• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What we know so far about the Nintendo NX with sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigBoy

-NX console will release later this year.
-NX handheld will release mid to late 2017.
-They will NOT share the same power. Portable game version will not look as good as console version (obvious).
-They WILL share the same environment or "OS", to make it easier to scale-down games to portable version, or vice versa to console version.
-Some games will be cross-platform, but not all. Don't expect Zelda U/NX to be scalable to the NX portable. Other titles will, such as Pikmin 4, Mario Kart, and the such.
Who are you, and where do you come from?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Here is my crazy idea: The NX is not really a 'console'. It's a beefy controller that also works like a handheld. Think of a smaller WiiU pad. The controller works on PC/PS4/(XBO) this is then combined with a gaming service like EA access.

- Nintendo keeps the handheld market
- You still need to buy hardware to play their games
- They can make silly peripherals specific for their games
- No need to worry about getting the Call of Duties and such
- Third parties have lower costs because they already know the hardware (PC/PS4)
- No need to fight the competition console hardware wise
- Everybody wins

Sorry if anyone already said something like this.

For some reason, this reminds me this gif:
Wii+u_de173f_3711729.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
-They will NOT share the same power. Portable game version will not look as good as console version (obvious).
-They WILL share the same environment or "OS", to make it easier to scale-down games to portable version, or vice versa to console version.
-Some games will be cross-platform, but not all. Don't expect Zelda U/NX to be scalable to the NX portable. Other titles will, such as Pikmin 4, Mario Kart, and the such.

I think the handheld has to be first.

As for the NX itself, is there any credence to the AR rumor? Didn't Nintendo have a patent for a headset that you used while playing on the TV?

If ao, couldn't that theoretically work with other consoles/smartphones like the rumor stated?

I think the handheld has to be first.

As for the NX itself, is there any credence to the AR rumor? Didn't Nintendo have a patent for a headset that you used while playing on the TV?

If ao, couldn't that theoretically work with other consoles/smartphones like the rumor stated?

I dunno, the 3DS seems to have more life in it than the Wii U. It can take another handful of months better. And it's more likely to sell better anyway, so it may not be a good idea to put it out first. It could have a bigger effect on the home consoles sales than vice versa.

jonno394

It's a Nintendo-like solution.
In all seriousness: The same as Activision does for Guitar Hero Live.
Or less. May I ask, why wouldn't Sony/Microsoft want Mario on their console?

May I ask, why would Nintendo want Mario on Sony and Microsoft consoles when they can still sell Millions on their own devices?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
May I ask, why would Nintendo want Mario on Sony and Microsoft consoles when they can still sell Millions on their own devices?

Because of the imaginary multi-million sales that are dreamed by the few around here who want to play Mario but don't want to pay for it. Next step would be to ask for Mario in the PS+ offers.

giphy.gif

Ansatz

I dunno, the 3DS seems to have more life in it than the Wii U. It can take another handful of months better. And it's more likely to sell better anyway, so it may not be a good idea to put it out first. It could have a bigger effect on the home consoles sales than vice versa.

Yeah the handheld is the most attractive part of NX, so launching the console first to get people to buy it and then inevitably the handheld is not a stupid idea but at the same time it's a huge risk. Getting NX handheld up and running is priority number 1, their domestic sales performance and whatever 3rd party support they have left depends on the success of the handheld. I would say the handheld comes first.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Dickens, my source is currently out of office and we have to wait a bit further. I've done my deal however. I only got an automatic reply, so I cannot tell when the chap will get back (hopefully it's during today).

Note that my source is in a timezone where it's currently early morning and the workday hasn't really started yet. Estimated maximum time for any sort of reply that isn't automatic is 18,5 hours.

figuring out a way to let GAF down easy
Please understand I didn't promise anything, and I recommended you to not get excited. ;)

Neoxon

Rösti;193223450 said:
Dickens, my source is currently out of office and we have to wait a bit further. I've done my deal however. I only got an automatic reply, so I cannot tell when the chap will get back (hopefully it's during today).

Note that my source is in a timezone where it's currently early morning and the workday hasn't really started yet. Estimated maximum time for any sort of reply that isn't automatic is 18,5 hours.
So probably not for most of today.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rösti;193223450 said:

So, you allied with the dragon then. I knew it! Traitor!

Let me tell you something now!

No way will Nintendo Mario to Sony or anyone else! If you think you will get a full on Mario encounter on Mobile , think again!

Nintendo has said it will use its Ip's a lot more aggressively this generation, I happen to think there is a lot of NX titles already to go, or will be by time of launch.

Is Rosti a full on insider or just gets a bit informed like me?

You would not believe the secrecy clouding this project!

Its great though as Nntendo have all the gaming world on the edge waiting for news.

There has not been this excitement since release of ps3! FOR ME ANYWAY.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;193223450 said:
Dickens, my source is currently out of office..
Never to be heard from again. A body will be found in an unspecified river.

jeffers

My immediate thought was stating an out of office reply was enough evidence to catch him/her.. Too many crime dramas recently.

kirby_fox

Banned
Yeah the handheld is the most attractive part of NX, so launching the console first to get people to buy it and then inevitably the handheld is not a stupid idea but at the same time it's a huge risk. Getting NX handheld up and running is priority number 1, their domestic sales performance and whatever 3rd party support they have left depends on the success of the handheld. I would say the handheld comes first.

If NX launches this year, I expect it will be one of two things: 1) Both a handheld and console that launches at the same time. This is so they can create a system in which gaming is done across both systems, and you have the ability to scale up and down. You don't want to launch your system with a hook, without its hook. 2) Nothing close to what we think it is, and truly a 3rd platform. This would imply that 3DS/Wii U support will continue into 2017.

However, I think Nintendo's initial timeline is not going to hold without some serious issues or a giant overhaul to how fast the company moves into/out of projects. They don't seem to move very quickly on these things, and 3rd party support has dried up without much else going on. They can't make promises to 3rd parties when the Wii U didn't meet sales expectations either-- so I'm curious how they plan to get others on board with a new system quickly.

AmyS

I want more rumors / info on the Supplemental Computing Device. That's the most exciting thing potentially related to NX.

SCDs could become cheaper over time. They wouldn't be packed in with a controller/ screen or anything but a cable to link to the NX console.

Here's a (bad?) analogy with high-end Silicon Graphics workstations.
uWkvvBa.jpg
dgciGTm.jpg

cOMR8cQ.jpg
jWzjHHD.png

latest

ducktape included!

Roo

Other than the release dates, all of this sounds like common sense to me.
I'd say it'd wiser to release the handheld first as it is their strongest market by far.

And of course each NX device will have its own exclusives. There would be literally no incentive to get both if it weren't the case. I highly doubt Nintendo wants that.
Pokémon for starters will be one.

Hermii

Rosti we are not that impatient that we want to risk someone being fired for an early scoop. Especially when its likely official info is coming soon anyway. Dont feel any pressure.

sinxtanx

Rösti;193223450 said:
Please understand I didn't promise anything, and I recommended you to not get excited. ;)

Oh, I know. My comment was directed at the common scenario where hype-GAF gets misled, like:

Rösti: thing on monday
reason-GAF: ok
IGN: HUGE NX NEWS COMING MONDAY
hype-GAF: THE PROMISED LAND IS APPROACHING
reason-GAF: no it isn't
hype-GAF: YES IT IS
Rösti: no it isn't
hype-GAF: FUCKING CONFIRMED

luckily it hasn't happened for this (yet)

Banned
Rösti;193223450 said:

The twist is I am Rösti's source.

Have we discussed LPDDR4 yet? That's something that might be suitable for the NX handheld as well as the NX console (if they are going the very small/low power route, as I believe they are). These modules from Samsung are faster than the desktop variety currently available. Is the pricing prohibitively expensive?

I've been pondering what type of technologies they might decide on. My tentative conclusions are that they could go with a 14nm Soc or HBM, but not both. As people have mentioned, if they go with 14nm, it will likely be a small chip. AMD showed off a Polaris GPU and it was estimated at ~120mm2. Maybe Nintendo could squeeze a bit more surface area on there, but not much. The other point which may be relevant is how large an area the PHY for HBM requires. If each block of HBM is a 1024-bit interface, I would imagine it would require a large area on the SOC. It's too bad we don't have any die photos, but we do know that all the chips so far w/ HBM have been monsters in size.

I'm gonna go with a 14nm chip w/ 512 GCN ALUs, maybe a combo of 4 A57(or A72 we can only hope) + 4 A53, and the 32 MB pool of eSRAM. External memory would be DDR4 or lpDDR4 (if someone wants to give me some feedback on what I posted above). Thinking more and more that they could ditch the optical drive, although I still don't believe the pricing is right for Gamecards over 8 GB in capacity just yet. Looking at Wii U file sizes, not many games require much more anyway. There will be an increase in digital-only software and more NFC payment methods, especially with their Nintendo Account/ My Nintendo set in place. Look at how they've handled Wii U Digital Deluxe and Club Nintendo. They are pushing digital -- data caps be damned. Third parties support Steam and rely on digital for PC software, so if by chance, Nintendo manages to get their Assassin's Creed and CoD back, it will be a digital release (or a box in the store w/ a download code/NFC card). Also do not forget the possibility of installing games to SD Cards, which they do currently on 3DS. If your internet prohibits such large downloads, maybe you could throw an SD card in the NX handheld and find another location to download your game.

My reasoning for this is that they are going to want a very small box in order to differentiate from Xbox One and PS4. This is how I see them getting there. I'm picturing something like Wii in size, but slimmer.

Neoxon

Can anyone explain then business plan for another hardware launch after the wii u launch?
As you can tell by the OP, we don't know. But if what we're speculating is true, then we should expect a clean break from both the Wii & DS brands. Don't be surprised if the handheld part of the NX Platform is more heavily marketed, with the console part just coming along for the ride (but that's just my thoughts on the matter).

burst

As you can tell by the OP, we don't know. But if what we're speculating is true, then we should expect a clean break from both the Wii & DS brands. Don't be surprised if the handheld part of the NX Platform is more heavily marketed, with the console part just coming along for the ride (but that's just my thoughts on the matter).

So hardware is still a big part of Nintendo plan. In your opinion and the Ops. Ok.

AlStrong

The other point which may be relevant is how large an area the PHY for HBM requires. If each block of HBM is a 1024-bit interface, I would imagine it would require a large area on the SOC. It's too bad we don't have any die photos, but we do know that all the chips so far w/ HBM have been monsters in size.

Fiji die shot (the four interfaces there)
135a.jpg

Thanks, Al! Holy crap, what a chip!
So hardware is still a big part of Nintendo plan. In your opinion and the Ops. Ok.

Well, hardware is confirmed, both by Nintendo and insiders. So we are taking it from there. Amiibo is also confirmed to play a major role.

What also seems to be a huge departure is the use of a virtualized dev environment. Like Android and iOS, software development will be done in a common way, regardless of what's in the box.

Banned
Come to think about it, even the unofficial legit info we got isn't that much.

If I remember correctly we got:

- Shown behind closed doors at E3 2015
- Some Japanese devs have dev kits
- As of November 2015, some major western devs don't have any dev kits
- it's more powerful than the Wii U (Matt didn't specify if he was talking about the handheld or console)
- Matt said the handheld screen resolution is lower than some wanted (720p/1080p) but higher than what people were expecting (480p, same as the gamepad) so we naturally came to the conclusion of 540p because it scales well to 1080p and looks great on small screens (see: vita)
- some devs have said its awesome, to be excited, and it's interesting
- it's been refered as a console by Nintendo employees (could just be a generic term they use for all their gaming form factors)
- DQXI was sort of announced for it and then pulled back by square
- it will absorb the Wii U architecture
- AMD has secured a SoC deal for an unannounced platform in 2016
- Foxconn supposedly has to manufacture 20 million units by July 2016.
- industry leading chips needed to run what was seen running on the dev kit earlier in the year. Could have just been some unoptimized port
- Nintendo learned from the Wii U that they can't skimp on power if they want third party support.

Neoxon

One of the GAF insiders did mention that Nintendo was breaking away from the Wii brand. And if they plan on unifying their console & handheld platforms into one gaming platform with multiple devices, it'd make sense to ditch the DS brand as well. But yes, hardware is still a big part of Nintendo's plan, that's actually confirmed.

Banned
Have we discussed LPDDR4 yet? That's something that might be suitable for the NX handheld as well as the NX console (if they are going the very small/low power route, as I believe they are). These modules from Samsung are faster than the desktop variety currently available. Is the pricing prohibitively expensive?

I've been pondering what type of technologies they might decide on. My tentative conclusions are that they could go with a 14nm Soc or HBM, but not both. As people have mentioned, if they go with 14nm, it will likely be a small chip. AMD showed off a Polaris GPU and it was estimated at ~120mm2. Maybe Nintendo could squeeze a bit more surface area on there, but not much. The other point which may be relevant is how large an area the PHY for HBM requires. If each block of HBM is a 1024-bit interface, I would imagine it would require a large area on the SOC. It's too bad we don't have any die photos, but we do know that all the chips so far w/ HBM have been monsters in size.

I'm gonna go with a 14nm chip w/ 512 GCN ALUs, maybe a combo of 4 A57(or A72 we can only hope) + 4 A53, and the 32 MB pool of eSRAM. External memory would be DDR4 or lpDDR4 (if someone wants to give me some feedback on what I posted above). Thinking more and more that they could ditch the optical drive, although I still don't believe the pricing is right for Gamecards over 8 GB in capacity just yet. Looking at Wii U file sizes, not many games require much more anyway. There will be an increase in digital-only software and more NFC payment methods, especially with their Nintendo Account/ My Nintendo set in place. Look at how they've handled Wii U Digital Deluxe and Club Nintendo. They are pushing digital -- data caps be damned. Third parties support Steam and rely on digital for PC software, so if by chance, Nintendo manages to get their Assassin's Creed and CoD back, it will be a digital release (or a box in the store w/ a download code/NFC card). Also do not forget the possibility of installing games to SD Cards, which they do currently on 3DS. If your internet prohibits such large downloads, maybe you could throw an SD card in the NX handheld and find another location to download your game.

My reasoning for this is that they are going to want a very small box in order to differentiate from Xbox One and PS4. This is how I see them getting there. I'm picturing something like Wii in size, but slimmer.
I hope they go 14nm and get ddr4. Lower power draw and small form factor are Nintendo's modus operandi. But they usually use a process node that's been out for a couple years.

Hermii

Come to think about it, even the unofficial legit info we got isn't that much.

If I remember correctly we got:

- Shown behind closed doors at E3 2015
- Some Japanese devs have dev kits
- As of November 2015, some major western devs don't have any dev kits
- it's more powerful than the Wii U (Matt didn't specify if he was talking about the handheld or console)
- Matt said the handheld screen resolution is lower than some wanted (720p/1080p) but higher than what people were expecting (480p, same as the gamepad) so we naturally came to the conclusion of 540p because it scales well to 1080p and looks great on small screens (see: vita)
- some devs have said its awesome, to be excited, and it's interesting
- it's been refered as a console by Nintendo employees (could just be a generic term they use for all their gaming form factors)
- DQXI was sort of announced for it and then pulled back by square
- it will absorb the Wii U architecture
- AMD has secured a SoC deal for an unannounced platform in 2016
- Foxconn supposedly has to manufacture 20 million units by July 2016.
- industry leading chips needed to run what was seen running on the dev kit earlier in the year. Could have just been some unoptimized port
- Nintendo learned from the Wii U that they can't skimp on power if they want third party support.

I dont know why people were wondering about that. even the Wii is more powerful than the gamecube (probably by the least amount in console history, but still) , and the Wii U isn't exactly a high bar to beat. Thats like confirmation that the sky is blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom