• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Mana Releases August 29 | Launch Date Trailer Released

day one episode 3 GIF by BBC

Go_Ly_Dow

Might be one of the last few mid-tier S-E JRPGs we get so assuming it's good then show your support to the devs!

Dane

In the shitstorm that has happened with Midori, he "confirmed" a "leak" that Visions of Mana had a delay over the PS4 version.

However, the PS4 version was pulled out from pre orders early last month, with all orders being cancelled and Best Buy claiming said version was cancelled, I can confirm that the game was pulled out from pre orders even at distributors level, with one claiming as cancelled. Not even Square Enix Store has the SKU and PS Store website does not have the PS4 logo on their store entry for the game, only PS5, despite stating it's for both consoles. All other cross gen bundled games does have both consoles icons.

So yeah, something very odd is happening here, Square still stated to be coming to PS4 even from the latest trailer, my guess that it is not cancelled but could have been made into a digital only release on PS4.

Akuji

Pre ordered the collectors.
For the shelf, a huge secret of mana Fan. Was my childhood.

Now digital for the actual game, but which Plattform... prob steam ?

darth.shrimp

Gold Member
I want whip lady and samurai cat in my party.
Samurai catboy looks great, unfortunately it will have serious competition in Swordmaster Val, since they both use the same spirit, and the latter looks even better imho.
Careena is taking a slot as well (probably her Fire class, Godhand, the Chinese dress looks gorgeous on her, although that will also depend on her weapon in that class).
Last slot... probably Palamena as well, as the Sprite kid doesn't really interest me so far.

Keep in mind we haven't seen all their classes yet, the site only has 5 of them for each character but we know all spirits are in the game, and we can see Val's Shadow class in the trailer.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Samurai catboy looks great, unfortunately it will have serious competition in Swordmaster Val, since they both use the same spirit, and the latter looks even better imho.
Careena is taking a slot as well (probably her Fire class, Godhand, the Chinese dress looks gorgeous on her, although that will also depend on her weapon in that class).
Last slot... probably Palamena as well, as the Sprite kid doesn't really interest me so far.

Keep in mind we haven't seen all their classes yet, the site only has 5 of them for each character but we know all spirits are in the game, and we can see Val's Shadow class in the trailer.
Where does it show the classes??!

BTW I’m calling it now: Julei looks the least appealing to me, therefore he will will probably be stupidly OP and I will feel obligated to use him.

Hudo

Gold Member
I wonder how big that romance part will be in terms of story and gameplay.

I can see it being the main motivator/catalyst for the hero/hero's journey. But I wonder what Square are gonna do with that aspect.

Pejo

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I found that one on some random dude's twitter. I assume they're in some sort of media promo pack somehwere for games websites and stuff.

You can see a bunch more here:
Ahhhh man I love this stuff. I’m a sucker for lots of choices of character classes/party composition/weapon types.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yikes, hadn't seen that one a lot I guess. Some of the art and character designs looked cool.
Yeah I thought the characters looked kinda cool. From what I’ve seen though, the game is mostly a visual novel with an occasional battle + a little bit of running around the ugliest world map I’ve ever seen. No towns or dungeons.

I watched a video of the demo and it was like 30 minutes of talking + 2 battle. Couldn’t even find the willpower to download it and try it for myself.

darth.shrimp

Gold Member
Where does it show the classes??!

BTW I’m calling it now: Julei looks the least appealing to me, therefore he will will probably be stupidly OP and I will feel obligated to use him.
Japanese website only at the moment.

There are two "tabs" above each character's name, second one shows 6 classes for each. So yeah, Morley actually does have a Samurai class!

Pejo

Japanese website only at the moment.

There are two "tabs" above each character's name, second one shows 6 classes for each. So yeah, Morley actually does have a Samurai class!
Nice. And if it's like Trials, there will be additional costume variations depending on the final(?) paths you choose between light and dark that they aren't showing here.

NanaMiku

Yeah I thought the characters looked kinda cool. From what I’ve seen though, the game is mostly a visual novel with an occasional battle + a little bit of running around the ugliest world map I’ve ever seen. No towns or dungeons.

I watched a video of the demo and it was like 30 minutes of talking + 2 battle. Couldn’t even find the willpower to download it and try it for myself.
Haven't played any SaGa games, but AFAIK the previous games are also like this.
Cool, the characters have multiple costumes for different class paths again like in Trials.
91y9TeA.png

holy shit so horny

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Haven't played any SaGa games, but AFAIK the previous games are also like this.
Unlimited Saga (the worst game in the series) is like that, maybe Scarlet Grace too.

Saga 1-3 (aka Final Fantasy Legend 1-3), Romancing Saga 1-3, and Saga Frontier 1&2 most definitely have towns + dungeons and are nothing like visual novels.

Rran

No Switch version, eh? I guess it's getting pretty long in the tooth, but Trials of Mana was still a very pretty game. Guess I'll wait for the next gen port, but this looks good.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Square-Enix pumps out so much shit they are their worst competitor. At some point they should rationalize and release less, higher quality AA games. At least I only pick those who check this box anyway, like Star Ocean 2R and soon Dragon Quest III.

Exactly, it’s so frustrating. They keep cranking out all this hideous half baked filler-tier stuff that nobody wants. (See also Tokyo RPG Factory, RIP).

Meanwhile you got indie stuff like Chained Echoes (made by a solo developer) and Sea of Stars that at least LOOK 1000x more appealing. Like the kind of stuff I wish S-E were funding. I don’t get it.

(And yeah SO2R is amazing! This is the blueprint of how they should remake PS1 games that used pre-rendered backgrounds and sprite characters)

Stafford

Did Trials of Mana on PS5 have HDR? With these colors, man it could look so goddamned good on a TV that is perfect for HDR, if implemented right, that is.

Top Bottom