• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Are Subsidizing Rich Suburbanites to Clog Cities With Their Cars

bionic77

The idea of using public transport seems so odd to me. I'd much rather drive than get on a bus.
This is incorrect.

If you are on a bus or train you can sleep, read, GAF, play Zelda etc.

You would did if you tried any of those things while driving.

Driving to work is the worst.

This is incorrect.

Riding the bus sucks. It really does.

But I'd rather have a bus than nothing at all. I STILL have to drive to work, but I can take a bus to the college and not have to pay for parking(and still have nowhere to park when I get there).

Improve public transit a little
a lot
then maybe.
Until then, no way in hell.

My actual commute (after having moved to be closer to my office):
SAyTeFs.png

vs
kNcmFcp.png

Fuck MARTA (Atlanta)

Here's what Google tells me:

Sorry, we could not calculate transit directions from "Home [removed]" to [removed]

lol. The nearest bus stop is a 10 minute drive away.

This is incorrect.

But using the bus will invariably take longer no matter how much things improve. Right now it would triple my trip time, before adding in actually getting to a bus stop, lol.

YourMaster

But using the bus will invariably take longer no matter how much things improve. Right now it would triple my trip time, before adding in actually getting to a bus stop, lol.

A bus is never quicker than a car, true,... the advantages of the bus are that you don't need to own the car, don't need somewhere to park and you don't need to drive yourself so you can spend your time on something else.
In contrast to the car, which has the advantage of going from your own front door to wherever you want to go at the exact time you want to go there.

And here lies the crux, for public transport to work it has to be good but when it works it benefits many people. When many people use public transport it reduces traffic a lot, which makes it faster for everybody. When many people use public transport they can drive more frequently from more destinations making it better for everybody.
The more people drive themselves, the worse it gets for everybody due to congestion. The more people use public transport the better it gets due to increased efficiency. If you take the bus in a car-society, you're taking 3 hours on a smelly bus for a 45 minute trip.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I wouldn't worry about it. As self driving cars become mandatory there will be so little congestion entire roads will be repurposed.

Sotha_Sil

I'd love to, but public transit in Louisiana is a joke.

My girlfriend in Dallas can take public transit, but it's more expensive to use than driving. However, an hour riding trains and buses beats worry about hitting other cars in congested highways for an hour (travel time is essentially the same).

Top Bottom