• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that there's any real insight to be taken from this post, but the only thing I really try to do is remember that this is a public place that is moderated. The audience that may read my posts isn't just limited to people who know and like me, so I try to keep that in mind.

sakipon

also keep an eye on the banned meme list because it seems to update every now and then

got a week ban for posting neat spidey
So this is why the Spidey meme disappeared. A shame. While many memes are annoying and mostly used redundatly and in wrong places, I remember the 'Neat' thing and other old Spideys being great.

Oh well.

So this is why the Spidey meme disappeared. A shame. While many memes are annoying and mostly used redundatly and in wrong places, I remember the 'Neat!' thing and other old Spideys being great.

Oh well.

Spidey isn't banned, neat.jpg is because it adds nothing. It's just "cool story bro" in jpeg form.

E. No posts should be made regarding your opinion of another user's actions or behavior. You may not discuss the NeoGAF rules and regulations on the forum. Any and all discussions regarding these matters should be discussed by email only.

That's nice.

KevinCow

Banned
also keep an eye on the banned meme list because it seems to update every now and then

got a week ban for posting neat spidey

IUcLC.gif

You didn't get banned because it's a banned meme. You got banned because that picture at best adds absolutely nothing to the discussion at hand, and at worst is an attempt to threadshit.

Mods started banning people for posting it because it reached a point where every other damn thread had some guy posting the NEAT picture on the first page.

I mean I feel like it should be self-evident just by looking at that picture and the context that it's used in that it's basically the opposite of a contribution to the thread.

Something Awful has this in their posting guidelines, and while SA is obviously not GAF, I think it's a pretty good general guideline for posting anywhere:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?"

If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting.

Before you reply: Before replying, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"

If you can answer "yes" to this, then please reply. If you cannot, then refrain from replying.

It's pretty much the golden rule of internet message board posting. Follow that, plus the traditional golden rule of treating others how you'd like to be treated, and things should go swimmingly for you on nearly any message board you visit across the internet.

ced

Don't offend the incredibly over-sensitive people in the OT (good luck) and don't call anybody any names...

Tenks

I've been banned 2 or 3 times. Each time was pretty obvious why. Although once a mod was obviously trolling so I called him an idiot then he banned me. I felt like that was a pretty blatant abuse of power.

Stay away from all gender related threads, because if you don't agree with them then your a sexist.

If you talk about mens issues in a womens threads you're a troll who is derailing the thread, but the opposite is apparently not true...

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Stay away from all gender related threads, because if you don't agree with them then your a sexist.

If you talk about mens issues in a womens threads you're a troll who is derailing the thread, but the opposite is apparently not true...

Mind if I use this post to season my soup? It needs a little salt, you see.

Edit: FFS MARREC!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You can have an opinion but you should respect others as well. Basically don't be an ass and you'll be fine.

This.

Whenever a topic like this comes up, some folks like to chime in that GAF is all 'politically correct' and XX type of people are over-sensitive and you get banned for having an opinion they don't like.

But in reality, there are some pretty fiery opinions expressed everywhere on GAF that don't get the poster banned.

What generally doesn't seem to fly are posts that don't seem to recognize the difference between an opinion and an unsupportable claim, or stepping over some basic conversational rules. To be fair, I think in some cases a poster may not realize how they're engaging others and what it comes off as. But it can be difficult to tell that apart from a disingenuous act and genuine trolling to get reactions.

As far as I can see, mods don't often coddle people on that point, and can be liberal with (at least temporary) bans to get the point across by demonstration. Maybe that's heavy handed; I don't know.

Besides, in practice what seems to get people banned fastest are the two most objective no-nos - flinging outright slurs at other members, and gross attempts at humor in exactly the wrong topic. The classic 'post a dead baby joke for the story of a woman who miscarried' effect.

You can have an opinion but you should respect others as well. Basically don't be an ass and you'll be fine.

I really wish this was true, but...

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and several posters on here disrespect the opinions of others on virtually a daily basis and aren't punished for this.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Perm reasons by category, last 30 days...

Junior member banned for any reason: 22
Aggro / Jerk to others: 5
Console Warrior: 2
Long-term Gimmick: 2
Creepy: 2
By Request: 2
Dupe/Ban Evasion: 2* Both the same person
Commercial Spam: 1
Account Suicide: 1
Other: 1

This is pretty representative of overall ban statistics, maybe a little less console warrior stuff than normal because there were a lot of console warrior perms just before E3 that maybe made this a pretty light month for that stuff.

No follow-up questions or comments. Thanks.

I wonder what "other" is.

KevinCow

Banned
I really wish this was true, but...

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and several posters on here disrespect the opinions of others on virtually a daily basis and aren't punished for this.

Some people are good at getting away with being asses. That's how it is in real life, too.

What he said is true, though: Respect others and don't be an ass, and you'll probably be fine.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
"whatever you do, don't piss off devolution."

sphinx

the piano man
every year a new "up and coming" guy who would post in every damn thread, specially nintento threads appears. His life through GAF goes as follows:

.-approved, post everywhere with funny, anihawk-like comments
.-people cheer, turns in a few days into a gaf-celeb, at this point mods just lurk over the prey and wait.
.- come a game reveal, a gaming convention or some major announcment, BAM! the perma-hammer appears.

it happens at least once a year, the major gaf clown appears and goes forever. happens every single time.

are mods already used to this? do you guys warn the suspects before it's too late?

They know what they're getting themselves into. "Characters" need to try harder than most to persist long here, while maintaining "known" status.

every year a new "up and coming" guy who would post in every damn thread, specially nintento threads appears. His life through GAF goes as follows:

.-approved, post everywhere with funny, anihawk-like comments
.-people cheer, turns in a few days into a gaf-celeb, at this point mods just lurk over the prey and wait.
.- come a game reveal, a gaming convention or some major announcment, BAM! the perma-hammer appears.

it happens at least once a year, the major gaf clown appears and goes forever. happens every single time.

are mods already used to this? do you guys warn the suspects before it's too late?

Crushed?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I'm a good boy. I post stupid shit but I never insult others.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Adeshina365
Banned
(Yesterday, 11:57 PM)

HUAHUAHAUHAU

Only time I got banned was for posting scans (which was actually just a re-link for someone who asked for them since that thread was moving quite fast), and I learned my lesson from that!

I guess my other posts are harmless enough to not cause any trouble. :O

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Only time I got banned was for posting scans (which was actually just a re-link for someone who asked for them since that thread was moving quite fast), and I learned my lesson from that!

I guess my other posts are harmless enough to not cause any trouble. :O

I almost got banned with you guys for that. I posted scans too but they were like preview scans that were official and stuff. When I woke up the next day I saw people got banned for posting scans and I was like "WTF did I get banned too?". Luckily I didn't and I have remained pure ever since.

I almost got banned with you guys for that. I posted scans too but they were like preview scans that were official and stuff. When I woke up the next day I saw people got banned for posting scans and I was like "WTF did I get banned too?". Luckily I didn't and I have remained pure ever since.

I still lurked the thread, and saw someone being all "Oh fuck, I feel bad now cause I asked some people to repost the links". And that was exactly what I did, haha.

But eh, everyone has stains on their shirt, might as well fuck up once!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom