• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Captain Falcon's Twister Race, Octopus Dance and Yoshi's Fruit Cart have been revealed as the final three of the 12 mini-games featured in Nintendo Land.

Captain Falcon's Twister Race is a single-player attraction in which users hold the narrow end of the Wii U GamePad upright with both hands to guide a high-speed wind-up vehicle toward the finish line.
Octopus Dance is a single-player, rhythm-based attraction also using the Wii U GamePad. Players must instantly memorise the movement of the character on screen and re-enact the poses using the control sticks or gyro sensor.

Finally, Yoshi's Fruit Cart is a brain-teasing single-player attraction in which players guide Yoshi's cart towards the goal while collecting fruit, which is visible on the TV but not on the GamePad.

Source?

If true, I see why they have been so hush hush on these games. They sound rather... lackluster.

Penguin

Link?

If true, I see why they have been so hush hush on these games. Sound pretty lackluster.

650x.jpg

Not sure if banned

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Since I cant post new threads anymore I will dump this here. This is something that should be posted aas a news article itself and not hidden in the thread.. If someone wants to post this than feel free!

Though Elite is free to other platforms now, it’s not coming to Wii U … yet. Nevin Dravinski, producer Call of Duty Black Ops II, says that there is no current plans to bring it to Wii U at the moment. But he said Treyarch will come back to the issue again if there’s a huge demand for it on the system. As for Wii U online play itself, players don’t have to worry about an Xbox Live Gold-type subscription fee. Online play will be free out of the box. No additional purchases after you pick up the game.

Now for Core players of Modern Warfare this is a MAJORLY disappointing. In fact so much that I feel it will turn away many sales from the Wii-U version. Casuals might not give a crap but Core players love these stats and services. So BLOP2 isnt the same across all platforms once again.. A Major feature is being left out as far as I am concerned.

source:

Shabutaro

probably a thousand years old now, but has anyone seen the wii u solution bundle at walmart? Its a pretty remarkable deal. I dont know if its still up though, because I cant add to cart or anything

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So best buy cancelled my Wii U deluxe preorder. Pretty pissed off about that. What should I do to ensure I could get one at launch? At this point I don't care if it is not the Deluxe Bundle, I just want a Wii U in the house.

Walmart has pre-orders till Nov 1st...

GameE

Since I cant post new threads anymore I will dump this here. This is something that should be posted aas a news article itself and not hidden in the thread.. If someone wants to post this than feel free!

Now for Core players of Modern Warfare this is a MAJORLY disappointing. In fact so much that I feel it will turn away many sales from the Wii-U version. Casuals might not give a crap but Core players love these stats and services. So BLOP2 isnt the same across all platforms once again.. A Major feature is being left out as far as I am concerned.

source:

what about this?
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/10/15/3506198/call-of-duty-elite-dlc-wii-u

mxgt

Banned
Probably been asked a whole load of times but is there any point going for 32 over 8 when you can just buy a cheap external hdd/flash drive and use that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Probably been asked a whole load of times but is there any point going for 32 over 8 when you can just buy a cheap external hdd/flash drive and use that?

In terms of pack? The Premium has Nintendo Land, charging cradle for the pad, and a handful of other extras including the eShop rebate thingo.

But if storage is your concern it's more economical to go 8GB and get a big USB HDD.

Anyone else kind of feeling console fatigue right now with the WiiU's launch looming closer? The PC scene is getting hotter with Steam already being awesome and some of my anticipated games coming to it that will run better (Lords of Shadow 2 and maybe LOS1), there's a lot I don't care for about 360 so I jumped at that double trade credit thing at Gamestop weeks ago, and now I'm having a hard time staying interested in anything I play on PS3.

It could be that I'm not quite as interested in videogames as I used to be, I've thought that for a while, but then I'll play something that appeals to me greatly and bam, I'm back in the game. So I'm not sure how true that is. But I am feeling a lot of uninterest in current-gen systems aside from PC, and with the WiiU coming out and how fresh that will hopefully be, I'm finding myself not really playing as much right now and just looking forward to that.

I'm not saying the WiiU will be the end all, be all gaming platform, but I think I am simply ready for something new.

Shabutaro

I think the appeal for most people here is the color and the bundled game. But for a rather typical consumer I don't know if they intend to invest in more memory. Not because they wont need it, but probably because they wont know it out there. Unless of course theres a nintendo brand external. So 32 gb in the system is more appealing than 8. It sounds better off the bat I suppose.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So best buy cancelled my Wii U deluxe preorder. Pretty pissed off about that. What should I do to ensure I could get one at launch? At this point I don't care if it is not the Deluxe Bundle, I just want a Wii U in the house.

This scares me since I pre-ordered from Best Buy Canada, online.

No where else has the 32GB Deluxe Wii U for me to pre-order as well in case.

Bumhead

Banned

If hard drive space is your only consideration then no.

Im getting Premium over Basic for a few reasons but the extra GB isn't one of them. I plan on hooking up an external 1TB drive as soon as I get the system.

mxgt

Banned
In terms of pack? The Premium has Nintendo Land, charging cradle for the pad, and a handful of other extras including the eShop rebate thingo.

But if storage is your concern it's more economical to go 8GB and get a big USB HDD.

I guess they could foresee people skimping on the 32 and just buying an external if both packages were the same but with different storage.

Ah well, premium it is. Thanks

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yikes.

I'll try and wait for footage/hands-on/screens to make a final opinion, but those three events sound like a large notch below the rest.

Well, what could have Fzero been? We also saw preliminary footage of it.
You drive the vehicle, moving the gamepad.

Yoshi's game doesn't sound so "lazy" compared to a textual description of other Land minigames, imho. And could be interesting to play this tricky asimmetrical gameplay

I'm not so interested in Octopus that reminds me about Shield Pose (and I didn't like it from the beginning)

Ein Bear

I really can't wait for Digital Foundry or whoever to get hold of the Wii U ports of multiplatform games. I still can't decide if I should pre-order AC3 and S&AR:T for the Wii U or my PS3. The Wii U versions should be better... but I'm always dubious about the effort that goes into launch day ports.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone else kind of feeling console fatigue right now with the WiiU's launch looming closer? The PC scene is getting hotter with Steam already being awesome and some of my anticipated games coming to it that will run better (Lords of Shadow 2 and maybe LOS1), there's a lot I don't care for about 360 so I jumped at that double trade credit thing at Gamestop weeks ago, and now I'm having a hard time staying interested in anything I play on PS3.

It could be that I'm not quite as interested in videogames as I used to be, I've thought that for a while, but then I'll play something that appeals to me greatly and bam, I'm back in the game. So I'm not sure how true that is. But I am feeling a lot of uninterest in current-gen systems aside from PC, and with the WiiU coming out and how fresh that will hopefully be, I'm finding myself not really playing as much right now and just looking forward to that.

I'm not saying the WiiU will be the end all, be all gaming platform, but I think I am simply ready for something new.

Partly. But I think thats more down to the lack of big technological leap forward that the tech-whore in you looks forward to, plus the relatively lacklustre launch lineup.

This time next year we'll all be frothing over the PS4/720 (at least I hope we will be).

AzaK

Depends how much you will download really. I'm getting premium because it just seemed most economical even if I will only ever use 32GB.

Premium + sd card + NintendoLand is a bit more expensive that Premium bundle here in NZ. Seeing as I won't download retail games it's possible 32GB will suffice for the generation for me (40GB PS3 was OK), and if not that's when I'll likely add an SD card. I want to avoid a drive dangling out of the thing if I can help it.

Skiesofwonder

Well, what could have Fzero been? We also saw preliminary footage of it.
You drive the vehicle, moving the gamepad.

Yoshi's game doesn't sound so "lazy" compared to a textual description of other Land minigames, imho. And could be interesting to play this tricky asimmetrical gameplay

I'm not so interested in Octopus that reminds me about Shield Pose (and I didn't like it from the beginning)

I'll admit they could end up being good, but the text descriptions don't give much to desire, especially when compared to the descriptions for Metroid, Mario, and Pikimin.

F-Zero sounds extremely simple, like a move left and right to dodge type thing with no control over acceleration. I expected more then that at least.

Octopus Dance sounds like a glorified Rhythm Heaven mini-level.

Yoshi is up in the air. It sounds like it could be a spirtual successor to Yoshi Touch and Go, which I would be happy with. But brain-teasing makes me wonder if it is just a list of certain inputs tied to the fruits that needed to be inputted to collect, which would be more like Donkey Kong Jr. math.

All of them being single-player is also concerning (IMO).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Going off the information we have on it, it IS Shield Pose...

yes, it probably is. I don't know why but I remember to have read somewhere that Pose Shiled was transformed into a Game&Wario minigame.

I'll admit they could end up being good, but the text descriptions don't give much to desire, especially when compared to the descriptions for Metroid, Mario, and Pikimin.

F-Zero sounds extremely simple, like a move left and right to dodge type thing with no control over acceleration. I expected more then that at least.

Octopus Dance sounds like a glorified Rhythm Heaven mini-level.

Yoshi is up in the air. It sounds like it could be a spirtual successor to Yoshi Touch and Go, which I would be happy with. But brain-teasing makes me wonder if it is just a list of certain inputs tied to the fruits that needed to be inputted to collect, which would be more like Donkey Kong Jr. math.

All of them being single-player is also concerning (IMO).

to clarify: I'm not saying they are good. I just think that those textual descriptions aren't interesting at all for all the games, while I'm liking some of the Land minigames I've seen so far.

If in Fzero I cant control accelleration, me too I'll be disappointed for example. Simply I don't think that those descriptions are enough to have a clear idea of the final games.

Btw, DK Land minigame is single player only but I really liked it when I tried the demo, for example.

BlankaBR

Banned
I really can't wait for Digital Foundry or whoever to get hold of the Wii U ports of multiplatform games. I still can't decide if I should pre-order AC3 and S&AR:T for the Wii U or my PS3. The Wii U versions should be better... but I'm always dubious about the effort that goes into launch day ports.
Same thing for me about getting blops 2

Skiesofwonder

to clarify: I'm not saying they are good. I just think that those textual descriptions aren't interesting at all for all the games, while I'm liking some of the Land minigames I've seen so far.

If in Fzero I cant control accelleration, me too I'll be disappointed for example. Simply I don't think that those descriptions are enough to have a clear idea of the final games.

Btw, DK Land minigame is single player only but I really liked it when I tried the demo, for example.

So far the single-player experiences (Balloon Fight, Ninja Castle, Donkey Kong) look like neat experiences (I played DK and it was pretty fun), but they are something that I would most likely play no longer then two hours, similar to many iOS games I pick up for a dollar (or even free). The multi-player experiences are what's going to make NintendoLand shine (imo), just like Wii Sports.

Like I said earlier, I'll wait for impressions and my own playtime with these three mini-games before making a final judgement, but right now that is my knee-jerk reaction while reading their descriptions.

Banned
After seeing gameplay videos of madden 13 for the Wii U and drawing up plays on the game pad I am convinced enough to buy it. At least at Xmas. It's like a dream come true. I know it doesn't have the infinity engine but I haven't played madden in years so it won't matter to me. My launch window looks packed now.

Nintendoland (Launch)
NSMBU (Launch)
ZombiU (Xmas)
Madden 13 (Xmas)
Pikmin 3 (Q1 2013)
TW101 (Q1 2013)

Skiesofwonder

After seeing gameplay videos of madden 13 for the Wii U and drawing up plays on the game pad I am convinced enough to buy it. At least at Xmas. It's like a dream come true. I know it doesn't have the infinity engine but I haven't played madden in years so it won't matter to me. My launch window looks packed now.

Nintendoland (Launch)
NSMBU (Launch)
ZombiU (Xmas)
Madden 13 (Xmas)
Pikmin 3 (Q1 2013)
TW101 (Q1 2013)

Do you mind providing a link to this footage? I would love to see it. I'm still on the fence because of the lack of two gamerpad support.

madmackem

source:

Couldnt care less, never ever used elite and i am a pretty big od player on both ps3 and 360. Your over egging the pudding here, it will sell the least of the console versions anyway so i dont see it effecting many people at all people wont be buying wii u for cod, and id trade stat website for on pad multiplayer.

Penguin

Glad to see the world coming around to NintendoLand. Both times I've played it has been an absolute thrill

http://www.businessinsider.com/wii-u-hands-on-2012-10
: the Wii U is the most fun I've ever had playing games on a console hooked up to my TV.
I'm emphasizing fun. Not necessarily the best graphics (which are nevertheless great) or most in-depth storylines. Just loads and loads of unadulterated diversion.

http://kotaku.com/5952487/nintendo-...-a-glorified-instruction-manual-for-the-wii-u

I just played the Wii U's flagship game yesterday. Third time I've played it this year. And I liked it more than ever. I liked it for its multiplayer. I liked it for its single-player. I liked it because it seems to have some cool easter eggs for long-time Nintendo gamers. And I liked it because it seems like it's got way more good content than is implied by the Wii Sports comparison it invites.

The_Lump

Banned

source:

this article I posted was the next day after this news originally appeared. I am trying to get confirmation via twitter.

I really don't think that's threadworthy. There's no direct quote from the guy, and it seems like a bastardisation of the original news from the previous day.

The actual quote was more along the lines of "we're still waiting for details from Nintendo" than "no plans currently" wasn't it?

Now if you get clarification from them on twitter, then it's threadworthy. But right now it seems like an assumption on the part of the author rather than confirmation.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The continuing impressions on Nintendoland reassure me because it's the kind of game Nintendo should have made for the Wii, but failed to do so. The Iwata Asks remarks from the dev team seem to back this up - they expressed that there was a need for a game that straddled that 'blue ocean' accessibility with a more elaborate and in-depth experience.

There was much theorizing back in the early Wii days about the need for 'upmarket' Wii games. You got people into it with Wii Sports, and Wii Play. Then you offered bridge games that appealed to everyone, but gently drew those new customers upwards to a tier of more complex video games.

They actually achieved that with Mario Kart Wii. It was always cited as the perfect bridge Wii title, and its sales reflected that. It invited everyone in to play, but was a deep, complex game once you got good at it. And it had tons of content. 2D Mario also ended up acting as a bridge between mainstream and core gamer, and also pushed huge numbers.

But outside those two games, they sort of abandoned trying to make bridge titles. Wii Sports Resort was almost there, but still a bit too conservative. After that, there was basically nothing at all.

Anyway, I just suspect Wii U is going to need stuff like Nintendoland to keep drawing in the mainstream without pushing away the enthusiasts. Lotta enthusiast types have ended up being very disarmed by it, and come away happy.

The_Lump

Banned
Reading Iwata Asks: Gamepad

some incredible insights into the tech involved. We knew the pad doesn't process anything itself, but one thing that got me was how everything has to be compressed, go back to the console, be uncompressed, processed, recompressed and pinged back to the gamepad. Even drawing on the touchscreen: Sure it looks like you're drawing and its appearing immediately on the pad, but your input is having to ping to the console, be processed and pinged back to appear on screen - all almost instantaneously.

Doesn't sound like much, and its pretty obvious that this is how it was going to work - but when you think about it its kinda neat.

I really think having this in your hand and realising it's just a screen, not a handheld console, and the images are being processed elsewhere will be kinda cool. (not implying this hadn't been done before, before anyone jumps down my throat)

The_Lump

Banned
What the heck? That's an odd choice and a missed opportunity. Don't understand why they don't just run it in both markets. Now NOE is trumping NOA on ads too apparently.

Not to mention that it's not launching here in the UK until Nov 30th. Wouldn't make sense for us to get ads before the US when it launches there first....that can't be right?

jmizzal

nope we're getting another 3DS ND and we're all going to love it.

If we get another 3DS ND before WiiU im gonna run through the wall and post the video on youtube lol

We are a month away from NA WiiU launch time for the full on marketing blitz to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom