• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character (Video)

Dahbomb

Game is going to sell decent and will probably make its goal of 2 million.

There really isn't much of a story in the DMC anime to draw from outside of some character traits of Dante (sundae). The manga delves deeper into Dante's character. He is in fact a womanizer and has had sexual experiences multiple times but there is a clear emotional undercurrent to his general behavior. He doesn't quite project it on the outside like DmC Dante though, it is much more subtle.

Dante is still very much haunted by the traumatic experience. The manga painted an excellent picture of the ordeal. He didn't really move past it until after DMC1.

Synless

When is this game out anyways? I'm assuming early next year. Has there been any playable PS3 version impressions?

omonimo

Banned
When is this game out anyways? I'm assuming early next year. Has there been any playable PS3 version impressions?

Prepare to see an incredible amount of sh!T in the ps3 version... I don't know a single game of ninja theory at properly 30 fps & without tearing galore... I don't think it's coincidence the lack of ps3 footage...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I won't be surprised and it will most likely be not related to the game actual quality, the power of Capcom loyal fans is weird (SF games with nothing new sell well and even that POS Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City sold insanely well).

TreIII

I'm not as convinced. When even the (yaoi) fangirls aren't exactly pleased by this particular game, it shows that even those who don't necessarily care about 30fps vs. 60fps or top-level gameplay aren't the only ones that don't like the direction this game has gone.

http://thesilentchief.com/2010/07/1...may-cry-4-was-made-to-appeal-to-women-gamers/

Take away that female demographic that helped DMC3 and 4 sell as well as it did, and I'm not sure about this particular game's chances.

Tagg9

Bad storylines are nothing new for video games; I'll reserve my judgement based on the final gameplay. As it is now, I can't wait to beat up whoever plays as him in PSABR.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think it was constructive until all the 'Ninja Theory don't love or respect Devil May Cry' or whatever. Then it just became fanboy ranting.

I liked old dante. He was ridiculous and over the top, and the game did a really good job making you feel like a badass.

I'm not going to play this game until it's well past its bargain bin phase, so I can't pass judgement on the game play, but NTs attitude in dealing with the character and just throwing away his legacy has made me prematurely hate this game.

And looking at Capcom, I'm worried they will never return to old Dante's character or story.

I think it's too early to judge whether Dante's new character is good or bad before the game comes out, but OP's video does a really good job of expressing the problems I have with him.

Finally, the fact that Capcom seems to be doing this because Japanese people can't make good games anymore is just disgusting.

Dahbomb

I'm not as convinced. When even the (yaoi) fangirls aren't exactly pleased by this particular game, it shows that even those who don't necessarily care about 30fps vs. 60fps or top-level gameplay aren't the only ones that don't like the direction this game has gone.

http://thesilentchief.com/2010/07/1...may-cry-4-was-made-to-appeal-to-women-gamers/

Take away that female demographic that helped DMC3 and 4 sell as well as it did, and I'm not sure about this particular game's chances.
While it's true that a lot of female DMC fans aren't particularly hyped for it considering that the character design was a main draw for them... I still think there are some who may actually like the new character designs and the different art style. Some female DMC fans play it for the game play too and maybe they like the new changes.

Plus there is the whole Uncharted/GoW untapped crowd who never really liked the DMC games but are interested in this game because of the radical change in art direction and style. There are new gamers to tap into, DMC is a relatively old franchise now and the last game came almost half a decade ago. Most of the real OG DMC fans are in their mid 20s at least.

I also think the press is a factor as they have been fairly receptive to the game. Most general gamers don't really listen to the hardcore fanbase and would much rather read some press impressions and reviews, which are all likely to be in the "solid" 80-90% range. Most general gamers are also not that critical over framerates, combat options, designs and platforming quality... especially the writing in games.

At the very least the game is looking to be the best NT effort yet and they should at least secure the NT fanbase firmly which is still around a million sales. Add in a not so hardcore DMC fanbase who will buy the game just for the name and you can easily end up with 2 million.

Shadoken

the power of Capcom loyal fans is weird (SF games with nothing new sell well and even that POS Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City sold insanely well).

Ugh .. Cant believe there are still people around who post like this :/ ... Coz clearly UMvC sold billions... and SSF4 was a horrible game with terrible reviews.

Korigama

Finally, the fact that Capcom seems to be doing this because Japanese people can't make good games anymore is just disgusting.
Actually, that's not why they're doing this. They're doing this because Itsuno and the normal DMC team were busy with Dragon's Dogma at the time, and the execs thought going with something like this would broaden appeal and make them more money.

Suairyu

Banned
Within one minute the videomaker is assuming the character went through a drastic personality and writing change. I call bullshit - aside from the visual redesign (where most of the criticism was coming from), there is not a single shred of evidence that a personality and writing change occurred.

Also judging a character from out of context trailer shots. Hah.

Also criticizing an adolescent character for acting immature.

KingFire

Banned
Terrible video.

"Everything about the character is bad..."

"He is not cool..."

Well guess what? The original Dante tried so hard to be cool. Some people hated him just for that, and the majority of players learned to like him over time and became "fans."

I was looking for constructive criticism. That video was just a fanboy crying politely because of the change.

I myself don't like the new Dante simply because I like the old one. People panic when something they like is drastically changed. I did panic when I first saw what they did with Dante in this game, but we should wait and see.

We only have a couple of loose cut scenes that can't be used independently to completely judge a character.

Actually, that's not why they're doing this. They're doing this because Itsuno and the normal DMC team were busy with Dragon's Dogma at the time, and the execs thought going with something like this would broaden appeal and make them more money.
Okay, maybe listing that as the reason was going too far on my part, but the company made it sound like they had no idea how to appeal to western gamers anymore, or that the old DMC games didn't really have any western appeal... The news sort of broke when everyone was just talking about how the industry was doomed. Maybe this collaboration will end up teaching Capcom a few new things, for the better.

Dahbomb, I'll admit I'm a Dante fan girl and hate the new changes . Just in my opinion.

Actually, if Dante ends up not smoking because the establishment is making him do it, it'd be hilarious if he ends up a hippie vegan or something, so they can't poison him with meat. Haha

Mxrz

I didn't even realize the game was out yet. Unless this is all based off a bunch of conceptions based on appearance and the like. Which would be very silly.

Dahbomb

Within one minute the videomaker is assuming the character went through a drastic personality and writing change. I call bullshit - aside from the visual redesign (where most of the criticism was coming from), there is not a single shred of evidence that a personality and writing change occurred.
The evidence was provided, Dante was a regular smoker in the original concept but hasn't even been shown to hold a cig in the new design. The older design also had a more sadistic angle to Dante which is not present in the newer version.

The changes in character were more than just the visuals it was in the actual traits as well. Note also that the traits that were changed were some of the things about new Dante that were almost universally panned.

If people actually believe that NT did not change their Dante based on the backlash than I would have to say that is a very naive notion to have.

Suairyu

Banned
The evidence was provided, Dante was a regular smoker in the original concept but hasn't even been shown to hold a cig in the new design. The older design also had a more sadistic angle to Dante which is not present in the newer version.
The sadistic element - putting out a cig on a monster?

Because that sort of behaviour is still present in everything since.

No, we haven't seen him smoke, but that's hardly evidence that he doesn't smoke anymore, or that there has been a change. We've seen partial elements of the game, is all.

These are not judgements you can make without seeing the whole thing.

I think a more naive thought would be that a game developer like NT has the resources to drastically alter the entire design this late in development.

bangai-o

Banned
That video was just a fanboy crying politely because of the change.

"Okay persons. I am really polite, and I am acting totally mature. Please discount the fact that this ultimately is a fanboy rant, the same kind that you read on those immature gaming message boards."

Good effort and time put into making this video. I am not DMC fan or hater. I'm familiar with the series, but never put a lot of time into the game. I thought the old Dante had the same attitude, maybe with more restrained language.

