• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

It's a very valid complain, I am aware of it and I agree with you 100% that Nintendo current policy is crap... but that was not the point of my post.

Digital purchases are tied to the NNiD?. Yes. That's a fact and a lot of people are still ignoring it.
Customer support is shitty in some cases/countries?... Yes. But that's a whole different issue that I don't intent to discuss.

People, I'm not defending Nintendo, I still think that their policies are stupid and over complicated, I just don't like misinformation.

Ok, I understand what you are saying now. The way that you said before it seemed like another thing.

M3d10n

Could you explain the rationale behind using a system dependant encryption key? This wasn't the case on Wii. Is it an anti piracy measure?

Anti-hacking. On the Wii, it was possible to tamper with the saves to search for buffer overflow exploits. Encrypting the saves prevents them from being modified: if you change a single bit the whole save becomes corrupt. Using an unique key per system avoids having the entire system being defeated if a key is ever found out, because it cannot be used in another units.

Now, they could have made the keys NNID-bound instead of system bound, but they didn't even plan for individuals NNIDs to be transferable to other consoles.

Kings fan

It's still the best way to use the internet browser and play Pikmin 3 (though I'm guessing some people will disagree with me on that). :-/

I agree with you 100%.

Once you learn to use the GamePad controls with Pikmin 3 (i.e. play the few days of story mode) it's hard to go back to Wiimote + nunchuck.

The internet browser on the Wii U is glorious because of the Gamepad.

By far the best experience I've had with a web browser on any console and makes streaming videos a breeze on my television/through the Gamepad.

Well fuck, guess I can't even get this update because for some crazy reason my Wii U is saying it's not connected to my network and I need my GamePad to change any of the settings. Nintendo is so damn stupid for making the GamePad required to do damn near everything on the console, even simple things like changing the settings. This thing is useless.

balohna

Well fuck, guess I can't even get this update because for some crazy reason my Wii U is saying it's not connected to my network and I need my GamePad to change any of the settings. Nintendo is so damn stupid for making the GamePad required to do damn near everything on the console, even simple things like changing the settings. This thing is useless.

Isn't it more like it's too useful? :p

Only because they neutered the console to make it seem that way. Anyway I reset my modem and router and now my system is auto updating, things just seem to be working themselves out today!

Actually they did. It was in the infamous "panic Direct" from January 2013, IIRC. And, as zeyphersan linked, they've had it on their website for well over a year now, with no updates at all since.

I only remember GBA from that Direct. What time in the Direct does it come?

HUELEN10

I wonder what is with them not adding folders?
Because they know folder on the 3DS are horrid, and perhaps they wanna implement them right? If they never do folders, but allow unlimited slots so you never run out, I'd be cool with that.

Still have to use the GamePad for Amazon VoD. Ohh well, not like the Wii U is my primary console, but I look forward to the day that you won't need the GamePad for anything. Nintendo can't restock those extended life batteries soon enough...!

Squishy3

I agree with you 100%.

Once you learn to use the GamePad controls with Pikmin 3 (i.e. play the few days of story mode) it's hard to go back to Wiimote + nunchuck.

The internet browser on the Wii U is glorious because of the Gamepad.

By far the best experience I've had with a web browser on any console and makes streaming videos a breeze on my television/through the Gamepad.
The best method is Wiimote+Nunchuk with GamePad on a TV tray or table in front of you for issuing move orders for the other captains. There's no other substitute.

Blues1990

While I will still use the Gamepad for how I access most of the applications & for off-screen play (using the Gamepad while browsing the internet is sublime), I am glad that this update is available for those who want options, & to be not limited with using a controller they think is uncomfortable.

shauntu

So, my Wii U auto-updated to 5.1 this morning. Before that, all was fine. After that, the Left Analog Stick no longer works properly. Basically, if I press right on it, it continuously presses right after that even after I let it go. Pressing left does nothing. Its like its calibrated wrong.

Even a slight touch will set it off, eg watching Netflix it will end up forwarding the whole movie, on the Wii U menu if swapped to the screen it will scroll right all the way to the last page, etc.

The problem happens even on the Quick Start menu, before the Wii U even is turned on.

I also noticed, if using the GamePad TV button to control the TV, the touch screen stops responding if the Left Analog stick is touched. Have to press the TV button again to remove the overlay, then bring it back to use the touch commands.

Anyone else encounter anything like this? I have restarted, hard shut down with the power button, and also performed the A,B,+,- calibration (which basically results in the stick being moved Right no longer doing anything, while moving Left becomes the new problem.

adroit

So, my Wii U auto-updated to 5.1 this morning. Before that, all was fine. After that, the Left Analog Stick no longer works properly.
What an unfortunate and bizarre coincidence. I think you need to call Nintendo support and I have a bad feeling you'll end up having to send your GamePad in for service. Bummer. Good luck. Hope there's some way to knock some sense into it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Anti-hacking. On the Wii, it was possible to tamper with the saves to search for buffer overflow exploits. Encrypting the saves prevents them from being modified: if you change a single bit the whole save becomes corrupt. Using an unique key per system avoids having the entire system being defeated if a key is ever found out, because it cannot be used in another units.

Now, they could have made the keys NNID-bound instead of system bound, but they didn't even plan for individuals NNIDs to be transferable to other consoles.

Thanks, that make sense. Have you got an idea what this current update is doing that enables moving encrypted saves from one system to another?
Is it just decrypting them for the move and then encrypting them again with the new system's key? If that were the case I'd imagine there shouldn't have been a problem to keep the save data already available on the new system.. So they must be doing something else.

Also, how hard is it to update the save encryption algorithm to use a key based on the NNID rather than the system? Would it mean updating every single game?

zruben

Banned
Thanks, that make sense. Have you got an idea what this current update is doing that enables moving encrypted saves from one system to another?
Is it just decrypting them for the move and then encrypting them again with the new system's key? If that were the case I'd imagine there shouldn't have been a problem to keep the save data already available on the new system.. So they must be doing something else.

Also, how hard is it to update the save encryption algorithm to use a key based on the NNID rather than the system? Would it mean updating every single game?

I'm a potato with this kind of things, but based on how the system transfer works for the 3DS, I'm assuming that instead of decrypting and ecrypting again, the transfer just delete the key of the new system and replaces it with the key of the old system. It basically makes a 1:1 "cut+paste" of the system.

the old system get factory reset and generate a new key or something.

Sagitario

Nintendo Network IDs that previously existed on the target Wii U can be relinked after the transfer [How to]
If these Nintendo Network IDs are relinked, content purchased by them on the target Wii U will become available for download. The save data for IDs that previously existed on the target system will be deleted as part of the system transfer process, and any USB Storage devices that were previously used will need to be formatted to work with the Wii U again

Once a Nintendo Network ID has been associated to a Wii U console, it can only be moved to a new user on the same console where the account was originally created.

So, you can't relink it with a different [not the target] console?

M3d10n

Like zruben said, the OS copies the key to the target system and generates a new one for the source system, so the target system can read existing encrypted files.

Updating to use NNID-tied keys would be a bit tricky. Without being able to log in with a NNID into other consoles without calling support it would be useless, so they'd need to address that first. Then they could add a "save export" feature, like the 3DS backup feature, which re-encrypts the save using the NNID key and writes to the SD card or uploads it into the cloud. Restoring the save would use the NNID key to decrypt it and encrypt it using the system key.

However, there's one catch: I am not sure, but I read somewhere that some Wii U games have saves that are shared among all NNIDs. If that's true, these would pose to be a problem (or maybe they couldn't be exported at all).

Top Bottom