• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snesfreak

Banned
I remember some years ago I think it was dragona who said mods could see what was originally posted, before editing to cover the shit. lol

I am not sure if she was just bluffing but I say it so you don't stress yourself over the edits, just behave well.
I know it's possible in VBulletin, whether they have it enabled on GAF I don't know.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
So uhm, lol

DRyka.jpg

Where did you even get this?

Opiate

That's kind of neat to know that you guys talk to each other about how to deal with people. I always thought it was just on a single person's call.

I almost don't want to ask, but I'm also curious to know if I'm considered a problem poster or if I'm pretty low on the radar.

So, to give you an idea of how we operate, here is what I could discern of your post history from about 5 minutes of research:

1) I can see you are not listed as a "troublemaker" by any moderator
2) I can see you have been banned 7 times over the last four and a half years by 4 different moderators
3) I can see who has banned you and why (you were most recently banned for reasons categorized as "jerk," with a link to the offending post and an explanation)
4) I can check your IP to see if it matches other names I suspect you of using

I have access to other information, but this easily the most relevant on a consistent basis when determining how to deal with posters. For example, someone identified as a problem poster with significant bans all for bigoted comments is going to be given less leeway if he posts another bigoted comment in the future. Even things I simply suspect are bigoted can get that person in trouble, when other less problematic posters would be able to post the same thing without issue -- context matters. Junior members are also subject to particular intensive moderation.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, to give you an idea of how we operate, here is what I could discern of your post history from about 5 minutes of research:

Each of you guys have a list of "troublemakers"?

.....I am not in any of them, right?

Boss Man

This isn't funny. It's a severe threat to free speech. I'm calling 911 and telling them that 'EviLore' is impending on my rights as an American Internet citizen.

2) I can see you have been banned 7 times spanning for and a half years
3) I can see who has banned you and why (you were most recently banned for being a "jerk")

I have access to other information, but this easily the most relevant on a consistent basis when determining how to deal with posters. For example, someone identified as a problem poster with significant bans all for bigoted comments is going to be given less leeway if he posts another bigoted comment in the future. Junior members are also subject to particular intensive moderation.
Do me! Do me!
I suspect that no one has ever acknowledged my existence for good or for bad.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

2) I can see you have been banned 7 times over the last four and a half years by 4 different moderators
3) I can see who has banned you and why (you were most recently banned for reasons categorized as "jerk," with a link to the offending post and an explanation)

I have access to other information, but this easily the most relevant on a consistent basis when determining how to deal with posters. For example, someone identified as a problem poster with significant bans all for bigoted comments is going to be given less leeway if he posts another bigoted comment in the future. Junior members are also subject to particular intensive moderation.

Wow wow wow that's really interesting. I've totally had a few of my posts deleted before am I listed as a troublemaker?

Opiate

Do me! Do me!
I suspect that no one has ever acknowledged my existence for good or for bad.

You have never been banned. You are not listed on any troublemaker lists. Your IP does not immediately appear to match any aliases. I can see what college you went to (Because of your listed email) and I see you are using Central Time Zone settings. I can see many other things as well, but as stated, the four I listed are by far the most useful for moderation purposes -- I almost never look at the rest unless I have specific reason to suspect someone of something particularly nefarious (i.e. alternate accounts, viral marketer, etc).

Pretty Panda said:
Wow wow wow that's really interesting. I've totally had a few of my posts deleted before am I listed as a troublemaker?

No. Generally speaking, it takes quite a bit more than this to be listed as a trouble maker. There are real, living, still-not-perma-banned NeoGAF users with 13+ bans in their posting history.

Ultima_5

I have access to other information, but this easily the most relevant on a consistent basis when determining how to deal with posters. For example, someone identified as a problem poster with significant bans all for bigoted comments is going to be given less leeway if he posts another bigoted comment in the future. Even things I simply suspect are bigoted can get that person in trouble, when other less problematic posters would be able to post the same thing without issue -- context matters. Junior members are also subject to particular intensive moderation.

Oh man, doing this is going to open up a can of worms. No everyone is going to want to see there stats...
like I secretly do :p

Lots of users asking for their report cards incoming.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This isn't funny. It's a severe threat to free speech. I'm calling 911 and telling them that 'EviLore' is impending on my rights as an American Internet citizen.

Do me! Do me!I suspect that no one has ever acknowledged my existence for good or for bad.[/spoiler]

Dude, I totally notice you.

Psych. No fucking clue.

You have never been banned. You are not listed on any troublemaker lists. Your IP does not immediately appear to match any aliases. I can see what college you went to (Because of your listed email) and I see you are using Central Time Zone settings. I can see many other things as well, but as stated, the four I listed are by far the most useful for moderation purposes -- I almost never look at the rest unless I have specific reason to suspect someone of something particularly nefarious (i.e. alternate accounts, viral marketer, etc).

No. Generally speaking, it takes quite a bit more than this to be listed as a trouble maker. There are real, living, still-not-perma-banned NeoGAF users with 13+ bans in their posting history.

Conversely, does troublemaker require a lot of bans?

G-Fex

I'm pretty sure i'm listed as troublemaker.

Doesn't matter what else it says. I'm too dull to start stupid controversial threads or start real trouble.

prwxv3

If you want to troll, be as offensive as possible, let out all your really unpopular opinions, ect. Go to 4chan. Seriously though /pol/ has constant threads that would cause meltdown here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom