• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoJB

I think thats correct regarding the UK X Factor on Saturday, although if I recall correctly the general Wii U marketing starts today anyway.

On that note, are we still on for Best Buy supposedly having their demo units up and running today? Searched and couldn't find word on that... I'd like to stop by on the way home from work tonight if I can...

Rich!

Probably been asked a whole load of times but is there any point going for 32 over 8 when you can just buy a cheap external hdd/flash drive and use that?

In my own case, Amazon UK fucked up the Wii U prices, so I managed to snag an 8gb for £40 cheaper than it should actually be (£209.99 as opposed to £249.99). That's £90 cheaper than the 32gb premium.

I already own a 750gb portable usb drive, which I'll use on the console. So yeah, for almost £100 less, getting the 8gb is a no brainer for me. I'll pick up Nintendoland second hand at some point, but im not that fussed over it.

you know what the Wii U needs?

My Little Pony using the Animal Crossing Jump Out engine
KuGsj.gif

:runs:

http://www.gamezone.com/products/wi...ier-platforms-to-develop-for-says-vigil-games

When it comes to third party game development, Nintendo — particularly with the Wii — hasn't had the best of luck. Surprisingly, despite the uncertainty of its success, the Wii U has received a decent amount of third party support from developers and publishers, at least when you look at their past systems.

Ubisoft, EA, Activision are just a few of the companies committed to bringing their games to the Wii U. Maybe they see some potential in the Wii U's hardware? Or maybe it's just a convenient system to develop for. Vigil Games, a developer who is currently porting Darksiders 2 to the Wii U, described the process of bringing their game to the new system as "surprisingly easy". 

"Technically, it’s one of the easier platforms to develop for," Vigil Games Lead Designer Haydn Dalton told us. "We had our core game up and running on it in a very short amount of time."

"There were no major problems for us developing the Wii U version," he said when asked if the process of porting Darksiders 2 to the Wii U was a difficult one, "other than making sure we had a dedicated team to do it justice. For a new platform, it was surprisingly easy to port it to the Wii U."

"Initially, the base code port was tackled by our internal tech team, but as Darksiders 2 started to ramp up heavily, we handed ownership over to a separate team at THQ Montreal," Dalton explained. "The Montreal team sent us regular updates and documentation about how they were going to implement the unique elements of the Wii U’s hardware."

As far as Darksiders 2's gameplay and graphics on the Wii U, Dalton wouldn't commit to saying they were a step up, but rather a "step in a different direction." Owners on the Wii U can enjoy numerous bonuses including extra content, the option to play solely on the GamePad's screen, and the ability to easily navigate within the inventory directly from the GamePad screen.

Darksiders 2 is set to release for the Wii U  on November 18, 2012, alongside the launch of the console. As far as other third party developers and publishers working on the Wii U, if the process is as easy as Vigil describes, we'll hopefully see more support in the future.

BlankaBR

Banned
As far as�Darksiders 2's gameplay and graphics on the Wii U,Dalton wouldn't commit to saying they were a step up, but rather a "step in a different direction."Devs always redundant, does it mean Darksiders is better on the Wii U or not???

Mardak

seems like Nintendo has been showing off Wii U to non-gaming press recently
http://www.businessinsider.com/wii-u-hands-on-2012-10

Interesting quotes from that article:

The Wii U Is The Most Fun I've Had With A Game Console Ever

My personal favorite was a game called Mario Chase. You can see where your friends are on the Wii U Gamepad, but they have to run around looking for you on the television without knowing your location. The Gamepad's camera sends live video of your face to the TV for your friends to laugh at as you wince when they get close.

The game is essentially a hybrid of tag and hide-and-seek. And it taps into the primal delight centers of the brain that you lit up when you played these games as a kid.

There is a class of gamers for whom this stuff won't matter. They'll only want games requiring extreme processing power and elaborate rules. Let them complain. You won't be able to hear them when you're squealing through the next round of Mario Chase.

Posted?

Wii U is 'one of the easier' platforms to develop for, says Vigil Games

Posted by: Matt Liebl

When it comes to third party game development, Nintendo — particularly with the Wii — hasn't had the best of luck. Surprisingly, despite the uncertainty of its success, the Wii U has received a decent amount of third party support from developers and publishers, at least when you look at their past systems.

Ubisoft, EA, Activision are just a few of the companies committed to bringing their games to the Wii U. Maybe they see some potential in the Wii U's hardware? Or maybe it's just a convenient system to develop for. Vigil Games, a developer who is currently porting Darksiders 2 to the Wii U, described the process of bringing their game to the new system as "surprisingly easy".

"Technically, it’s one of the easier platforms to develop for," Vigil Games Lead Designer Haydn Dalton told us. "We had our core game up and running on it in a very short amount of time."

"There were no major problems for us developing the Wii U version," he said when asked if the process of porting Darksiders 2 to the Wii U was a difficult one, "other than making sure we had a dedicated team to do it justice. For a new platform, it was surprisingly easy to port it to the Wii U."

"Initially, the base code port was tackled by our internal tech team, but as Darksiders 2 started to ramp up heavily, we handed ownership over to a separate team at THQ Montreal," Dalton explained. "The Montreal team sent us regular updates and documentation about how they were going to implement the unique elements of the Wii U’s hardware."

As far as Darksiders 2's gameplay and graphics on the Wii U, Dalton wouldn't commit to saying they were a step up, but rather a "step in a different direction." Owners on the Wii U can enjoy numerous bonuses including extra content, the option to play solely on the GamePad's screen, and the ability to easily navigate within the inventory directly from the GamePad screen.

Darksiders 2 is set to release for the Wii U on November 18, 2012, alongside the launch of the console. As far as other third party developers and publishers working on the Wii U, if the process is as easy as Vigil describes, we'll hopefully see more support in the future.

Hiltz

I have to admit that Mario Chase does look really fun despite its simplistic gameplay. I just wish I had that many people to play it with.

Interesting quotes from that article:

One of my friends had a similar experience playing the animal crossing minigame last weekend... He HATES animal crossing because my group of friends became extremely anti social playing it in front of him. He calls it a girls game, and does girly voices saying "ohh will you water my turnips? Look at my house oooh" etc.. we were invited to play it by a Nintendo rep at Play Expo in Manchester and he told the rep the same thing! However he did play it with us and he couldn't stop laughing, he loved it! He actually said he was going to have nightmares about people chasing him with knives and forks... It's really good fun

I think this is going to be the game that everyone has a memorable family Christmas with, or fun game parties with, like Wii Sports in 2006..

I have to admit that Mario Chase does look really fun despite its simplistic gameplay. I just wish I had that many people to play it with.

Stealth forever alone post? ... However, I know that feel bro.

I just finished buying 2 more Wiimotes so that I'd have 4 with motion plus ... and afterwards realized I wouldn't likely ever have 5 people willing to play.

Stealth forever alone post? ... However, I know that feel bro.

I just finished buying 2 more Wiimotes so that I'd have 4 with motion plus ... and afterwards realized I wouldn't likely ever have 5 people willing to play.
That's me, too. Max I'll ever have to play with is 2 people. :-(

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
I know it won't be as fun and it's probably a stupid question but do we know if we can play Nintendo Land mini-games with all bots or anything? Or do we atleast know the extent of Nintendo Land's single player offering?

I've just moved out and my WiiMotes are back with my parents and they'll wanna keep them so...

D-e-f-

Banned
instead of doing these collections they should just make each one it's own game and put it on the e-shop.

That'd be really stupid. The appeal comes from having them all right there to try. How do you get people to try all of them and discover their gameplaydesigns if you have to try and sell them to everyone piece by piece. That's a terrible idea.

You're probably saying that because you don't think some of those games are appealing. What if they actually are and you'd never know because you wouldn't bother buying them as eShop games?

Fruit Cart sounds a bit intriguing.

I guess that E3 2011 demo involving the ships and arrows fired at you and using the gamepad as a shield is being held for a Rhythm Heaven game?

D-e-f-

Banned
I know it won't be as fun and it's probably a stupid question but do we know if we can play Nintendo Land mini-games with all bots or anything? Or do we atleast know the extent of Nintendo Land's single player offering?

I've just moved out and my WiiMotes are back with my parents and they'll wanna keep them so...

We don't.

But given that only three of them are multiplayer-only, that's probably a no. Just look at the last 2 pages for the full breakdown.

Fruit Cart sounds a bit intriguing.

I guess that E3 2011 demo involving the ships and arrows fired at you and using the gamepad as a shield is being held for a Rhythm Heaven game?

That's in Game & Wario (confirmed in Japanese Sep13 ND)

ah, thank you, D-e-f-

also to anyone lamenting any aspect of Nintendoland's visuals from recent screens, trust me when I say the game is VERY impressive in motion. Smooth as silk and sharp as a tack

Penguin

never seen this screen of Nintendo land.
wii_u_chase1.gif
The first thing that comes to mind
is new Mario Kart battle stage!
Also.. think would be cool if could have a 5th "tablet" player in Mario Kart to really dick people over!

One of my friends had a similar experience playing the animal crossing minigame last weekend... He HATES animal crossing because my group of friends became extremely anti social playing it in front of him. He calls it a girls game, and does girly voices saying "ohh will you water my turnips? Look at my house oooh" etc.. we were invited to play it by a Nintendo rep at Play Expo in Manchester and he told the rep the same thing! However he did play it with us and he couldn't stop laughing, he loved it! He actually said he was going to have nightmares about people chasing him with knives and forks... It's really good fun

I think this is going to be the game that everyone has a memorable family Christmas with, or fun game parties with, like Wii Sports in 2006..

I've said something similar after experiencing the game and seeing other people play it.

NintendoLand doesn't have that instant.. I get it.. like Wii Sports does.
But once people play it...people get it.. and people have a blast

The problem has been how Nintendo revealed and has kind of shown it. Even at trade shows, its like a good 2 minute explanation as to what you are doing.
When most of these are fairly simply gaming versions of like tag or hide and seek or steal the bacon or whatever

God that looks awful really. They to differentiate the Wii U graphics from this Wii looking crap. The distance view looks horrible as well. Even if it was intentional.

Wat?

Mario Chase looks great. Nice real time lighting and shadows, good use of bloom and HDR (I think), art style looks wonderful. I really like it :/

It's simple, but effective and honestly what I'd probably expect a 3D Mario game to look like on Wii U. Or at least Mario Kart like Penguin mentions.

jerd

God that looks awful really. They to differentiate the Wii U graphics from this Wii looking crap. The distance view looks horrible as well. Even if it was intentional.

I love how we can see loads of moderately impressive and smooth shots and videos for the past few months, then we get one screen that looks like it was pulled from a gif and now it "looks like a Wii game".

The art style is from the Miis and a mechanical like theme park look. It what it is. Im not sure what people want of Nintendoland it has a simple appeal to it. You want the bird tech demo in Nintendoland?

So is Nintendoland the Wii Sports of the Wii U? I want something that I can use to demo the system to some of my friends and I don't think Blops 2 is going to cut it, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom