• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

yansolo

I really wish I could just pay 60 bux for this and have everything like an eso/gw2, the grind for stuff can get really tedious and repetitive.

Lork

But you can pay $60 and get everything worth buying. That's because the only thing you should ever spend your money on (aside from cosmetics, which are at your own discretion) is slots for your equipment. The worst mistake you could possibly make is to pay for a weapon or warframe. Even if they weren't hilariously overpriced, all you're doing is paying to not play the game. Imagine you were some kind of crazy rich whale who bought out the whole store: what would you even do? Grinding for all that stuff is the game.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
They should just make a sequel and reset things.

Right now the game is too damn complicated and new people are hopelessly too far behind. (At least that was my impression when I tried around the PS4 release.)

The longer these games go on the worse it gets.

Right now the game is too damn complicated and new people are hopelessly too far behind. (At least that was my impression when I tried around the PS4 release.)

There's nothing particularly complicated about the game's systems at all, especially compared to actual RPGs and MMO's where there's a lot more number crunching and squad synergy required. If anything, the common complaint amongst players is that the modding system is too simple, and relies on the same mods that end up limiting variety in builds.

The worst thing a new player could do with this game is read forums about it. They're bombarded with scattered information about things that they don't need to worry about, or even have access to, yet. If a new player goes in and progresses naturally (aka not being carried to places they can't handle or handed out free shit), they'll figure out everything they need to know eventually.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've tried playing this game like 4 times over the past few years. And in all of them I was shocked at how bizarre and loose everything felt. The first mission always end up with my teammates running around like lunatics with seemingly no objective in mind, and I end up promptly uninstalling it.

As always, it sounds promising... But I think I'll just wait for a proper sequel.

VandalD

When is this update coming?
All they've said is 2017 and they're looking to get it out ASAP. Summer is what they're aiming for, but it's not a promise.
I've tried playing this game like 4 times over the past few years. And in all of them I was shocked at how bizarre and loose everything felt. The first mission always end up with my teammates running around like lunatics with seemingly no objective in mind, and I end up promptly uninstalling it.

As always, it sounds promising... But I think I'll just wait for a proper sequel.
Try playing it solo. If you're doing missions in public groups, you can get players with widely varying skill levels. Anyone could just come in the game and do the mission for you, leaving you trailing behind just picking up loot as they speed run the level. I do everything solo until I want to farm something, then I'll go public or form a group.

derFeef

I might return to this. I still have my characters I guess - the crafting always turned me off somehow, it was complicated and I never felt I knew what I was doing, haha. Also I was always underpowered Ifeel (playing that healer Warframe).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I might return to this. I still have my characters I guess - the crafting always turned me off somehow, it was complicated and I never felt I knew what I was doing, haha. Also I was always underpowered Ifeel (playing that healer Warframe).

Trinity? She's one of the most powerful warframes in the game but she's not very good for new players since she has a lot of rare mod requirements and you need a good weapon with her to kill things. I run my trinity with a roided out shotgun, she's also essentially unkillable if you build her for bless / link. Alternatively there is a way to make her immortal with energy vampire + quick thinking mod which converts damage taken to energy loss instead but since you have infinite energy from spamming EV she can't really die :p

For new players Excalibur and Valkyr are some of the best warframes you can get, they're just strong from the get go and have low mod requirements unless you try to take them into level 50+ enemy stuff.

The crafting system is a bit weird but really easy to deal with once you get it. Warframe is a game that is best played with a wiki open on a second screen lol.

This game is so flipping beautiful at times...

lUMVCpj.jpg

And everything animates wonderfully.

It certainly holds it's own in this generation. More than I thought it would. Definitely something I could keep playing.

Is there a toggle for the HUD? Would like to take some clean screenshots if I can.

Zojirushi

lUMVCpj.jpg

It certainly holds it's own in this generation. More than I thought it would. Definitely something I could keep playing.

Is there a toggle for the HUD? Would like to take some clean screenshots if I can.

It looks good but it has that Unreal Engine 3 look to it sometimes which I'm not too fond of. Only been playing for a couple hours I hope there's some good variety location wise? If this goes down the Destiny route of going through the same areas over and over again I'll probably get out relatively quick.

k1t4j

So this game caught my attention and I was looking at this page http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes for info on the frames and such and Ash, Frost and Wukong caught my attention and got me slightly more hyped to try this game.

Can I drop a few bucks and buy these frames asap or do I have to grind for them? And what do you guys think of them?

(i'm on PS4 btw)

MaLDo

I haven't put a lot of hours into the game, but I remember Warframe because how smooth everything was.

Looking at the future open world update footage, there are lots of stutters where surely the game is loading. Are people ok with this or did DE say something about fixing it?

derFeef

Trinity? She's one of the most powerful warframes in the game but she's not very good for new players since she has a lot of rare mod requirements and you need a good weapon with her to kill things. I run my trinity with a roided out shotgun, she's also essentially unkillable if you build her for bless / link. Alternatively there is a way to make her immortal with energy vampire + quick thinking mod which converts damage taken to energy loss instead but since you have infinite energy from spamming EV she can't really die :p

For new players Excalibur and Valkyr are some of the best warframes you can get, they're just strong from the get go and have low mod requirements unless you try to take them into level 50+ enemy stuff.

The crafting system is a bit weird but really easy to deal with once you get it. Warframe is a game that is best played with a wiki open on a second screen lol.

Yes, Trinity!. When I stopped playing she solely had "heal teammates" abilities I think and that bummed me out a bit, as I played a lot solo. I rocked a bow and then sniper/shotgun, which was quite good. Thanks for the tips, will take a look again!

Lork

So this game caught my attention and I was looking at this page http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Warframes for info on the frames and such and Ash, Frost and Wukong caught my attention and got me slightly more hyped to try this game.

Can I drop a few bucks and buy these frames asap or do I have to grind for them? And what do you guys think of them?

(i'm on PS4 btw)
You can buy them, but you shouldn't. See my post above. What you can do is take a free trial of Twitch Prime and use it to get Frost Prime, which is a better version of Frost that you can't normally get otherwise anymore.

Shengar

Yes, Trinity!. When I stopped playing she solely had "heal teammates" abilities I think and that bummed me out a bit, as I played a lot solo. I rocked a bow and then sniper/shotgun, which was quite good. Thanks for the tips, will take a look again!

If you like playing support, latest two frames (Octavia and Harrow) are specifically designed to fill non-healing support role.

BBboy20

Is there a reason to join a Syndicate?

And do you have to unpack Dragon mods or they unpack for you when you log in because I can't find them.

VariantX

lUMVCpj.jpg

Should be a toggle in the menu. I've already used it to take shots before and in Captura mode to play with filters.

Polk

And do you have to unpack Dragon mods or they unpack for you when you log in because I can't find them.
There is reason to join 3 Syndicates at once - access to mods and exclusive weapons.
I think packs are unpacked automatically. Never bought them though.

Shengar

They're automatically unpacked when you got it, but not telling you what you've got from them unless they are new (and even then you still must checked it from the mods console).

As for Syndicate, they offer you weapon, and warframe augments mods and syndicate weapon that have special trigger effect at their highest level. These can be an easy and steady source of platinum since they are tradeable and players that picked different syndicate have no access to them. You need to grind your reputation with them until you can purchase augments and weapons though.

Calabi

But there is no behind. Your not in competition with other players in this game at all(except conclave but nobody plays that). The game has never been more simpler, it was way more complicated, the community is really helpful. You even have veteran players starting new accounts.

(i'm on PS4 btw)

Buying frames with platinum is the worst thing you can do. Spend them on cosmetics and slots. Start out with Excalibur and you'll be building frames in no time. Wukong is great by the way.

Shengar

Buying frames with platinum is the worst thing you can do. Spend them on cosmetics and slots. Start out with Excalibur and you'll be building frames in no time. Wukong is great by the way.

There's also the fact that prime warframes can be purchased from other players at significantly lower price. No preinstalled potato and slot, but some older and still farmable primes can go as low as 80p which still ended up cheaper than normal frames even when you bought potato and slot separately.

derFeef

I looked up some Warframes. Nidus sounds like my Jam, I love stuff like that. Aw man how long will it take to grind out the components?

Sanjay

Started playing this again, last time I played it was 4 years ago for an hour, I was totally lost and had no idea what to do and gave up. This now looks like a Destiny style set up which is easier to follow which I like. This is like a total different game now.

Also I cant believe this is a free to play game.

Hyun Sai

(i'm on PS4 btw)

The best thing you can do is get Rhino as soon as possible to clear the chart with little or no problem. He is really easy to farm.

Polk

I looked up some Warframes. Nidus sounds like my Jam, I love stuff like that. Aw man how long will it take to grind out the components?
The drop chances for each component are 14.29%, with an expected 50 ± 12 runs to obtain each component at least once.
Each Run = 4 waves, so it's very grindy frame rivaling Equinox.

Started playing this again, last time I played it was 4 years ago for an hour, I was totally lost and had no idea what to do and gave up. This now looks like a Destiny style set up which is easier to follow which I like. This is like a total different game now.

Also I cant believe this is a free to play game.

Give it another shot. The new player experience is significantly better and it's the most updated free2play game I've come across with a really fair business model and it has a bright future ahead. Worth the time investment.

Jumped back in yesterday with some friends and we had a riot. I put a lot of hours into this game, and it looks like I'll be putting in more with this update...

Freeman76

Jumped back into this last night (played a few hours when it released) and the time flew by! It runs so smooth on my PRO.

I was a little confused about the set up progression wise, is it a case of taking it planet by planet? I couldn't find a way to see if I had already done missions or not and as its so long ago when I played I have forgotten what I did.

Thanks

Polk

Jumped back into this last night (played a few hours when it released) and the time flew by! It runs so smooth on my PRO.

I was a little confused about the set up progression wise, is it a case of taking it planet by planet? I couldn't find a way to see if I had already done missions or not and as its so long ago when I played I have forgotten what I did.

Thanks
Unfinished missions should be blinking blue.

Roshin

I tried it again a couple of days ago and it still feels janky and off. I guess I'll wait for the update and see.