Most of your points were quite filmsy. There was a lot of assertions based on speculation and not much evidence. It read like a well-prepared rehearsed rant that is unconvincing. The last comments about Ninja Theory sounded like it was taken from bitter poster from an internet message board.

Dante could be a bad character. I don't know, but I found the video to be a bad argument.

your avatar vergil is the only vergil that need exist, that character was awe inspiring in DMC3. blasphemer.

I don't know Dahbomb personally but I remember seeing his previous Vergil avatar all the time in different threads. Made me laugh every single time so it stuck with me. The moment he was announced in MvsC3 I knew he'd change it :lol

iavi

The game isn't even out yet, at all. I can't even begin to see how the thread title can be made in such an absolute manner.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The sadistic element - putting out a cig on a monster?

Because that sort of behaviour is still present in everything since.

No, we haven't seen him smoke, but that's hardly evidence that he doesn't smoke anymore, or that there has been a change. We've seen partial elements of the game, is all.

These are not judgements you can make without seeing the whole thing.

I think a more naive thought would be that a game developer like NT has the resources to drastically alter the entire design this late in development.

Umm, no the game has what 6 months to release and they change those designs well before that. So late in development is factually wrong. Edit: hell has Dahbomb stated that those were made a year ago.

Now the rest of the stuff is fairly opinonated, but you'd be factually wrong to say they haven't change the design, (although that is assuming they're original design was anything like the one shown in the trailer), the rest of the stuff, that would be fairly difficult to judge considering we had all of one a short trailer. Plenty of material determine the majority character traits wouldn't you agree?

WinFonda

You make the assumption that they have changed DmC's Dante over time to make him more like the original Dante (in terms of personality), but I haven't got that feeling at all.

mnemovore

It seemed like ever since Ninja theory got a hold of DMC, they saw it as wish fulfillment first. You can see this from the initial concept art of Dante looking just like to lead developer, to them trying to make Dante seem really cool and a rebel fighting THE MAN. The fun of the original Dante was in Capcom being self-aware. He wasn't just a bad-ass, he was goofy. Ninja theory seem to think that there's nothing wrong with a Mary Sue character. It's kindergarten storycrafting.

sn00zer

It seemed like ever since Ninja theory got a hold of DMC, they saw it as wish fulfillment first. You can see this from the initial concept art of Dante looking just like to lead developer, to them trying to make Dante seem really cool and a rebel fighting THE MAN. The fun of the original Dante was in Capcom being self-aware. Ninja theory seem to think that there's nothing wrong with a Mary Sue character. It's kindergarten storycrafting.

Yep except for the fact that their original designs were rejected by Capcom for being to similar to the original Dante

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You make the assumption that they have changed DmC's Dante over time to make him more like the original Dante (in terms of personality), but I haven't got that feeling at all.

Who knows there's the majority of the game to discover whatever depth if any this character has which we obviously haven't seen so you can't make judgements either way so I don't see why people feel the need to moan he isn't like Dante I don't like him I hate him. Chill out guys, the game isn't even out, you should at leats give it the comone descency to go through a review process of players etc before you rip it apart.

I expect most of the people complaining probably won't play the game anyway, but could you at least wait until the game is out before you start moaning about how I dislike this character just because. You know your being biased with a small amount of information I know this, is it so hard to hold yourself back?

Constructive critism sure but him being a terrible character just because... and he should be exactly like the original dante just because... isn't exactly constructive criticism. The original Dante wasn't an amazing character either, he was just cheerful (for the most part) and people grew to like him, just like people grow to like any video game characters that aren't particularily deep.

I will give the new Dante a chance before writing him off and I have a feeling that the game will be enjoyable. I doubt it will be better than DMC4, but I think it will still be a solid action game.

bon

This game's plot looks so ham-handed. "GLUTTONY IS GOOD," and then he fights a giant news anchor's head. Even the Oddworld games were more subtle.

Top Bottom