• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do the length of bans work? Usually I here the same things 1 week, 2 weeks, a month etc. Do mods have to choose one or do they just make up a number.

And what's the longest you can get banned for outside of the obvious perma ban?

I got 8 months. Now I cringe whenever I feel like making a bad post. It takes the fun out of posting knowing things can be so draconian. To be fair I was trolling a Wii thread, but that's also because I think the Wii is a piece of shit. Dissenting opinions sometimes don't get you very far around here...

What the hell? You're still here Dax?
:lol I know, it's like I dropped off the face of the planet. I may not post often but I'm still here! I keep out for several posters like you, beelzebozo, Rubxqub, Hitokage (seems to be a brony now, hm), Tobor, scorcho, etc.

Dibs on thread privileges for Abrams' next Star Trek film.

G-Fex

We do that every month.

Not in gaming forum and not talking about video games. Wrestling is silly stuff.

Which brings me to another point, they take stuff waaaaaaaaaaay too seriously in gaming side. Maybe if they were a little more mellow I'd visit more often.

:lol I know, it's like I dropped off the face of the planet. I may not post often but I'm still here! I keep out for several posters like you, beelzebozo, Rubxqub, Hitokage, Tobor, etc.

Dibs on thread privileges for Abrams' next Star Trek film.

Dax you were my bestest friend in my first few years here. I can't believe it's been this long since I've seen you. :D

Holy Wars

Banned
I got 8 months. Now I cringe whenever I feel like making a bad post. It takes the fun out of posting knowing things can be so draconian. To be fair I was trolling a Wii thread, but that's also because I think the Wii is a piece of shit. Dissenting opinions sometimes don't get you very far around here...

please don't be mean about the wii

Emwitus

If your a christian or religious like me, stay away from any religious thread. STAY AWAY. Life will be a lot better on gaf if you do and you won't hate any posters.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
If your a christian or religious like me, stay away from any religious thread. STAY AWAY. Life will be a lot better on gaf if you do and you won't hate any posters.

I would say either if you are religious or not to stay away from those.

Boss Man

As someone who bought a Wii and enjoys playing video games on it, I find your opinion of it incredibly offensive.

No shit.

kehs

Banned
I remember a mod mentioned a list of users who are constantly on gaf, but they said they'd never open it up.

(not so subtle request to check how far up I am)

If you're UK gaf never comment in a thread about Gypsies. Never ever. US gaf will just wield its mighty hammer of moral judgement and call you racist.

KHarvey16

I've never gotten the sense that those with unpopular opinions are targeted by moderators. It's just that a lot of times a poster with an unpopular opinion is rather bad at engaging in a civil discussion for whatever reason. I think anybody is fine as long as they go in willing to listen just as much as they share, and more than anything be open to re-evaluating your stance if someone provides you new information.

I remember a mod mentioned a list of users who are constantly on gaf, but they said they'd never open it up.

(not so subtle request to check how far up I am)

Lol, the tab is usually open if the computer's on regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. That must be quite a list.

I've never gotten the sense that those with unpopular opinions are targeted by moderators. It's just that a lot of times a poster with an unpopular opinion is rather bad at engaging in a civil discussion for whatever reason. I think anybody is fine as long as they go in willing to listen just as much as they share, and more than anything be open to re-evaluating your stance if someone provides you new information.
The problem with having an unpopular opinion is that the "hivemind" coordinates an effort to misrepresent the person's actual position as something completely opposite of the "right" opinion, and is willingly blind to any attempts by the person to correct them. That's practically coercing hostility from said person.

KHarvey16

The problem with having an unpopular opinion is that the "hivemind" coordinates an effort to misrepresent the person's actual position and is willingly blind to any attempts by the person to correct that. That's practically coercing hostility from said person.

Oh the reaction can certainly be provoked, and sometimes I do wish more would be done to prevent ganging up on posters who actually hold the opinion they're sharing as opposed to someone just looking for reactions. But ultimately the poster with the unpopular opinion can make the choice there. It's at least within their own control.

Boss Man

The problem with having an unpopular opinion is that the "hivemind" coordinates an effort to misrepresent the person's actual position as something completely opposite of the "right" opinion, and is willingly blind to any attempts by the person to correct them. That's practically coercing hostility from said person.
It is certainly an Internet forum.

Oh the reaction can certainly be provoked, and sometimes I do wish more would be done to prevent ganging up on posters who actually hold the opinion they're sharing as opposed to someone just looking for reactions. But ultimately the poster with the unpopular opinion can make the choice there. It's at least within their own control.
You're right but I think having some heated posts is preferable to allowing people to be intimidated into silence because they don't have the right opinion.

I suck at conveying a point. People assume that I'm insinuating something that I'm not.

On the other hand, I'm always open to re-evaluating my stance.

Stet

Banned
CHEEZMO™;39377458 said:
You should add me on LIVE so we can play COD together, bruh.

xX I elITez360n0SCop3z x 420GanJ4MAsta I Xx

thanks for reminding me that my xbox red ringed three years ago. buzzkill.

KHarvey16

You're right but I think having some heated posts is preferable to allowing people to be intimidated into silence because they don't have the right opinion.

Heated posts are ok I think, as long as they're not ridiculous or blatantly abusive. The frustration can be focused into a heated but coherent response or you can let it explode and just start calling people names. Definitely seen examples of both!

Baconbitz

Banned
From past examples I've learned to simply think before you post. Ask yourself questions before you hit the "Post" button such as is this stupid, crontoversial, trolling? Does this not follow the tos? Do I have an opinion that makes me look like an asshole? Ask yourself these questions.

Chumly

People tend to overreact on everything. They think they will get banned because they are conservative, religious, talk about women, don't like the wii but as long as the can engage in a conversation and aren't blatantly sexist/racist etc they never get banned. You can be rude to people but if your just flat out trolling then your going to get yourself banned. Especially if its REALLY "shitting" up a thread.

Boss Man

Hei. Yu-gi-oh is suitable for adults, too.
I felt this way about some things too, until the advent of online gaming. It's an interesting situation when you're all immersed in a game trying to get the better of your opponents, and this innocent voice comes through your headset and exclaims, "I'm nine years old! How old are you Fancy Corndog?"

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I felt this way about some things too, until the advent of online gaming. It's an interesting situation when you're all immersed in a game trying to get the better of your opponents, and this innocent voice comes through your headset and exclaims, "I'm nine years old! How old are you?"

I wonder how many times this has happened to Wooden and his UNO setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom