• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visa study finds that the avg teen's family spent nearly $1000 for prom in 2014/2015

cr0w

Old Member
I don't remember the DJ's name who had to play it, but I can't see "I Will Remember You" being topped as the worst prom theme of all time.

That's up there with 'Graduation' as a senior year anthem. Ugh.

We were behind the times in MS so 'This Is How We Do It' was heavily in rotation that year.

Coming to prom is a limo always struck me as a waste of money, and it makes you look like an asshole. I went in my '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3 others and my tux was about 100 bucks to rent. Screw all that other stuff.

Spent $25 to see a fun Shakespeare production with my parents. We were into plays.

I still don't understand high school culture. I think the high costs are a matter of spending to stay popular or spending in the hope to be popular. Having no illusions of achieving that, there was zero pressure to be involved at all.

cr0w

Old Member
Growing up on a steady diet of '80s movies I expected high school to be a lot wilder than it actually ended up being. It was closer to Napoleon Dynamite than Fast Times.

Though in hindsight I suppose that's a good thing.

The joke's on you since I didn't go to prom.

I didn't want to go. But everybody told me if I didn't go I'd look back later in life and regret it. So here I am, 26 years later, and I still wish I hadn't gone. If I had it to do over again I would not have gone, or if I did I would've went stag as it would've been more fun overall.

meow

Why is it so expensive!!

My prom was over 10 years ago now. My best friend and I skipped the afterprom to have a sleepover and play zelda four swords instead. Still no regrets and I remember nothing about the prom itself. (Maybe I would've if I dropped $1k and went all out tho).

$1,000 seems very high.

Tux + Spit in the limo + prom tickets + flowers n' such = $350? $400? Idunno. Not a thousand US dollars, though. I know that much.

louiedog

I remember being told so many times about how many of the traditions and activities we did in high school were so important and the best part of life and I was going to remember them forever.

Yeah, sure, I remember them but I only think about them when something like this thread brings them up. I had a fun time at the Prom and going to parties after but it's not even in the top 50 events of my life and I don't lead a particularly exciting one. I'd certainly have some regret about asking my parents to spend a grand on it right now though if that had happened.

lol the only people who think prom is a big deal are the ones who end up not doing much later in their lives.

nah... it's a culture thing... it's HUGE here in the south.

people wear the high school ring along with their college ring and come back for high school and college reunions and homecoming and stuff... it's a different world from when in was in NY.

boiled goose

good with gravy
$1000 does sound like a lot, but it is not outrageous IMO.

Dress/Tux
Limo
The prom itself

What else is there??? $500 seems more reasonable.

Yeah ~$600 seems like a lot but when you factor in renting a limo maybe, buying a suit, after party, I guess I can understand it, it's the $350 for the "Promposal" that's shocking to me. I get that some people do some elaborate things to ask someone to prom, I just didn't think the average would be that high.

jdstorm

Banned
Recently had my sister have her senior prom. Lets just say $1000 was on the low end for girls at her school. Thankfully big online sales kept things pretty reasonable for us. However if she could have she definitely would have spent 3 Grand easily.

Fuchsdh

Holy crap. I think renting a tux was $75-ish, and then we pooled money for a towncar so it was like $30 a person. This was only ten years ago.

(Why are you buying a suit for this occasion?)

Speaking of wasted money on high school BS, I didn't bother with a graduation ring or anything either. My folks would have gotten me one if I had asked, so I tried to get them to give me the money they would have wasted on the ring and I would have put it to better use, but that didn't work.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just went to the shore with my friends instead of spending the money on a Tux, a limo, prom tickets and all that other shit. Well worth it, an entire weekend at the beach instead of a night of awkwardness.

MGrant

What I don't understand are all of these "adult prom" things I've been seeing on Facebook. People who've been out of high school for ten or more years throwing a prom-like party. Why would you do that.

Amory

It's a little excessive, but it is what it is. I personally hated prom but it was a coming of age thing and it's kind of a big deal. So I get it

I was a loser in high school, so I didnt go. But if I had gone, I would have

1)rented a tux

2)had no limo of any sort

3)spent zero on the 'promposal' (wtf invented this word, the dress stores most likely)

So between the tickets (at my run of the mill public high school in tn, they were 30/each for Juniors, and comped for seniors and their dates), eating out($40), renting a tux(150 back then), possibly spending $10 at a kegger after(see the first line of my post, i didnt goto these in high school either LOL), maybe $200 total, in 2002 or 2003?

But anyway, hot damn at spending a grand or more on a prom, wow!!

I didn't go to any dances or the senior prom.

I wasn't popular, didn't have a lot of friends, had 0 interest in those sorts of activities, and no chance at a girlfriend anyways.

Now I am 37, still living with my parents and making ridiculous amounts of money from my job in IT where I work too many hours not because I have to but because I have nothing else to do in my life but work.

Who is laughing now?!

hahaha

hahah

haaa

:-(

milkham

I didn't want to go. But everybody told me if I didn't go I'd look back later in life and regret it. So here I am, 26 years later, and I still wish I hadn't gone. If I had it to do over again I would not have gone, or if I did I would've went stag as it would've been more fun overall.

I didn't go to my prom, I was working and then had dinner with a couple of other guys who didn't go. What happened at your prom that made you regret it so much you seem to still have strong feelings about it?

Astral Dog

Then how are you supposed going to look back and remember YOU wore the prettiest dress at the prom? Its worth it 😢

I spent about £50 given I already had a decent suit. Albeit this wasn't really prom, as it was an end of year ball at university.

The numbers given here are ridiculous. Proposal? Really? Damn, I got lucky that the girl I liked even asked me to go, shame I completely flubbed the evening and basically brought our friendship to an end... Actually, I guess that makes it not lucky, really.

Nista

Pfft, I went to my prom for about an hour. I had broken up with my bf a month or two before, and I was working part-time at EB that weekend. So after my shift, I changed into a dress and drove myself over to the hall to say hi to my friends. Much easier on the pocketbook.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Im so happy proms arnt like this in the uk. Its ridiculous

Sixth form prom was amazing since we could all legally drink and there was a bar there. Buy suit and do pre drinks resulting in one of my favourite ever nights

Then the after party

sa201674

Banned
Well, my school didn't have prom.
Could never imagine myself spending That much money on such an event! U.S. folks are rich kids tbh.

Clockwork

All I remember paying for was a tux rental, corsage, and dinner.

What the heck is this promposal junk and why is it costing so much?

Top Bottom