hand has their exclusives, which IMO belong in the very pinnacle of modern gaming, however, hordes of dudebros and raging teens worshipping COD beg to differ, so I'm not sure they can make identical impact.

Of course with the apperance of GT6 (or at least Prologue), decent amount of new AAA IPs, a few expected sequels (Uncharted/Killzone 4, GOW5), truly bombastic reveal show and GREAT launch price they could best Microsoft. But taking into consideration Sony's previous shows featuring lackluster launch titles, giant enemy crabs and ridge racers I'm not so sure things will go smooth.
The fuck is this shit lmao

Averon

This industry is way too unpredictable to count anyone out just yet at this stage, even Nintendo. Hell, two of the three new consoles hasn't even been announced. Making proclamations so soon is crazy.

Yep, I think it’s silly too. If anything all the console manufactures are on equal footing next generation. However, just to play devil’s advocate, while selling more hardware doesn’t mean specifically that Sony “won” over anybody though. Take it into account that they took some substantial losses at beginning, which cut deep, made a couple of revisions, but still took some damage in the process. It’s a nice thing to put in the PR that they have sold that amount, but if the profit margins are so small; then you have to question if it is something to cheer about.

It is also a perception thing now though, both Nintendo and Microsoft have both made strides with their brands; Nintendo captured a bigger audience which made them even bigger household name then ever and Microsoft actually made a decent name in a industry dominated by heavyweights Sony and Nintendo. At the end of the day though, Sony still, even with the tough competition, is no joke compared to the others. People perceive them as being the underdog, but they are far from the underdog.

yeah absolutely, i didn't say sony "won" but they're on their way to being 2nd place and that shows how much power the ps brand still has ww. unless nintendo really steps it up with the wiiU and 3rd parties, i don't see them being a "worthy" foe in that race where only ms and sony seem to be competing though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Microsoft isn't a hardware company like Sony is. I don't think there's any way for the next Xbox to be that far ahead of the PS4.

Also, why are some people in here acting like CoD is an Xbox exclusive series? It still does huge numbers on PS3.

Like I said in the other thread, the gaming industry isn't nearly as predictable as some seem to think. No one predicted the Wii would do what it did, just as no one predicted that Sony would come in with the PSone and take the market by storm. We barely know anything about what Sony or MS is doing next gen, but some have already convinced themselves that they know how things will end.

Sid

Like I said in the other thread, the gaming industry isn't nearly as predictable as some seem to think. No one predicted the Wii would do what it did, just as no one predicted that Sony would come in with the PSone and take the market by storm. We barely know anything about what Sony or MS is doing next gen, but some have already convinced themselves that they know how things will end.
It's more of a side effect of lack of any substantial information regarding the next gen consoles and mostly worthless speculation.

TheOddOne

yeah absolutely, i didn't say sony "won" but they're on their way to being 2nd place and that shows how much power the ps brand still has ww. unless nintendo really steps it up with the wiiU and 3rd parties, i don't see them being a "worthy" foe in that race where only ms and sony seem to be competing though.
I think people are too hung up on Wii U’s launch and perceive that they will go that pace the whole generation. Nintendo is always a company that surprises, their best stuff always releases during the middle or at the end of the generation. They will be fine, there will be droughts no doubt but don’t count them out. Same could be said for Microsoft, a lot of what people conclude now is that they won’t invest in new franchises or bring anything interesting. Which is kind of surprising, because it’s often writing something off for no reason. If the next generation goes much like this one, then great games will be plentiful on all platforms. That is all people should really care about.

I agree, there is no way next box is a lot more powerful.
I think they will be very close.

Well, maybe Sony will opt for expensive controller like Nintendo, and will have to keep console itself low cost. Or maybe MS will do the same. Who knows. And who knows what games will define the next generation. I for one didn't expect Guitar Hero generation after GTA generation...

It's more of a side effect of lack of any substantial information regarding the next gen consoles and mostly worthless speculation.

Luckily we are almost in 2013. We have 5.5 months left at most until concrete details/blowouts at E3 (and likely will good leaks along those 5.5 months).

Well, maybe Sony will opt for expensive controller like Nintendo, and will have to keep console itself low cost. Or maybe MS will do the same. Who knows. And who knows what games will define the next generation. I for one didn't expect Guitar Hero generation after GTA generation...

That person should be shown the door immediately.

Playstation meeting was announced like a week before the actual event.

Mario007

Playstation meeting was announced like a week before the actual event.
Yeah this sudden obession with announcing at Destination Playstation is really hillarious.

The PS4 will be announced at a conference in Tokyo, by Andrew House, with Kaz making an appearance, at an event called Playstation Meeting. The even will be announced a week in advance and we'll get a bunch of tech info and early demos running on the device, bunch of developers and publishers being excited for the device and one playable demo of the flagship title- probably GT6 prologue or Uncharted.

jaosobno

Yeah this sudden obession with announcing at Destination Playstation is really hillarious.

The PS4 will be announced at a conference in Tokyo, by Andrew House, with Kaz making an appearance, at an event called Playstation Meeting. The even will be announced a week in advance and we'll get a bunch of tech info and early demos running on the device, bunch of developers and publishers being excited for the device and one playable demo of the flagship title- probably GT6 prologue or Uncharted.

So you are challenging other people's assumptions with assumption of your own? Isn't that the same thing you just called hilarious?

Mario007

So you are challenging other people's assumptions with assumption of your own? Isn't that the same thing you just called hilarious?
Well let's break down my assumptions:

PS4 being announced in Tokyo. Given that SCE is based in Japan, Vita being announced in Tokyo etc. I think it's fairly certain.
PS4 being announced at a Playstation Meeting not at the Destinations. Given that Destinations is a annual event for retailers to coordinate the marketing campaigns and PS3 and Vita were announced at a Playstation Meeting, it's not hard to figure out that it will be a Playstation meeting.
The fact that developers and publishers will be there and will appear enthusiastic? Of course they will, it's common sense (even Kotick was enthusiastic at the NGP unveil).
The fact that Sony will show demos or that there will be a flagship title shown? Once again not that difficult to see this happening, maybe the flaghship title might not be there, but I'm going off from what Vita did.
The fact that Kaz will make a cameo and House will unveil the system? Once again, common sense pretty much dictates this will happen.

Well let's break down my assumptions:

PS4 being announced in Tokyo. Given that SCE is based in Japan, Vita being announced in Tokyo etc. I think it's fairly certain.
PS4 being announced at a Playstation Meeting not at the Destinations. Given that Destinations is a annual event for retailers to coordinate the marketing campaigns and PS3 and Vita were announced at a Playstation Meeting, it's not hard to figure out that it will be a Playstation meeting.
The fact that developers and publishers will be there and will appear enthusiastic? Of course they will, it's common sense (even Kotick was enthusiastic at the NGP unveil).
The fact that Sony will show demos or that there will be a flagship title shown? Once again not that difficult to see this happening, maybe the flaghship title might not be there, but I'm going off from what Vita did.
The fact that Kaz will make a cameo and House will unveil the system? Once again, common sense pretty much dictates this will happen.

Erm... no, it really isn't.

Isn't SCEA and SCEE sort of heading the PS4 project or is that untrue?

It will probably be like the Vita.

EE and EA get a bit more say on the matter but most of the actual work is still done by 2 crazy people in Japan who think a touch panel on the back is a good idea.

I do hope the OS and core apps are programmed in the west though.

SCEJ just has messed up priorities and project management for something that important to be in their hands. How many years did it take to fix that clock again?

Do we know who does stuff for the Vita OS?

Averon

I do hope the OS and core apps are programmed in the west though.

Yup. I've been saying this all generation that Sony needs to shift OS/firmware duties outside Japan. SCEJ has whacked priorities on what to include and not to include in firmware updates.

Top Bottom