• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

miksar

Everyone who wants to skip 3DS: wouldn't you regret it if you said the same about DS in early 2005? Back then the library was arguably even worse (just think about it, Super Mario 64 with D-pad versus the noticeably improved OoT). PSP was set to completely destroy it and look what happened. You may say that Nintendo is stubborn and arrogant but they are also quick to make changes to their strategy quickly and turn the situation around. In 2004 they released a poorly looking dual screen handheld that didn't make sense to anyone. In 2006 they redesigned it and made it the most successful gaming device of all time. In 2011 they released its successor with a few questionable design decisions. In 2012-13 they ... ?

Sipowicz

Banned
the DS struggled initially because it was prototypical in design, quirky, new and developers were standing behind it

the 3DS could not have started off in a stronger position. in many ways it is the PS3 of handhelds, and like the PS3 things aren't going to get that much better

yurinka

ViolentP said:
No doubt. Still not a guarantee though.
Name a publisher that sold more games in a single portable device than Mario+Pokemon in a Nintendo handheld.

If there are 4 or 5 then maybe you are right.

Zing

Banned
redlemon said:
It been out for about 5 months. A new system needs time for quality titles.

This isn't 1986. No one should need a year after release to get good games. The 3DS so far is similar to the GameCube launch. Pilotwings??? Nintendo is literally relying on the Ocarnia of Time remake to keep this system afloat. I guarantee that no parents are dropping $250 so their kids can play Nintendcats and Zoomania 3D.

StevieP

Banned
You guys really, honestly do have goldfish memory. In regards to all (ALL) system launches. Wii was the anomoly here, people - an exception, not the rule. You'd expect more from a dedicated gaming forum.

ViolentP

yurinka said:
Name a publisher that sold more games in a single portable device than Mario+Pokemon in a Nintendo handhed.

If there are 4 or 5 then maybe you are right.

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm asking is how much longer are they expecting that to work? Do you genuinely feel this will always be the case?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Zing said:
This isn't 1986.
Common sense works regardless of year. It's never going to be common for a third party developer to invest AAA multimillions for a new platform, ie one without any install base, when games tend to have such short shelf lives. As for Nintendo, they're developing games, we know of them, they happened to take longer than the launch window is all. Of course there could also be some truth in that they delayed some titles to aid third parties who failed to capitalise on it. Oh well. Shit happens.
ViolentP said:
That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm asking is how much longer are they expecting that to work? Do you genuinely feel this will always be the case?
As long as people enjoy great, fresh games regardless of IP I would imagine. Or until Nintendo's masterminds die and the company doesn't find people fitting to replace them.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
3DS needs a great Mario Kart.

A messaging system, ability to record videos, other apps & games will surely help, to some extent.

But a strong Mario Kart is all it really needs, in a nice packaged bundle for Christmas.

System is great BTW, games are too expensive, but so they are on consoles.

Nintendo has many things to fix, as expressed by some posters on this thread. Still, their upcoming lineup appeals to me. I just wish they would change their strategy regarding the pace of digital releases.

miksar

Zing said:
This isn't 1986. No one should need a year after release to get good games.
Why do you assume that games should be released faster in 2011? What consoles in the last three generations had launch games as revolutionary as Super Mario 64 and Halo: Combat Evolved?

ViolentP said:
No doubt. Still not a guarantee though.

Not a guarantee of the system matching the success of the DS, not that it would be reasonable to expect that anyway. Definitely a guarantee of it not being a failure overall when all is said and done.

PKrockin

Yeah, the 3DS has a horrible library, I mean by this time in the DS's life we had Mario 64DS and uh... um... Yoshi's Touch and Go...?

Duxxy3

miksar said:
Everyone who wants to skip 3DS: wouldn't you regret it if you said the same about DS in early 2005? Back then the library was arguably even worse (just think about it, Super Mario 64 with D-pad versus the noticeably improved OoT). PSP was set to completely destroy it and look what happened. You may say that Nintendo is stubborn and arrogant but they are also quick to make changes to their strategy quickly and turn the situation around. In 2004 they released a poorly looking dual screen handheld that didn't make sense to anyone. In 2006 they redesigned it and made it the most successful gaming device of all time. In 2011 they released its successor with a few questionable design decisions. In 2012-13 they ... ?

The DS was $150 at launch, $130 for the DS lite. That system for that price at that time was a terrific value.

ViolentP

Alextended said:
As long as people enjoy great, fresh games regardless of IP I would imagine. Or until Nintendo's masterminds die and the company doesn't find people fitting to replace them.

Holy Order Sol said:
Not a guarantee of the system matching the success of the DS, not that it would be reasonable to expect that anyway. Definitely a guarantee of it not being a failure overall when all is said and done.

Personally, I think Nintendo did exceptionally well with the DS and the Wii not because of an abundance of top tier titles (though many are frothing to disagree, I'm sure), but because they opened the floodgates to an otherwise untouched demographic. To me, that's why their numbers were so high. Now that they are established in their new market, they are susceptible to regular trial of keeping an insatiable market content as Sony and Microsoft have been doing for so long now.

I'm just curious to see if those new consumers are as able of product loyalty as the long-term fans or if they're simply interested in the next, new accessible item.

yurinka

ViolentP said:
I think they will do it ok, like PS3 is doing it now. Because they have:

-Mario.
-Pokemon.
-Glassless 3D.
-Some 3rd party exclusives with great sales.

I think with 3DS they will loose a big portion of the DS marketshare because:

-Now everyone has the touchscreen, that was their main DS sellpoint for the casual market in terms of unique controls.
-Mobile phones will be getting glasless 3D starting this year, that is the only 3DS sellpoint (in addition of Mario + Pokemon).
-Small casual touch based games will be way cheaper in mobile phone games and Vita.
-Lacks a lot of digital services available in the other devices (not gaming related, I'm talking about web browser, mail, social networks, GPS,etc).
-Vita improved all the main PSP failures.
-3DS is the one with worst value for its price.
-Vita console-like games like 3DS, but are current gen games. Mobile phones have touchscreen casual games, but they cost 0.99$, a price that Nintendo can't afford.

neptunes

Had more fun with my DS in the first year than I care to remember.

I remember playing Phoenix Wright, Meteos, and Kirby Canvas Curse (all of whch were released in the first couple of months) and being satisfied with my purchase.

ViolentP

yurinka said:
I think they will do it ok, like PS3 is doing it now. Because they have:

-Mario.
-Pokemon.
-Glassless 3D.
-Some 3rd party exclusives with great sales.

I think they will loose a big portion of the DS marketshare because:

-Now everyone has the touchscreen, that was their main DS sellpoint for the casual market in terms of unique controls.
-Mobile phones will be getting glasless 3D starting this year, that is the only 3DS sellpoint (in addition of Mario + Pokemon).
-Small casual touch based games will be way cheaper in mobile phone games and Vita.
-Lacks a lot of digital services available in the other devices (not gaming related, I'm talking about web browser, mail, social networks, GPS,etc).
-Vita improved all the main PSP failures.
-3DS is the one with worst value for its price.

Don't get me wrong, I think they will be doing well this round as well. They would have to do something monumentally ridiculous to blow that momentum. But with anything that has been running strong for a long period of time, I ask myself how much longer.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
miksar said:
Why do you assume that games should be released faster in 2011? What consoles in the last three generations had launch games as revolutionary as Super Mario 64 and Halo: Combat Evolved?

Yes, because there has been no progress in the industry in the last 25 years >.>

yurinka

miksar said:
Mario 64 was the first decent 3D platformer (not the first), but why Halo was revolutionary?

Carlisle

PKrockin said:
Yeah, the 3DS has a horrible library, I mean by this time in the DS's life we had Mario 64DS and uh... um... Yoshi's Touch and Go...?
Yup. And it was, from what I recall, 6 months before the next worthwhile game came out... and I can't quite remember what it was... I think it was Trauma Center.

Anyway, for the first 6 months of DS all I had to keep me from buyer's remorse was a N64 port and the Metroid Prime demo. With 3DS I've got a infinitely more by comparison, and only 4 months in.

DS had the worst launch of any system I've bought and it went on to be arguably the greatest handheld ever made. Why all the poo-pooing when its successor starts out on a much stronger foot? Did they expect it to launch with 10 flawless system-selling killer apps and 20 mil in sales right out the gate?

FoxSpirit

commish said:
Handheld gamers are moving towards the iOS world. Not a surprise.

Have a Galaxy S-II. Got Zenonia. Long for a d-pad. Won't get a racing game.
http://icontrolpad.com/

Plus a device with a 5" OLED like the Vita is simply a bit too large, my 4.3" one is already borderline huge. Very nice looking, but not really compact anymore. Oh, and Sony is doing Android crossover market with PSuite.

Actually, I would even have gotten the 3DS despite the currently lackluster library but the region lock just turned me away. Ouendan says "Hi" .

I'm not too concerned with the speculation that 3DS is or is turning into a failure.

It's a great piece of kit, and I personally think having the perception of 3D depth adds an amazing layer to a game's visuals.

Nintendo are in a fine position despite the 3DS being relatively costly in comparison to their older hardware. They need to phase out the DS, ramp up the marketing for the 3DS and keep delivering the games.

The rest will sort itself out.

Tobor

miksar said:
There were no viable alternatives in 2004/2005. Believe me I know, I explored what little there was. Palm OS and Pocket PC were floundering, the Tapwave Zodiac was still born, and so the only choice was to ride out the droughts for the DS and PSP.

Today, there are incredible alternatives available. There's no need to deal with droughts. If a must have game comes out, i'll re-examine. As of now, there's no reason to subject myself to a dry system.

ViolentP

yurinka said:
Mario 64 was the first decent 3D platformer (not the first), but why Halo was revolutionary?

I am the farthest thing from a Halo fan but I give credit to it's accomplishment. Basically, exposing console gamers to the world of deathmatching.

Duxxy3

FoxSpirit said:
Plus a device with a 5" OLED like the Vita is simply a bit too large, my 4.3" one is already borderline huge. Very nice looking, but not really compact anymore. Oh, and Sony is doing Android crossover market with PSuite.

If you see a comparison shot of the PSP and the PS Vita you'll see the size is nearly the same.

neptunes

yurinka said:
See why most modern console FPSes mimic halo in terms of matchmaking, AI, and level design.

Tenck

sk3tch said:
The 3DS is on life support. I have been trying to sell mine for weeks. There are brand new units regularly selling for around $215 on eBay so it's hard to compete out there. Just a lot of folks jumping ship due to the lack of games. I mean, they're not even supporting their downloadable eShop very well. Just release Virtual Console games...it's all I ask, dammit!

Too expensive for what it is. Kids can't afford it. Parents don't want to buy it. Especially with the DS at $99.

Exactly. Mario isn't going to save a $250 handheld. Maybe if they cut the price.

When have kids really bought a handheld without their parent's money?

miksar

Duxxy3 said:
The DS was $150 at launch, $130 for the DS lite. That system for that price at that time was a terrific value.
Gaming consoles with no games have no value. 3DS could cost $200 and it would probably still struggle with sales slightly better because there is no key software released yet.

commish

Carlisle said:
Yup. And it was, from what I recall, 6 months before the next worthwhile game came out... and I can't quite remember what it was... I think it was Trauma Center.

Anyway, for the first 6 months of DS all I had to keep me from buyer's remorse was a N64 port and the Metroid Prime demo. With 3DS I've got a infinitely more by comparison, and only 4 months in.

DS had the worst launch of any system I've bought and it went on to be arguably the greatest handheld ever made. Why all the poo-pooing when its successor starts out on a much stronger foot? Did they expect it to launch with 10 flawless system-selling killer apps and 20 mil in sales right out the gate?

Yes, because your options for handheld were a DS or a ...?

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
FoxSpirit said:
Have a Galaxy S-II. Got Zenonia. Long for a d-pad. Won't get a racing game.
http://icontrolpad.com/

Actually, I would even have gotten the 3DS despite the currently lackluster library but the region lock just turned me away. Ouendan says "Hi" .

Does this work with the Galaxy S2?

commish

ViolentP said:
I am the farthest thing from a Halo fan but I give credit to it's accomplishment. Basically, exposing console gamers to the world of deathmatching.

Yeah, I remember going online and playing Halo for hours at launch.

Duxxy3

miksar said:
Gaming consoles with no games have no value. 3DS could cost $200 and it would probably still struggle with sales slightly better because there is no key software released yet.

I do agree with this. Even if nintendo dropped the price of the system to $199 there wouldn't be a big boost in sales.

Futureman

Someone make that DS vs 3DS first year comparision thread, or at least post it in here.

I'd argue the only thing they've really done wrong so far is the price.

Carlisle

commish said:
Yes, because your options for handheld were a DS or a ...?
The ridiculously superior (at the time) GBA. But I get your point, no iOS, no Android, etc. It is a much different market out there now with a lot more options.

But in 2005 and later, even when more impressive options appeared, the DS still soared well beyond them on the games that eventually came and the success it eventually saw. For anyone to say the 3DS is dead and Nintendo is doomed 4 months after launch is insanely short-sighted.

mr_chun

Futureman said:
Someone make that DS vs 3DS first year comparision thread, or at least post it in here.

I'd argue the only thing they've really done wrong so far is the price.
How about "fixing" the online infrastructure? I'd say that they did that very wrong.

Drop the price under $200 and give me some JRPGs. That'll get me interested enough to purchase one, until then I'm going to sticks with iOS games for my handheld fix.

Also, are 3DS games still $40 new? That's wayyyy too much. Those suckers need to be coming out at $30.

Thoraxes

I think people are calling doomsday for Nintendo when we really haven't seen anything yet that will make the system sell. Though, keep in mind it's selling near what the DS Phatty sold at launch.

Straight up, Nintendo launched the system with a lack of games, and they launched it during a season which has almost no buyers in it.

I honestly expect it to do 100% better during the holiday season once that happens. They'll have some more games out, the October press summit should give us a glimpse into 2012 games, 4 more first-party Nintendo titles will be out by then (not to mention ToA and RE:Rev), and that advertising campaign will go into full force.

As much as I love my 3DS and Ocarina right now, I think they did launch the system too soon. Not because the system isn't ready: it's a nice piece of hardware, is nice and sleek, and I have no problems holding it to see the 3D; it's because they launched it during a bad market time with few games. I honestly expect everything to turn around once the holiday season happens.

Let's not count someone out during a meager portion of their lifecycle.

miksar

Tobor said:
There were no viable alternatives in 2004/2005. Believe me I know, I explored what little there was. Palm OS and Pocket PC were floundering, the Tapwave Zodiac was still born, and so the only choice was to ride out the droughts for the DS and PSP.

Today, there are incredible alternatives available. There's no need to deal with droughts. If a must have game comes out, i'll re-examine. As of now, there's no reason to subject myself to a dry system.
People buy hardware based on the uniqueness of the software, not the uniqueness of the hardware itself. If there were no good games released on DS everyone would just be content with GBA. 3DS's success depends on Nintendo's ability to release something as groundbreaking as Nintendogs/Brain Age. If they are able to do it once again, iOS popularity won't matter and 3DS will be extremely successful.

Reuenthal

Banned
I was not a member in 2005 here, but this forum seems pretty overtly negative in general and not only in regards to 3DS. Though especially in that case. Does anyone recall reactions to the DS first year back then in this forum or even has a link to such threads?

Duxxy3

miksar said:
People buy hardware based on the uniqueness of the software, not the uniqueness of the hardware itself. If there were no good games released on DS everyone would just be content with GBA. 3DS's success depends on Nintendo's ability to release something as groundbreaking as Nintendogs/Brain Age. If they are able to do it once again, iOS popularity won't matter and 3DS will be extremely successful.

Is there anything on the current release lists that screams groundbreaking to you? Something entirely unique. I see some solid releases but nothing in the same vein as the titles you mentioned.

Thoraxes

miksar said:
Have you ever seen the NA DS Launch? I bought Feel the Magic, The Urbz, and Super Mario 64 :lol

The 3DS launch is much better than that launch, but it's still not enough for some.

Top Bottom