• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony keeps treating Horizon like it's golden child?

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
First game that launched the pc ports initiative.
First (and only?) ps studios game for psvr2.
And now first game that launches on a Nintendo system.

Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next smash bros.
A remake, a gaas and a TV show are also coming.
Are other ps franchises more deserving of this push or has Herman Hulst vanity project gone too far? It's just an ok game!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Screenshot_2019_11_07_at_08.png

He's the man in-charge now. And Horizon is his baby.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

First (and only?) ps studios game for psvr2.
And now first game that launches on a Nintendo system.

Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next smash bros.
A remake, a gaas and a TV show are also coming.
Are other ps franchises more deserving of this push or has Herman Hulst vanity project gone too far? It's just an ok game!
Once Hulst took over as CEO of PS Studios, it was expected. There's an obvious bias

The Office Thank You GIF

They try too hard to make her stoic.

Yeah, stoic boss babe, which I can kinda get given that she's the DNA clone of the world's greatest historical scientific researcher.

It makes her a bit milquetoast, but games and IPs dont need to revolve around lots of charismatic characters

feynoob

Yeah, stoic boss babe, which I can kinda get given that she's the DNA clone of the world's greatest historical scientific researcher.

It makes her a bit milquetoast, but games and IPs dont need to revolve around lots of charismatic characters
People like boring characters. Makes the game interesting, when you aren't that invested in the story.

A great story would distract you from the gameplay, but a shit story would make you invest more in to the gameplay.

It's why I like Skyrim. Shit story, but great open world.

People like boring characters. Makes the game interesting, when you aren't that invested in the story.

A great story would distract you from the gameplay, but a shit story would make you invest more in to the gameplay.

I like the story of the horizon series, just not Aloy as much. I do like the side characters and Sylens.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They need to hire better story and character writers for the next one or it'll be a disaster based on the ending in the second game, not to mention other things related to characters and the way they were written and pretty much one-note, which is not bad thing per-se in some much less ambitious game not about saving the earth from rogue AI, but it's just... boring af if all characters basically agree with everything the main character says, doing etc. and the main characters is almost completely emotionless when she should be.

nial

Gold Member
Screenshot_2019_11_07_at_08.png

He's the man in-charge now. And Horizon is his baby.
Once Hulst took over as CEO of PS Studios, it was expected. There's an obvious bias
Pretty sure that the PC port of HZD and COTM were greenlit under Shuhei Yoshida. But the rest is spot on, I guess it helps that it was the best-selling new IP for SCE on its console with its best-selling games in general.
It’s in the top five best-selling Sony IPs, and it’s the only one that isn’t rated M.
Guran Tsūrisumo?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Guran Tsūrisumo?
You’re not wrong. But I didn’t mention that IP or Spider-Man since the former isn’t character-driven (which is sort of what the topic is about), and the latter is an established Marvel property, even if Sony currently owns the rights.

Dafegamer

I'll sadly have to Co-sign with the "Aloy is boring" takes. I mean if you compare female characters from recent Games, Ellie is so much more compelling than her as a Character. The Horizon games have great gameplay (for the most part) but sometimes there was moments when it almost put me to sleep based on the characters and Story motivations 🥱

Robb

Gold Member
First game that launches on a Nintendo system.
Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next Smash Bros.
Is “golden child” the right word?
7a13277d202bbb54c7e9eba864433067ae-lucille-bluth-003.w710.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Spiderman, uncharted, GT?
Mentioned two of those above, but I genuinely forgot Uncharted was rated Teen. 😯
I would have definitely guessed it was Mature.

Still, the Uncharted series seems to have concluded, especially given that Uncharted 4 is the conclusion of Nathan Drake. So it’s basically an inactive IP at this point.

This is not how it works.

If you are not focusing on story, you keep it optional.

All npc interactions in Skyrim has an option to quit. Just say yes to quest giver and quit. If you find quest interesting (some of them are), you can talk further, ask them to elaborate.

That is not the case with Horizon games. Story is not optional and if you skip cutscenes you miss important context.

Dacvak

Oh you ain't kidding.
HgLTH-2SQNYjUn16k_56FfgQ1eEyZWe4ZzrhflV8nFQ.jpg
It’s fucking DISGUSTING when video games sexualize their main characters and establish absolutely unrealistic expectations of beauty. This is EXACTLY why I didn’t buy Stellar Blade.

lol

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
If we're not including Spider-Man and Gran Turismo (or MLB The Show for that matter), it looks like this.
-God of War
-Uncharted
-Horizon
-The Last of Us
-Ratchet & Clank
eh, not as bad as we thought Dacvak Dacvak

Dacvak

👏 Where 👏 is 👏 Sackboy?
Great character, terrible games. I wanted to love them so badly, but they just had awful physics-based platforming that never felt quite right. Such a shame, cause I really loved everything else about those games.

Top Bottom