• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Switch travel case solution (if any)?

Consensus seams to be that it's quite flimsy and doesn't add a ton of protection, is that not the case for you? Either way it's sold out everywhere.

This one looks great, but a release date of the end of April? Do these companies not realise they'll be turning up too late for the party?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MYCRSG3/

It's a case. Why woul it not add a lot of protection? ^^ I haven't used a ton of times or sth., but for what it should do it works imo. You can put the Switch including Joycons in there, there is room for 5 extra gamecards and it can be used as a kickstand, too.

Maybe people don't like that it's not made out of some kind of hard plastic on the outside?

(Just btw. the Switch is not secured in it at all, but it's not moving around even if you turn the case around)

Zafir

So just to confirm, in the UK it looks like there's not a single case that's either readily available or considered fault-free?

Official case: Sold Out & Crappy
Hori tough case: Bit crappy
RDS cases: Completely unavailable
Numerous Amazon knock-offs: Crappy

What a load of Nintendongs.

The Mario PDP one was still available from GAME last I checked.

jacobeid

Banned
Hey guys, I'm going to be sending my official PDP case back to Amazon unless anyone here is still looking for one and can't find one. Shoot me a PM if you want it or else it's headed back to Amazon.

Edit: sorry if this post isn't kosher for the thread. Just trying to help out a GAFer if they're looking before I simply return it.

So just to confirm, in the UK it looks like there's not a single case that's either readily available or considered fault-free?

Official case: Sold Out & Crappy
Hori tough case: Bit crappy
RDS cases: Completely unavailable
Numerous Amazon knock-offs: Crappy

What a load of Nintendongs.

I've noticed the case selection is a bit poor in the UK right now. It seems like some of the better cases are not out until the end of the month in the UK, for some reason.

I just went with the messenger bag (£24.99) for now, at least it has a basic case included in it and the bag will come in handy trips or taking it to a friends. I can always get one of the better ones later, if I don't like the basic one from the bag.

Burli

Pringo
It's a case. Why woul it not add a lot of protection? ^^ I haven't used a ton of times or sth., but for what it should do it works imo. You can put the Switch including Joycons in there, there is room for 5 extra gamecards and it can be used as a kickstand, too.

Maybe people don't like that it's not made out of some kind of hard plastic on the outside?

(Just btw. the Switch is not secured in it at all, but it's not moving around even if you turn the case around)

Good points, you've swung me.

And just in time I've found the official case for sale on Tesco and grabbed one, still seems to be some left if anyone's after one.

Can always trade up to the RDS one later if this one doesn't do the job.

Found the RDS case for pre-order in the UK on ShopTo if anyone is interested.

Decided I'd go for the slimmer and more immediate option of the official case. I find the plastic game cases and the handle on the RDS case to be a bit unnecessary/bulky.

Seik

Banned
My PDP case hasn't even fucking shipped yet...my travel case solution?

I bring the whole Switch box in my training bag so far, hahaha! It's not practical per se but I always bring that bag with my and the box really isn't big so it does the job while I wait for both the case and screen protector.

Good points, you've swung me.

And just in time I've found the official case for sale on Tesco and grabbed one, still seems to be some left if anyone's after one.

Can always trade up to the RDS one later if this one doesn't do the job.

Found the RDS case for pre-order in the UK on ShopTo if anyone is interested.

Decided I'd go for the slimmer and more immediate option of the official case. I find the plastic game cases and the handle on the RDS case to be a bit unnecessary/bulky.

Curious to read your impressions!

jokkir

What's considered as fault free? I have the one that's in the EB Biogenik Starter Kit and it seems to be fine. Hard-ish case and a little pouch for accessories:

vALMIZ5.jpg

I guess the only issue I have with it is it doesn't come with game holders but I just keep it in that pouch either way.

LiK

I have this, pretty nice. Snug. Good openings. What's best is fits in a jacket pocket, joy cons in a separate pocket. And then the stand. The normal switch stand is fine but don't trust it

can you link me to what that is?

I have this, pretty nice. Snug. Good openings. What's best is fits in a jacket pocket, joy cons in a separate pocket. And then the stand. The normal switch stand is fine but don't trust it

I ended up returning mine because I didn't like the feel of it. Was a little too thick for my taste and I didn't like how the cover portion flips under the console instead of over the top, making it a bit akward to play in handheld. It also didn't work with my dock at least. I know Ozrly made a case like it. Materials look a little better and it's cheaper.

Still probably would have to be taken out of case to dock though and folds under. What I need is that magnetic Japanese simple cover that folds over the top. Basically like the great Nvidia shield tablet cover I have.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So far pretty happy with my the Zelda SE case. Not too bulky, feels like it's constructed decently with solid enough protection and it has more than enough space should I want to carry another set of Joy-Con or get a battery pack.

RDS is coming soon. But I'm thinking I might not use it for trips to work.

Once I apply a screen protector, I may just throw the screen/unit in the club nintendo pouch in one cargo pocket and the strapped joycons in another, maybe in their own pouch.

That way I could always have it on me and ready to play. I would have the RDS for actual trips and stuff.

Hylian7

It won't make it bulletproof or anything, but the official case does the job. It's about as protective as any 3DS or Game Boy case.

FaintDeftone

I have this PDP Zelda branded Switch case:

900x.jpg

It seems alright but I definitely wish I could have tried it out before purchasing. The Switch goes into a mesh pouch, which is soft enough, but I always snag the analog sticks when I'm putting it in and out of the pouch. The case itself has little to no padding, but it does offer a lot of slots for Switch carts. I kinda wish I had one that was a little more protective than this thing but it works for the time being.

Cartho

I'm using the Zelda PDP case from GAME. Seems good so far: solid, space for 12 games / mem cards and a web pocket which can hold joycon straps, earbud headphones etc. Pretty sure I could fit another pair of joycons in there too.

Any carrying case solutions for the more Fashion Souls minded of us? I don't really want to carry around something branded "Hori" or hell even branded Nintendo. Something premium leather, etc. Probably need to look away from "game company" stuff for something like this, but nobody outside of game gear companies seem to be making Switch stuff yet. Unlike say an iPad, where tons of fashion and other companies make cases/bags/etc.

Speaking of iPads: the switch with Joycons seems almost the exact width of an 9.7" iPad, and without Joycon's seems to be the exact width of an iPad mini. Anybody tried using a bag/case designed for those yet? I'm thinking that's the only solution for high-end right now.

Appleman

Any carrying case solutions for the more Fashion Souls minded of us? I don't really want to carry around something branded "Hori" or hell even branded Nintendo. Something premium leather, etc. Probably need to look away from "game company" stuff for something like this, but nobody outside of game gear companies seem to be making Switch stuff yet. Unlike say an iPad, where tons of fashion and other companies make cases/bags/etc.

Speaking of iPads: the switch with Joycons seems almost the exact width of an 9.7" iPad, and without Joycon's seems to be the exact width of an iPad mini. Anybody tried using a bag/case designed for those yet? I'm thinking that's the only solution for high-end right now.

The Waterfield case is about the closest you'll get at this point, could be exactly what you're looking for.

Dineren

Banned
Is the official case different from the one that came with the special edition of Zelda aside from the looks? I thought it was pretty nice.

Vitacat

Waterfield is what you might want, but they look exactly like clutch purses (a plus or minus depending on the individual), especially because of the size of the Switch with Joycons attached.

brad-t

I am very into fashion and I think the Hori tough case is the nicest looking of the bunch. Sure, it has the Switch logo embossed, but it's reasonably subtle and actually looks nice. The case is a really deep black that's honestly what makes it look good lol.

It's very low profile and if you're that fashion-minded you definitely already have another bag to carry the Switch inside of, right? ;) I don't really agree with the negative reviews. The case is not completely tight but this isn't necessary for it to appropriately absorb shock. But it's obviously meant to be carried inside of another bag, and doesn't have space for a charger or other accessories except the wrist straps.

Need to leave for a business trip this evening and haven't been able to snag a proper case yet. I'm most definitely bringing my Switch but I'm trying to figure out the best temporary solution to the case situation. I have one of those official Nintendo 2DS foam type cases and while 100% it won't fit with the joycons attached does anyone know if the Switch itself will fit into that case?

LordofPwn

the Zelda LE case has been working great for me. still considering a pelican case to house everything, or maybe just everything but the dock. right now i just kinda have to carry the pro controller separate.

Gamestop jacked the price of the RDS case up to 25? Glad I have an order in at Amazon for 20.

Everywhere is sold out so they upper their price. I literally cannot find a decent case instore or online. Have a trip next week and REALLY need a case. Anyone seeing anything I can get online?

Minions

I'm very impressed with the quality of my RDS case. I got the smaller one that just holds the gamepad/joycons/gamecarts/microsdcards. I haven't tried to see if I can fit the cables in there in the small pouch.

Need to leave for a business trip this evening and haven't been able to snag a proper case yet. I'm most definitely bringing my Switch but I'm trying to figure out the best temporary solution to the case situation. I have one of those official Nintendo 2DS foam type cases and while 100% it won't fit with the joycons attached does anyone know if the Switch itself will fit into that case?

It is shocking how hard it is to get a case. I have literally gone to or called 17 places today, no luck anywhere. :(

Amneisac

Everywhere is sold out so they upper their price. I literally cannot find a decent case instore or online. Have a trip next week and REALLY need a case. Anyone seeing anything I can get online?

Target had the RDS cases online in stock last night. Not sure if they still do but they ship pretty fast usually.

http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-game-traveler-deluxe-travel-case/-/A-52014888

http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-game-traveler-deluxe-system-case/-/A-52014908

The big one and the small one were in stock at the regular, not marked up price. On my phone though can't really look.

Samaritan

Since PDP doesn't currently offer a plain, unbranded alternative to their Starter Kit case, I decided to go with the Butterfox case.

I love everything about it, save for the second flap for games. I probably won't even own 10 physical Switch games, let alone 20. But that's a very minor gripe for what otherwise looks like a great, discreet case.

Top Bottom