• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
How do the length of bans work? Usually I here the same things 1 week, 2 weeks, a month etc. Do mods have to choose one or do they just make up a number.

And what's the longest you can get banned for outside of the obvious perma ban?

They don't give out ten year bans, that's for sure.

N B was basically spamming threads with pictures of her, for no reason, and for shock value. Much like the lettuce pic spamming, and Shawn Michaels pics (his spefic threads were hilarious!, a shame most of the pics are broken now).

CrankyJay

Banned
How do the length of bans work? Usually I here the same things 1 week, 2 weeks, a month etc. Do mods have to choose one or do they just make up a number.

And what's the longest you can get banned for outside of the obvious perma ban?

I got a 3 month ban once for an "ad hominem" remark...I don't even know what that means. LOL.

Fell for one of KHarvey's troll bait posts.

UFRA

Is a 3 month ban considered a long ban or pretty typical?

I'd say that's pretty long.

I've only been banned once and it was for 1 month. Even that seemed long for what it was. I was not taking a Red Dead Redemption comparison (360 vs PS3) thread seriously.

JGS

Banned
As others have said, the best way to not get banned is to not post at all. One mod might have no problem with your post while another wants to, and does, ban you for it.
I feel kind of the opposite. I say be yourself. If you constantly get in trouble based off of that then you likely don't fit the parameters of Gaf anyway. The admin seems to be fairly tolerant even if some users aren't.

To do otherwise is dishonest and makes posting kind of pointless. I can understand lurking though.

LiK

This is not really accurate. While moderators might split one way or the other on a post (one might go for a warning, one might delete posts contributing to a derail, one might go for a short ban--all three would agree the post in question is just awful), in general, most of the moderation we do, we work together on. It's not like ten years ago where the place was a bit of a wild west. We're pretty tightly knit. And in many cases, especially for longer bans or identifying long-term problem posters, we work together. It's a really good team.

I'm a softie and I'm sure the other moderators will tell you that, but by and large none of them are going to undermine me and I'm not going to undermine them specifically because it's a collaborative process and we've got channels to help each other give input on stuff.

I have no idea either, apparently some meme about a female bodybuilder or something? I understand it was a thing like, years and years before I registered. I don't really think it's on our radar at this point.

I like you. you warn people.

Not directed at me, but answering anyway. I remember banning a user once who made a (to me) incredibly hilarious, but also incredibly offensive joke. It derailed the entire thread like nobody's business. Had to ban because it was really over the line, but man, I laughed so hard. :X

That was that Hitler visiting Auschwitz post wasn't it?

Kabouter

Don't use the word 'See You Next Tuesday'. Know a few people who got banned for using this.

I also got banned for 2 weeks, and to this day I have no idea why. Bumping an old thread apparently, but which one I have not a clue.

Basically, to get perma-banned you must do something really stupid. Or quote a banned meme/quote/image source/web site, which is pretty simple to do.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28069658&postcount=518

That was that Hitler visiting Auschwitz post wasn't it?

Yes, it was. I saw the thread linked again a while back...still funny. I'm going to hell.

I like devo but I understand this.

Stay away from women threads, including girl age

Stay away from gaming discussion

That's it You've mastered gaf

You know, if you don't get too heated you'll be fine. I've participated in (way too goddamn many) of those threads and I haven't been banned in a single one.

Stay respectful and keep an open mind.

I'd say that's pretty long.

I've only been banned once and it was for 1 month. Even that seemed long for what it was. I was not taking a Red Dead Redemption comparison (360 vs PS3) thread seriously.

Oh ok. I thought so. I might be on a shit list or something. I'll have to keep my head down.

Stay away from gaming discussion

As someone who pokes around in both sides I see lots of people saying this, but it still seems rather off to my eyes at least. I mean, gaming can get some really bizarre graveyard threads, but they are pretty few and far between. While on the OT aside from the specific themed threads (TV shows, art, sports) folks are discussing stuff like politics, abortion, austerity measures, women's rights, marriage equality, tipping, corporeal punishment, and other moderately sensitive topics with heated debate around them like 80% of the time. I might be way off on this though, maybe I just know what threads to avoid on the gaming side.

Log4Girlz

Do Mods let a thread they know will be controversial stew a bit, or is it actively read from its inception? I would totally wait a while before I entered, you know, for the lulz.

Boss Man

CHEEZMO™;39364387 said:
The Hitler aliens post was sooooo funny. I just couldn't stop chuckling at it for the rest of the day.
As I mentioned earlier, I think the key is to not post something unless it is more funny than it is offensive. While that post was absofuckinglutely hilarious, it was infinitely offensive. It's a very extreme example.

A mod told me that if I would continuously use Alt+F4 before pressing the submit reply button I'd be upgraded to gold account status...eventually.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note, were people banned in that "4chan accuses GAF as a Sony site" when they said "it's true!"?

I don't get the people that say don't post in gaming side. I haven't been here that long but the only threads that I used to see have fairly consistent bannings were sales threads, but that's because they drew console warriors to them like bees to honey. The way the NPD's work now, those threads aren't so much graveyards anymore though.

Just don't get into stupid SYSTEM WARZ! arguments and don't insult other posters. I see tons of people get banned simply because they felt the need to insult another poster.

For me in OT I try my best, without much luck most of the time, to avoid political threads since I can I get riled up about politics easily. The best is advice is what my mother always told me. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it all.

Mumei

The best is advice is what my mother always told me. If you don't have anything nice to say than don't say it all.

i4dQK0wWAFrRQ.jpg

Quite so.

I don't get the people that say don't post in gaming side. I haven't been here that long but the only threads that I used to see have fairly consistent bannings were sales threads, but that's because they drew console warriors to them like bees to honey. The way the NPD's work now, those threads aren't so much graveyards anymore though.

Just don't get into stupid SYSTEM WARZ! arguments and don't insult other posters. I see tons of people get banned simply because they felt the need to insult another poster.

For me in OT I try my best, without much luck most of the time, to avoid political threads since I can I get riled up about politics easily. The best is advice is what my mother always told me. If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it all.

only say a little bit.

sorry, I couldn't help myself

Bah, the "if you can't say anything nice..." angers me. Maybe people should hear the not nice stuff once in a while. Might actually make them stop to think about what they're saying or doing seeing as NOT saying anything is condoning their behavior.

Not to say that you should be a dick all the time. But occasionally mankind might benefit from it. Time and place and such.

only say a little bit.

sorry, I couldn't help myself

Yeah that was cheesey of me to say, but it's more so to do with interactions with other posters. There's nothing wrong with vigorous debate, but one of the most common bans seems to be someone who simply slings an insult at another poster like saying something like the person is a dumb fuck or something. That's a sure fire way to get a GAF vacation.

Yeah that was cheesey of me to say, but it more so to do with interactions with other posters. There's nothing wrong with vigorous debate, but one of the most common bans seems to be someone who simply slings an insult at another poster like saying something like the person is a dumb fuck or something. That's a sure fire way to get a GAF vacation.

nah, it's a great rule, just really hard to stick with when you're a hothead like me. btw I was poking fun at you forgetting the "at" part which changes the meaning a bit.

• Read the ToS
  • You can be a jerk, but make sure your post contains some substance besides
  • You can post memes, but be aware of the banned ones
  • Be aware of threads that can become ban-traps, and moderate yourself accordingly
  • If you're a biogted individual, don't share it with the forum
  • Be polite, even towards posters you disagree with

My only ban was a 2 week one and I thought it was pretty brutal. I browsed like normal but when someone said something I'd normally respond to I would click and then be reminded I couldn't post.

I was banned twice and I'm pretty sure they were both 3 month bans (maybe I'm remember the first one wrong). Both times were in mass ban threads on the gaming side. I've learned my lesson, though.

Be sure to make sweeping generalizations about people, and insult them unprovoked.
Do things like call Nintendo fans "genuinely frightening" and "creeps", and say they have "no bottom to their standards" and they "might as well be picking trash from the side of three dead rotting hobo corpses underneath the L train."

And do this kind of stuff while hypocritically calling out other people for it.

This post is so bitter my lips puckered.

Switters

Why aren't obvious "ban-bait" threads locked immediately? Do the mods see this as an easy way to separate the wheat from the chaff?

What do you think of the poetry of Keats?

I don't know how the hell I didn't get banned for this thread. Mod must have liked me or something.

Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom