• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

iiicon

Warframe is a game I downloaded after I built my computer a little under two years ago, and while I was impressed I didn't stick with it long. Too many other games caught my eye. Maybe it's time I gave this game a real chance.

Is the frame that's available with Twitch Prime Loot any good?

"Warframe is a game I downloaded after I built my computer a little under two years ago, and while I was impressed I didn't stick with it long. Too many other games caught my eye. Maybe it's time I gave this game a real chance.

Is the frame that's available with Twitch Prime Loot any good?"

Frost Prime is one of the best frames in the game.

Hyun Sai

"Yeah I believe Dark Sector was one of the first "next gen" games announced for the PS3/360 era. It also looked far more like what Warframe is now than what was released which was some kind of ok stealth action game with mutants. It's amazing how long and dedicated they have been to bringing this vision to life and one of the reason I bought a founders pack all those years ago when Warframe was just starting up."

Fun fact: The main character of Dark Sector is Hayden Tenno.

The player characters in Warframe are called "Tenno." They're not really related, but it's a nice callback.

Excalibur Proto Armor skin is basically Hayden Tenno armor. I bought it back in the days when it first released (was a 7 days event if I remember well). It's available now in the market permanently.

DgDzg9q.jpg

Fun fact: The main character of Dark Sector is Hayden Tenno.

The player characters in Warframe are called "Tenno." They're not really related, but it's a nice callback.
There's far more than that, the Lotus symbol is used in Dark Sector (to indicate black market shops IIRC) and is of course the symbol of the Tenno and their "leader" The Lotus. Two of the earliest warframes, Excalibur and Nyx, are heavily based on the protagonist and Nemesis armors in DS, and you could even buy a skin for the former that made him look even closer.

And lore-wise it's heavily implied that warframes contain some link to the evil "infestation", which is one of the factions infects and consumes other races - a clear parallel to the plague in Dark Sector. In fact it has seemed like DE has toyed with the idea of establishing that the two games are linked and take place in the same continuity, though they've not been willing to commit to it officially.

There's far more than that, the Lotus symbol is used in Dark Sector (to indicate black market shops IIRC) and is of course the symbol of the Tenno and their "leader" The Lotus. Two of the earliest warframes, Excalibur and Nyx, are heavily based on the protagonist and Nemesis armors in DS, and you could even buy a skin for the former that made him look even closer.

And lore-wise it's heavily implied that warframes contain some link to the evil "infestation", which is one of the factions infects and consumes other races - a clear parallel to the plague in Dark Sector. In fact it has seemed like DE has toyed with the idea of establishing that the two games are linked and take place in the same continuity, though they've not been willing to commit to it officially.

So you see, the thing is Dark Sector was their love project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpr1DCQNyg4

When they found a publisher they made it change to what it was when it released. But DE never forgot that concept, and when they faced the identity crisis that was "we're just porting games" and decided to do their own thing, they took back that concept. And thus Warframe was born.

So they are not related canonically, but they are born from the same concept. Hence why we have Dark Sectors in the game.

iiicon

"Warframe is a game I downloaded after I built my computer a little under two years ago, and while I was impressed I didn't stick with it long. Too many other games caught my eye. Maybe it's time I gave this game a real chance.

Cool! I better get playing then.

JackHerer

This game has always interested me and this sounds pretty cool. I haven't jumped in because I can't seem to get over how much I dislike the art style, particularly the Warframe designs... haven't seen a single one that I genuinely like.

This update looks quite impressive though.

thumb

Banned
This game has always interested me and this sounds pretty cool. I haven't jumped in because I can't seem to get over how much I dislike the art style, particularly the Warframe designs... haven't seen a single one that I genuinely like.

This update looks quite impressive though.

If you don't like the default look, you should check out some Tennogen, which are cosmetics made by artists from outside the company. All Tennogen items are officially approved by DE and can be purchased in-game:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/TennoGen

Darvan

I enjoyed warframe but the issue with the game for me is; the way it explains things to players, there's a lot of content in the game "Great Thing" and I swear the sense of being overloaded with all the content and systems which [DE] doesn't explain completely. It's definitely not a game you can step away from and feel up to speed upon return in my opinion.

Shengar

I pretty much stopped playing since they changed the way you farm prime parts. The rifts make a lot of warframes obsolete, most of the time its just one gigantic cheese fest and it becomes crazy boring.

One example is speed farming with volt on extermination maps, they can boost you to speeds that make it extremely difficult to even control your character, also at the time I played they were causing some glitches IIRC.

Killing will be done with any of the cheese weapons, before it was the synoid simulor, now its the tonkor again.

there are so many weapons but its incredible how bad some of them are compared to others, what do we have such a range of weapons for when youre kinda "forced" to play with those cheese factory items if you want to at least see an enemy.

I spend hundreds of hours trying to make "useless" (because they arent crazy OP) stuff into actually useful things by maxing prime mods and trying tons of different builds but that update made them obsolete and only really viable if you dont want to be productive.

Its all about the cheese which is a shame because with that kind of movement it could be really fun but ultimately you end up just sitting there and pressing 2 buttons once per round/wave.

Anyways, that looks pretty sweet so Ill definitely give it a shot.
To cheese or not to cheese is depends on you and your teammates. Which is why playing with friends could be more fun if all of you agreed to not cheese the game. Even then on public game, it's not that easy to cheese when you're expected to go alone.

In case of Exterminate and other non-endless mission, I guess it's not unusual for people to want go through those quickly. The real stars of the game is always endless mission especially survival and excavation

MattAces

*high five*

Digital Extremes doesn't sleep. They've been putting everything into this game at a crazy pace.

Think Dying Light. During the day is exploration and quests but at night its about high challenge, multi-stage boss battles against ginormous enemies - you see one at the end of the demo.

How up to date the PS4 version usually is?

atpbx

There is no hyperbole on my part. I used to play Warframe on PC 3 years ago, tested it on PS4 since last week. It's not very good framerate wise, and I'm not even at the point of doing the most extreme shit I was doing on PC endgame. It's a problem widely known, and as I sayed, perhaps it's better on the PRO.

But anyway, just wanted to say that the game in its current state is not a good argument on "why Destiny 2 is not 60FPS on console when Warframe does it."

Yeah, that's nonsense. As the PS4 version hasn't had performance problems for over 18 months.

xuchu

Don't know much about warframe but this just seems like it does everything destiny sets out to do but better.

How is the sword wielding ninja class? Any good?

thumb

Banned
Don't know much about warframe but this just seems like it does everything destiny sets out to do but better.

How is the sword wielding ninja class? Any good?

All warframes can use swords. If you mean Excalibur, he's a badass.

DocSeuss

They did completely rework movement, depending upon when the last time you played, with the addition of bullet-jump Max Payne action and wall-hopping and wall-latching.

And your complaint about the bosses is one the devs agree with - they've been trying to come up with new bosses that aren't invulnerable or just massively scaled up in terms of armor and damage. We'll have to see what that means when it comes time to fight these Eidolons.

I last played about three hours ago.

Movement needs to be reworked still. Bullet jump is the game's biggest weakness; most players just rush through levels as fast as possible, bypassing everything. Combat itself still feels weak; the game really needs much better hit feedback and some other stuff. I could go for, like... pages on how I'd redesign things, though.

Of the frames I've used, Frost Prime is my second favorite frame after Ember Prime. Valkyr's up there too, and I do love mass healing my team with Trinity.

thumb

Banned
I last played about three hours ago.

Movement needs to be reworked still. Bullet jump is the game's biggest weakness; most players just rush through levels as fast as possible, bypassing everything. Combat itself still feels weak; the game really needs much better hit feedback and some other stuff. I could go for, like... pages on how I'd redesign things, though.

Bullet jumping is incredible and I love it. If you watch the plains of eidolon vid, you'll hear the lead designer talk about how Warframe is about speed and movement. Players moving quickly through missions is not (usually) a problem, at least from the perspective of the game's design.

"Movement needs to be reworked still. Bullet jump is the game's biggest weakness; most players just rush through levels as fast as possible, bypassing everything. Combat itself still feels weak; the game really needs much better hit feedback and some other stuff. I could go for, like... pages on how I'd redesign things, though."

I can't agree, there are plenty of super satisfying weapons. Latron Prime, Dread, Cernos Prime, Soma Prime, Amprex, (formerly) Tonkor, Dual Grakatas, all quite lovely.

Bullet Jump is the best addition to the game, giving a "real" alternative for speed movement over coptering from way back. Players are going to rush through the levels as fast as possible whether there's fast movement or not, because there's no reason to linger around. You're playing space ninjas, not space tanks. The agility and mobility are one of the most fun aspects of the game.

Xyber

Have they said anything about how balanced it will be for someone completely new going in and playing with a friend who already has over 1500 hours in it?

Just get the feeling like I would not be able to catch up to where he is at, like ever.

Tried to play twice but the menus to choose missions left me so confused.

Every mission I played was stupid easy or impossible.

Every update looks awesome though.

"Have they said anything about how balanced it will be for someone completely new going in and playing with a friend who already has over 1500 hours in it?

Just get the feeling like I would not be able to catch up to where he is at, like ever."

So the thing with progression in this game is that past a certain point it's mostly lateral and not vertical. It doesn't take much time to get up to a point where you'll be able to play most content with your friend, even if you're not quite as well equipped as him. You can have maxed mods and the best weapons/frames way before 1500 hours (maybe a couple hundred) and he's not going to outpace you any further.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Warframe is a game I downloaded after I built my computer a little under two years ago, and while I was impressed I didn't stick with it long. Too many other games caught my eye. Maybe it's time I gave this game a real chance.

Is the frame that's available with Twitch Prime Loot any good?

Holy shit thanks for the heads up on this. A free Prime Frame is cool, but fucking FROST PRIME? Are you kidding me? Wooow. I thought it was gonna be one of the lesser Primes, not literally one of the best ones in the game. I usually don't even look at Twitch Prime loot since I'm primarily on console, so I would have completely missed this if I hadn't seen your post. Thanks!

xuchu

All warframes can use swords. If you mean Excalibur, he's a badass.

Ah, that's the one. Sorry I don't know much about the game. Only that I saw steam ads when that class was being released? or reworked?

Any good gameplay videos showcasing the Excalibur class and sword gameplay to give me more of an idea to how it plays?

nOoblet16

I use this game as an example of just how much you can change a game, the engine, the structure, the gameplay while keeping the same client rather than starting fresh with a new game altogether.

I love Destiny and I am eagerly waiting for Destiny 2 and I think it's a sequel and not just an expansion. But Digital Extreme has shown that you don't necessarily need a fresh start to change your game even if the original tools used to create the original games were sub par.

Kayant

when it came out on ps4, pretty sure you would take a long time to unlock something, i remember buying Frost, played with him for few days then switched to another game
Which isn't P2W again. P2W is about being able to buy advantages against people. You paid to unlock an optional frame early.

That said the way to get frames without paying for them isn't obvious until recently where it has been improved but still could do with some work imo.
The official drop table page is live (although not polished up or anything, people just found it trawling the internet). DE is very much not commenting on the issue. This page will probably be cleaned up and officially pushed pretty soon though.
Thanks for that. Looks like I might be back soon.

Uthred

Played hundreds of hours but gave up on the game after it started going in a direction I didnt like with those weird RNG mods, are they still a big part of gearing up?

Played hundreds of hours but gave up on the game after it started going in a direction I didnt like with those weird RNG mods, are they still a big part of gearing up?

The purple ones? People have worked out the math and found that they don't actually add all that much to weapons that are already meta because of the scaling system in place, and they can help non-meta weapons. But it's really a wash, and it sounds like DE will probably just back away from it slowly at this point because the community hasn't been super happy about them.

I would tell you to not worry about them. The extreme min/maxers will probably want them but there isn't any content in the game that requires them.

Gattsu25

Banned
Do we know if this Warframe expansion is actually running at 60FPS on consoles? Even as a corridor shooter it apparently wasn't a solid 60......I generally do not expect open world games to run at 60 on consoles.
That's probably because Warframe throws around more particles and special effects than most console games.

I would expect 30-60fps for consoles.

thumb

Banned

Rivens were never necessary to play end-game Warframe content. They can help, but they're not required.

Korezo

I hope they do a system transfer again, but have the option to transfer from ps4 to pc. Don't want to invest time on ps4 version anymore so I stopped playing, donn't want to start over either. So I just get on to when major updates like this happen.

VandalD

I hope they do a system transfer again, but have the option to transfer from ps4 to pc. Don't want to invest time on ps4 version anymore so I stopped playing, donn't want to start over either. So I just get on to when major updates like this happen.
I think they've ruled out this ever happening. It was only ever from PC to console, not the other way around. But maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Too bad this is free to play and based on grinding :/
Any game with crafting and XP bars to fill up is based on grinding. What matters is if you enjoy actually playing the game. Then filling up those bars is either something you deal with or something else to enjoy.

How up to date the PS4 version usually is?
I think PS4 generally gets an update around a month after the PC version. Plenty of console folks around to correct me on that too.

Zarth

Great game.

Some things a little too grindy but you have a thousand hours or more ahead of you before thats a problem.

Top Bottom