• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

I still don't know what the fuck is going on here... Everyone, just STAHP...
Yeah, waking up right now, not sure what's been happening. All I know is

1) supposed resolution diff on codgho between xbone (720) vs ps4 (1080), something to do with esram, memory bandwidth, and shit/not-mature-enough tools on the bone,
2) stongly hinted that this resolution diff will be the case for a good portion of multiplats,
3) ellusive mention of a bunch of other xbone issues, possibly related to OS problems,
4) xbone games embryo'd (lol) till a little bit before launch while ps4 game reviews coming in the next few weeks.

So, sessler leaving, eh? I mean, good riddance, but, not sure what's happened in the last 8 hrs.

Can someone give a summary of what's going on? Read the OP and the last page and I still feel lost.
Yeah, could use one as well. Seems a lot (read: A LOT) of bullshit has been flying around last night... 30fps cod? In game ads? lol, can't quite believe that just yet.

Metfanant

Yeah, waking up right now, not sure what's been happening. All I know is

1) supposed resolution diff on codgho between xbone (720) vs ps4 (1080), something to do with esram, memory bandwidth, and shit/not-mature-enough tools on the bone,
2) stongly hinted that this resolution diff will be the case for a good portion of multiplats,
3) ellusive mention of a bunch of other xbone issues, possibly related to OS problems,
4) xbone games embryo'd (lol) till a little bit before launch while ps4 game reviews coming in the next few weeks.

So, sessler leaving, eh? I mean, good riddance, but, not sure what's happened in the last 8 hrs.

Also add
- BF4: PS4 = 900p Xbone=720p
- framerate issues on BOTH versions of CoD...will be fixed for launch
- Sony's upcoming review event is causing quite the stir at the Sessler residence...ruined Mrs. Sessler's Saturday in fact

Taker34

Banned
Can someone give a summary of what's going on? Read the OP and the last page and I still feel lost.

Something with PS4/Sony (not distributing enough debug units for video reviews?!). But I don't get it either. The problem is no one is talking about "it" and there are several pages of assumptions and an Adam Sessler who is not amused.

Where is FamousMortimer, does he know something or did I miss anything important. Sony seems to be the "problem", right? So he should know something.

gossi

Something with PS4/Sony (not distributing enough debug units for video reviews?!). But I don't get it either. The problem is no one is talking about "it" and there are several pages of assumptions and an Adam Sessler who is not amused.

The reason is subject to a Non-Disclosure Agreement they've signed.

Metfanant

Where is FamousMortimer, does he know something or did I miss anything important. Sony seems to be the "problem", right? So he should know something.
The press is pissed off that the first time they are going to get their hands on retail PS4s and first party games to review said console/games will be at the Sony review event on November 11-12....

Feorax

It's ridiculous. We've had a week of passive-aggressive BS from several outlets, and whenever it's pressed further, the answer is just "NDA."

I don't care if you're pissed off, if you're under an NDA, the professional thing to do is STFU and not drop vague hints to wind others up.

Jhn

Various gaming press personalities are being dramatic about some industry change that they for some reason absolutely will not divulge details about. This change affects reviewing outlets and not end consumers, "so we shouldn't worry".

It is speculated the drama is about how reviewers need to play and review next-gen release window titles in a controlled review environment, ie. they do not get pre-release copies. It remains unclear how exactly would make Sessler contemplate changing jobs unless this would be the new standard, which just seems bizarre.

FranXico

Maybe he's annoyed that Sony didn't provide him a devkit?

I mean, the reason some people are calling him "Drama Queen" now is that he tried to spread FUD about the PS4 a few times already since May.
First, he implied that Sony might be lying about DRM for physical media.
Then, the HDCP debacle, he definitely tried to blow the issue out of proportion.

Various gaming press personalities are being dramatic about some industry change that they for some reason absolutely will not divulge details about. This change affects reviewing outlets and not end consumers, "so we shouldn't worry".

It is speculated the drama is about how reviewers need to play and review next-gen release window titles in a controlled review environment, ie. they do not get pre-release copies. It remains unclear how exactly would make Sessler contemplate changing jobs unless this would be the new standard, which just seems bizarre.

If this becomes the new standards then it is not, in fact freedom of press and exactly what GAF should be fighting against no matter how much Sessler blows it out of proportion their might be some truth here. I'm new to GAF but I've never seen the man go off his rocker this badly.

Chinner

Banned
What happened there if you don't mind me asking?

the ps3 version of skyrim was basically broken as it would often crash, quests wouldn't work and it's frame rate would often drop to single digits. bethesda attempted to hide this by only sending out x360/pc versions of skyrim. no game journalists bothered to question this so the story remained quiet until consumers found out themselves. it was only until outrage from misled consumers that vg journalists started to ask questions, and even then it was a very muted response from them, as they were too lazy or too scared to bite the hand that feeds them.

so yeah, while i'm aware that the guy is playing up to it in that video, he still let down his audience as he was too busy gloating on the internet. it just annoys me that the majority of game journalists take for granted that videogames arnt cheap and they're there to help the consumer get the most out of their money. maybe if they bothered to buy the games they would understand this as opposed to relying on handouts.

RulkezX

The press is pissed off that the first time they are going to get their hands on retail PS4s and first party games to review said console/games will be at the Sony review event on November 11-12....

How can Polygon review AC4 on PS4 on the 5th then ?

Jhn

If this becomes the new standards then it is not, in fact freedom of press and exactly what GAF should be fighting against no matter how much Sessler blows it out of proportion their might be some truth here.

I agree, which is exactly why I think it's so ridiculous that not a single person will be upfront about what the drama is all about. Being passive aggressive on twitter will not solve your perceived problem, but raising awareness about it just might.

I mean, the reason some people are calling him "Drama Queen" now is that he tried to spread FUD about the PS4 a few times already since May.
First, he implied that Sony might be lying about DRM for physical media.
Then, the HDCP debacle, he definitely tried to blow the issue out of proportion.

He said that Sony may have been waiting to see what Microsoft did, which wouldn't be surprising given they had removed their camera from the system at the last minute. He also said that Sony made a lot of promises with the PS3 that didn't quite branch out at launch, if ever, and that actually ended up happening a bit with the suspend/resume function and who knows what else.

But if you actually follow him, he's been praising Sony on quite a bit, especially regarding the DS4 and indie support. He just doesn't jump on one wagon while burning down the other like a lot of people do.

Which, in the end is why a lot of people were upset, because he wasn't joining in on the Microsoft tar-and-feathering.

The only legitimate thing that could be pinned on him was the discussion on pricing he did in comparing the systems, where he included the PS+ price with the PS4 while not including XboxLive for the XBOne. But again, since then he's been positive about Sony, so it may have been a senile moment.

Copenap

Devkits, presumably. It seems that all pre-launch next gen reviews (AC4, Battlefield, COD) are being done at publisher review events like this.

But didn't we just 1-2 days ago hear that PS4 reviews will come next week or so and only Xbone reviews are NDAd till the 12th (at least for CoD)?

Shouldn't we be against Publisher Review events? Were they can select/deselect specific people from certain events?

Oh definitely, not a fan of these at all.

Taker34

Banned
I can confirm. It's part of the overall NDA people signed to get access to the consoles. This presumes that Sessler is talking about the same issue, of course.

It's ridiculous. We've had a week of passive-aggressive BS from several outlets, and whenever it's pressed further, the answer is just "NDA."

I don't care if you're pissed off, if you're under an NDA, the professional thing to do is STFU and not drop vague hints to wind others up.

Alright, thank you guys.

I agree, which is exactly why I think it's so ridiculous that not a single person will be upfront about what the drama is all about. Being passive aggressive on twitter will not solve your perceived problem, but raising awareness about it just might.

What I don't get is how sites like say IGN are posting pesudo reviews of Knack like this one If you watch the video they actually pretend like this is a full on review...which has me totally confused. http://www.ign.com/ps4 (obviously look under the Knack section)

Metfanant

How can Polygon review AC4 on PS4 on the 5th then ?

That's a really good question....

1. Sony doesn't publish AC4....so they don't control that review process...the Sony event will be for games like Killzone and Knack...
2. You can review a GAME just fine on a dev kit...but a dev kit won't be running the same software as a retail console...so it makes reviewing the hardware and system software impossible....

What I don't get is how sites like say IGN are posting pesudo reviews of Knack like this one If you watch the video they actually pretend like this is a full on review...which has me totally confused. http://www.ign.com/ps4 (obviously look under the Knack section)

Probably the same way we just had all those sites post new previews of Killzone....they were invited to a preview event held by the developer and got to try the game out...

This event on the 11th-12th is for the press to OFFICIALLY review the games and console

itsgreen

Could be Google...

They host their videos on Youtube, and video discovery through Youtube have become very important.

Youtube might claim that they don't own rights to videos with game footage. And that the rights belong to the publishers.

So he won't receive ad value.

This thread is a great example of how not to use twitter.
If you don't expect a fuss, especially as a well known person, don't put cryptic shit up publically.

If the company in question has an NDA in place where you can't even discuss the shit you're alluding to, then I say it's fair to kick up a fuss in any other way, so long as you get the message across.

RulkezX

But didn't we just 1-2 days ago hear that PS4 reviews will come next week or so and only Xbone reviews are NDAd till the 12th (at least for CoD)?

Oh definitely, not a fan of these at all.

They are , which is why it's only the current gen , PC and PS4 review on the 5th.

I don't think we know the whole story here.

lockload

The rumour is tsony have given ONE media outlet in the WHOLE of the usa a ps4 dev kit that allows video capture with HDCP off

So basically the only edited ps4 content you will see is from that outlet

Due to retail ps4s having hdcp enabled they wont allow video capture at launch (although sony have said they will patch 'sometime after launch)

Kingbrave

I can confirm. It's part of the overall NDA people signed to get access to the consoles. This presumes that Sessler is talking about the same issue, of course.

This is a problem I have. He willingly signed the NDA and then bitch when he can't break it. If he breaks it isn't he be in legal trouble?

I don't think they should sign this stuff. I know the publishers think it's gonna help with first day sales by stopping bad press. For the most part we know which games are going to be really shitty.

If the company in question has an NDA in place where you can't even discuss the shit you're alluding to, then I say it's fair to kick up a fuss in any other way, so long as you get the message across.

No, the best way would be to not have signed the NDA and get the message of the bad practice out. Thank God we have leakers or Microsoft would have had That DRM right down our throats and those journalist would have been under NDA and would not have told us until after launch...

The rumour is tsony have given ONE media outlet in the WHOLE of the usa a ps4 dev kit that allows video capture with HDCP off

So basically the only edited ps4 content you will see is from that outlet

Due to retail ps4s having hdcp enabled they wont allow video capture at launch (although sony have said they will patch 'sometime after launch)

You can strip HDCP out though, so I don't think that's the issue.

They are , which is why it's only the current gen , PC and PS4 review on the 5th.

I don't think we know the whole story here.

We don't, and at this point nobody knows what the hell we're talking about. Everyone is just shooting rumors all over the place in hope that something will stick. That or trying their best to take advantage of another opportunity to be aggressive to "them".

Dead Man

Then he needs to whistleblow to somebody who didn't sign the NDA, or be quiet.

He is getting no message across at the moment other than he is worried about his job.

lockload

This is a problem I have. He willingly signed the NDA and then bitch when he can't break it. If he breaks it isn't he be in legal trouble?

I don't think they should sign this stuff. I know the publishers think it's gonna help with first day sales by stopping bad press. For the most part we know which games are going to be really shitty.

If they dont sign it they cant to their job so...

Its not like they can wait for a retail ps4 and capture video that way (HDCP is enabled)

itsgreen

Well it sounds like a policy decision rather then something short termed like not enough dev kits for jounalists. That will be fixed with a month or so.

No, the best way would be to not have signed the NDA and get the message of the bad practice out. Thank God we have leakers or Microsoft would have had That DRM right down our throats and those journalist would have been under NDA and would not have told us until after launch...

Really? I could have sworn there was this big announcement on stage that this was all coming and in actual interviews, where people were slipping up real time on such issues.

But ok, if you say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom