• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

bumpkin

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Hold your horses pilgrim, Rome wasn't built in a day. If you were to judge the PS2 on its first year it would have been labelled a rubbish platform, but then the second generation titles hit like tidal wave and that abysmal start was all swept under the rug of history along with the DS's slow start etc. etc.
This. While I don't think the 3DS has the potential to get legs like the PS2 did, I'll agree that the PS2 had a pretty low-key first year. I think we've yet to see the 3DS' peak.

Cygnus X-1

Reuenthal said:
I was not a member in 2005 here, but this forum seems pretty overtly negative in general and not only in regards to 3DS. Though especially in that case. Does anyone recall reactions to the DS first year back then in this forum or even has a link to such threads?

I was there at that time. Shortly: Nintendo failed with the Gamecube and survived only thanks to its handheld stronghold. Since the ability of Nintendo to make a successful home system was completely excluded, PSP announce was taken as the end of Nintendo making hardware.

Outside hardcore Nintendo's fans, the overwhelming majority of gamers predicted that PSP would have pulverized the DS.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
bumpkin said:
This. While I don't think the 3DS has the potential to get legs like the PS2 did, I'll agree that the PS2 had a pretty low-key first year. I think we've yet to see the 3DS' peak.

You really can't compare the 3DS to the PS2. For one, the PS2 was used by many, many folks as their first DVD drive, and that alone drove sales. Second, PS2 had Tekken Tag. Third, again, the competition wasn't the same and the PlayStation brand was the strongest in the industry.

Reuenthal said:
I was not a member in 2005 here, but this forum seems pretty overtly negative in general and not only in regards to 3DS. Though especially in that case. Does anyone recall reactions to the DS first year back then in this forum or even has a link to such threads?
Not necessarily the best example, but just heading to Gaming Forum page 4000 and going back a few at a time until finding something a bit similar, here's Nintendo DS upcoming games -- [US] from January 2005. Nobody be an idiot and bump it, now.

miksar

Duxxy3 said:
Is there anything on the current release lists that screams groundbreaking to you? Something entirely unique. I see some solid releases but nothing in the same vein as the titles you mentioned.
That's the most interesting thing about 3DS. As you've mentioned correctly, DS launched at $150 price point that is considered mass market. 3DS launched at the premium $250 price point. I think that Nintendo's idea is to test 3DS on early adopters (mostly Nintendo fans), release more core-friendly games for now and then in a year or two release a new revised version of the handheld with improved battery life and improved naked-eye 3D for about $150-200.

I remember reading Miyamoto's interview not a long time ago where he mentioned that they were experimenting with game concepts for 3DS that would utilize 3D in new ways (something about ghosts). Nintendogs 3DS mediocre performance showed that casual games don't sell on a $250 handheld, so there's no reason to release groundbreaking casual games right now as no one will buy it. Nintendo is very secretive and if you don't see anything groundbreaking in release calendars, it doesn't mean that it is not in development. There's a high possibility that they'll announce something like that at E3 2012 and release it holiday 2012.

Eteric Rice

If I were them, I'd wait for Mario Kart 3D, and drop the 3DS price to $199.

$250 is just to expensive for a handheld like the 3DS.

Reuenthal

Banned
commish said:
You really can't compare the 3DS to the PS2. For one, the PS2 was used by many, many folks as their first DVD drive, and that alone drove sales. Second, PS2 had Tekken Tag. Third, again, the competition wasn't the same and the PlayStation brand was the strongest in the industry.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I was there at that time. Shortly: Nintendo failed with the Gamecube and survived only thanks to its handheld stronghold. Since the ability of Nintendo to make a successful home system was completely excluded, PSP announce was taken as the end of Nintendo making hardware.

Outside hardcore Nintendo's fans, the overwhelming majority of gamers predicted that PSP would have pulverized the DS.

Thanks. So it seems very negative expectations back then which were proven incorrect with DS success. It does put some of the overtly negative current reactions into perspective. Although the 3Ds does not deserve an overtly positive reaction either as price, hardware issues are problems, although not such to bring any kind of doom.

Cygnus X-1

Eteric Rice said:
If I were them, I'd wait for Mario Kart 3D, and drop the 3DS price to $199.

$250 is just to expensive for a handheld like the 3DS.

I would never drop the price before Vita comes out. In the meantime, I would wait if all other possibilities can work or not.

mjc

There's nothing wrong with the 3DS. It'll be fun to read this thread next spring after the next wave of software hits.

wazoo

MCXC Pioneer said:
Drop the price under $200 and give me some JRPGs. That'll get me interested enough to purchase one, until then I'm going to sticks with iOS games for my handheld fix.

JPRG in the first year of a console, when did it happened before ?? The DS got its first RPG way later, this is typically the late coming games.

Also, are 3DS games still $40 new? That's wayyyy too much. Those suckers need to be coming out at $30.

Do you expect them to be cheaper than the DS games ?? Here, in Europe, they are the same price as the DS games, that is already good if you ask for ps2/Wii level games.

People here are drama queen. I expect the Vita with its power requirement to suffer an even bigger lack of games in its first year or a big wave of ports like the PSP. Handheld companies are in now way prepared to handle GC/Wii level of teams, that is no surprise that some games are cancelled when publishers see that they have to pay as much as on the home consoles and not being allowed to ask for higher price (and also a small userbase).

Gravijah

mjc said:
There's nothing wrong with the 3DS. It'll be fun to read this thread next spring after the next wave of software hits.

Tell that to the early adopters who get scratches.

/BITTER TEARS

Wolfe

Gravijah said:
Tell that to the early adopters who get scratches.

/BITTER TEARS

Yeah I really don't understand that design decision, or how it got past R&D. Did no one really think to ask "Hey this is going to be in a lot of pockets, lets test that out!"

FoxSpirit

Duxxy3 said:
If you see a comparison shot of the PSP and the PS Vita you'll see the size is nearly the same.

I was refering to cell phones. I feel a portable dedicated gaming device can simply be a bit larger than a smartphone.

ramine said:
Does this work with the Galaxy S2?

Yeah, besides the sound loop not working and restaring after menus. So only play with sound off. Some for Z2. I heard Z3 doesn't have that problem.
Plus the missing d-pad means they had to make it play differently from the regular top-down adventure since you simply can't really maneuver fast and with accuracy.

Still a nice game but I prefer the ones which actually work properly with the touch interface like Nano Panda , Toki Tori or Pinball Deluxe (which has menu graphics issues on SGS-2 but hey, welcome to PC gaming).

Kerrby

Banned
Not even Zelda could save the 3DS.

Just give me Luigis Mansion 2 and I'll be content even if the system is dead next year.

Socreges

Banned
If the next Pikmin is announced for the 3DS, I'll probably buy the system instantly. For me, it's all about key Nintendo software. Mario 3DS could be enough on its own. Add to that a probable Advance Wars and Fire Emblem.

Tagg9

Socreges said:
If the next Pikmin is announced for the 3DS, I'll probably buy the system instantly. For me, it's all about key Nintendo software. Mario 3DS could be enough on its own. Add to that a probable Advance Wars and Fire Emblem.
We already know that the next Pikmin is coming for WiiU.

McNum

PKrockin said:
What's this about scratches? On the camera lenses?
The edges of the bottom screen touch the top screen leaving a visible line of smudge on it. Over time, this can become a permanent scratch instead.

PKrockin

McNum said:
The edges of the bottom screen touch the top screen leaving a visible line of smudge on it. Over time, this can become a permanent scratch instead.

Oh, it can? I've had those smudges a few times but I didn't think it could become a scratch.

Platy

Kerrby said:
Not even Zelda could save the 3DS.

Just give me Luigis Mansion 2 and I'll be content even if the system is dead next year.

How about that yellow mice ?

Edit :
Will be a sad day when true pokemon games can't save a portable

zlatko

Banned
I'd like to see more JRPG developers give the system love. Whether I buy a Vita or 3DS first will probably come down to who can get 3+ JRPGs I am interested in first.

3DS seems like the perfect place to bring a game like:

Breath of Fire 6
Suikoden 6
New Mana game
Wild Arms

Vita also could work for any of the titles mentioned, but then I imagine a much bigger budget and development cycle if they want to make use of the hardware.

Gravijah

zlatko said:
I'd like to see more JRPG developers give the system love. Whether I buy a Vita or 3DS first will probably come down to who can get 3+ JRPGs I am interested in first.

Breath of Fire 6
Suikoden 6
New Mana game
Wild Arms

Vita also could work for any of the titles mentioned, but then I imagine a much bigger budget and development cycle if they want to make use of the hardware.

Why would you even want a new Mana game at this point? :(

Takao

Banned
zlatko said:

Breath of Fire 6
Suikoden 6
New Mana game
Wild Arms

Sony owns this IP, it'll never be on the 3DS, lol.

Reuenthal said:
I agree, especially towards anything Nintendo does or doesn't do. I just joined this forum although i've been an avid reader since 2003 i think. I'm here to (in my own humble way) cast off some of the negativity and dispel the misinformation directed towards my favourite videogame company. I know this will always be a war already lost on GaF, but i love to fight.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It has no system sellers and it's not offering anything very original worth forking over $250 for. If Nintendo can fix that they'll be set but they need something to go along with the Mario Kart and Pokemon, they need a new Wii Sports or Brain Training and they don't seem to have that for the 3DS.

BurntPork

Banned
jj984jj said:
It has no system sellers and it's not offering anything very original worth forking over $250 for. If Nintendo can fix that they'll be set but they need something to go along with the Mario Kart and Pokemon, they need a new Wii Sports or Brain Training and they don't seem to have that for the 3DS.
You know they need? They need to give a ton of money to Game Freak to fund expansion and a new core IP for handhelds. (Yes, I know Nintendo doesn't own them.)

Oh, and bring back Advance Wars. Now.

I've been extremely negative about the 3DS's software line-up and launch. I think the launch has been badly botched. As has the eShop. I mean, really they should be releasing a handful of great VC titles a week until the software line-up can hold up at retail.

All that said, as Fall approaches, I'm quite looking forward to Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Mario 3DS, the latter of which is my most anticipated of the year.

liger05

I rinsed ridge racer, finished Zelda, played plenty street fighter and am looking forward to the major releases. The eshop is a letdown. Not enough games and it should just be like the wii vc. Need more western 3rd party support.

Coolwhip

Banned
If the 3DS succeeds I will be surprised. Compared to the DS times have changed. *insert smartphone arguement here* On top of that I personally think the 3DS looks like a cheap toy (held one in a store), but is priced like a gadget.

Chopper

JoshuaJSlone said:
Not necessarily the best example, but just heading to Gaming Forum page 4000 and going back a few at a time until finding something a bit similar, here's Nintendo DS upcoming games -- [US] from January 2005. Nobody be an idiot and bump it, now.
That list makes me feel seriously nostalgic.

Pac Pix <3

Was that Boktai game released as Lunar Knights?

Anyway, on topic, the 3DS will be fine. Release year is slow newsflash. We're just lucky we have all the extra stuff like Streetpass, eShop, Videos etc. to keep us mildly amused between releases. Not to mention the fact that the current line up is not too shabby really, unless you want to buy a new game every week or so. Without resorting to lists, I can think of at least 5 titles worth playing through at least, in as far as they're cool. Also, Link's Awakening.

Early adoptors need not complain, cos there are an assload of DS titles to catch up on. Those on the fence can look forward to some hefty support in the coming months/years. And haters gonna hate.

But yeah, it just came out.

Too many people in this thread are dismissing the DS's first year.

Awesome games I bought for the Nintendo DS within the first year:

Advance Wars DS
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Mario Kart DS
Trace Memory
Castlevania DoS
Kirby Canvas Curse
Lost in Blue
Mario and Luigi
Ouendan (Import)

All games I bought in the first year, all games I very much enjoyed. Yes there was a huge drought in the first half of 2005 and not everyone liked Feel the Magic (I did) at launch, but from E3 2005 on it was clear the DS was going to have a killer line-up, I don't think anyone would argue that going by E3 2005 vs E32011, the DS looked like a much more attractive prospect.

Shinobi and Crush3d have been delayed

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/19/shinobi-and-crush3d-delay3d/

Both of Sega's upcoming 3DS projects have been outfitted with new, later dates, according to a press release issued by Sega's European and American branches today. Griptonite Games' Shinobi update, initially due in September, will now be released on November 15.

Crush3D, also originally to have been released in September, is now due February 21 of next year. This delay announcement confirms a statement given at a GamesIndustry.biz roundtable by Zoe Mode's Paul Mottram, who mentioned that "we had to delay the release of that because of the success of the platform."

AceBandage said:
Games getting delayed a month or two?! THE 3DS IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

I personally don't think it is but it sucks though that a lot of quality software are being delayed because of the performace of the handheld when a lot of owners are just begging for exactly that, Software...

Edit: New pokemon later this year?

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/20/new_pokemon/

As relayed via Sinobi, a blogger who gets the magazine in advance, Ishihara says that, in addition to Pokedex 3D and Super Pokemon Scramble, Pokemon Co. has things in the works that will surprise players at the same level as in the first half of the year.

You may instantly be picturing a new Pokemon title for 3DS, but Ishihara's other comments suggest that DS and 3DS owners alike can look forward to additional support in the future. Ishihara tells Famitsu that Pokemon Co. hopes to continue taking care of DS users, while also showing how far play can be expanded on 3DS.

Sinobi views Ishihara's comments as suggesting that we could be getting some sort of Pokemon title with connectivity between DS and 3DS. Regardless, it does look like there will be more Pokemon gaming this year even after Super Pokemon Scramble hits later this month.

TheNatural

My Member!
$250 is too much for the mass market to put up ridiculous sales, no matter what's in it, I'm sorry. Our economy is in the fucking shitter, unemployment is high, and hell - thanks to politics everything period may come crashing down in a few weeks. Yet Sony and Nintendo want us to plop out, including tax or shipping, around $300 plus for a handheld game system and a game?

Not worth it. It's ridiculous, and I don't care what's in the damn system, Vita is no more of a deal because it looks better. It's still $300 to play A game. Both need a few well placed cold slaps in the face for this kind of pricing. Whatever happened to Nintendo's old mantra of value pricing?

TheNatural said:
$250 is too much for the mass market to put up ridiculous sales, no matter what's in it, I'm sorry. Our economy is in the fucking shitter, unemployment is high, and hell - thanks to politics everything period may come crashing down in a few weeks. Yet Sony and Nintendo want us to plop out, including tax or shipping, around $300 plus for a handheld game system and a game?

Not worth it. It's ridiculous, and I don't care what's in the damn system, Vita is no more of a deal because it looks better. It's still $300 to play A game. Both need a few well placed cold slaps in the face for this kind of pricing. Whatever happened to Nintendo's old mantra of value pricing?

It died when the iPod Touch came out.

Top Bottom