• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be a dick. Don't lie. Don't talk about things you don't know about. Remember there are real people on the other side.
And don't ever smoke pot.

jaxword

If your a christian or religious like me, stay away from any religious thread. STAY AWAY. Life will be a lot better on gaf if you do and you won't hate any posters.

If you find yourself hating strangers over dissenting religious opinions, perhaps it's a sign to take a good long look at yourself and why you react in such a poor way.

Jburton

Banned
If you find yourself hating strangers over dissenting religious opinions, perhaps it's a sign to take a good long look at yourself and why you react in such a poor way.

I am sure it is nothing to do with hating people because of differing opinions rather the fact that some of the atheist / anti-religion posters can be quite derogatory in the way they refer to religion.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I am sure it is nothing to do with hating people because of differing opinions rather the fact that some of the atheist / anti-religion posters can be quite derogatory in the way they refer to religion.
Spillover from certain hot-button political issues does not help either.

Fari

It seems like a lot of the aggressively anti-religion people here were born, raised and still live in very conservative and restrictive environments, usually in rural parts of the US.

They've got a lot of pent up anger which they can only really let out on the internet due to them still being "in the closet" in the real world.

jaxword

So? If you (Royal you) know something to be true, then it won't matter HOW derogatory someone is, it won't bother you one bit. If someone came up to me and screamed "The moon is cheese! You're stupid if you don't believe me!!" I wouldn't be offended or hurt or bothered. I'd think they were wrong and probably crazy. Maybe a bit annoyed, maybe I'd pity them, but no strong reaction like hatred.

Would YOU be bothered if someone, a stranger at that, spouted off things you KNOW aren't true? No, you wouldn't. You may be bothered by their mannerisms, find them annoying, but it wouldn't GET to you, deep down, regardless of how hard they screamed it.

Truth doesn't get its feelings hurt.

That's why I said if you are finding yourself reacting negatively and hating strangers for disagreeing with you, REGARDLESS of how "derogatory" they are, you need to take a good look at exactly what you believe and how confident you are in it. Note that I'm not just talking about religion, though it's a good example, I'm talking about beliefs in general and how strong they REALLY are.

Opiate

It seems like a lot of the aggressively anti-religion people here were born, raised and still live in very conservative and restrictive environments, usually in rural parts of the US.

They've got a lot of pent up anger which they can only really let out on the internet due to them still being "in the closet" in the real world.

It doesn't excuse the behavior, though.

I forgive a great deal because of restrictive or bad upbringings; people can be crazy (literally), or underachievers, or ignorant, and I won't hold it against them if they had bad parents.

One thing I do not forgive, however, is being a jerk. There is rarely ever a good excuse to be a mean spirited and cruel, in my opinion.

Row

Banned
don't have a strong opinion that goes against the majority and don't hurt a mods usually fragile ego

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Don't talk about pirating shit on the gaming side, or even hint that you are playing pirated stuff... but on the OT side you can talk about the new album leak that got downloaded.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

religion does not automatically deserve respect.

Tacitus_

Be a chosen one. Then you can post all manner of idiocy and it won't matter.

Nah. Even Wollan got banned eventually.

Don't talk about pirating shit on the gaming side, or even hint that you are playing pirated stuff... but on the OT side you can talk about the new album leak that got downloaded.

Go admit in a thread you pirated something in the OT. You'll get banned if a mod sees it.

Salih

not sure if this idea was already posted: Give the users one day per year where mods have absolutely no control over GAF, so people can post whatever the f*ck they want.

pls don't ban me for this stupid idea. pls.

but to be honest:
- stay out of heaty discussion.

Jburton

Banned
religion does not automatically deserve respect.

But do posters on this forum?

I say yes until they prove they deserve otherwise.

Also its a real dick move to believe that you have the right to trash peoples beliefs due to your own opinion.

Respectful debate is a must.

8ball22ofv.jpg

After every post.

Dude! That's a LOT of cocaine. I don't know if any of us could afford to post more than a couple times, and that's assuming no one has a stroke!

I find that it's best not to post if I feel REALLY strongly about something. Best to cool off, then revisit.

I wonder what would happen if all banned members were suddenly unbanned. I'm curious if they will return and be respectful, grateful that they've received a 2nd chance. Or maybe it'll be like a beast in captivity that, when released, would wreck everything up on the forums.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Also its a real dick move to believe that you have the right to trash peoples beliefs due to your own opinion.

A poster and a poster's beliefs are separate things. A poster may deserve respect, or at least not deserve utter disrepect, but the same can't be said about their beliefs.

jaxword

You seem to be avoiding my rebuttals to your stance. That's not very respectful, so you're already coming across as a hypocrite--and, by your own argument, that's someone who proves they don't deserve respect.

You have every right to trash other people's beliefs. This is the basis of one of America's saving graces, the right to speak your mind. And this right comes with a responsibility -- if you choose to trash someone's beliefs, then by damn you better be read to accept the responsibility of looking like an asshole and the consequences that come with that. And if you go too far, you get banned. That's part of the consequence.

Along the same lines, if you're putting your beliefs out into the public, it is completely and totally immature and delusional to only expect positive responses and to throw tantrums at those who disagree. If you can't handle criticism (from a stranger, at that) then you weren't ready to accept the consequences of speaking your mind.

Have you EVER considered the possibility that YOU expressing your beliefs may actually be offensive to others?

See, what people REALLY mean when they complain about their "beliefs" being trashed is that they just don't like people criticizing and poking holes in their worldview. THAT'S where the anger comes from--no one wants to realize their beliefs may be wrong.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Jaxword - can you please get an avatar? c'mon man!

blame space - why are you looking at old wikipedia edits from like 2007 or some shit? Also, how do you even do that?

edit: god damn it i refreshed like 3 times and blame spase still didn't respond.

edit 2: blame spase responded

Air

Banned
It doesn't excuse the behavior, though.

I forgive a great deal because of restrictive or bad upbringings; people can be crazy (literally), or underachievers, or ignorant, and I won't hold it against them if they had bad parents.

One thing I do not forgive, however, is being a jerk. There is rarely ever a good excuse to be a mean spirited and cruel, in my opinion.

This. You can have you're opinion on whatever it is you want, but you shouldn't be a dick about it no matter how right or wrong you are. You also can't expect to get reactions from more serious posters who are tired of interacting with adults who behave like children because someone feels the need to bring down a conversation with a crappy attitude.

(cur | prev) 16:49, 21 October 2011‎ 173.15.170.161 (talk)‎ . . (7,026 bytes) (+535)‎ . . (NeoGAF's support for the detestable homosexual lifestyle) (undo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom