• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

mike4001_

Always excited for new system updates.

Even if they add something I do not seed :D

There is just the home that some internal processes run faster or have less bugs and so on ;)

Aswell

I was expecting the update to be automatically installed on my Wii U this morning (wasn't this one of the new features of the 5.0 firmware?) but it was still in 5.0 when I turned it on a few minutes ago.
Anyway, I updated manually to 5.1.

flohen95

I'm sorry for the double post, but I have to ask this, it's important to me:

Is it still NOT possible to copy save files from one Wii U to another Wii U, like we were discussing in this thread?:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525282

You can't copy them. You can move them, though, which is done by putting them on a USB storage device on the original system, then doing a system transfer and plugging the USB storage device into the new system onto which the data has been transferred.

Piccoro

You can't copy them. You can move them, though, which is done by putting them on a USB storage device on the original system, then doing a system transfer and plugging the USB storage device into the new system onto which the data has been transferred.

You're talking about Wii U game saves, not Wii, right?
And that system transfer you mentioned, is it the one from today's update?

Sendou

I was expecting the update to be automatically installed on my Wii U this morning (wasn't this one of the new features of the 5.0 firmware?) but it was still in 5.0 when I turned it on a few minutes ago.
Anyway, I updated manually to 5.1.

It doesn't update right away obviously. I bet the feature is designed to update in waves to avoid bringing down Nintendo's servers.

Aswell

It doesn't update right away obviously. I bet the feature is designed to update in waves to avoid bringing down Nintendo's servers.
Oh I see. You're probably right. I forgot the fact there could be issues with the servers if a lot of systems were updating simultaneously.

ozfunghi

You're talking about Wii U game saves, not Wii, right?
And that system transfer you mentioned, is it the one from today's update?

You can't copy savegames to another Wii U. You can however "migrate" your entire Wii U account (including savegames) to a new Wii U... but obviously the original Wii U will be wiped.

ThaGuy

I wish that Nintendo does something with Wii U chat/messaging system. Its a real hassle to get people to go to Miiverse and talk to them. At least a party chat system will help out alot.

Piccoro

You can't copy savegames to another Wii U. You can however "migrate" your entire Wii U account (including savegames) to a new Wii U... but obviously the original Wii U will be wiped.

The original Wii U gets wiped AND the new Wii U also gets wiped, I imagine? Or the saves get merged on the new console?

WillyFive

So stupid that we have to transfer all the NNID's in a system instead if a specific one. If you shared a Wii U with someone, and that someon wants to have their own Wii U for their house, then your ID has to come with them. That's stupid.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The original Wii U gets wiped AND the new Wii U also gets wiped, I imagine? Or the saves get merged on the new console?

Took me a couple readings to figure it out. The info in the OP relates to cases where you already have two Wii Us with separate NNIDs and separate game data and save data on them, i.e. neither Wii Us are new.

In that case the account data, game data and save data from the source console replaces the account data, game data and save data on the target console. Preexisting saves on the target console are lost forever, but pre existing NNIDs can be relinked after the transfer is complete which allows you to redownload pre existing games that were on the target console.
Unlike Wii U data, Wii data on the target console is not written over but merged with Wii data from the source console.

After all that is done, all data on the source console is deleted.

Tl;dr: Best to transfer from an old Wii U to a new out-of-the-box Wii U that hasn't been used yet, in order to not lose saves on the new Wii U.

AzaK

Wii U to Wii U transfer wasn't there from the start!?

Nope, I was needing this feature but it just wasn't there. I'm glad I didn't just bite the bullet and lost all my saves.

However, I do wish it'd have saved the target Wii U's NNID's as that was important to me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
does this mean i can buy a deluxe version console and transfer everything from my white console a-ok? or does it not transfer NNid?

read my post above. As long as you're transferring to a new out-of-the-box Wii U, nothing is lost.

if you're transferring to a used Wii U, the only thing that is lost is save data on the target console. NNID on the target console are written over but can be relinked, allowing you to redownload any games that were purchased with those NNIDs.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Isn't account migration what has been introduced with this update?

EDIT: I now noticed that it's not an easy way for who has multiple accounts

There's no problem for a user with multiple accounts, if they're on the same console.

The only problems are for a user with accounts on more than one console, and for users with different accounts sharing a console. Are such cases really that common?

Piccoro

Took me a couple readings to figure it out. The info in the OP relates to cases where you already have two Wii Us with separate NNIDs and separate game data and save data on them, i.e. neither Wii Us are new.

In that case the account data, game data and save data from the source console replaces the account data, game data and save data on the target console. Preexisting saves on the target console are lost forever, but pre existing NNIDs can be relinked after the transfer is complete which allows you to redownload pre existing games that were on the target console.
Unlike Wii U data, Wii data on the target console is not written over but merged with Wii data from the source console.

After all that is done, all data on the source console is deleted.

Tl;dr: Best to transfer from an old Wii U to a new out-of-the-box Wii U that hasn't been used yet, in order to not lose saves on the new Wii U.

Thank you for the explanation. Here's my situation:

Last year my brother bought a WiiU (console + Wind Waker HD pack). He created a new NNID. Let's call this Console A.
A few months ago he won a WiiU + MK8 on a MK8 contest. He created a second NNID, because the first NNID can only be used in one console. Let's call this Console B.

Now, both Console A and Console B are being used. Console B is in my brother's house, Console A is in my sister's house. Now my brother wants to transfer his WWHD+game save from Console A to Console B. I just learned today that Wii U game saves CANNOT be transferred to another console, so the only solution I see it is to perform today's update system transfer, Console A to Console B. BUT all the game saves from Console B will be deleted!

So I think it would be easier to just physically replace one console for another, that way all the game saves from both consoles will be intact.
So I think this method of today's update is kinda useless.

There's no problem for a user with multiple accounts, if they're on the same console.

The only problems are for a user with accounts on more than one console, and for users with different accounts sharing a console. Are such cases really that common?

Users with different accounts sharing a console? I'd say that's super-common! Unless the console is only ever used by a single person in the household, there's surely going to be multiple accounts on there.

Common enough to be designed and accommodated by every other modern account system.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Common enough to be designed and accommodated by every other modern account system.
fair enough, I only own a PC (along with older Nintendo consoles) so I wasn't in the know.

Users with different accounts sharing a console? I'd say that's super-common! Unless the console is only ever used by a single person in the household, there's surely going to be multiple accounts on there.

Ahh, I guess something like a kid moving out of their parents home but still wanting to leave a console for their younger siblings while getting a new one for themselves. Makes sense.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
So I think it would be easier to just physically replace one console for another, that way all the game saves from both consoles will be intact.

Not sure what you mean by physically replace one console for another. If I understand correctly you want to end up with a single Wii U that has all the data from both A and B? What data (if any) do you want there to be on the other console?

Regardless, you should contact Nintendo's support before trying anything on your own, as they might be able to help you retain save data. They've been known to occasionally make an effort if they can.

You can't transfer save data and you can't move individual NNIDs off the Wii U? Still requires both systems present?

That's almost useful if you don't think about it.

Edit: misread the first bit. Still not impressed though

fair enough, I only own a PC (along with older Nintendo consoles) so I wasn't in the know.l
It's beyond just gaming though. I can sign into a new Kindle, Android phone or tablet, and have not only all of my account information but all of my purchases pulled down without having to have any previous devices. Things getting stolen or lost is not a rare occurrence, and I won't need to plead with support for Amazon or Google and furnish a police report to get my stuff onto a different device. I can just do it myself.

Nintendo isn't just behind the eightball in the gaming sphere, but everywhere, with their account implementation.

I mean, you have a PC. Through Steam, Origin, or Uplay you can download your games to any new computer by just signing in. (Individual games may have their own restrictions, but the services and accounts don't.) It's like that everywhere.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You can't transfer save data and you can't move individual NNIDs off the Wii U? Still requires both systems present?

That's almost useful if you don't think about it.

save data is transferred.

It's beyond just gaming though. I can sign into a new Kindle, Android phone or tablet, and have not only all of my account information but all of my purchases pulled down without having to have any previous devices. Things getting stolen or lost is not a rare occurrence, and I won't need to plead with support for Amazon or Google and furnish a police report to get my stuff onto a different device. I can just do it myself.

Nintendo isn't just behind the eightball in the gaming sphere, but everywhere, with their account implementation.

I mean, you have a PC. Through Steam, Origin, or Uplay you can download your games to any new computer by just signing in. (Individual games may have their own restrictions, but the services and accounts don't.) It's like that everywhere.

