• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sony keeps treating Horizon like it's golden child?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It's the only Sony franchise where LEGO itself saw the global appeal (they are ones to decide what will be made into a set) and LEGO Tallneck is selling like hotcakes.

Personal feelings aside (and I quite like Horizon, boo-hoo), this is the best broad appeal game by PlayStation in years and no wonder that Sony is capitalizing on it. Plus the MH-like gameplay formula without the complicated UI/UX is a huge selling point by itself.

People looking for some Hulst biased 'gotcha' should really look at HZD sales.

Screenshot_2019_11_07_at_08.png

He's the man in-charge now. And Horizon is his baby.

Unfortunately, this.

I get it, franchise sells but, IMO, there's never been a more undeserving game/franchise, everything - besides the graphics/tech - are incredibly mediocre.

Not to be that guy but...Guerilla is another overhyped company that doesn't deserve the recognition it has gotten, they're on par with Ninja Theory - good tech and graphics but when it comes to the gameplay...yeah.

Killzone 1 was absolutely mediocre.
Killzone 2, well, people apparently liked it.
Killzone 3, while better in the gameplay department was worse than 2.
Killzone shadow whatever was mediocre.
Horizon 1 was A-OK for it's time even though was a very Ubisoft-like title.
Horizon 2...shit, I don't know if it sold well but I found it to be sleep-inducing, what a slog of a game.

So, out of 5-6 games (including the Vita one), they had what ? 2 actually good games ?

A company and franchise absolutely undeserving the hype and recognition IMO.

The only good things about the Horizon franchise are the "Future Google CEO killed the world" story/lore, the monster design and GFX 'cause when it comes to everything else... yeahhhhhhh.

Just my opinion obviously

Last edited:

Mowcno

It's the only Sony franchise where LEGO itself saw the global appeal (they are ones to decide what will be made into a set) and LEGO Tallneck is selling like hotcakes.

Personal feelings aside (and I quite like Horizon, boo-hoo), this is the best broad appeal game by PlayStation in years and no wonder that Sony is capitalizing on it.
Pretty much. Horizon is the biggest franchise they have that can fit well into an all-ages title. TLOU, God of War etc are too adult. Spiderman they don't have full control of. Uncharted could have worked too but they need to reboot it first. Everything else (ratchet etc) is much smaller.

At this time Horizon is the biggest franchise they have that can be marketed to a wider age group.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Unfortunately, this.

I get it, franchise sells but, IMO, there's never been a more undeserving game/franchise, everything - besides the graphics/tech - are incredibly mediocre.

Not to be that guy but...Guerilla is another overhyped company that doesn't deserve the recognition it has gotten, they're on par with Ninja Theory - good tech and graphics but when it comes to the gameplay...yeah.

Their engine is amazing. Decima is a beast and for that alone they deserve their position.

As for HZD, it's a Ubisoft game made right, so the broad appeal (and sales) is understandable.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
First game was very good ... second game sucked, couldn't finish that slog, and chubby Aloy is a terrible character on the second game. Dont know why they think she is that popular... but who the fuck knows what Sony think this days ... they are progressively connecting less and less with me ...

Their engine is amazing. Decima is a beast and for that alone they deserve their position.

As for HZD, it's a Ubisoft game made right, so the broad appeal (and sales) is understandable.

Agreed 👍

It's just that, when not looking things from a sales point of view, their games - always IMO - are the definition of mediocre (but not "bad") when it comes to the actual gameplay and feel like they're made by a committee®, they're basically "soulless" brother...

You could argue that most mega franchises are like that (target group focused/lowest common denominator appeal much like Ubi games) but, for all the shit a company like - say - Naughty Dog gets, they, at least, produced something like TLOU2 which has both the tech nailed down AND the gameplay.
People can fight all they want about its NPC A.I but the available options/user agency and emergent gameplay are really something else in that game.

Again, I'll have to equate them to Ninja Theory - it's good tech with mediocre gameplay.

Cheers

SenkiDala

Horizon is the epitome of mid.

The VR game was semi-alright until it was just climb, jump, fight, repeat.
Yeah... I hate to say it but Horizon games, to me, are so boring to play... I expected to love them a lot, this is totally my type of story/plot/universe, but the game is just BORING AS HELL to play... Battles are mostly long for no reason, the side and main quests are annoying and badly written, the characters too are badly written... I can't love Alloy who is whining all the time...

I needed like 4 years to complete the 1st HZD with DLC, because always I dropped the game, and I was literally falling asleep (and waking up 2 hours later) after 10 minutes playing it.

I love most of others PS Studios games, but Horizon... Those are just (very) boring games to play.

midnightAI

It's the worst part about current Sony for me. Horizon is boring shite. Why not astro bot or something. I can't understand it.
Well for many millions Horizon isn't boring shite as you put it (I can just boot up my already completed game and just screw around killing robots for fun)

But Astro Bot isn't yet an established IP (not as much as Horizon at least) the new game is even considered by Asobi is the first proper game and time for it to stand on its own two feet.

And, well, Lego robot dinosaurs are going to sell better than Astro Bot. Who knows, in a couple of years if Astro takes off then maybe we'll see a Lego astro bot game also.

kaizenkko

Do you guys need to realise that Sony is lost is this generation. From live service game to multiplataform releases. Playstation 5 doesn't have the charm and essence of PS4. I thin k we forgot this because Xbox is a really awful competitor and because of that PS5 keep selling well anyway.

It amuses me to no end, how little self-awareness GAFers have.

You all talk like you represent the current zeitgeist in gaming, when in reality everyone here is a tiny fraction of a minority of the total number of people who buy and own a Playstation.

Might as well ask why Epic Games only makes Fortnite or why Activision puts so much money exclusively into Call or Duty.

The reason is obvious. It's not some conspiracy.

damidu

because its herman's own baby.
and honestly the games are great and seemingly doing great reception and sales wise as well, so the franchise goes on.
it's the haters that are the odd ones out

midnightAI

Do you guys need to realise that Sony is lost is this generation. From live service game to multiplataform releases. Playstation 5 doesn't have the charm and essence of PS4. I thin k we forgot this because Xbox is a really awful competitor and because of that PS5 keep selling well anyway.
So people are buying something they don't want? Strange people

midnightAI

I enjoy the Horizon games, but I don't think it has nearly the broad appeal some at Sony do. Pretty much agree with the "Hulst's baby" theory.
Nah,it's just the most marketable of all Sony's current big games to a wide audience (age groups, from young to old). Sackboy is the only other one really and that's had its time really and was never as big (sales wise) as Horizon. It's too soon for Astro

Last edited:
First game that launched the pc ports initiative.
First (and only?) ps studios game for psvr2.
And now first game that launches on a Nintendo system.

Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next smash bros.
A remake, a gaas and a TV show are also coming.
Are other ps franchises more deserving of this push or has Herman Hulst vanity project gone too far? It's just an ok game!
Actually one of my absolute favourite IPs.

Deep challenging post apocalyptic combat vs giant metal dinosaurs.. i mean come-fucking-on.

Games are stunningly gorgeous with great writing and acting to boot.

I want everything theyre doing directly in my veins.

Tsaki

First game that launched the pc ports initiative.
First (and only?) ps studios game for psvr2.
And now first game that launches on a Nintendo system.

Aloy is in Fortnite, Genshin Impact and Monster Hunter. I bet they're gonna try to make her appear in the next smash bros.
A remake, a gaas and a TV show are also coming.
Are other ps franchises more deserving of this push or has Herman Hulst vanity project gone too far? It's just an ok game!
Over 30 Million copies sold in this franchise in 7 years.
Objectively one of their top IP

hinch7

Yeah I never got it either but the franchise seems to be popular.

Wish GG would go back to making Killzone games though. Those games are way more up my alley.. and its not like they have to compete with Halo anymore.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It’s in the top five best-selling Sony IPs, and it’s the only one that isn’t rated M.

Eh? As far as I'm aware, Ratchet and Clank has sold more than Horizon and certainly isn't rated M/18.

Rachet and Clank would also make a better Lego game than Horizon, but that's just my personal opinion.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I was actually thinking Horizon is the perfect IP to spearhead all this stuff because even though it's a pretty successful game, Aloy is a mid character and not a "big deal".

This is like Nintendo going day and date on PC with Lego Splatoon instead of Super Mario 128. It's a more gradual "softer" push into new territory. This IP neither dooms the success of the experiment nor gives the whole house away too fast.

These decisions aren't made in a vacuum. It must be making a shit load of money.

I loved the original horizon game, thought FW was crap though. Aloy has just become too unlikable and talky.

Never played more than 20 minutes so I have no ideia if it is good, but it seems they sold a lot of copies so money maybe.

Also, if their bets don't pay off it easier to deal than let's say, Kratos or Nathan losing appeal.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's called "propaganda"

If one thing does middle success, you can do a heavy marketing to the point that blind consumers understand as a huge success, then they spread the word and eventually could be

This is more used with politicians, but companies also do since ever

Spyxos

Gold Member
I liked the first game, but everything after that wasn't good. I also can't understand why they put so much emphasis on this game series. Sony has much stronger brands.

Iced Arcade

Horizon has a larger age base it can serve.

come on now think about it... are you really going to make a GOW or TLOU game that's Legos and can't sell to children?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sony is working to broaden the appeal of their properties beyond their consoles. Uncharted and Gran Turismo got movies, TLOU went to PC and has a TV show, and they are branching out with Horizon with PC games and a Lego crossover. Robot creatures is a good fit for Lego, even if they have to actually give Aloy a sense of humor to make Horizon work.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Sony is working to broaden the appeal of their properties beyond their consoles. Uncharted and Gran Turismo got movies, TLOU went to PC and has a TV show, and they are branching out with Horizon with PC games and a Lego crossover. Robot creatures is a good fit for Lego, even if they have to actually give Aloy a sense of humor to make Horizon work.

Hey, in Lego games, even Darth Vader is funny. This is an across-the-board part of the "Lego-ification"

Top Bottom