• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

Any quick recommendations/tips for noobs before diving in?

I've played maybe two or three on levels on PC/XBO years ago.

If you are starting new then pick Excalibur to get the better starting frame that will save you bunches of headache later. Also don't be like me and refuse to use Public for like the first 100 hours. Some bosses are tough on your own, particularly if you picked Mag like I did. Also another mistake I made was not upgrading my mods for a very long time. Obvious candidates for early upgrading are those that improve health, shield, power bonuses, and anything that increases weapon damage.

Edit: Also anyone starting out use this code. It's a free weapon (with an upgrade that doubles its mod capacity). Not a great weapon mind you, but you're not going to have great weapons at the start. The real bonus however is that it comes with a free weapon slot (which normally costs platinum).

saulo27w7d8z.jpg
www.warframe.com/promocode

VandalD

?

When I last played this game they had like two mission types that were identical, set on small interior levels.
Sounds like you played about 3 years ago. Just about every planet has its own tileset now, with the ships around the planet having common ship tilesets depending on the faction.

That is actually really damn cool.

I've played quite a lot of Warframe (for me at least, 400 hours), and there was one thing I wished for: I quite liked the world of Warframe and I remember saying that I wished there were more opportunities to experience the "normal" people's lives in the game.

This is quite an step way beyond what I wished for. :p
Yeah, they gave us a taste of interacting with actual people in the world with Nidus's quest, and it was pretty much the best part of that quest and really well received. Glad they're diving in further with that. Should help with telling newer players what they're even fighting for, if they make it accessible.
Any quick recommendations/tips for noobs before diving in?

I've played maybe two or three on levels on PC/XBO years ago.
NoblesseOblige has good advice above. Start with Excalibur. He's the best of the three starters at taking a hit, scales well into endgame, and is the most annoying of the three starters to get if you don't choose to start with him. Learn how to mod your weapons and warframe. It's very important and how you become more powerful. Would advise not spending your starting platinum on anything but weapon or warframe slots. If you have more specific questions, do post in the PC or PS4 threads linked earlier. People will be happy to help.

Foxxsoxx

I haven't played since launch and I never really gave it a chance but this looks way more appealing than it did before.

DLing right now on PS4 if anyone wants to play. I want to try it out again so if I know this is worth getting hyped for.

Head.spawn

If you are starting new then pick Excalibur to get the better starting frame that will save you bunches of headache later. Also don't be like me and refuse to use Public for like the first 100 hours. Some bosses are tough on your own, particularly if you picked Mag like I did. Also another mistake I made was not upgrading my mods for a very long time. Obvious candidates for early upgrading are those that improve health, shield, power bonuses, and anything that increases weapon damage.

Edit: Also anyone starting out use this code. It's a free weapon (with an upgrade that doubles its mod capacity). Not a great weapon mind you, but you're not going to have great weapons at the start. The real bonus however is that it comes with a free weapon slot (which normally costs platinum).

www.warframe.com/promocode

Thanks. Also noticed there was something from Amazon Prime/Twitch Prime Loot.

Just logged back in, apparently my account is 4 years old, holy hell.

Horp

And this is NOT Warframe 2. Look how the game is changing and growing, and still just additions to the same game.

Meanwhile, in the world of Destiny...

hesido

I remember downloading warframe, I understood nothing of the UI, how to play, get to a mission(?), what to do. This should make it even more complicated.

Melchiah

When you need them: slots for more warframes (1 for 20 platinum) or weapons (2 for 12 platinum).

Thanks for the tip. =) I'll keep that in mind. Which of these two options would be better, two slots or one slot and four weapons?

I just talked with my old Destiny partner, and he'll be helping me with the beginning stages of the game. Hopefully I end up enjoying it, as I need a game to fill the void after leaving Destiny and Let It Die behind.

EDIT: There's also a free Booster Pack on PSN store, that gives you 100 Platinum.

I played some 500h of Warframe on PS4 back in the day and recently a bit on PC... this looks great and DE is still doing an awesome job of improving the game. I might have to try it again on the relatively fresh PC account, but one thing that has always kind of irked me is that the powers are not that great. You mostly shoot and punch/slash, occasionally throwing in a room-clearing power; the other powers feel like an afterthought. I'm a bit spoiled by Mass Effect's constant juggling of guns and space magic. How is it these days - have powers been rebalanced or changed to be more useful?

One tip for beginner players - Syndicate rep is an end-game progression system. Don't feel the need to jump into their schemes until you've maxed out on some gear and have a nice trove of credits and "extra" prime parts lying around. Leveling them up has some stiff costs, and also nets you enemies (enemy factions to the ones you work for will actually hunt you down randomly mid-mission at times).

Save that stuff for later. Same with Sorties (high level missions that change out daily).

You can only get to level 30 with weapons and warframes, but because you can "prestige" each one and further optimize them with every reset (by using an item called forma), you can make a damn powerful end-game arsenal of frames and weapons capable of taking on enemies level 100+. Even items that were available on day one in Warframe are still viable for high levels.

i liked the game back when i bought the PS4, but it was too repetitive and P2W, how is it now ??
There's nothing pay to win here. Co-op is the meat of the game and doesn't require real money, and PvP is balanced completely separately.

Kayant

Haven't got a chance to watch the VOD of the stream but were there any questions about the datamining incident and their process on publishing official drop tables?
i liked the game back when i bought the PS4, but it was too repetitive and P2W, how is it now ??
It's not P2W because it's a primarily PVE game.

It's more Pay to unlock faster or enjoy sooner. It's a PVE game and in conclave you can buy any advantage because gets the same base gear.

Thanks for the tip. =) I'll keep that in mind. Which of these two options would be better, two slots or one slot and four weapons?

Probably the two frame slots. In the end you're going to find a few weapons that excel above the rest and prioritize them. Like I've used the same primary weapon for over 90% the game's content. You could probably get away with the starting 8 (I think?) by having 2 really good options for primary/secondary/melee, then use the remaining 2 for gear you're leveling. Meanwhile the frames are what provide greater variance and have different functions so I'd rather have more available.

I'm a collector so I've ended up with a slot for every frame and I'm at like 60 weapons right now.

Apparently last time I played (4 years ago) I started with MAG instead of Excalibur.

Welp, time for you to get Rhino!

Lemonte

Tried it 4 years ago when it launched. It ran like shit on my pc back then. Now I have upgraded my pc so might have to give it a second chance.

Some more info from a PC Gamer interview with Rebecca Ford:

In the day, you will experience the Warframe you know and love—kill Grineer, get resources, build awesome stuff, get stronger. This could be an endless loot experience if you aggressively upgrade and customize and look to trade off your finds with others. ... And that's just the day. At night, this is when even the Grineer flee. This is what we want to be some of the hardest content in Warframe. At night, the Plain comes alive with massive, five-story high monstrosities that ascend from the water and roam the landscape in search of Warframes to destroy and consume. Where before you've battled one against many, these Eidolons will require a sustained, coordinated team approach if you have any hope of bringing one down at all.

Does it have any procedural generation, or is it all pre-made and the same each time you explore it?

Good question. There will be random combat encounters in Plains of Eidolon with the geographical layout remaining consistent. To give you a better sense of what I mean, enemy encounters and combat are randomized every time you play as well as a continuous day and night cycle that affects how enemies operate—adding even more variety and excitement to Landscapes.

How many players can be in an instance of the area at once?

The Ostron Town of Cetus is introduced to players in Plains of Eidolon and this first introduction can have 50 players in an instance. This town then leads to the Plains where combat and quests take place where you continue with your standard one to four-player squad.
(Full Article at PC Gamer)

This area really reminds me of the "Acts" in Diablo 3. Same landscape, but dynamic events.

Also interesting to see the seamless transition from the Cetus market (am assuming dedicated servers like the one's hosting the game's current space-station-like relays) into the classic 1-to-4 player cell instances. There was a time DE was hoping you could walk through a door in one of the game's relays and right into your custom clan dojo (right now you have to leave the relay and load back into your ship before then selecting to load into the Dojo). Maybe that's coming down the line too.

VandalD

Apparently last time I played (4 years ago) I started with MAG instead of Excalibur.
That's not ideal, but it's fine. You'll just probably want to farm the Rhino warframe from the assassination boss on Venus at some point, so that you have a frame that can take some hits. Most people end up doing this anyway, since Rhino is very good.
So ermm should I play this now or wait?

I enjoyed Destiny and generally love loot games.
It's worth playing as it is now. It's free to play, so give it a shot. It's particularly good if you like getting around in maps quickly. Once you learn how to use the movement system effectively, it's good fun just speeding through areas.

nOoblet16

When we learned that Destiny was 30FPS on consoles, people told me that the map sizes, physics, and peer-to-peer connections prevented it from being 60FPS. When I pointed out that Warframe had those things, I was told that Warframe maps are smaller. Not anymore.

I think this is some healthy competition.
Warframe is not 60FPS, it just doesn't have a 30FPS lock. Even on Pro with boost mode it runs at a very variable framerate and that's with the small areas. You can bet it's going to be even more close to 30 with that open world.

Also both are different games with different requirements.

Deku Tree

Did they say anything about a PS4Pro Patch?

Is war frame hard to get into for a beginner? Since it’s f2p is it very grindy?

FiraB

Banned
Just when you think your warframe time is at an end they do this crazy stuff...go damnit DE!

Why wont you let me leave! Go damn you sweet beautiful bastards...

This is how you make a game as a service, suck em in and never let em go.

Warframe is the only f2p game where I'm okay with it...

And the support for this game is kinda insane...

Those who stuck through it like me since PS4 launch and see the game now as it is (or the future) will be be astonished at how much free content the devs have been pumping out..

The only critism I had for the game is that it's REALLY newbie unfriendly....if you are looking at it with interest and want to try it out, the amount of systems in this game is staggering....this is not just a simple shooter...

Hyun Sai

When we learned that Destiny was 30FPS on consoles, people told me that the map sizes, physics, and peer-to-peer connections prevented it from being 60FPS. When I pointed out that Warframe had those things, I was told that Warframe maps are smaller. Not anymore.

I think this is some healthy competition.

Nah, frame rate on PS4 (at least the normal one) is bad. On many maps depending on the field of view and the action on screen, it goes under 30FPS. Don't know about Pro. If you want locked 60FPS, go PC for this game, not PS4.

At least Destiny 1 had locked 30FPS in all situations the year I played it (PS4).

I wish I liked this game more. When I got to the initial guild/social stuff years ago it was way too complicated so I quit.

Foxxsoxx

Played for about 2 hours tonight and enjoyed it.

Finished the main quest scenario you start out with. I love the shooting and the movement to death but I could see how the mission/area/level design structure could get old real quick.4

I gotta ask though, what the fuck is with the enemy design? I've seen square block head men and TLOU rejects and they're so uglyyyyyyyy D:

I gotta ask though, what the fuck is with the enemy design? I've seen square block head men and TLOU rejects and they're so uglyyyyyyyy D:

The Grineer are a whole race of clones, so their entire thing is that basically every biological part is failing at this point in the future. Just replace what parts are falling off with mechanical bits, it's fine!

Haven't got a chance to watch the VOD of the stream but were there any questions about the datamining incident and their process on publishing official drop tables?

The official drop table page is live (although not polished up or anything, people just found it trawling the internet). DE is very much not commenting on the issue. This page will probably be cleaned up and officially pushed pretty soon though.

xviper

It's not P2W because it's a primarily PVE game.

It's more Pay to unlock faster or enjoy sooner. It's a PVE game and in conclave you can buy any advantage because gets the same base gear.

when it came out on ps4, pretty sure you would take a long time to unlock something, i remember buying Frost, played with him for few days then switched to another game

Narroo

Interesting...I played this several years ago with friends when it was a really crummy game. This looks decent now.

VandalD

Back when the game launched in PS4 it was comm on advice to skip excalibur since it sucked then :p

Mag at least made corpus missions a walk in the park!
Yeah, Excalibur hasn't at all always been the powerhouse he is these days. I miss Mag blowing up Corpus. It was overpowered as hell, but at least I had more of a reason to consider playing her. She was my starter, but that just made the jump to Rhino all the better.

Better than starting with Loki at least. If anyone here has a really old account with Loki as your only frame, get help from GAF or a friend in getting Rhino. Loki is amazing, but only with proper mods.

What was up with the Black and Gold guy in the clip at the end?

Is he part of the story lol?

Wish this game was alil easier to get into. Like others have said, the progression system is super confusing and I just gave up trying to figure out where Im supposed to go.

That is a new variant of posterboy Excalibur, Excalibur Umbra.

Umbra Warframes are relics of the Orokin era. Umbra is a new line being introduced in the Sacrifice update, while we've had Primes, the original Warframe models, since Founders program.

Excalibur Umbra was designed to bypass Excalibur Prime for the Changyou (chinese publisher) Founders/version of the game, since Prime is a founder exclusive.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I know the Xbox One community isnt that deep.
But maybe someone can answer here anyway.

How big is the game now on Xb1 and how often does it get updates.

I stopped playing Halo G cuz it was getting massive updates every month and ws pummeling my peasant level internet connection.

Been thinking of getting into WarFrame as im not planning on suporting destiny till year 2

I know the Xbox One community isnt that deep.
But maybe someone can answer here anyway.

How big is the game now on Xb1 and how often does it get updates.

I stopped playing Halo G cuz it was getting massive updates every month and ws pummeling my peasant level internet connection.

Been thinking of getting into WarFrame as im not planning on suporting destiny till year 2

Xbox One gets updates as often as PS4. They usually are behind by a month of the PC version due the certification process. The Updates are packed all into one though (so if we have 21.0 now, you'll jump to 21.4 all of a sudden).

As for the rest no idea.

Gothos

Played for about 2 hours tonight and enjoyed it.

Finished the main quest scenario you start out with. I love the shooting and the movement to death but I could see how the mission/area/level design structure could get old real quick.4

Yea, the enemy design is one the worst I've ever seen. A real turn off for me :(

jediyoshi

Funny, I always wished I stayed with this game. Played at PC launch and then around the update that introduced ships.

Guess it's finally time to get into Warframe. No clue why I haven't tried it yet.

Though I technically did on PS4 some years back, but I vaguely remember it and it's most likely better than it was then.

Top Bottom