• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Glix

Using the Zelda CE case i thought it was garish but i got a number of compliments on how cool it looked from non gamers.

I am BEYOND annoyed that the hybrid cover is not shipping to gamestop until the 10th at the earliest. Ive had it pre ordered since day one.

Mael

They cancelled on me out of the blue yesterday. Was set to arrive on the 8th.

It was set to arrive today for me.
They cancelled on me yesterday, I reordered it for pickup and I'm playing Zelda now with the map and all.
In the end I got it a day early :)
Did you try to reorder it or something when they cancelled on you?

What is the quality of this one, actually came across this one in a Walmart, already have Zelda but would it be worth it to get this for the carrying case and returning the Zelda to gamestop.

Mael

What is the quality of this one, actually came across this one in a Walmart, already have Zelda but would it be worth it to get this for the carrying case and returning the Zelda to gamestop.

It seems like a Zelda skin version of the regular one.
Nothing bad to say about it.
Very happy I have one.
also the game case is different from the normal single copy version of the game so you can't just sell it as a new copy of the regular normal edition of the game.

Samaritan

I'm noticing that there seems to be two different versions of PDP's "starter kit". There are the Zelda and Mario ones, where the case is quite bulky and has a pouch for cords, chargers, and other accessories. And then there is the plain, unbranded "starter kit" which appears to have just the basic $15 PDP case with only slots for game cards and a spot for the Switch itself.

Is there not a plain, unbranded version of the larger case? It seems like far and away the most convenient case out there right now, but I'd rather have it without any of the Zelda or Mario branding.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Everything is sold out on Amazon and in retail, but I was able to order the Mario one from Target.

KAL2006

Banned
I realise the zip travel cases are not the most ideal for me. Any travel cases with a flap with a button or it just sticks. Wanna be able to quickly pull out a Switch instead of opening by unzipping

Everything is sold out on Amazon and in retail, but I was able to order the Mario one from Target.

I was randomly able to order the official case from Target.com yesterday. I saw it was listed, ordered and was promptly sold out right after. Seems like no one just bought the Switch, they got a whole mess of accessories because everything is sold out.

ag-my001

Are there any licensed cases or skins with classic NES or Gameboy schemes?

Also, :lol at all the items I've seen here that Amazon lists as "usually shipped in 1-2 months".

jacobeid

Banned
Is anyone else seriously disappointed with the PDP case? I just got mine an hour or so ago. I bought the Surge case on Amazon for launch since I wasn't sure when my PDP would ship and honestly it's leaps and bounds better....Am I crazy? The PDP case just seems like terrible quality materials with terrible quality manufacturing on top of that. I hate how the mesh area is right where I have to place the switch on top of. Whenever I put the joycons straps+headphones in there it makes the back bulge out and doesn't let it sit flat on a surface anymore unless I flip it over....

lenovox1

Is anyone else seriously disappointed with the PDP case? I just got mine an hour or so ago. I bought the Surge case on Amazon for launch since I wasn't sure when my PDP would ship and honestly it's leaps and bounds better....Am I crazy? The PDP case just seems like terrible quality materials with terrible quality manufacturing on top of that. I hate how the mesh area is right where I have to place the switch on top of. Whenever I put the joycons straps+headphones in there it makes the back bulge out and doesn't let it sit flat on a surface anymore unless I flip it over....

Well, I just learned from this very forum that you're supposed to put the NS in the mess part. I guess accessories could go on top?

🌈 And that's that on that. 🌈

But, yes about everything else. But it is only $15.

D.Lo

I got the RDS case, pretty good as I love RDS' cases, but then saw this one in the shop and grabbed it:

inlay-SWITCHPOUCH_04.jpg

https://www.bigben-interactive.co.uk/bigben-products/gaming-accessories/eva-carry-case

I love this much more. You take off the joycons and it has a much smaller footprint, and the result is the whole thing closed it barely larger than a 3DS XL case.

Poppyseed

I got the RDS case, pretty good as I love RDS' cases, but then saw this one in the shop and grabbed it:

inlay-SWITCHPOUCH_04.jpg

https://www.bigben-interactive.co.uk/bigben-products/gaming-accessories/eva-carry-case

I love this much more. You take off the joycons and it has a much smaller footprint, and the result is the whole thing closed it barely larger than a 3DS XL case.

Guess it depends on your wants. I don't want to worry about juggling a system and JoyCon and risk dropping anything.

linkboy

inlay-SWITCHPOUCH_04.jpg

That case is exactly the style of case that I'm looking for. Really wish I could find one in the U.S.

I've currently got the Hori case and it works, but I don't like that it doesn't have the mesh pocket for accessories.

Poppyseed

This may have swayed me a bit. I just received the Hori case, and while I loved it for my PS Vita, I'm not sure how I feel about it for my Switch...

Well don't read too much into it. Depending HOW it drops, it's probably still possible to damage the Switch inside. But I'm less concerned about that than just regular bumps around in a bag, which this will do great with.

If you have MUST have drop protection, I'd absolutely go with the RDS Traveler case.

Peltz

D.Lo

Oh. Looks nice. I grabbed the rds one online but I don't have it yet.

Should I cancel it?
I personally prefer it. It's lower quality (RDS ones are really premium) but half the price and solid enough (about Hori 3DS case quality) and it's just in a better format IMO.

So currently what's the best alternative to the Sheikah Slate case packed in with the limited edition of BotW?
The RDS case seems to be the top contender.
If you wanna splurge a little ($79) you might also consider the Waterfield case, but as far as I know they haven't shipped and there are no impressions yet.

Fliesen

With travel cases being in rather short supply at my local retailers, i opted to get the Hori tough pouch.

it would be perfect if the top half also had some kind of net compartment where you could put a USB-C cable and possibly a slim charging brick. (I'll probably end up putting a short (0.5m) USB-C cable into one of the game cartridge holders). Beyond that, the build quality and impact protection is pretty okay for a 17€ bag protecting my 329€ console.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
With travel cases being in rather short supply at my local retailers, i opted to get the Hori tough pouch.

it would be perfect if the top half also had some kind of net compartment where you could put a USB-C cable and possibly a slim charging brick. (I'll probably end up putting a short (0.5m) USB-C cable into one of the game cartridge holders). Beyond that, the build quality and impact protection is pretty okay for a 17€ bag protecting my 329€ console.

the one from nintendo is imho horrible. way to soft and not really good. I started thinking about buying this one. how hard is it?

Ok that looks nice. But I will be carrying the Switch and it's pouch in my backbag or in my shoulder bag anyways so it doesn't matter how sexy the pouch is to me.

I love threads like these, because we get to see each others' ideas and solutions.

In my case, I wanted a stylish pouch since I'll be using my Switch mostly as a handheld. Didn't want to place in into my backpack unprotected.

I just realized, the Switch is by far the console that I've owned that I've accessorized for the most lol (or at the least will be)

sleepnaught

I use the Zelda Special Edition case. Looks neat, but the Switch charger is so big that it barely fits inside. Makes a slight buldge in the case.

Lucifon

My Breath of the Wild special edition just got cancelled on me. The current recommended case here is this guy right?

91rXJJEHSyL._SL1500_.jpg

Has anyone managed to get this in the UK? My preorder went to 31.03.17 on Shopto now and I could really use a case. Seems out of stock / delayed absolutely everywhere.

budpikmin

The official case is great because of the built in kickstand. I'm too nervous to use the system kickstand on the train as it's so flimsy, but the one in the case is solid

Fliesen

Ok that looks nice. But I will be carrying the Switch and it's pouch in my backbag or in my shoulder bag anyways so it doesn't matter how sexy the pouch is to me.

Aye. I needed something that will hold my Switch + a few games + a charging cable which protects it when i chuck it into my backpack or ... handbag. Not a "Switch satchel".
I don't get those travel cases that have a handle, whatsoever. Like, are you really gonna carry it around by that bulky ass handle?

the one from nintendo is imho horrible. way to soft and not really good. I started thinking about buying this one. how hard is it?

The top and bottom are rather firm material that does ever so slighty compress. - it's kind of a really stiff foam, i suppose. So especially along the corners - where the Switch sits - i feel it should offer great shock absorption.

This Hori case isn't in a box, like some of those PDP cases, so you can actually try how it feels at your local retailer.

this is me resting my 13" retina macbook pro on the top surface.
it doesn't bend under the weight. It's really rather durable.

I also like the "flap" that covers the screen. There's other cases that only have that kind of net compartment in the top shell of the case, but a net won't prevent the edge of a USB-A connector from directly coming into contact with your screen.
it would be optimal to have both, though. There's plenty of free space in the top shell of the case

Rezbit

I just purchased a Powerwave Switch Starter Pack, mostly because I wanted a screen protector and just something cheap to keep me going before I get a glass screen protector. The case itself is a basic EVA case with a net on the inside and two stretchy bits of material to keep the system snug. It'll do the job, but I might still get something sturdier if I take it out on adventures.

Burli

Pringo

inlay-SWITCHPOUCH_04.jpg

You're in the UK right? I want the RDS case but can't find it anywhere and this looks like a good second choice but the website you linked doesn't actually give you the option to buy anything?

Anyone else had any luck finding the RDS case in the UK?

ramparter

Banned
Is there any case that can hold the Switch unit, they joycons attatched to grip and the ac adapter (basically anything except the dock)?

It was set to arrive today for me.
They cancelled on me yesterday, I reordered it for pickup and I'm playing Zelda now with the map and all.
In the end I got it a day early :)
Did you try to reorder it or something when they cancelled on you?

No? You were able to re-order the Special Edition after they cancelled on you? The only ones available were like $220 from a third party seller after they cancelled mine yesterday.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Is the hori supposed to take the grips like that? I have that case but I'd be happy to live without the grips (or just throw them in my bag separately) in return for a slimmer case protecting just the switch

D.Lo

You're in the UK right? I want the RDS case but can't find it anywhere and this looks like a good second choice but the website you linked doesn't actually give you the option to buy anything?

Anyone else had any luck finding the RDS case in the UK?
I'm in Australia.

Top Bottom