• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

Keeping your CC info, contacts, email etc tied to an account is a good sharing deterrent. Also Sony used to be a lot more liberal about it and clamped down hard in the later PS3 era. I'm not arguing that it can't be more lucrative for the business overall but there are factors that make this more case-by-case.

Yes, Sony did restrain it quite a bit later on, that's why I didn't put only them when I talked about it, because people would strawman it quite a lot. Still, even with their restriction, if my Vita got robbed I still would have my digital games (I'm not in a place to call Nintendo Call Service, there isn't one here).

prag16

Banned
These are great additions, now could we please get some 64 vc? I won't even ask for GC vc anymore, I just really want to play my copy of SM64 using the gamepad.

This is really the biggest thing I want. I want to play F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario 64 off-TV with the gamepad.

Preferably, they'll release those for Wii U VC, but as a lesser option I'll "settle" for being able to use the gamepad as a classic controller in Wii mode.

So save data on an external harddrive can't be transferred to a new Wii U correct?

I would imagine once you copy the source Wii U over to the target Wii U, the target Wii U can have the same hard drive connected to it and the hard drive will treat the target Wii U as if it was the source Wii U.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
about time. ridiculous that it took so long.. wonder if this is an indication that a new Wii U model is coming out... didn't system transfer finally come out on 3DS around the same time as the LL/XL release?

edit: But I think the bigger issue here is that Apple and Google are companies hundreds of times the size of Nintendo, and making way more money, not to mention the fact that Nintendo is probably reluctant to overspend in a time when they are already operating at a loss, even though maybe they should since they were late to enter the digital age. Is it legitimate as a consumer to expect a uniform standard of operation across different digital devices? Yes. Is it reasonable to expect small companies with limited resources to adapt to changes in this standard as quickly as huge companies with way more resources? I don't think it is. Nintendo are making progress in the right direction. And part of that progress includes hiring more programmers and building a better OS team so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again in the future.
What about Sony? I keep seeing their financial woes in comparison to Nintendo's to underline that Nintendo has plenty of money and is not doomed, so excusing it because of costs seems bizarre given that it's a vital cost to compete, is being done by their direct and indirect competitors, and their key demographics are getting used to how accounts work elsewhere and will carry that expectation with them if Nintendo tries to woo or keep them going forward. It cannot both be argued that Nintendo has plenty of money to not be doomed but cannot afford to change their account system.

I also do not excuse them because of size. They have the resources to solve this problem, and the benefit of almost a decade of seeing how others have done it.

The idea that we treat them with kid gloves because they're slowly shuffling forward is one I absolutely reject. They're not a person, they don't get an A for effort. They are years behind their competition and everyone else. They deserve to get boxed on the ears for this.

It is absolutely reasonable to expect them to adhere to modern standards when those standards have existed for years and they have the size and capital to fix it. To suggest otherwise is irrational.

This is really the biggest thing I want. I want to play F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario 64 off-TV with the gamepad.

Preferably, they'll release those for Wii U VC, but as a lesser option I'll "settle" for being able to use the gamepad as a classic controller in Wii mode.

I would imagine once you copy the source Wii U over to the target Wii U, the target Wii U can have the same hard drive connected to it and the hard drive will treat the target Wii U as if it was the source Wii U.

Oh so I wouldn't have to reformat it?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No, in my case I will be keeping BOTH consoles, in two different houses. Because I want the digital Wind Waker that is in console A, I will just switch one console from another. That way all the saves will be intact in both consoles.
If I do the system transfer, the saves will only be in ONE console, and get deleted in the other.
The only downside is that the saves from B can never transfer to A or vice-versa. And A and B will have separate NNID's.
NNID's should be like PSN accounts: You can login in any console, not just one at a time!

I think you misunderstood my question. What I want to know is this: In an ideal situation you'd want to end up with the MK8 console having WW HD available on it, as well as any progress that was made in that game on the earlier console. Right?

Is there anything else from the WWHD console you want moved over to the MK8 console? Because if all you want is to unlink that one game from the console and move it (along with its save files) to the MK8 console, you should try talking to Nintendo customer support. I'm not saying they'll definitely do anything about it, but it's worth trying.

Similarly, if you want everything on WWHD console moved over to the MK8 console without losing anything on the MK8 console, try talking to Nintendo. They may offer a solution that is far from ideal but still works for your particular case.

What about Sony? I keep seeing their financial woes in comparison to Nintendo's to underline that Nintendo has plenty of money and is not doomed, so excusing it because of costs seems bizarre given that it's a vital cost to compete, is being done by their direct and indirect competitors, and their key demographics are getting used to how accounts work elsewhere and will carry that expectation with them if Nintendo tries to woo or keep them going forward. It cannot both be argued that Nintendo has plenty of money to not be doomed but cannot afford to change their account system.

I also do not excuse them because of size. They have the resources to solve this problem, and the benefit of almost a decade of seeing how others have done it.

The idea that we treat them with kid gloves because they're slowly shuffling forward is one I absolutely reject. They're not a person, they don't get an A for effort. They are years behind their competition and everyone else. They deserve to get boxed on the ears for this.

It is absolutely reasonable to expect them to adhere to modern standards when those standards have existed for years and they have the size and capital to fix it. To suggest otherwise is irrational.
Calm down, I think you're getting a bit too emotionally involved. I'm not excusing them of anything. Just saying that if you've been a Nintendo customer for a reasonable length of time, you know this is how they operate. They take their time and are very fiscally conservative, which is why they have so much saved money in the bank, and why they are a rather stable company, despite operating in an extremely unstable market. I'm not forcing you to approve, you're free to vote with your wallet, and if Nintendo gets hit hard because they failed to adapt to the needs of their consumers, that's a lesson they'll have to learn the hard way.

Piccoro

Nintendo's policies are really affecting negatively users with multiple consoles, like myself.
Across my family I have 3 Wii U's, and:

- We can't sign in on each other's consoles, because one NNID tied to a console.
- When we go to each other's houses, we can't bring our Wii U gamepads, because Nintendo decided that 2 or more Gamepads on the same console wasn't important. We're forced to buy Wiimotes.
- We can't copy the saves. I can not bring my save into another console to use my MK8 complete roster, I have to use MK8's vanilla characters of my brother's MK8.

I know I'm in the minority because there aren't many users with more than 1 console. But today's update seems kinda pointless. I guess it's only useful if you're selling one console to buy another, but even then, you have to have both consoles physically near each other to use this, so I don't understand it's purpose.

Nintendo's policies are really affecting negatively users with multiple consoles, like myself.

- We can't sign in on each other's consoles, because one NNID tied to a console.
- When we go to each other's houses, we can't bring our Wii U gamepads, because Nintendo decided that 2 or more Gamepads on the same console wasn't important. We're forced to buy Wiimotes.
- We can't copy the saves. I can not bring my save into another console to use my MK8 complete roster, I have to use MK8's vanilla characters of my brother's MK8.

I know I'm in the minority because there aren't many users with more than 1 console. But today's update seems kinda pointless. I guess it's only useful if you're selling one console to buy another, but even then, you have to have both consoles physically near each other to use this, so I don't understand it's purpose.
Yeah, really. I remember when Nintendo made a big deal about how you could save your Mii to your wiimote and bring it to friends' houses, but you can't do that with MK8, which seems like kind of an oversight.

If you don't have the system you want to deactivate, you can only deactivate ALL of them online. Also, unless it has changed, you can only do this once a year or so.

Every 6 months. Which makes sense and shouldn't be an issue for legitimate users of the feature. Also if you want to sell your PS4 and want to deactivate it, there is no limit on the number of deactivations for games, if you have the console.

This is leagues better than what Nintendo offers.

Indeed. If they do allow it, they'd have to put restrictions for sharing content on it.

Just allowing multiple consoles to log in and play the same downloaded content, is just asking for the business to collapse.

I can do it on my PC with Steam and Origin accounts, I can do it on Android and iOS devices, I can do it on PS4, PS3 and Xbox consoles, I can access my Kindle books on multiple different devices without problems.

None of those business's have collapsed, stop trying to defend Nintendo having an account system that works differently from pretty much every single account system currently in use by many different companies.

Calm down, I think you're getting a bit too emotionally involved. I'm not excusing them of anything. Just saying that if you've been a Nintendo customer for a reasonable length of time, you know this is how they operate. They take their time and are very fiscally conservative, which is why they have so much saved money in the bank, and why they are a rather stable company, despite operating in an extremely unstable market. I'm not forcing you to approve, you're free to vote with your wallet, and if Nintendo gets hit hard because they failed to adapt to the needs of their consumers, that's a lesson they'll have to learn the hard way.
I'm perfectly calm, I'm simply being both blunt and emphatic.

The problem is that, as a Nintendo customer, I have major issues with the way they treat their account systems and customers. I shouldn't have to call Nintendo if I lose my 3DS just to get access to the games I bought, on another system. I should be able to back up saves to the cloud. I should be able to have multiple systems. I can and will criticize these shortcomings because they're really poor. I should be able to buy Nintendo consoles because of great online, not in spite of it.

By saying it's unreasonable to expect them to fix this given their situation, it absolves them of having made poor design decisions and the need to fix them, and soon. It is excusing them by literally giving excuses for why it's not done instead of accepting it isn't despite their ability otherwise.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
By saying it's unreasonable to expect them to fix this given their situation, it absolves them of having made poor design decisions and the need to fix them, and soon. It is excusing them by literally giving excuses for why it's not done instead of accepting it isn't despite their ability otherwise.

I never said that nor meant to imply it. They will fix it, it'll just take them more time than some would like.

I never said that nor meant to imply it. They will fix it, it'll just take them more time than some would like.
Sorry, I should have been more clear that I was speaking to the fix and how long it would take to change, as you had discussed, and not that it wouldn't happen at all. Poor phrasing on my part.

fred

Am I wrong for loving the gamepad? I seriously don't have a problem with it.

Still no update in UK, unless it auto updated?

Nope, not wrong at all mate. Like I've mentioned on another page the vast majority of people complaining about the GamePad haven't used it. Just having a map displayed on it so that you can see it without pausing the game and Off-TV Play alone are worth their weight in gold for a great deal of people.

I've often been playing a game on my PS3 or 360 wishing that I had a touchscreen on the controller. It's made certain games - Arkham City, Rayman Legends, Deus Ex and Splinter Cell Blacklist are the best examples - a much better experience on the Wii U imo.

L~A

So save data on an external harddrive can't be transferred to a new Wii U correct?

Yes it can. Just let the drive plugged in while doing the system transfer, and when it's done, plug it in on the new console, and everything will be available.

A bit like how you put the SD from your previous 3DS into your new 3DS after doing a system transfer, actually!

zruben

Banned
people still believing that the digital purchases are tied ONLY to the console has to be intentional ignorance at this point.

Davey Cakes

people still believing that the digital purchases are tied ONLY to the console has to be intentional ignorance at this point.
It's also potentially a case of "all or nothing" when it comes to completely replicating how the other companies do it.

Since you still have to jump through a couple of hoops to recover your account-tied game licenses, it might as well still be considered an "improper account system."

Oh well. At least Nintendo is making progress. People just won't accept anything other than absolute parity though.

jaxpunk

FFFFFF First world problems. I'm so well off I have mutiple houses and wii u's. Why doesn't Nintendo think of me when they are issuing updates.

For real that's terrible you have to play vanilla MK8.

Or more likely, people learned about how it worked initially and have yet to read otherwise. It's not difficult to imagine at all. How long has the average consumer thought the Xbox One still had DRM, or the WiiU was an accessory?

Seems weird to say that anyone not up on how an eccentric account system has changed is intentionally or maliciously ignorant.

I really really want N64 VC and folders. Ideally, I'd rather just have a VC app that stores all of my purchased games in that. Maybe with a cover flow! That would be pretty cool.

zruben

Banned
Or more likely, people learned about how it worked initially and have yet to read otherwise. It's not difficult to imagine at all. How long has the average consumer thought the Xbox One still had DRM, or the WiiU was an accessory?

Seems weird to say that anyone not up on how an eccentric account system has changed is intentionally or maliciously ignorant.

I just said intentionally ignorant, not maliciously.

maybe it's just me, but If I'm gonna complain about something, I just google it first to check my facts before... it takes about 20 seconds. Not doing that it's choosing to be ignorant.

and well, in this thread, many posters have debunked that info several times, and people are selectively ignoring those posts just to keep complaining. Again, intentionally.

