• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Doombear

Has anyone bit the bullet and ordered a Waterfield case? It's pricey but I feel like there's at least one thing I don't like about each case I've seen (except that one).

If anyone's got one already, some impressions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know that they have finished production at all on them. I personally ordered a Cityslicker (as I LOVE the ones I have for my 3DS and Vita) and just wrote Gary and crew an email yesterday about the progress on them. Quick reply back from them said they are actually looking like they will be shipping out ahead of the promised dates (so in a week or two hopefully) as production is going well. I can't wait. My ONLY gripe is that they added their logo on the front of the cases... so it won't match the ones I have. lol. Kind of the worst gripe ever right?

In the meantime I picked up the Nintendo Traveler's Case and it is sturdy as hell. Makes sense it is the most recommended.

I will likely pass it on to a GAF member in the Free to a Good Home thread once the Waterfield shows up. It really is quite sturdy. The system seems to sit very well in it, doesn't move around at all, and the shell feels very protective.

SystemUser

I have the Hori plastic sticker on the screen and I throw it in my jacket pocket. The AC adapter, a battery, a USB cable, and sometimes a charging grip with extra joycons go in my backpack.

I don't think so. Pretty sure that its the one that came with the collectors edition. I have it too, its good.

Edit - ahhh research shows its the same interior. So basically its the same case.

3203288-zeldamasteredition-8.jpg
This case looks so tacky in person. First thing after taking it out of the box was putting it on Ebay :/

Edit: Sold within 20 minutes and now I'm gonna order the Waterfield case.

Cyanity

Banned
My Ravpower 20,100 mAh brick came in the mail today! It fits perfectly in my Sheikah Slate case, so should work with any of the other cases out there with the same internal design. some photos:

deadeye

I'm using the collectors edition case. I bought it, so why not? It's not the prettiest, but I like what it's made of. Not completely a hard case, but good enough that I can keep it in my book-bag with my laptop, and not have to worry.

Edit: All I need now is the tempered glass screen protector I ordered from Amazon. Then all will be well.

TwiztidElf

I've been using a laptop case in my messenger bag for now. There are no Switch travel cases in any retailer anywhere around me. I've ordered the Mario one off the internet.

In happier news, despite my long commute, I'm able to play Zelda the whole time to work and back and not run out of power. I thought it was going to be a close thing, but there was power left. I don't have to worry about a powerbank now.

What's the best battery pack for charging this bad boy on the go? The one mentioned above earlier this page says on it's Amazon page that it's not compatible with the Switch, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Poppyseed

Noticed that the Link's tunic case is available on the the Nintendo store in a starter pack if anyone is on the hunt for that one.

I had it from Best Buy and returned it yesterday. It's super duper tacky in person, and there's far too much lateral movement for the Switch itself. I don't recommend it. If that bothers you, the SE case is the same design inside, too, and I don't recommend it either.

Haines

Banned
I love the official one but i feel like maybe my needs are less than others.

Used it last couple days with no issues. The screen protector went on perfectly in 30 seconds and it was my first one ever. It looks discrete and easy to handle.

Holds my joycon straps and games. All i need.

Also seemed fairly priced for the case and protector.

I like the PDP one, I got the boring plain version and not the link or Mario versions.
Low on protecting, high on looks for when I just throw it in my bag which is all I need it for.

Cyanity

Banned
Okay so I let my Switch get down to 36% before plugging the RAVPower in. I've been playing BotW for almost an hour now, and it's still at 36%. This is about what I expected. I'll put it in sleep mode and check back in an hour to see where the battery's at.

edit - no, wait, it just ticked up to 37%. Guessing it happened because I was just surveying a large area instead of running around in lag-heavy places.

double edit - Nope, this thing is actually charging the Switch even though BotW is running.

MarkusRJR

The official case finally came in the mail.

Honestly pretty disappointed. It feels tight against the joycon's analog sticks when closed, and the mesh pocket doesn't even fit anything worthwhile. I can't put the joycon wrist straps. Not even sure what the purpose of it is.

Kinda want to get the Hori case now, but I don't have money to spare after buying the Switch and Zelda.

Karish

The official case finally came in the mail.

Honestly pretty disappointed. It feels tight against the joycon's analog sticks when closed, and the mesh pocket doesn't even fit anything worthwhile. I can't put the joycon wrist straps. Not even sure what the purpose of it is.

Kinda want to get the Hori case now, but I don't have money to spare after buying the Switch and Zelda.

PMed you. I'll buy it from you. Or trade you my PDP Mario one

_Clash_

What would someone recommend for the user that may want a collection of gamecards and Power bank or charger in the case?

Compact is always good, premium if applicable not a problem

Fliesen

What would someone recommend for the user that may want a collection of gamecards and Power bank or charger in the case?

Compact is always good, premium if applicable not a problem

the Link Tunic (and i think some other first party(?) cases) have a rather decent combination of pouch in the top + game cards on inside flap.
the pouch in the top would hold a regular power bank (like, not a 20.000mAh brick)

Spidy

Neo Member
I made my own:
1. Place Switch into nice wool sock to protect the screen
2. Place Switch+sock snug into white cardboard box container with custom made drawing

I intend to add slots inside the case (beneath the lid) for cartridges.

Switch%20Case2.jpg

Vitacat

I made my own:
1. Place Switch into nice wool sock to protect the screen
2. Place Switch+sock snug into white cardboard box container with custom made drawing

I intend to add slots inside the case (beneath the lid) for cartridges.

Switch%20Case2.jpg
Well, I think you probably win the originality award for Switch cases. :p
Personally, I'm good with my good old RDS.

Spidy

Neo Member
Well, I think you probably win the originality award for Switch cases. :p
Personally, I'm good with my good old RDS.

Hah thanks. Quite happy with this. My other idea was to do something along the lines of:
148451537059872d4c6caedd32b3f406.jpg

But I don't have a hardcover book the right size.

Zafir

the Link Tunic (and i think some other first party(?) cases) have a rather decent combination of pouch in the top + game cards on inside flap.

the pouch in the top would hold a regular power bank (like, not a 20.000mAh brick)

Actually, I have the Mario one of that case, and it holds my RavPower 26800mAh one just fine!

LiK

My Ravpower 20,100 mAh brick came in the mail today! It fits perfectly in my Sheikah Slate case, so should work with any of the other cases out there with the same internal design. some photos:

Damn, looks perfect. Does Nintendo make the same case with different cover? I really don't wanna carry around the Sheik case, tbh.

Zafir

Damn, looks perfect. Does Nintendo make the same case with different cover? I really don't wanna carry around the Sheik case, tbh.

There's some Mario ones, and another Zelda design.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT8XY4V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There isn't one which is more minimalist in its design though. The Mario M icon is probably the least in your face one you can get.

The black one at the end of that Amazon page is a completely different case design (no partition in the middle and smaller)

LiK

There's some Mario ones, and another Zelda design.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT8XY4V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There isn't one which is more minimalist in its design though. The Mario M icon is probably the least in your face one you can get.

The black one at the end of that Amazon page is a completely different case design (no partition in the middle and smaller)

Dammit, why can't they just make one that doesn't scream "SWITCH HERE". But thanks for that. At least I can just buy one and not worry about it getting banged up.

gypsie

Ermm.... I wrap it in a t-shirt and throw it in my backpack currently.

I imagine after a few weeks I won't even bother with the t-shirt.

IMG_20170309_113036_zpskaczh3e3.jpg

Oh no imgur - ermm yea okay dunno how to make it work I am too stupid.

Ah ha! Photobucket. Okay.

Vidiot

I don't understand the Sheikah Slate case complaints. It looks exactly the same in person as it did in pictures online. It looks like Link's Sheikah Slate. As a huge Zelda nerd I personally love it!

Burli

Pringo
So just to confirm, in the UK it looks like there's not a single case that's either readily available or considered fault-free?

Official case: Sold Out & Crappy
Hori tough case: Bit crappy
RDS cases: Completely unavailable
Numerous Amazon knock-offs: Crappy

What a load of Nintendongs.

0racle

So just to confirm, in the UK it looks like there's not a single case that's either readily available or considered fault-free?

Official case: Sold Out & Crappy
Hori tough case: Bit crappy
RDS cases: Completely unavailable
Numerous Amazon knock-offs: Crappy

What a load of Nintendongs.

Why is the hori a bit crappy?

Burli

Pringo
Why is the hori a bit crappy?

Reviews are lukewarm at best and this guy on Amazon gave good insight:

It's big, really big. To fit the whole switch in that makes some sense but it no savings have been made anywhere else. The tongue is weirdly thick but it's about the only thing using space in the rather unnecessary lid area. The openings for the cartridge elastic points towards the join and it's very close, making use fiddly. There is a loop below the cart row which could be used for a power cord. However if it shook loose it wouldn't do much to stop the connectors scratching the joycons, or even the edges of the screen. The Switch itself is held down by nothing.
It has no link for a belt or handle, but very few of the rival products do, and it is shorter than some I've seen.
Pretty disappointing overall. I will use it for storing the switch in an overnight bag but I'll keep the power-cord separate.

It says that its not compatible with the Switch. Why is that??

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Woah. That worries me now. I'm still trying to decide which battery pack to get.

People think they've added it because it doesn't support USB-PD where as their more expensive model does.

It's hard to say though, maybe they know something we don't.

It works FINE. I have that. they put that because they are advertising the PD model for the switch, which is more expensive and charges faster. This is capitalism 101

Top Bottom