• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe goes open world, gets social hub, day/night cycle, flying, more

thumb

Banned
Nah, frame rate on PS4 (at least the normal one) is bad. On many maps depending on the field of view and the action on screen, it goes under 30FPS. Don't know about Pro. If you want locked 60FPS, go PC for this game, not PS4.

At least Destiny 1 had locked 30FPS in all situations the year I played it (PS4).

I played literally hundreds of hours of Warframe on PS4. When you say many maps go under 30FPS (with sufficient action), I have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, variable frame rate, but people are exaggerating just how variable.

But for sure, PC is better for Warframe.

Edit - It's been months since I've played PS4. I searched the forums and people do have some optimization complaints that DE is working on. But during the period I played, things were damn groovy.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Dark Sector, the "original Warframe" was a PS3 announcement game. It changed into something sorta similar when it did finally release but they've been waiting to make this kind of game for a while.
Wasn't it the first game announced for XB360 during the Xenon code name stage?

Kas

Last time I played was when they introduced the flying parts on PS4.

I had no idea what I was doing or really bow to do what I was supposed to do.

But maybe it's been streamlined a bit. I hope

Hyun Sai

I played literally hundreds of hours of Warframe on PS4. When you say many maps go under 30FPS (with sufficient action), I have no idea what you're talking about. Yes, variable frame rate, but people are exaggerating just how variable.

But for sure, PC is better for Warframe.

Edit - It's been months since I've played PS4. I searched the forums and people do have some optimization complaints that DE is working on. But during the period I played, things were damn groovy.

There is no hyperbole on my part. I used to play Warframe on PC 3 years ago, tested it on PS4 since last week. It's not very good framerate wise, and I'm not even at the point of doing the most extreme shit I was doing on PC endgame. It's a problem widely known, and as I sayed, perhaps it's better on the PRO.

But anyway, just wanted to say that the game in its current state is not a good argument on "why Destiny 2 is not 60FPS on console when Warframe does it."

This seems like something you would do with a sequel, amazing that they are supporting warframe so much that it's evolved into something huge

Haven't played in years but looks like I'll be jumping back in! How my main man Rhino doing? I love his skill set!

Tough as ever. His iron skin absorbs damage for a short period of time and adds it to the total health of his skin, so he's even beastlier. Also some really good ability augment mods.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah, Excalibur hasn't at all always been the powerhouse he is these days. I miss Mag blowing up Corpus. It was overpowered as hell, but at least I had more of a reason to consider playing her. She was my starter, but that just made the jump to Rhino all the better.

Better than starting with Loki at least. If anyone here has a really old account with Loki as your only frame, get help from GAF or a friend in getting Rhino. Loki is amazing, but only with proper mods.

I remember farming the hardest corpus defense and survivals back then to do the formas... we'd take turns, 3 level 1 frames, 1 mag... easy xp!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Wasn't it the first game announced for XB360 during the Xenon code name stage?

Yeah I believe Dark Sector was one of the first "next gen" games announced for the PS3/360 era. It also looked far more like what Warframe is now than what was released which was some kind of ok stealth action game with mutants. It's amazing how long and dedicated they have been to bringing this vision to life and one of the reason I bought a founders pack all those years ago when Warframe was just starting up.

One of the best games gets even better. Performance on PS4 in the hub areas with lots of other players is brutal, though. I wonder how this will run.

100?

61Z1Zw6.png

Much respect tenno.

Calabi

Played for about 2 hours tonight and enjoyed it.

Finished the main quest scenario you start out with. I love the shooting and the movement to death but I could see how the mission/area/level design structure could get old real quick.4

I gotta ask though, what the fuck is with the enemy design? I've seen square block head men and TLOU rejects and they're so uglyyyyyyyy D:

But that's what I like about the designs. Their so unique.

This update is really amazing for a 4 year old game, its going from strength to strength. I've been in and out of it since closed beta when I hated it, to now I'm liking it a lot.

I've played it only on PS4, what are the differences between the PS4 and PC version?

Physx is one big difference which I personally could not give up the PC version for. On Nvidia cards you can have what seems thousand of dynamic particles flying around at any one time. Just watch any vid from a large Warframe Youtuber. Of course better frame rates, better graphics in general. Updates first.

VariantX

I've played it only on PS4, what are the differences between the PS4 and PC version?

I don't think Warframe goes below 30 on PS4.
It might look like heavy dips because it can go from 60 to low 30s but that does not mean it goes into 20s.

It can, but only in certain conditions that are pretty rare. Go an infestation tileset and get at least 3 Nidus on your team and build enough stacks for them to cast their 4. The sheer number of particles from the exploding maggots, the attacks and dissolving bodies of dead infested, the particle effects from the environment iself, plus what ever weapons the tenno are equipped with can bring it down into the twenties.

hobozero

Piqued my interest enough to jump back in, and my dang account is suspended :( Submitted a support ticket, but man that is a pain in the ass. Looks like I had a weak password on there, and last time I played they didn't have 2-factor available, so who knows what shit someone has been up to with my account. Activities like trades and purchases always send you an email confirmation, right?

BigEmil

This game was really good already and they made it better?

Warframe also runs at 60fps on consoles.

Destiny 2 is now more irrelevant than ever

Zeta Oni

Is Mesa finally "viable"?

Pretty much the only frame I love from a design and gameplay perspective, yet she never felt as powerful as she should be.

I always swore the day they make a Prime variant of her is the day id hop back in, but this is something else entirely. Cant wait to explore at breakneck space ninja speeds.

Have they added a way to test guns/weapons/frames yet before you buy them? That's like the best feature ever in Planetside 2.

Nope, that's a super cool idea that I really wish we had.

PC is going to be better/higher performance options and gets all their ideas and updates first. Consoles tend to get the major patches a month later or so (console certification process and all), and they tend to be less buggy because the PC players have been uncovering any problems. They also bundle together all the intermittent patches the PC gets.

Activities like trades and purchases always send you an email confirmation, right?

No. If any premium currency was purchased on your account, you'd have seen an email confirmation about that, but not on individual trades or in game purchases.

Is Mesa finally viable?

Pretty much the only frame I love from a design and gameplay perspective, yet she never felt as powerful as she should be.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Mesa was always an A/A+ tier Warframe, unless you're confusing the names with something else? Gunslinger frame.

Alexm92

What's the UI like nowadays? When I played a few years ago the UI was awful and the game was repetitive. Is it still repetitive?

thumb

Banned
Is Mesa finally "viable"?

I always swore the day they make a Prime variant of her is the day id hop back in, but this is something else entirely. Cant wait to explore at breakneck space ninja speeds.

Mesa is practically unstoppable. For an example (with builds) see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpOzxRjXAQ

J2d

Will give this a shoot again when the update comes, only played it for a couple of hours on the PS4 but now I have good pc so I'll go with that, looks good.

IvorB

Wow! Super impressive. Warframe devs continuing to put in good work. Will definitely hop on to check that out. Love the crowd losing their sh*t :).

Zeta Oni

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Mesa was always an A/A+ tier Warframe, unless you're confusing the names with something else? Gunslinger frame.

Maybe its just me but I've always felt her abilities weren't as multifunctional as they could be compared to more AoE focused frames. She feels highly specialized, if that makes sense, in that her specials require more of a plan and positioning rather than the press and go crazy effects some others have. Then there's some small details, like Shooting Gallery switching to different people instead of staying on Mesa while also alternating teammates, Peacemaker leaving you grounded and vulnerable, etc.

So its not so much that I think she's weak, but rather she's one of the frames with the highest learning curve that I myself haven't managed to master yet.

Mesa is practically unstoppable. For an example (with builds) see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TpOzxRjXAQ

Yeah, I see that I'm just out of the loop entirely.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I pretty much stopped playing since they changed the way you farm prime parts. The rifts make a lot of warframes obsolete, most of the time its just one gigantic cheese fest and it becomes crazy boring.

One example is speed farming with volt on extermination maps, they can boost you to speeds that make it extremely difficult to even control your character, also at the time I played they were causing some glitches IIRC.

Killing will be done with any of the cheese weapons, before it was the synoid simulor, now its the tonkor again.

there are so many weapons but its incredible how bad some of them are compared to others, what do we have such a range of weapons for when youre kinda "forced" to play with those cheese factory items if you want to at least see an enemy.

I spend hundreds of hours trying to make "useless" (because they arent crazy OP) stuff into actually useful things by maxing prime mods and trying tons of different builds but that update made them obsolete and only really viable if you dont want to be productive.

Its all about the cheese which is a shame because with that kind of movement it could be really fun but ultimately you end up just sitting there and pressing 2 buttons once per round/wave.

Anyways, that looks pretty sweet so Ill definitely give it a shot.

VariantX

How hard is it to farm new prime frames? Really want that Hydroid.

Not very hard actually, not nearly as hard as it used to be, which is why they don't sell for as much as they used to in trade chat. With the relic system, you can form parties and have everyone refine the same type of relic to give you a roughly 30 percent chance of getting the parts you want.

Every time I try to get back into this game the barrier of entry seems astronomically high. Maybe that's improved? The gunplay seems alright but the character designs are awful.

Maybe its just me but I've always felt her abilities weren't as multifunctional as they could be compared to more AoE focused frames. She feels highly specialized, if that makes sense, in that her specials require more of a plan and positioning rather than the press and go crazy effects some others have. Then there's some small details, like Shooting Gallery switching to different people instead of staying on Mesa while also alternating teammates, Peacemaker leaving you grounded and vulnerable meaning, etc.

So its not so much that I think she's weak, but rather she's one of the frames with the highest learning curve that I myself haven't managed to master yet.

Ah I see. Well Shooting Gallery was changed semirecently so that one always sticks with Mesa, and another bounces between her teammates. Also I don't know how long ago you played her, but Peacemaker was changed so that instead of shooting around her without you paying attention, there's a "cone of focus" that tightens and increases damage on what you aim at. So she's a bit more involved and maybe will fit what you're looking for. Shatter Shield also gives you 95% damage reduction against projectiles, so you're good there.

If you want to talk high learning curves, it's Limbo who you've gotta look at. Knowing how and when to use his abilities effectively is the difference between a core part of the team and an extreme annoyance.

How hard is it to farm new prime frames? Really want that Hydroid.

Depends on who you ask. You first have to farm the "relics" (one time use items) that have the component parts of the Prime Warframe (Blueprint, helmet, chassis, systems). The parts can be common/uncommon/rare drops from the relic. You can increase your chances at getting uncommon or rare parts with a particular resource you get while farming for Primes specifically, called Void Traces. With a full team all having refined relics, there's roughly a 34% chance of getting a rare drop. The Wiki details the numbers out nicely.

I had all the rare, harder-to-farm parts of the last Prime batch very quickly once it released, and the common/uncommon parts are very easy to get.

I say depends on who you ask because the process is more grind-involved than the old system used to be (get a key, run the mission, hope you get the part). While it required only one grind step (getting the key) and could be done much faster, the drop chances couldn't be tilted towards the rares.

Every time I try to get back into this game the barrier of entry seems astronomically high. Maybe that's improved? The gunplay seems alright but the character designs are awful.

DE's been hammering away at the new player experience over the year, giving you a bunch of vital mods at the start (although weakened from the ones you'll get while playing) and giving a starting sentinel companion to help keep your health and shields up.

K.Sabot

Reinstalled because of this.

Apparently I'm a celeb now because I own Excal Prime, this is the first time in the multiple times I've come back to the game that I've gotten people asking to sell my steam account. Why is that people care now?

I'm guessing this is why umbra is important.

thumb

Banned
Reinstalled because of this.

Apparently I'm a celeb now because I own Excal Prime, this is the first time in the multiple times I've come back to the game that I've gotten people asking to sell my steam account. Why is that people care now?

I'm guessing this is why umbra is important.

Excal Prime was only given to founders, with the promise that it would never see release again.

Ade

A game I loved, but oddly the only game I quit for having too much content.

Almost every month there was a huge update that changes/added/replaced too much and the ingame notes and explanations never helped.

Is there a good guide/video to for jumping back in? It's been at least a year since I last played and I definitely don't remember what everything does.

SomTervo

Amazing support. I literally haven't played it since PS4 launch when I didn't really enjoy it, but it's clearly a different beast now.

Head.spawn

Yeah I believe Dark Sector was one of the first "next gen" games announced for the PS3/360 era. It also looked far more like what Warframe is now than what was released which was some kind of ok stealth action game with mutants. It's amazing how long and dedicated they have been to bringing this vision to life and one of the reason I bought a founders pack all those years ago when Warframe was just starting up.

I was just digging around, here's the 2004 Teaser Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd96sd2wwQY

Then the 2005 pre-E3 Reveal Trailer for 360/PS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jw2-xKqjA

Absolutely crazy how far this has come along, you can see all the same early design elements the current game has in these clips.

Then it was delayed and came back a bit weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOKmccwJ54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQzwVeIJkxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnsjVO3Y6Rw

I'm assuming focus grouped.

arimanius

Wow the devs are amazing with this game. I tried the PS4 version a little bit and it was ok. I'm definitely going to try this out again once it drops.

"Yeah I believe Dark Sector was one of the first "next gen" games announced for the PS3/360 era. It also looked far more like what Warframe is now than what was released which was some kind of ok stealth action game with mutants. It's amazing how long and dedicated they have been to bringing this vision to life and one of the reason I bought a founders pack all those years ago when Warframe was just starting up."

Fun fact: The main character of Dark Sector is Hayden Tenno.

The player characters in Warframe are called "Tenno." They're not really related, but it's a nice callback.

Top Bottom