I am expecting Wii U Lite without a controller any day now. It seems they are moving more and more away from forcing Gamepad use.

and well, in this thread, many posters have debunked that info several times, and people are selectively ignoring those posts just to keep complaining. Again, intentionally.

But nobody's suggesting that Nintendo don't know exactly which account each game was purchased with, it's just that they keep that information to themselves. From an end-user's perspective, anything bought on a particular console is only ever going to be playable on that specific console.

Okay, this new thing of being able clone the state of one console and move it to another is a step in the right direction, but it's still a supremely flawed way of doing things, and they've still got a long, long way to go before they have parity with their rivals.

The Boat

It seems the update fixed a bug where my Wii U crashed when playing disc games, so I might not need to send it in after all!
Edit: scratch that, no it didn't. Well, at least I won't lose my saves again.

I am expecting Wii U Lite without a controller any day now. It seems they are moving more and more away from forcing Gamepad use.

Not seeing it happen any time soon tbh.

A Gamepad-less SKU would mean:

- Titles already released/in development that require a Gamepad (ZombiU, Nintendo Land, etc) would be unplayable (unless heavily patched I guess)

- They'll have to start selling -individual- Gamepads so that all titles in system's library are playable.

Are they really willing to exclude a bunch of titles from the system's library, just to be able to lower the retail price?

System is slowly building a solid library and people are getting used to the System/Gamepad setup I think.

What's the point complicating matters even more?

ozfunghi

Sure... and veering straight into PS360 territory without the one thing that sets it apart from those consoles. People that want to play the exclusives, will get the console regardless (besides, how much cheaper do you expect them to sell it?), and those that are not interested in those games, are never going to pick it over the old HD twins, with or without the gamepad.

Further splitting their userbase seems like the dumbest thing they can do right now.

Yes it can. Just let the drive plugged in while doing the system transfer, and when it's done, plug it in on the new console, and everything will be available.

A bit like how you put the SD from your previous 3DS into your new 3DS after doing a system transfer, actually!
Awesome thanks!

SerTapTap

Nope, not wrong at all mate. Like I've mentioned on another page the vast majority of people complaining about the GamePad haven't used it. Just having a map displayed on it so that you can see it without pausing the game and Off-TV Play alone are worth their weight in gold for a great deal of people.

I've often been playing a game on my PS3 or 360 wishing that I had a touchscreen on the controller. It's made certain games - Arkham City, Rayman Legends, Deus Ex and Splinter Cell Blacklist are the best examples - a much better experience on the Wii U imo.

The problem with "gamepad only eshop" wasn't "gamepad is worst thing evar" it was "oh I'm playing Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze but let me check the eSho--oh. I am using the pro controller right now. I am not currently allowed to give Nintendo money."

It was patently absurd the eShop was gamepad only, especially since the gamepad's physical buttons worked. It had a controller UI already, they just only accepted gamepad inputs, and that's silly. I've gone to the eShop and quit because I'm using the "wrong" controller several times already.

Piccoro

FFFFFF First world problems. I'm so well off I have mutiple houses and wii u's. Why doesn't Nintendo think of me when they are issuing updates.

Lol, fair enough. :p
But keep in mind that Sony/Microsoft/Apple do allow for everything that's lacking on WiiU...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

To be fair, we've learned in this thread that there are cases where Nintendo's current policy does nothing to help certain people, whereas services from other providers do not have such issues or have them to a much lesser extent.

For example, a person moving out of their parents' house that wants to leave certain games and data for their younger siblings while transferring the rest to a new console currently has no solution.

While I absolutely agree it is a first world problem, I'd like to point out that this type of situation was never a problem before the arrival of digital content. For example, if I wanted to take my MK save data with me to a friend's Gamecube, it was as simple as bringing along a memory card. Moving saves between different consoles was equally simple.

MilesTeg

Banned
I would actually be all for a Gamepad free SKU because my console will no longer read discs. A cheap replacement would be great, now I can transfer my digital purchases.

I just said intentionally ignorant, not maliciously.

maybe it's just me, but If I'm gonna complain about something, I just google it first to check my facts before... it takes about 20 seconds. Not doing that it's choosing to be ignorant.

Nintendo's current policy does shit to people that can't call them. Maybe it's you that should read more about the issue. Nintendo does not care about places other than NA, some parts of Europe and Japan.

Does this apply to a single NNID transfer as well? I'll need to call up Nintendo to transfer my NNID but I'd love to save my saves as well since I put a lot of time into MK8 on my friend's system.

M3d10n

Nintendo's current policy does shit to people that can't call them. Maybe it's you that should read more about the issue. Nintendo does not care about places other than NA, some parts of Europe and Japan.

Correct. You aren't even supposed to be able to purchase digital games without lying about your country of residence in the system settings, so they don't care if you need to make an international call in a different language to move an account to another console.

Does this apply to a single NNID transfer as well? I'll need to call up Nintendo to transfer my NNID but I'd love to save my saves as well since I put a lot of time into MK8 on my friend's system.

You're not going to get your save transferred, forget about it. The encryption key is system-wide, not NNID-specific and Nintendo CS cannot decrypt an individual save and move it over to another console remotely. They'll need a big update to make such thing possible.

Flintty

As a late adopter and previously of the opinion 'why would I need a lame tablet ripoff' I love it! Off TV play is massive for me and I have even been using it for web browsing and youtube. I love the 'x' button curtains on the TV :)

I get why people don't want to have to use it for the store though.

You're not going to get your save transferred, forget about it. The encryption key is system-wide, not NNID-specific and Nintendo CS cannot decrypt an individual save and move it over to another console remotely. They'll need a big update to make such thing possible.

Was still holding out with hope :(

Damn. Well does this at least mean I can redeem my free CN game on someone else's Wii U under my own NNID and take my purchase with me after a call to CS and transfer?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Could you explain the rationale behind using a system dependant encryption key? This wasn't the case on Wii. Is it an anti piracy measure?

With every passing update I just get reminded that Nintendo promised N64 VC back in like....January 2013. Jeeeezus. Have they ever mentioned it again? Will it ever actually happen? Will they just pretend they never said anything in the first place?

With every passing update I just get reminded that Nintendo promised N64 VC back in like....January 2013. Jeeeezus. Have they ever mentioned it again? Will it ever actually happen? Will they just pretend they never said anything in the first place?
They never said it in the first place.

zruben

Banned
But nobody's suggesting that Nintendo don't know exactly which account each game was purchased with, it's just that they keep that information to themselves. From an end-user's perspective, anything bought on a particular console is only ever going to be playable on that specific console.

Okay, this new thing of being able clone the state of one console and move it to another is a step in the right direction, but it's still a supremely flawed way of doing things, and they've still got a long, long way to go before they have parity with their rivals.

totally agree. it's just another baby step towards the right direction.
Still, my point was that people are claiming that the virtual purchases are tied ONLY to the hardware, and that is misinformation.

To be fair, we've learned in this thread that there are cases where Nintendo's current policy does nothing to help certain people, whereas services from other providers do not have such issues or have them to a much lesser extent.

For example, a person moving out of their parents' house that wants to leave certain games and data for their younger siblings while transferring the rest to a new console currently has no solution.

While I absolutely agree it is a first world problem, I'd like to point out that this type of situation was never a problem before the arrival of digital content. For example, if I wanted to take my MK save data with me to a friend's Gamecube, it was as simple as bringing along a memory card. Moving saves between different consoles was equally simple.

well, those are very specific cases, and basically what those people want are to share their games with friends and family. A thing that SADLY, Nintendo strict DRM don't allow.

I love that feature about PS3, but even there, it has a limit of two consoles per PSN account. If I'm picky about it, I can complain that I want to share games with two friends/brothers and can't.

and I totally agree with the thing about the game saves. I guess they locked the save transfers to avoid hacks like the Wii. It's stupid and unfair for the end-user.

It's a very valid complain, I am aware of it and I agree with you 100% that Nintendo current policy is crap... but that was not the point of my post.

Digital purchases are tied to the NNiD?. Yes. That's a fact and a lot of people are still ignoring it.
Customer support is shitty in some cases/countries?... Yes. But that's a whole different issue that I don't intent to discuss.

People, I'm not defending Nintendo, I still think that their policies are stupid and over complicated, I just don't like misinformation.

Top Bottom