• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the best way would be to not have signed the NDA and get the message of the bad practice out. Thank God we have leakers or Microsoft would have had That DRM right down our throats and those journalist would have been under NDA and would not have told us until after launch...

Not sure how leakers can be credited with the XB1 180s. The pressure came after the reveal. It had nothing to do with the leaks.

As for signing the NDAs, I suppose he could have done that. But he's a reviewer and if he's not reviewing a new console's launch lineup, then he's not doing his job. Asking the Sess to break the mold on his own is probably asking for too much. Anyway, he certainly has a right to complain about the grip that these companies are tightening around the reviewer's neck.

Taker34

Banned
No, the best way would be to not have signed the NDA and get the message of the bad practice out. Thank God we have leakers or Microsoft would have had That DRM right down our throats and those journalist would have been under NDA and would not have told us until after launch...

Exactly, a responsible journalist would anonymously leak such bad practices and warn/inform consumers and everyone else. Most of those "journalists" are so afraid of not getting early reviews, that they submit to every NDA possible. Those big review sites (GT, IGN, Machinima etc.) don't even understand how much power they have. If they would actively refuse to review a game under certain circumstances, then everyone would rather listen to comments and opinions from normal users, which tend to be much worse than a forgiving review from one of those bigger sites.

Really? I could have sworn there was this big announcement on stage that this was all coming and in actual interviews, where people were slipping up real time on such issues.

But ok, if you say so.

Huh? The pressure came because the event basically confirmed the leaks and everyone's fears.

Bedlam

The rumour is tsony have given ONE media outlet in the WHOLE of the usa a ps4 dev kit that allows video capture with HDCP off

So basically the only edited ps4 content you will see is from that outlet

Due to retail ps4s having hdcp enabled they wont allow video capture at launch (although sony have said they will patch 'sometime after launch)
You know that the source was a weird post by Kevin Dent who was subsequently called drunk and a clown by famousmortimer and cboat, right?

Feorax

Sooooo lost right now. Will just wait until the dust settles before I try to even understand this.

I wouldn't bother. It looks like certain journalists are enjoying all the cockteasing and winding up of the community, so I doubt you'll get a straight answer anytime soon.

It's a good job there aren't serious issues to be discussed eh?

That Dent guy.

Though he did also predict , just today, that both consoles will have day 1 patches , so he must totally know his shit.
Oh, good grief.

I'm going to recycle a gif from earlier, because it's still so perfectly apt.
yuck.gif

Can people stop referencing his already debunked post? The guy is a misogynistic douche and attention whore.

kadotsu

Banned
So if this is related to Sony then why are we getting PS4 game reviews and nothing on the Xbone? Confusing.

This could be specifically about youtube monetization for captured PS4 content. Most review sites wouldn't care that much because they get most revenue from their own site. It would be a bad move for Sony because the most popular lets players have an audience comparable to IGN.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Kevin Dent covered what the issue is in this post.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=87628981&postcount=1056

Edit: Well, it may not be directly related to Adam but it's hard to say for sure right now.

Geesh. That's a non issue. I use HDMI to capture on my PS3 as it is. (Which has the same "crippling" problem.) I'm betting my $24 stripper will get rid of any HDCP BS on the PS4 just as easily.

In fact, here's a video demonstrating my magical HDMI capture powers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6_Nvajda58

gossi

I don't think they should sign this stuff.

The problem is, you join the games industry, and the NDAs start arriving. You can't breathe at certain developers without signing an NDA. There's a wider issue in the gaming industry around control of journalists which has yet to blow up.

StuBurns

Banned
Not sure how leakers can be credited with the XB1 180s. The pressure came after the reveal. It had nothing to do with the leaks.

As for signing the NDAs, I suppose he could have done that. But he's a reviewer and if he's not reviewing a new console's launch lineup, then he's not doing his job. Asking the Sess to break the mold on his own is probably asking for too much. Anyway, he certainly has a right to complain about the grip that these companies are tightening around the reviewer's neck.
He'd have got massive press and hits if he'd blogged about unethical NDA inclusions, but regardless, he's meant to be a journalist, he should have some integrity.

When the MGS4 review NDA didn't allow reviewers to discuss loading, installing and cutscene length the ones with any sort of ethics refused to sign and delayed their reviews, as they should have.

Metfanant

So if this is related to Sony then why are we getting PS4 game reviews and nothing on the Xbone? Confusing.

Because you're confusing multiple issues....

1. The Sessler issue is apparently regarding the Sony review event on November 11-12...at this event the press will get to review the retail console...and Sony's first party games...in a controlled environment...the press (and Mrs. Sessler ) are unhappy...

2. HDCP causing issues for those who want to capture their own video for reviews

3. Third party games are up to the publisher...and can be reviewed on dev kits because they are not reviewing the console or system software...just the game itself...so we will see reviews for Sony third party games soon (like AC4)

Huh? The pressure came because the event basically confirmed the leaks and everyone's fears.

For on here maybe, but the greater gaming community that got pissed off? That was all of Microsoft's own doing on stage.

GAF might be good at getting people fired over tweets, but let's not get cocky.

Kingbrave

The problem is, you join the games industry, and the NDAs start arriving. You can't breathe at certain developers without signing an NDA. There's a wider issue in the gaming industry around control of journalists which has yet to blow up.

Which is the problem I have.

Also I think of them more as enthusiasts than journalists because of the nature of their articles. It's not like they are newspaper reporters chasing down leads to dirty bastards and stuff. However it is their job to inform us of potential problems and the conditions that they base their reviews on. In my opinion of course.

Amir0x

Banned
Game journalists tweeting hints about stuff and then we all decided to speculate. There may or may not of been mass quantities of drugs...

I am still confused. Sony not letting out kits for review? Or what? I don't know what's true or not anymore lol

For on here maybe, but the greater gaming community that got pissed off? That was all of Microsoft's own doing on stage.

GAF might be good at getting people fired over tweets, but let's not get cocky.

I wasn't speaking only about GAf... Vgleaks,n4g and the likes were a big reason people knew what was coming. Microsoft only made it worse.

Kingbrave

I am still confused. Sony not letting out kits for review? Or what? I don't know what's true or not anymore lol

I think we all are.

It started out with Sessler alluding to something to do with a game company and saying he might have to change careers.
Lots of speculation.
Some Dent dude wrote a huge post.
Fuck gaming press.

I think that's it.

Amir0x

Banned
I think we all are.

It started out with Sessler alluding to something to do with a game company and saying he might have to change careers.
Lots of speculation.
Fuck gaming press.

I think that's it.

oh god thanks bro, I'm going back to sleep until this shit is settled.

I fucking hate this industry sometimes, seriously. *sigh*

Metfanant

BASICALLY....it seems that the press are all bent that they won't be getting consoles and review copies of first party games from Sony until the review event...Sessler is going bananas about it ruining his career (and Mrs Sessler is going bananas because Adam ruined her Saturday)

I wasn't speaking only about GAf... Vgleaks,n4g and the likes were a big reason people knew what was coming. Microsoft only made it worse.

I get that, and we can throw Reddit, 4chan, and all these other places too with those gaming communities.

My point is that it got bigger than that, and those leakers weren't the ones to catalyze anything. If the leakers had anything to do with it, Microsoft wouldn't have made those announcements in the first place.

I think we all are.

Lots of speculation.
Fuck gaming press.

I think that's it.

YOU FORGOT GERSTMAN, COOL AS A CUCUMBER

So glad I opted out of getting one of the big consoles at launch this year since I'm lost as all fuck as to what's been happening these past couple days.

I like Adam enough but I can't really tell if this is an issue of one of the big two restricting you from remotely making money off any footage you recorded off the XB1/PS4 (which I'd agree is bullshit, especially for a team like Rev3 who rely off that shit and aren't just 'youtube personalities') or just one of the consoles is a bitch to record footage off in the first place (which I'm guessing not since otherwise thinking about leaving the industry over that seems more than just a bit over-dramatic). This thread is too convoluted at this point for me to even attempt wading through.

twofold

Technically that is against the law in the USA.

Ok, so if it is against the law to strip out HDCP, it's understandable why Rev3 games wouldn't want to do that.

Do people on here really expect Rev3 games to break the law over this? I mean, it's a really, really dumb law, but it is still the law at the end of the day, and we have to stick to it else we face the consequences.

I can understand why this would be causing Sessler distress, and I imagine his twitter outbreak is simply him being at the end of his tether. Hopefully this all gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

I bet this is something blown out of proportion. I think Adam Sessler is a generally cool guy, and I'm sure it's something to worry about but I bet it'll/he'll be fine.

Dent and a few others basically suggested that Sony is strong-arming reviewers to attend a review event, otherwise the only way they could review a game would be to wait for it at launch or buy an expensive dev kit.

The debate is about how whether users are impacted by reviews that are published after the launch of the game which is what would happen if a reviewer chose not to attend a Sony review event.

And then there's the reviewer and association publications who are affected because they get beat to the punch by reviews that are published earlier because the reviewer decided to attend the review event.

Kingbrave

It's more than just him. Quite a few journalists are talking about "something"

With the advent of social media and how large it is today, it's not wise to post shit and then not expect us to blow it out of proportion. Hell it's our hobby so of course we are gonna get hyped and upset about things.

Hollow

BASICALLY....it seems that the press are all bent that they won't be getting consoles and review copies of first party games from Sony until the review event...Sessler is going bananas about it ruining his career (and Mrs Sessler is going bananas because Adam ruined her Saturday)

Lot of hyperbole coming from Sess if that's the reason.
So many cryptic tweets make this thing so confusing to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom