• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

So I started playing Warframe in closed beta and... unholy mother of fuck it's changed.

From a janky, unpolished mess it got all the way here.

If there's a posterboy for how much a game can change with updates in the modern era, Waframe is it.

Downloaded this afternoon based on this thread and played about 4 missions. So far, first impressions are really positive - having a lot of fun. Getting my head around the different options and game mechanics is going to take a while, but the combat seems solid.

Can't believe I've not tried this before actually!

Uthred

Rivens were never necessary to play end-game Warframe content. They can help, but they're not required.

Lets be honest, very little was "necessary" for end-game Warframe, such as it is. I think at the time it just felt like after all the vacuum nonsense, Rivens were the final straw that showed the developers were designing for what seemed like a different game. Or maybe it was just burn out.

Wallach

Hey so as I'm downloading this, it looks like a game where I could spend a dangerous amount of money.

I'm already kind of confused by their store page. What's the difference between Prime Access and Prime Vault? Edit - okay they have a couple FAQs buried for these two things, though I don't really have enough context yet to know what the value of anything being offered there is. Is everything done through one-time purchases or is there some kind of optional subscription to get some of this stuff on the regular?

Any other codes besides the Twitch loot and "FREESWORD" that folks know of would be cool too.

Hey so as I'm downloading this, it looks like a game where I could spend a dangerous amount of money.

I'm already kind of confused by their store page. What's the difference between Prime Access and Prime Vault? Edit - okay they have a couple FAQs buried for these two things, though I don't really have enough context yet to know what the value of anything being offered there is. Is everything done through one-time purchases or is there some kind of optional subscription to get some of this stuff on the regular?

Any other codes besides the Twitch loot and "FREESWORD" that folks know of would be cool too.

There aren't any other codes right now, but they do periodically pop up through the year.

Prime ___ is their primary monetary method outside of getting people to buy Platinum--the premium currency. They are all items that can be farmed in game, except for the cosmetic pieces like Syandanas, Armor, or alternative skins offered in a pack. Everything is a one time purchase and with regards to Prime Access, there are three tiers of purchasing. Prime Vault is their method of keeping the drop tables from getting diluted by rotating around what Relics--the things you farm Prime parts from--are dropping at a particular time.

Again, basically everything in a Prime Access or Vault outside of the cosmetics/accessories can be obtained free in game. Those just give you immediate access to the items without farm.

Freeman76

Is there a decent guide to the systems thats up to date? I played in the first week and holy fuck its a different beast!

I'm confused... How do I get Frost Prime?

We have an Amazon Prime account but it's my wife's account.

I even tried to look it up but couldn't figure out what I need to do. Just a bunch of sites saying that it is a thing but not how to get it...

I'm probably going to feel real stupid when I get the answer lol.

wwm0nkey

I'm confused... How do I get Frost Prime?

We have an Amazon Prime account but it's my wife's account.

I even tried to look it up but couldn't figure out what I need to do. Just a bunch of sites saying that it is a thing but not how to get it...

I'm probably going to feel real stupid when I get the answer lol.

Once the accounts are linked you just claim your prize on twitch

Wallach

Would you veterans recommend I play through the intro stuff with the starter frame I picked, or just switch to something else as soon as I unlock the arsenal?

"Are you going to be able to control the Operator and swap between him/her and the warframe like a tagteam fighting game?"

You can control the operator, but the operator stuff isn't too fleshed out right now and it sounds like they want to move towards something like that.

Atlas157

boi

CjIoGwl.png

Jeez.. I thought I had a lot.

ILnVcRX.png

Ichabod

Banned
The only F2P game I've ever given money to. DE have set the bar very high for dedication to their player base and amazing continued support for this game. I haven't played in over a year but I've had the itch something fierce lately. As soon as I overhaul my rig in a couple of months I'm going to thaw my space pooch out of cryosleep, toss on my Mag Prime gear, and see what's changed in my absence.

Wallach

Who did you pick?

Excalibur from the first three they offered. I also have the Frost Prime thing from the Twitch loot. I guess right now I could also buy either the Oberon Prime or Rhino / Mag Prime frames from the store? I don't really see an in-game store so I'm going by what is on the site.

Atlas157

The only F2P game I've ever given money to. DE have set the bar very high for dedication to their player base and amazing continued support for this game. I haven't played in over a year but I've had the itch something fierce lately. As soon as I overhaul my rig in a couple of months I'm going to thaw my space pooch out of cryosleep, toss on my Mag Prime gear, and see what's changed in my absence.

I let two of my Kubrows die and ejected into space due to being inactive twice and forgetting about them. :(

Excalibur from the first three they offered. I also have the Frost Prime thing from the Twitch loot. I guess right now I could also buy either the Oberon Prime or Rhino / Mag Prime frames from the store? I don't really see an in-game store so I'm going by what is on the site.

The only way for you to buy Primes is by trading Platinum with other players. You can't buy them directly from the store unless you spend money on Prime Access.

I wanted to love this game, but the amount of stuff you could do, mainly when it comes to modding weapons and stuff, was extremely overwhelming for me when I played (end of 2015).

The gameplay mechanics themselves were fantastic though.

I'm interested in giving it another shot.

Lork

Thank you!

So would Frost prime be a better starter than Excalibur?

I played a few missions last night and this game is beautiful maxed out on my 21:9 display.
Your choice of frame is not actually that meaningful outside of making optimized builds for high level content, and when you're at that point you'll have a wardrobe full of them to pick from as you please. Pick one and use it until it's level 30, then switch to the other one and do the same, then find a new one and repeat ad-infinitum.

There's an in game Market console you'll unlock after the tutorial.

Excalibur is a great starting frame and should fit your needs starting out.

I let two of my Kubrows die and ejected into space due to being inactive twice and forgetting about them. :(

They came out with an incubator upgrade (which I believe is in the clan dojos) that prevents this from happening and also makes most of the stuff about pet companions easier.

does a lot of the crafting still involve waiting for fucking ever for shit to craft? That bothered me when I saw my friends doing it.
Yeah. A Warframe session usually starts with checking out whats complete in the Foundry, doing some missions and then use those resources to set up some new stuff to be constructed before signing off. Thats the rhythm of the game.

Quick use gear usually cooks for a minute, special resources can be 12 hours, weapons and parts can be 24 hours, and frames themselves take the longest at 72 hours of real time.

There's no need to rush the process. Just set the parts in the cooker and when you come back to play the next time it'll be waiting for you. Takes some getting used to at first, but once you do its not an issue.

Jeez.. I thought I had a lot.

ILnVcRX.png
Same. Am nearing 1000 hours myself (have played off an on since the PS4 launch), and that's by far the most time I've ever put into a game.

If I burn out for a while I just move on to other things. Whenever I come back (and I always do) there's always new missions, new items, new gameplay systems, and changes that keep things fresh.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If an operator has sex with his or her warframe is that masturbation?
thinking.gif

Calabi

I last played about three hours ago.

Movement needs to be reworked still. Bullet jump is the game's biggest weakness; most players just rush through levels as fast as possible, bypassing everything. Combat itself still feels weak; the game really needs much better hit feedback and some other stuff. I could go for, like... pages on how I'd redesign things, though.

Of the frames I've used, Frost Prime is my second favorite frame after Ember Prime. Valkyr's up there too, and I do love mass healing my team with Trinity.

Movement is one of the best things about this game. Like they had coptering you could only use it with a few weapons but everyone used it on those few weapons. Because it was faster and fun. There was lots of talk and discussion around it, and everyone was basically waiting for it to be nerfed. And they did the complete opposite. The created a whole new movement system which was faster and way more fluid. Which is kind of unheard of and ridiculous. They made a new movement system which makes you able to complete their levels quicker, thats insane, but its not because it makes the game better.

The whole way the movement system flows is perfect, you can maintain momentum through the jumps, no slowing down, you can aim it and change direction instantly. You can slide and double jump, you can even glide. You can also do a melee attack which does major damage. You can jump of walls. You can fly round the levels like a fricking ninja.

There are certain modes where players dont complete missions so quickly, like the syndicate missions where you search for insignias. You also dont have to play with other players. Bullet jumping around is its default speed. Rushing is when they leave you behind on the bloody lift or they complete the mission before you found enough reactants.

I think the hit feedback is pretty good. Like slash weapons eviscerate enemies, impact causes them to go flying. Each hit cause a splatter of blood, or sparks to come out. They have stun animations. It rewards accuracy. Aiming for heads and weak points kills enemies faster.

I dont know, I think the gameplay loop of shooting,meleeing, running and jump is almost perfect, it would be hard to make it much better.

"Are you going to be able to control the Operator and swap between him/her and the warframe like a tagteam fighting game?"

You can control the operator, but the operator stuff isn't too fleshed out right now and it sounds like they want to move towards something like that.

Woaw:O Incredible. I'm still to play the Second Dream, but I feel invested now in seeing what this will all lead to!

I hope the operators will have a nice set of character customization options. Currently the operators look somewhat strange in the character models ( hair, eyes, facial features)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I literally just started playing again last month and this game gets better and better in general. A few changes i haven't been a huge fan of but the improvements are astronomical.

Time to actually grind out arch wing mods

IvorB

I literally just started playing again last month and this game gets better and better in general. A few changes i haven't been a huge fan of but the improvements are astronomical.

Time to actually grind out arch wing mods

Yeah every time I log in after a break there's just so much new stuff been added. I remember playing at the beginning when there were just menus and then one time I log in again and there's a whole Mass Effect-style personal spaceship.

Is there any kind of character customization like shaders or vanity slots to stand out from people using the same gear? How much can you tweak your "look?"

Tovarisc

Is there any kind of character customization like shaders or vanity slots to stand out from people using the same gear? How much can you tweak your "look?"

Most of accessories cost €, but you can go absolutely ham with color sliders for frames and weapons.

That is a new variant of posterboy Excalibur, Excalibur Umbra.

Umbra Warframes are relics of the Orokin era. Umbra is a new line being introduced in the Sacrifice update, while we've had Primes, the original Warframe models, since Founders program.

Excalibur Umbra was designed to bypass Excalibur Prime for the Changyou (chinese publisher) Founders/version of the game, since Prime is a founder exclusive.

So is the Excalibur Umbra as good as the Excalibur Prime stats wise? Because I feel really bummed about maining Excalibur but not being able to get him at his best because I didn't buy Founder's Access in 2012.

Each frame has five different regions you can color by hand, there are custom skins, and skins that are more than just skins (as in different geometry for armor and helmets), Syndanas which are things like capes and other accessories, special armor attachments you can use on the chest, as well as individually on each arm and leg. You can also apply custom animations (each warframe comes with three animation sets, but you can also spend platinum to use any warframe's animations on any other warframe). Besides that you can choose whether to show holstered weapons or not, per weapon, as well as buy different holster positions (ie. sword across back, or sword on the hip etc.), and weapons have their own skins, cosmetic attachments and editable color schemes as well.

You also get three different saved loadouts for your visual customizations for each frame.

Most of these options cost platinum, but sometimes there are special timed missions (Alerts) that offer helmet variants and weapon skins as rewards.

Fashion frame is a very real thing, and I'm sure DE is making a killing on all the options they provide. DE puts out special skin variants on a regular basis, but they also have a system called Tennogen where non-DE artists can make their own skins and get a cut of the proceeds from selling them in the Warframe store. There are a ton of amazing creations in Tennogen, and thats been the biggest platinum sink for me.

And that's not even going into the cosmetic customizations for pets, sentinels, your ship, your operator, your archwing, and your clan dojo. The way you create your clan dojo (hallway by hallway, room by room) and all the customization options there is one hell of a rabbit hole all of its own.

On PC there is also support for Steam Workshop, where people make skins that can only be bought through steam for cash. For example, here's default Valkyr on the left, and my look on the right.

So is the Excalibur Umbra as good as the Excalibur Prime stats wise? Because I feel really bummed about maining Excalibur but not being able to get him at his best because I didn't buy Founder's Access in 2012.

If he matches the chinese build he'll have higher base energy I believe.

Fashion frame is a very real thing, and I'm sure DE is making a killing on all the options they provide. DE puts out special skin variants on a regular basis, but they also have a system called Tennogen where non-DE artists can make their own skins and get a cut of the proceeds from selling them in the Warframe store. There are a ton of amazing creations in Tennogen, and thats been the biggest platinum sink for me.

Yep.

There were people who were PISSED at the Helminth Cyst thing when there was no cure because it fucked with their fashion frames.

Top Bottom