• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the secret to not getting permanently banned from NeoGAF.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Don't troll
Don't be a bigot
Don't be an idiot
Don't be disrespectful
Don't break the rules of the TOS

Short and to the point.

My bans have been mostly because I was an idiot. I've posted a few offensive posts/jokes without really thinking it through and have gotten banned for it. I try to think my posts through a little more as a result.

Also, don't make permaban bets.

Hex

Banned
Stay away from racial threads, sexual preference threads, and political threads.
Never assume that because you saw someone else get away with saying something that it means that it is safe for you to say it.
Ignore assclowns that try to bait you. It is not worth it.

Banned
It'd be good to see a list of the posts that got people banned, as they're usually entertaining or at least interesting rides.

Mumei

Always hedge your earnest opinion with some weaselly non-committal language or similar loophole.

I'll never understand why people do this. I have never had a debate with someone doing this where I wondered to myself, "I wonder what his opinion really is?" It is apparent within a few posts of back-and-forth where they stand, and the only surprise is exactly how much they are trying to hide.

Tenks

Is it still bannable if you imply or outright state men are better at certain things than women or is that no longer happening since that one mod left

also if you think you're cool make sure to say dont go in gaming or came for gaming stayed for ot or some crap like that.
Dont worry about the tos either, they change it when they feel like it.

Just some good looking out you feel me

make sure you capitilize or some shit to be taken seriously, and everything is a debate.

Posting in the Gaming Forum is fine if you just avoid threads that pit one game against another or one platform against another (I've made this mistake). Don't get baited into stupid arguments and keep some perspective. If a thread about video games is getting overly hostile, just avoid it. What's the point?

bengraven

Don't troll
Don't be a bigot
Don't be an idiot
Don't be disrespectful
Don't break the rules of the TOS

You'll be fine

C8zyq.gif

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Been here about three or four years and I have yet to banned. I might have pushed it a little from time to time by getting assy to some people but I generally walk away if I find myself getting irate.

Holy Wars

Banned
people getting banned for arbitrary reasons is part of gaf's gimmick. it's how I heard of the place. it's an intentionally constructed reality of posting here and there's no way to avoid it. i'll be banned eventually but I will come back stronger than before

people getting banned for arbitrary reasons is part of gaf's gimmick. it's how I heard of the place. it's an intentionally constructed reality of posting here and there's no way to avoid it. i'll be banned eventually but I will come back stronger than before

Unless it's perma, then you gotta Alt Account.

Esch

Banned
It'd be good to see a list of the posts that got people banned, as they're usually entertaining or at least interesting rides.

except that 60% of them would be useless without thread context

certain posts can get you banned in some threads and they would be fine in others. Thread context matters a lot, the tone and direction of the thread used to be a clear marker to bannage or not a couple of years back (perhaps because Dragona or one of the other older mods would commit pogroms after a wave of bad posts). The current mod staff is much better, they drop warnings before bans usually in such threads.

GAF is in a weird place right now, between the old internet where you could say pretty much anything and a new standard of political correctness across the board. Surprised you can still say retard here, although I suppose thats because GAF might not have a very high population of mentally handicapped people, though.

Whenever I see someone banned I like to look at their last few posts to see what happened and more times than not, I can't find anything ban worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom