• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor question for those aware of the new swearing policy - I understand that calling someone a bitch isn't okay, but is using bitch not as a direct insult (Like, "Quit bitching") in the clear?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Minor question for those aware of the new swearing policy - I understand that calling someone a bitch isn't okay, but is using bitch not as a direct insult (Like, "Quit bitching") in the clear?

Do you honestly not know the difference? If not, then refrain completely.

SriK

The bans on "bitch," "cunt," etc. are just against calling other posters names (or is it calling anyone a name, even e.g. celebrities or fictional characters?) right? Also, variations on "retarded" are off limits or not? Just want to clarify, thanks.

I was very nervous my first day posting, which was only a few days ago.

Still kind of am. I always think about what I type first, asking myself, "You've been lurking here for years, you see what people get banned for.... is this even remotely banworthy?"

If there's even the slightest chance that it is, I pull back and don't post it.

I was very nervous my first day posting, which was only a few days ago.

Still kind of am. I always think about what I type first, asking myself, "You've been lurking here for years, you see what people get banned for.... is this even remotely banworthy?"

If there's even the slightest chance that it is, I pull back and don't post it.

if you live your life like that how can you enjoy yourself. Let it go, just let your heart speak first.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
No way, man.

Waited too long to be able to post here to lose it by saying something stupid. =P
Same here. If I disagree with somebody and feel I'm going to argue, I back out of the thread. It makes posting more fun, because I don't have to deal with petty arguments.

That said, I can't believe you'd take your username from the worst book by the Brontë sisters.

The bans on "bitch," "cunt," etc. are just against calling other posters names (or is it calling anyone a name, even e.g. celebrities or fictional characters?) right?

As a very broad (and not absolute) rule, insults are less tolerable against gaffers (i.e. people you're actually talking to in a conversation) than public figures (and moreso again vs. fictional characters), but "cunt" is definitely in the category with words that you shouldn't call anyone for any reason.

Also, variations on "retarded" are off limits or not? Just want to clarify, thanks.

As an insult? Definitely not okay. As a non-specific descriptor ("this situation is retarded") -- I don't really recommend it personally but I can't recall anyone being banned for this. As I think we've tried to make clear when we've talked about this before, our goal isn't to rein in coarse language or anything, just to police how people treat other people.

I just went in the gay thread (I was curious) and someone has bitch in their tag. A mod should probably take care of it.

There are actually quite a few tags on GAF that probably wouldn't fly as direct posts - "will suck cock while GAF watches" "allergic to pussy" "so-and-so's bitch" "motherfucking dumbshit member", etc.

That said, I can't believe you'd take your username from the worst book by the Brontë sisters.

Well, I share an equal love for Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, with The Tenant of Wildfell Hall not far behind.

But, as it happens, my copy of WH is what my eyes fell upon as I was scanning the room for user name inspiration. =P

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
There are actually quite a few tags on GAF that probably wouldn't fly as direct posts - "will suck cock while GAF watches" "allergic to pussy" "so-and-so's bitch" "motherfucking dumbshit member", etc.
GDGF watches, actually. I feel like most of the offensive tags are probably done in good humor, or the person deserved it. I don't think the Teh Hamburglar's allergic to pussy tag is offensive though.

Well, I share an equal love for Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, with The Tenant of Wildfell Hall not far behind.

But, as it happens, my copy of WH is what my eyes fell upon as I was scanning the room for user name inspiration. =P
Jane Eyre's one of my favorite books of all time. It's so trashy that I can't help but love it.

I've never read Wuthering Heights.

As an insult? Definitely not okay. As a non-specific descriptor ("this situation is retarded") -- I don't really recommend it personally but I can't recall anyone being banned for this. As I think we've tried to make clear when we've talked about this before, our goal isn't to rein in coarse language or anything, just to police how people treat other people.

Sorry, but I don't think this is clear at all. Solo (justifiably) called a fellow gaffer a cunt, and ultimately goes unpunished. Another gaffer called Olivia Wilde (the b-grade celebrity) a bitch, jokingly, and received a week ban.

That makes no sense.

GDGF watches, actually. I feel like most of the offensive tags are probably done in good humor, or the person deserved it. I don't think the Teh Hamburglar's allergic to pussy tag is offensive though.

Oh no, I know. I'm not offended by any of those, and I'm sure they're all in good humor - but considering we're saying "x word is never ok in any context", it's a tad incongruous. "Pussy" can be/is pretty offensive for a lot of the same reasons "cunt" is in the US, just perhaps to a smaller degree. A lot of these tags are funny because they're offensive, but I don't think anybody could ever get away with posting calling another member a cocksucker, even in jest.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Oh no, I know. I'm not offended by any of those, and I'm sure they're all in good humor - but considering we're saying "x word is never ok in any context", it's a tad incongruous. "Pussy" can be/is pretty offensive for a lot of the same reasons "cunt" is in the US, just perhaps to a smaller degree.
Ah, okay, I get that. I think most, if not all, of the pussy tags are just puns about people with cat problems.

Ah, okay, I get that. I think most, if not all, of the pussy tags are just puns about people with cat problems.

It's amazing how different contexts can make things funny or not funny!

But yeah, in general I don't really see how mods not liking people calling other people gendered insults or other rude things is a bad thing. Not being a di- er, jerk and making the board a good environment for everyone is something I can get behind.

Wasnt there at a point when saying " retarded" got you banned?

I would hope that straight up calling someone retarded would be something frowned upon around here.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It's amazing how different contexts can make things funny or not funny!

But yeah, in general I don't really see how mods not liking people calling other people gendered insults or other rude things is a bad thing. Not being a di- er, jerk and making the board a good environment for everyone is something I can get behind.
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised by the number of people who seem shocked that there are words that have extremely negative connotations, sometimes regardless of the situation they're used in, and other words that are considered offensive under certain contexts. One of the reasons I started visiting GAF as opposed to other forums is that I really liked and respected the board's policies. I don't want those to change.

magicstop

This thread has turned ridiculous.
How about, if you don't know, steer clear?

GamerVoice said:
if you live your life like that how can you enjoy yourself. Let it go, just let your heart speak first.

Oh boy, you aren't long for this world, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom