• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished Stellar Blade (7/10)

Starting some Ys Memories of Celceta.

I can't believe I somehow missed these multiple PS4 ports / remasters of all these Ys games back when they were first coming out.

They're dated, but mechanically very simple / fun romps.

How do you feel about the music ..does it become annoying, the same track looping for hours like a jrpg?
So I'd say that every major area has an overarching music theme, with occasional shifts to different themes in specific places such as bars or camps, but there's also combat and exploration music. Overall it's similar to JRPGs, which I really enjoy.

In my opinion the music in Stellar Blade is really good and somewhat different from what you'd expect in an action oriented game and I wouldn't be too shocked if it will get a nomination at the TGA for the music category. There's also a particular song tied to a multi part side quest which I'd say is the best one I've encountered in the game yet (I'm more than halfway through).

Last edited:

Roberts

Currently surviving my way through Grounded, ever since i finished both subnautica games i have been wanting another crafting survival type game i already play no mans sky and astroneer but those dont have the same feel as subnautica. Grounded seems to have filled that void perfectly, the story is really intriguing the setting is amazing and the voice acting & soundtrack are top notch. Managed to build a temp base of all the bits of gear i need to craft and have slowly started upgrading my weapons and armour,played about 7 hours so far and i have managed to find the next set of Dr Wendells labs, getting into them is a different matter.

Love the whole vibe and artstyle, looks so vibrant on oled switch, while not as impressive as running on pc it still holds up pretty well.
yDeyI6I.jpg

QEOVNGW.jpg

LzY10pD.jpg

My current base until i choose where to build a proper full kitted out base
UNLDKg3.jpg

The sense of scale is great, running fact to face with huge spiders not so much lol.
TlAutE5.jpg

The lighting and shadows are really nice.
r4wAC5l.jpg

S1vFtK5.jpg

Visiting BURG.L in the oak lab is always a nice excursion, managed to revive the duplacator and find some of his missing chips to progress the story. Love his design.
L1duYAY.jpg

skDRpbf.jpg

Also found one of these things, had to fend off waves of bitey gits till it finished mixing, worth doing though as it gave me a load of science points.
Z2Y3jU2.jpg

So far it's an amazing game, so pleased it fially came to switch. Been wanting to play it for years since i saw it originally appear on youtube from people playing the steam early access version.
Glad to hear that Switch version kicks ass too. Seriously, I think it is one of the best, most immersive games ever made. Me and my friend (I play on xbox, him on PC) have been playing it since Early Access and while we don't play it often anymore, we still log on once in a while and find new things to do. That is almost four years of playing one game. Crazy!

One of the last things we did in was to relocate our base to a new spot. Around the oak tree trunk, high enough for Spiders not being able to reach us - a perfect place to make zip lines that could reach any part of the map. I can't really think of a better place to make it as none of the critters can't attack it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just beat Stellar Blade I LOOOOVED this game.....One the thing I love about this game is how proud the game is to be super gamey. like some of the mini puzzles and platforming challenges you find in its open world or how she does cool poses when she find cans.....I love it.

People saying feels like PS2 games (in good way) and I agree with them, it really feels like PS2 game that knows how to be fun and gamey.

I hope this game does well enough so we get sequel or even shift Up does another SP game like this.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hardest boss in the game IMO.
TBH, I thought Mohg was harder... so far that is. I still got a couple more to go though. Now working my way towards Malenia... :(

Oh, and in case anyone wants to see.:

Really proud of meself because, unlike the other videos I've seen, I didn't just beat him because I was fast or my weapon was dealing a lot of damage but because I knew his moveset.

Last edited:

reektann

TBH, I thought Mohg was harder... so far that is. I still got a couple more to go though. Now working my way towards Malenia... :(

Oh, and in case anyone wants to see.:

Really proud of meself because, unlike the other videos I've seen, I didn't just beat him because I was fast or my weapon was dealing a lot of damage but because I knew his moveset.

well played - you must have almost had a heart attack at the miss when their health was so low at 3:32 - even I did.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
well played - you must have almost had a heart attack at the miss when their health was so low at 3:32 - even I did.
Haha, indeed. I even scream FUCK here and then was like…. Please no combo, please no combo, please no combo….
I had his this low a couple of time before and then he always did some attacks that gave me no room for a counter.

Roberts

Finished Harold Halibut which I enjoyed a lot and couldn't think of anything I want to play so I just installed Fallout 76 again after not playing it for two years or so. Took me one hour to get back in the groove and, damn, this is a game I really needed right now.

I just finished the first Atelier Ryza, including the Solitary Island DLC (my face when seeing a random slime there has half as much health as the final boss of the main game :messenger_fearful:). Now I just need to do the extra episodes but I think they're very short.

All in all a pretty nice game, very comfy. Abusing alchemy can, and will, break the game in two easily lol, which apparently is pretty standard for this series since your power comes a lot more from your equipment than your level.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I just finished the first Atelier Ryza, including the Solitary Island DLC (my face when seeing a random slime there has half as much health as the final boss of the main game :messenger_fearful:). Now I just need to do the extra episodes but I think they're very short.

All in all a pretty nice game, very comfy. Abusing alchemy can, and will, break the game in two easily lol, which apparently is pretty standard for this series since your power comes a lot more from your equipment than your level.
I thinking of starting this. Can you say more about this? I like breaking RPGs and being powerful. If it’s in the game then it’s a fare game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Aside from Elden Ring I just completed Alone in the Dark with Carnby.

Overall I did like the game but I kinda falls apart later on. I didn’t like the frequent location swapping at all. Reminded me of Evil Within. Had the best time with the game when I was exploring the mansion. Also, this bug enemies can go straight to hell. What a load of shit…

Now playing the game with Emily. So far I’d give it a 7/10 or so. Kinda what I expected to begin with.

I thinking of starting this. Can you say more about this? I like breaking RPGs and being powerful. If it’s in the game then it’s a fare game.
Sure thing. Putting it in spoilers because it will probably end up as a wall of text...
First thing first: in this game, alchemy works like a skill tree. Each recipe is its own tree, with each node requiring you to put some material on it to unlock the next nodes; some need a specific material ("trihorn beetle"), other accept any item in a given category ("insect").
You can only put so many items total in a recipe, increasing with your alchemy level.
Some recipes, mostly equipment, have a node that "evolves" the recipe into a more powerful one; for example, the recipe for "T1 weapon" has a node that will turn it into "T2 weapon", itself having one to evolve into "T3 weapon" etc.
Once you've reached one of those evolved recipes, you unlock it as a stand-alone, so if you want to craft that T2 weapon you can either start form the T1 recipe and evolve it, or start directly from the T2 recipe.
Now to the interesting part: when you evolve a recipe like that, the next one "remembers" how many material you could use in the first, and adds it to your default allowed mateiral count. So if you can use, say, 9 material in a recipe, but only used 4 to reach the evolution node, and keep crafting from there, you'll be able to put 15 materials into the next one.

At the end of the game, at max alchemy level, I could put 12 items in a recipe. When crafting the final weapon for each character, by starting from the T1 recipe and evolving it all the way to the last one, I could use 31 or 32 materials in the final recipe (instead of the usual 12 if I had started directly from that final recipe), leading to absolutely insane weapons, same with armour.
At some point in the game, you'll unlock a way to break down unneeded items into gems.
Those gems can be used for multiple things, including, a bit later, duping items. You can't dupe basic materials though, only crafted items, but that includes ones bought in store (no real point, those are really basic) or found in chests. Most importantly, you can dupe stuff you'll need a lot of to max your weapons and armour, like various ingots and fabric/leather.
Obviously reducing an item into gems yields less that what it costs to dupe it, that would be too easy otherwise, right? ... right?
Well, enter some end-game materials, that can be given (if activating the right node when crafting them) an ability that makes you create 1, or even 2 more items when using them as a mateial in another recipe... and it stacks with itself if you use multiple.

So at some point you're able to dupe this material, use a bunch of them to craft a high-level item, resulting in 20 or more of this item, reduce them into gems, getting more that it cost to dupe the material. Tadah, infinite gems, meaning infinite duping of whatever material you need!
Each item you find, buy, or craft has a quality, maxing at 999.
Higher quality equipment means better stats, higher quality potions mean more healing, etc.
Items can also have "traits", which improve it in various ways. Traits can be transferred from a material used in a recipe, to the final product.
The quality of an item you craft is the average of the quality values of everything used to craft it, plus any bonus you may get from the nodes.

Since the "improved quality" traits transfer to the final product (which already benefited from it since the materials themselves had this improved quality), you can with some effort "loop" this trait to improve quality of each successive craft.

For example what I used was something called "alchemy fiber", a thread that needs any "plant" to craft, starting with a "quality +" plant.
With this fiber I created "natural cloth", a fabric that needs a "thread" item to craft (the alchemy fiber) and itself counts as a plant, transferring the "quality +" trait to it, then used it as a plant to create more alchemy fiber (with a higher quality than the previous ones thanks to the trait), repeating until I got both of those at 999 quality... which I could then dupe with my infinite gems. And this can be done pretty early, although it's much easier once you unlock the duping.

I then used those to craft more 999 quality items, including seeds. You can plant those in your hideout, and gather the crop after a few days, resulting in multiple items with a quality dependoing on the seed's. There are multiple seed types, that can give you different types of items, so planting 999 quality seeds of different types (that you can, again, dupe as you want... lol) will give you very high-quality versions of almost every plant, flower, rock, ore etc you might need.
Once you get started, you'll end up with 999 quality weapons, armour and accessories (you can just craft one piece of armour and one accessory of each type and dupe them for the rest of the team btw :messenger_smirking:) very quickly. The final boss hit me for 1 damage (and that was before I managed to get 999 quality armour), and even the final-final boss of the DLC was only slightly harder.
I could make my weapons even stronger by reforging (I've barely touched this system, although I did give life-stealing to everyone), but there would be no point lol

Combat-wise, there is a "tactics level" system; you start each battle at level 1, and can increase it by using normal attacks, up to level 5 (where you can use your ultimate attacks), characters usually have passive that improve their attack and/or defense depending on your tactics level, most special moves also get extra abilities depending on it, so increasing it quickly is very useful, but needs you to use normal attacks instead of special moves. Well there's an item you can get late game that can instantly increase your tactics level by 2 (as well as a slew of other bonuses), so if you use it twice at the start of a battle you're at level 5 right off the bat... and I'm pretty sure one of the characters' ultimate attack could, under the right circumstances, one-shot the bonus superboss...

I'm also very used to breaking some of the Neptunia games if you're interested :messenger_winking:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
About to beat DQ VIII, going to fight the final boss
again and this time I hope to get the true ending.

I'll probably start Majora's Mask on the N64 later today. I heard the 3DS version has some nice QOL additions but I want to check out the original first.

Yerd

I'm playing Manor Lords obsessively. There is enough here that I can tell when it's a full game it will really shine. I am really digging these colony sim genre games. Not a genre that suited me until lately. I have always hated strategy games, and I would fit colony sims in there.

First colony sim I tied was Oxygen Not Included and I loved it, but it was too smart for me. I don't remember all that science. I tried Stranded: Alien Dawn after that and that's another one I really liked. Didn't need to be a scientist to get to the endgame. Same with Manor Lords, you can be a medieval peasant and get through it.

amigastar

About to beat DQ VIII, going to fight the final boss
again and this time I hope to get the true ending.

I'll probably start Majora's Mask on the N64 later today. I heard the 3DS version has some nice QOL additions but I want to check out the original first.
You still have an original N64 or do you emulate?

I just finished Minishoot' Adventures and it was really good, brought me some of those old school feelings of just having fun with the mechanics, exploring and leveling up. Highly recommended, played on Steam Deck and is a very easy to hop in hop out game

amigastar

I have an original.

A friend had a spare one and I bought it from him like 3 years ago or so. Cool thing is that it barely had any use, so the gamepad's joystick was in perfect condition.
Cool, you know what? I actually like the N64 controller, it's probably nostalgia but i like it. And it was the first controller with an analogue stick and a rumble pack so it was revolutionary at it's time.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Cool, you know what? I actually like the N64 controller, it's probably nostalgia but i like it. And it was the first controller with an analogue stick and a rumble pack so it was revolutionary at it's time.
I like it too. It can look weird having only one stick, but since it's games are designed around that you really don't miss the second one. Plus you get 6 face buttons instead of two, which for a game like Zelda it's very convenient.

foamdino

Just rolled credits on Gran Blue Fantasy Relink. Now to choose a real main character to dump mastery points etc inti for online quests.

Really enjoyed it, the set peices just kept getting better and the art stayed consistently excellent throughout the game.

Looking at picking up Unicorn Overlord, Atelier Ryza 3 or ffxvi next (probably Unicorn Overlord)

RobRSG

Finished Stellar Blade (7/10)

Starting some Ys Memories of Celceta.

I can't believe I somehow missed these multiple PS4 ports / remasters of all these Ys games back when they were first coming out.

They're dated, but mechanically very simple / fun romps.
I can strongly recommend Ys Origin as well.

Currently, I am playing FFVII Rebirth. Really great game after 90 hours in, I still haven’t lost interest a single bit.

On the XSX, I am playing Unicorn Overlord.
Love how they mashed Ogre Battle with Fire Emblem to make an even better game than both combined.

Last edited:

Duchess

Still on The Pathless.

The boss fights are pretty terrible, and definitely the weakest part of the game. The puzzles are fun to do, even if they're all the same idea.

adamsapple

I can strongly recommend Ys Origin as well.

Currently, I am playing FFVII Rebirth. Really great game after 90 hours in, I still haven’t lost interest a single bit.

On the XSX, I am playing Unicorn Overlord.
Love how they mashed Ogre Battle with Fire Emblem to make an even better game than both combined.

Ys Origins isn't available on gamefly unfortunately so I'll have to hunt for a relatively decently priced copy in the near future.

Fbh

Re4R:
I actually only played the original Re4 once on Ps2, so it has been really fun going back to it. So far I'm having a lot of fun, looks and plays great

Unicorn Overlord:
Still playing this. I have to say, if you use this as your "main" game it sort of starts to get repetitive past the mid point, there's A LOT of depth in the way you setup your characters and squads, but other than that the missions themselves are very similar to each other, each region follows the same structure and the story is very generic and uninteresting.
I've found it works better as a sort of side game to chip away as you focus on other games, now that I've gone from playing it daily to once or twice a week I'm finding it way more enjoyable.

SSfox

T8, TR remaster 2 expansion, Honkai SR, Genshin Impact.

I want to do new game in Pro mode in RE4 when I have time

reektann

Finished Botany Manor. 9.5 from me. Nearly a perfect puzzle game. One of my favorites of the year. Took me 6 hr 40 min. Had to look up 2 clues.

Thanks for the recommendation on this. I grabbed it on Game Pass and I am having a great time. On chapter 5 now without needing to look anything up sp far - its incredibly smart with its puzzles/riddles and you feel like a right clever sod figuring them out. This will likely be on my top 10 this year at this point.

I lived in the South West of the UK for some time too, so it's quite charming seeing a few things mentioned that I have visited/know about.

TintoConCasera

Finished DQ VIII, this time for real. I didn't really like the true ending as much as I did the standard one, felt like that one was funnier and more developed. Still, for postgame content, it was fun to play through.

The game itself tho, amazing. I think I still prefer V and XI over this one, but it doesn't surprise me that so many people have this one as their favorite since the game is fun as hell.

Now I'm playing Majora's Mask. Cool game so far, feels like it has a ton of side content right from the start.

simpatico

Days Gone. First replay since PC launch. Truly the greatest open world game not made by Rockstar or Bethesda. There is no hope for a sequel. I firmly believe if Sony even makes a sequel, they will "fix" everything that was great about the story and characters.

Something about that big chopper, the zombies and the open world. On their own they're all nothing special, but when combined it's an amazing stew. No open world game makes the mundane tasks this enthralling.

A true 9/10 and the best Sony exclusive that isn't made by From.

ss_8d958e566d5315463d099b21eae729d0f462caad.1920x1080.jpg

amigastar

Finished DQ VIII, this time for real. I didn't really like the true ending as much as I did the standard one, felt like that one was funnier and more developed. Still, for postgame content, it was fun to play through.

The game itself tho, amazing. I think I still prefer V and XI over this one, but it doesn't surprise me that so many people have this one as their favorite since the game is fun as hell.

Now I'm playing Majora's Mask. Cool game so far, feels like it has a ton of side content right from the start.
How's the framerate on MM? I`ve heard it`s pretty bad. Is it disrupting?

TintoConCasera

How's the framerate on MM? I`ve heard it`s pretty bad. Is it disrupting?
Lol yeah, it's bad, but not disrupting really.

That said I've only been in the town and the first area you get to explore, don't know if it might get worse later on.

pxlwrld

Neo Member
Persona 5 Royal on my M1 MacBook Pro via RyuJinx. Works like a charm at 60FPS/4K. Can't get my head around how that is even remotely possible - but it is.

Superkid93

Neo Member
Days Gone. First replay since PC launch. Truly the greatest open world game not made by Rockstar or Bethesda. There is no hope for a sequel. I firmly believe if Sony even makes a sequel, they will "fix" everything that was great about the story and characters.

Something about that big chopper, the zombies and the open world. On their own they're all nothing special, but when combined it's an amazing stew. No open world game makes the mundane tasks this enthralling.

A true 9/10 and the best Sony exclusive that isn't made by From.

ss_8d958e566d5315463d099b21eae729d0f462caad.1920x1080.jpg
Care to elaborate on your thoughts on this one? I thought parts of the game were utter trash. Not dissing your opinion at all, just love understanding thoughts from a different perspective?

Some thoughts I had after the my first playthrough last month,

1. I cannot get over how poorly written the dialogue was and its a real shame because the voice actors all had great performances despite the terrible writing.
  2. The story dragged on for far too long. Felt like 40% of the game was just filler missions to get everyone's hours played to an a predetermined amount. I had multiple story missions where the entire mission consisted of just driving to a character and speaking to them. That's it.
  3. Weapon variety was kind of lame. I found three weapons and just stuck with them for the majority of the game because they were clearly OP.
  4. What on earth is with the shooting mechanics in this game? The reticle makes shooting from mid range and onward annoying as hell unless you have a sniper. I get it....cant use a shotty at long range but the distance feels off on all the guns.
  5. Other than the fuel tank, most of the later game bike upgrades didn't create a noticeable difference in my bike's performance. Kind of a lame outcome after anticipating the whole game that I would have this crazy performing bike by the end of it.

xrnzaaas

I finally started playing Pentiment and I really like it so far, especially the choices & consequences who to to blame in act 1 and how there's not enough time to cover a full investigation.

One thing I don't like are the fancy fonts, most of them make reading text pretty unbearable. I wish the game had voiceovers so I wouldn't have to resort to switching to a normal font for all characters & dialogues.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Is Sand Land accessible and easy to get into for folks who aren't familiar with the source material. From what I understand, it's based on a manga series?

Top Bottom