Widge

Grinding for all that stuff is the game.

Surely there is a bit more in there in terms of satisfaction? Progressing a nominal plot or something? I'd love to get a reward that is more than just an item - completing something hard, resolving a quest that was rather fulfilling.

I don't mind a bit of grind but my inner F2P warning signals tend to go off once I realise the only thing I'm doing is playing to reach the next gear checkpoint.

Or perhaps I'm looking for a game that doesn't exist. I've not played Destiny or anything like it so I'm not sure if that is actually all those games have to offer.

Hyun Sai

Ouff. Thanks :) I will try playing my current Warframes then ;)

Don't look at the wiki numbers for the drop percentage. It's usually MUCH faster.

For example, Rhino :

The drop chances for each component are 38.72%, 38.72%, 22.56% for Neuroptics, Chassis, Systems respectively as it is for most boss-rewarded Warframe components, with an expected 19 ± 6 runs to obtain each component at least once.

Took me 3 runs, and judging by the feedback, I doubt anyone had more than 5 runs to got all the parts.

Arkhanor

Wow. Been playing Waframe since beta (with some pauses between months). It's incredible how great the support for this game has been. Congratulations, Digital Extremes. You guys are awesome!

VandalD

Surely there is a bit more in there in terms of satisfaction? Progressing a nominal plot or something? I'd love to get a reward that is more than just an item - completing something hard, resolving a quest that was rather fulfilling.

I don't mind a bit of grind but my inner F2P warning signals tend to go off once I realise the only thing I'm doing is playing to reach the next gear checkpoint.

Or perhaps I'm looking for a game that doesn't exist. I've not played Destiny or anything like it so I'm not sure if that is actually all those games have to offer.
There are story quests, but I remember it not being very engaging as a newbie. It takes quite a bit of planet progression for it to feel like a story worth paying attention to. It goes places if you pay attention. There are also challenging missions, but the level of challenge varies based on how prepared you are. A veteran who has a good variety of frames and weapons should usually not have a lot of trouble depending on what the game throws at them.

But yeah, the meat of the game is in the grind for new gear and trying out and leveling up that gear. I made it a goal a long time ago to try to craft everything in the game it's possible to get, but it's not something you have to do.

Thanks
Yeah, you take it planet by planet. Get through all the missions you can on a planet (the ones that blink blue, like Polk said), or just head straight towards a junction and satisfy its conditions in order to gain access to another planet. Also do quests as they pop up for you.

I've tried getting into the game several times, and in the end it's just grinding for the next bit of gear. Could never find a good consistent challenge. Either it's way too easy, or you immediately die. I can understand why, I mean how the hell do you balance the difficulty when everything you equip can vary so wildly in how powerful it is.

I can deal with a bit of grinding to get cool builds, but I never found anything fun to do with my gear. Just onto grinding the next thing.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
But there is no behind. Your not in competition with other players in this game at all(except conclave but nobody plays that). The game has never been more simpler, it was way more complicated, the community is really helpful. You even have veteran players starting new accounts.

Alright. I'll give it another go to claim this Frost Prime.

I happened to snag a TennoCon code from reddit. What are the best things for a beginner to buy from Baro?

reinstalled yesterday after a near 4 year long hiatus.

god damn, they've legit improved EVERYTHING. Every single facet, from hud to sound to controls to graphics. Also lawd at the customization options now

Plus the intro mission is miles better now obv

(didnt even remember i had a maxed necro >_>)

also couldnt find muh curdz, so i assume they'll show up later

They've been focusing on the new player experience for a while now, with most updates tailored for two audiences: new players, and long-time players looking for more.

It is a complicated game though, for sure, as I've found out showing my brother the ropes recently. But once you get the modding system down and craft some weapons and frames everything opens up. Once you start combining elemental mods to make stronger elemental damage (like say, electricity and toxin to make corrosive) and tailoring your weapons to different factions you become a serious ass-kicker. (full breakdown of damage system here)

One more tip for new players: In survival missions you need to periodically activate life support modules to keep going, BUT you don't need to activate them until life support has dropped to around 65%, at which point they'll pop you back up to 100%. Don't activate them as soon as they drop as you're just overcompensating and cutting the game mode short. Keep an eye on the life support percentage on screen and only pop the canisters you NEED to. This is probably the number one mistake I see from new players.

Oh OK, one more new player tip: As a general rule: Stick together. Everything is Warframe is about synergizing and sharing affinity (XP) as a team (no such thing as kill stealing here). So try to stay within 50 meters of each other when you can. Players that do their utmost best to sprint at full speed past everybody else are doing it wrong.

reinstalled yesterday after a near 4 year long hiatus.

god damn, they've legit improved EVERYTHING. Every single facet, from hud to sound to controls to graphics. Also lawd at the customization options now
Seriously.

I hope DE uses this new update to sort-of relaunch Warframe. All those old reviews out there apply to a very old version of this game, and they could really show off all the work they've done up til now. All the new tilesets, melee, archwing, spy missions, Lua, the works. A solid trailer showcasing all the variety would do wonders.

Top Bottom