I agree with you that there's still room for improvement. As you say, if your console is stolen this transfer process doesn't help you. Nintendo are known to help people with stolen consoles, but save data would be lost because it isn't backed up in the cloud. I don't know how many people back up all their phone data on the cloud either, so if you lost a phone you'd still lose photos or video recordings made on the device. As far as being behind everywhere, I disagree. I was given my dad's iPad as a hand-me-down, and to this day there are still apps of his he can't use on his newer iPad because they wouldn't transfer, and I still have to carry around tons of his personal data that wasn't automatically moved to the new device. I'm not excusing Nintendo, but they are making steady progress and continue to do so. I have faith that they'll get everything right before their next line of hardware appears.

I'm really just in total awe that Nintendo added a fucking full system transfer instead of unlocking these totally fucking pointless NNIDs. System transfer was an acceptable solution for the 3DS. It is totally backwards for a system with user accounts and it genuinely makes me angry that this is a thing. The only practical use for an NNID is to link wallets between a 3DS and a Wii U... They really just don't get it.

Jackano

Except there is.

What's lacking is that purchases aren't tied to them.

Purchases are tied to them. From what I understand, the problem is that the delivery and anti-piracy method of the digital content makes it encrypted by the system's UID, not your account NNID.
For some reaosn this just become clear to me moments ago. Will like some tech-GAF advice on that matter!

If true, I don't see how they could change that before next-generation.

rezn0r

I agree with you that there's still room for improvement. As you say, if your console is stolen this transfer process doesn't help you. Nintendo are known to help people with stolen consoles, but save data would be lost because it isn't backed up in the cloud. I don't know how many people back up all their phone data on the cloud either, so if you lost a phone you'd still lose photos or video recordings made on the device. As far as being behind everywhere, I disagree. I was given my dad's iPad as a hand-me-down, and to this day there are still apps of his he can't use on his newer iPad because they wouldn't transfer, and I still have to carry around tons of his personal data that wasn't automatically moved to the new device. I'm not excusing Nintendo, but they are making steady progress and continue to do so. I have faith that they'll get everything right before their next line of hardware appears.

Not trying to shit on N and this looks like a good update, and I agree that they are making steady progress.

That being said, it's almost depressing how far behind they still are in 2014. The iPad apps don't work because iOS (Apple's) changes, it's like (this is a stretch I know) wondering why a 16 bit app you used in XP won't work on Windows 8. Almost everyone I know has their phones media automatically backed up, whether it's through G+, Dropbox, iCloud, or a pile of other methods. If you don't enable those (even if it's just on wifi!) it's your fault for losing all that with a lost phone. Back to big N - I love them, I want them to continue being great but not having purchases and even save games tied to personal accounts is completely insane. Sorry.

Nintendo are known to help people with stolen consoles, but save data would be lost because it isn't backed up in the cloud. I don't know how many people back up all their phone data on the cloud either, so if you lost a phone you'd still lose photos or video recordings made on the device.
No hard numbers, but anecdotally, everyone I know with a smartphone uses Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Apple's equivalent. The point being that there's choice and an option, which isn't there for Nintendo platforms. It's kind of a false equivalency to point to phones like that.

As far as being behind everywhere, I disagree. I was given my dad's iPad as a hand-me-down, and to this day there are still apps of his he can't use on his newer iPad because they wouldn't transfer, and I still have to carry around tons of his personal data that wasn't automatically moved to the new device.
It sounds like you're conflating separate issues. As far as I'm aware, the only reasons an app wouldn't come forward are either due to bring pulled from the app store, or because of incompatibilities with newer iOS or device specs. That's an app issue, not an ecosystem issue. Again, you still have the ability, which makes it just bizarre to point to something not equivalent and treat it as such. It's the same for personal data. Anything tired to his Apple ID will come forward AFAIK, but info inside apps may not -- again, that's likely an app issue, not an ecosystem issue.

People saying "Nintendo is doomed if they allow you to link you account to any system!" makes my laugh every single time, because Sony / Valve / Google (Android)
(the ones that I remember)
got screwed when letting people sign-in on another consoles / computers / cellphones / tablets, right? Smh.

Mael

Thank you for the explanation. Here's my situation:

Last year my brother bought a WiiU (console + Wind Waker HD pack). He created a new NNID. Let's call this Console A.
A few months ago he won a WiiU + MK8 on a MK8 contest. He created a second NNID, because the first NNID can only be used in one console. Let's call this Console B.

Now, both Console A and Console B are being used. Console B is in my brother's house, Console A is in my sister's house. Now my brother wants to transfer his WWHD+game save from Console A to Console B. I just learned today that Wii U game saves CANNOT be transferred to another console, so the only solution I see it is to perform today's update system transfer, Console A to Console B. BUT all the game saves from Console B will be deleted!

Can't you just backup the saves on an external HDD THEN merge the accounts and finally import the saves?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No hard numbers, but anecdotally, everyone I know with a smartphone uses Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Apple's equivalent. The point being that there's choice and an option, which isn't there for Nintendo platforms. It's kind of a false equivalency to point to phones like that.
Fair point about the choice. Nintendo need to have an option that allows users to back up their save data and other local content.

It sounds like you're conflating separate issues. As far as I'm aware, the only reasons an app wouldn't come forward are either due to bring pulled from the app store, or because of incompatibilities with newer iOS or device specs.That's an app issue, not an ecosystem issue. Again, you still have the ability, which makes it just bizarre to point to something not equivalent and treat it as such. It's the same for personal data. Anything tired to his Apple ID will come forward AFAIK, but info inside apps may not -- again, that's likely an app issue, not an ecosystem issue.
I'm talking about apps that are still regularly supported and compatible with all relevant versions of iOS. But I'll grant you it's probably not a result of an ecosystem wide issue and has more to do with individual cases that are the exception rather than the norm. It may just be bad luck that in my father's case many of his apps were affected.

edit: But I think the bigger issue here is that Apple and Google are companies hundreds of times the size of Nintendo, and making way more money, not to mention the fact that Nintendo is probably reluctant to overspend in a time when they are already operating at a loss, even though maybe they should since they were late to enter the digital age. Is it legitimate as a consumer to expect a uniform standard of operation across different digital devices? Yes. Is it reasonable to expect small companies with limited resources to adapt to changes in this standard as quickly as huge companies with way more resources? I don't think it is. Nintendo are making progress in the right direction. And part of that progress includes hiring more programmers and building a better OS team so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again in the future.

Piccoro

Not sure what you mean by physically replace one console for another. If I understand correctly you want to end up with a single Wii U that has all the data from both A and B? What data (if any) do you want there to be on the other console?

Regardless, you should contact Nintendo's support before trying anything on your own, as they might be able to help you retain save data. They've been known to occasionally make an effort if they can.

No, in my case I will be keeping BOTH consoles, in two different houses. Because I want the digital Wind Waker that is in console A, I will just switch one console from another. That way all the saves will be intact in both consoles.
If I do the system transfer, the saves will only be in ONE console, and get deleted in the other.
The only downside is that the saves from B can never transfer to A or vice-versa. And A and B will have separate NNID's.
NNID's should be like PSN accounts: You can login in any console, not just one at a time!

Can't you just backup the saves on an external HDD THEN merge the accounts and finally import the saves?
No as the HDD will be not be readable due to the encryption key (set by console) not matching as it is changed to the source system upon transfer to target. i.e.:

Console A>B. Hard drive on A can be read saves from B gone
B>A. Hard drive on B can be read saves from A gone

Simply put if you want to keep the saves from B while gaining Winder Waker there is no solution to go B>A (lose wind waker save) *wait a week* A>B.

Somnid

People saying "Nintendo is doomed if they allow you to link you account to any system!" makes my laugh every single time, because Sony / Valve / Google (Android)
(the ones that I remember)
got screwed when letting people sign-in on another consoles / computers / cellphones / tablets, right? Smh.

Keeping your CC info, contacts, email etc tied to an account is a good sharing deterrent. Also Sony used to be a lot more liberal about it and clamped down hard in the later PS3 era. I'm not arguing that it can't be more lucrative for the business overall but there are factors that make this more case-by-case.

Piccoro

What I read was that, if you backup the saves to a HDD, that HDD only works in the first Wii U. If you try to connect the HDD to a second Wii U it will ask to format the HDD, thus erasing the saves.
And what do you mean merge accounts. Is that possible?

Top Bottom