• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Nintendoland the Wii Sports of the Wii U? I want something that I can use to demo the system to some of my friends and I don't think Blops 2 is going to cut it, haha.

in that context, yes, absolutely. it isn't the Wii sports in that Wii sports could demonstrate it's appeal very simply without going hands on, but if you want to have a bunch of friends over to play some multiplayer stuff to show them how cool the Wii U is, Nintendo Land is definately going to do that job, and do it brilliantly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So is Nintendoland the Wii Sports of the Wii U? I want something that I can use to demo the system to some of my friends and I don't think Blops 2 is going to cut it, haha.

I guess it matters who you are demoing it to. Casual? NintendoLand. Hardcore? I would recommend ZombiU.

big_erk

Nintendo-Characters_Scribblenauts-Unlimited-10.17.jpg
Shouldn't the Scribblenauts thing be announced soon?
Sorry if old.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Do ads start today in the UK? Anyone seen one?

Haven't seen one yet, but my eyes are peeled. It's 8pm now so "prime time" is just stating.

As I was writing this, an ad for Just Dance 4 on the Wii appeared LOL.

This game is not supposed to be a graphic showcase so it doesn't really matter
Hey you were the one who questioned him for saying 100x better.

Everyone knows its not a graphical showcase but saying it looks like Wii is silly. I guess if you count the Mii aesthetic you can say it looks like Wii but its all an intentional design choice. Not sure why gaffers down it so much. Not sure if they want the Witcher 2 graphics for a minigame/themepark type game.

Deband

Haven't seen one yet, but my eyes are peeled. It's 8pm now so "prime time" is just stating.

As I was writing this, an ad for Just Dance 4 on the Wii appeared LOL.

Doesn't seem to be a good night for TV. ITV has basically has nothing on. Maybe on channel 4 during Grand Designs? Doesn't seem a typical Nintendo audience.

BlankaBR

Banned
Hey you were the one who questioned him for saying 100x better.

Everyone knows its not a graphical showcase but saying it looks like Wii is silly. I guess if you count the Mii aesthetic you can say it looks like Wii but its all an intentional design choice. Not sure why gaffers down it so much. Not sure if they want the Witcher 2 graphics for a minigame/themepark type game.
Dont be so defensive i said it looks better , just thought he was exsgerating by saying 100 times..!and i didnt say it looks like the wii

JaseMath

Dont be so defensive i said it looks better , just thought he was exsgerating by saying 100 times..!and i didnt say it looks like the wii
Dude...obviously it was hyperbole. Next time when discussing a pack-in title full of mini games meant to showcase a controller, I'll critique the visuals fairly.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's apparently in production/testing now:

A "translated" part:

Students are crashing the Japan game. The supplier @ models Nintendo consoles Wii U, on Pictured Wii U physical map under Pictured Yantai Fuji Kang factory production line undergoing testing. Consoles Wii U!中广网 ...

Raxious

it's been really tempting to put the thing in pre-order. However, I bought the Wii at launch, and sold it after 5 months cause I never used it. I'm to scared that the same thing will happen with the Wii U :(

The first thing that comes to mind
is new Mario Kart battle stage!
Also.. think would be cool if could have a 5th "tablet" player in Mario Kart to really dick people over!

It would be cool if they could sort of film the race as Lakitu or something. That would be my second dream after learning it's only two pads per system. Top dream obviously is four people on a gamepad with the TV showing a cinematic view of the race.

Meelow

Banned
it's been really tempting to put the thing in pre-order. However, I bought the Wii at launch, and sold it after 5 months cause I never used it. I'm to scared that the same thing will happen with the Wii U :(

Think the Wii U is getting better third party support in it's launch window than the Wii ever did, and the exclusives and first party support, that could help your decision.

Rösti;43311688 said:
It's apparently in production/testing now:

A "translated" part:

That's good!

well if you dont have a Wii at least U is backwords compatible. But you might just be better off buying a Wii 1

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I love how we can see loads of moderately impressive and smooth shots and videos for the past few months, then we get one screen that looks like it was pulled from a gif and now it "looks like a Wii game".

No please read what I said. I have seen the new footage and it looks great. Someone mentioned they just saw this shot and I said that particular shot looks like something from the Wii and that it needed to look graphically improved. Look at that image again and tell me that it's on the same level as a Super Mario World screenshot?? It looks very plain and vanilla.

Im not chastising the game as it is today, but that shot alone.. Kinda a moot point at this time however.

No please read what I said. I have seen the new footage and it looks great. Someone mentioned they just saw this shot and I said that particular shot looks like something from the Wii and that it needed to look graphically improved. Look at that image again and tell me that it's on the same level as a Super Mario World screenshot?? It looks very plain and vanilla.

Im not chastising the game as it is today, but that shot alone.. Kinda a moot point at this time however.
Everybody let dorfdad be dorfad. For we may not understand him.

Meelow

Banned
You know what makes me laugh, is when people say Pikmin 3 looks like a Wii game and how they "just" found out that Pikmin 3 is releasing Spring 2013.

So do we know what time the commercial is supposed to premiere in the UK?

I forgot about that, I'm excited for it, hopefully it's an epic commercial I think the 360 commercials in 2005 were really good.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news...ays-underage-workers-used-in-china-plant?lite

TAIPEI - Foxconn Technology Group, the world's largest contract electronics maker, has acknowledged hiring teenagers as young as 14 in a Chinese factory, in breach of national law, in a case that raises further questions over its student intern programme. Labor rights activists in China have accused Foxconn and other big employers in China of using student interns as a cheap source of labor for production lines where it is more difficult to attract young adult workers to lower paid jobs.

Foxconn, the trading name of Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry, said it had found some interns at a plant in Yantai, in northeastern Shandong province, were under the legal working age of 16. It did not say how many were underage. "Our investigation has shown that the interns in question, who ranged in age from 14 to 16, had worked in that campus for approximately three weeks," it said in a statement on Tuesday.

"This is not only a violation of China's labor law, it is also a violation of Foxconn policy and immediate steps have been taken to return the interns in question to their educational institutions." China's official Xinhua news agency, citing an unnamed Yantai government official, said that 56 underage interns would be brought back to their schools. The students had been employed after Foxconn asked the development zone in which the factory is located to help solve a labor shortage last month, when they were needed to make up a shortfall of 19,000 workers, Xinhua added.

Apple's largest manufacturer
Foxconn is Apple Inc's largest manufacturing partner, and also makes products for Dell Inc, Sony Corp and Hewlett-Packard Co among its other clients. It said the Yantai plant does not make Apple products. Foxconn made the announcement after investigating Chinese media reports of underage interns among its China workforce of 1.2 million. It said it had found no evidence of similar violations at any of its other plants in China.

Foxconn said it would work with local government to bar the schools involved in the Yantai case from the intern programme unless shown to be compliant with labor law and company policy. "However, we recognize that full responsibility for these violations rests with our company and we have apologized to each of the students for our role in this action," the firm said.

Foxconn and Apple have been forced to improve working conditions at Chinese factories that make most of the world's iPads and iPhones after a series of well-publicized suicides in 2010 and reports of labor abuses, such as excessive overtime, threw a spotlight on conditions inside the plants. Last month, a riot broke out at a Foxconn plant assembling iPhones in the northern city of Taiyuan over living conditions inside Foxconn's on-site dormitories for migrant workers.

In response to the scrutiny, Foxconn plans to cut overtime to less than nine hours a week from the current 20. It defended its intern programme on Tuesday, saying they made up only 2.7 percent of its workforce in China. Internships could be long-term or short-term, carried out in cooperation with vocational schools and other educational institutions.

The average internship lasted about three-and-a-half months, it said.

I wonder if this will affect Wii U manufacturing somehow?

I was going to say that this is a strange place to post this news considering everything else they manufacture and that the article you linked doesn't mention Wii or Wii U once...

however, some of the kids WERE working on the Wii U production lines - and it sounds like one of the factories concerned may have felt under pressure because of the Wii U launch:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...loyed-on-Foxconn-factory-production-line.html

Foxconn have had quite a few of these stories, they sound quite exploitable - and yet everyone - Apple, Sony, HP, Dell etc uses them.

Worth pointing out though that foxconn say the interns make up less than 3% of their workforce, weren't meant to be working such overtime shifts, and that they're cutting the overtime hours down. They also say the average internship from colleges where these kids come from is only 3 and a half months.

F#A#Oo

Banned
i doubt 56 interns were doing a large chunk of manufacturing at Foxconn, although i now will have to put up with idiots on Facebook yelling at me for being excited about a device that supports child labor or something.

Pretty much all electronic device are tainted tbh...you think the minerals used for components just appear ready to be turned into parts?

Earendil

It would be cool if they could sort of film the race as Lakitu or something. That would be my second dream after learning it's only two pads per system. Top dream obviously is four people on a gamepad with the TV showing a cinematic view of the race.

Well, the person with the gamepad could be Lakitu, and up to 4 other people can race. You could then watch a replay after the race is over. Lame I know, but surely they will think of some cool way to use the pad like this.

The_Lump

Banned
I was going to say that this is a strange place to post this news considering everything else they manufacture and that the article you linked doesn't mention Wii or Wii U once...

however, some of the kids WERE working on the Wii U production lines - and it sounds like one of the factories concerned may have felt under pressure because of the Wii U launch:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...loyed-on-Foxconn-factory-production-line.html

Foxconn have had quite a few of these stories, they sound quite exploitable - and yet everyone - Apple, Sony, HP, Dell etc uses them.

Worth pointing out though that foxconn say the interns make up less than 3% of their workforce, weren't meant to be working such overtime shifts, and that they're cutting the overtime hours down. They also say the average internship from colleges where these kids come from is only 3 and a half months.

Yeah I saw Kotaku jumped on the chance to link Nintendo to 'child labour' with a typically inflammatory headline. Hopefully other outlets take a sensible approach. It was actually 14 - 16 yr olds taking part in internships. The problem isn't that they were working there, just that a line manager was making them work overtime and forcing them to finish work before letting them leave. Obviously not cool at all and against Foxconns own policies.

In the end its Foxconn at fault, possibly even just one line manager at one factory at fault, deciding to break the rules. Just so happened to be at the factory producing Wii U. Yeah they're a sucky company when it comes to these subjects and their track record puts the whole thing in a different light, but you can hardly blame their clients. This story can be linked to a thousand other products if journalists saw fit. Not as easily as it could be linked to WiiU given the direct association, but I can guarantee if iPhone 5 was about to launch then this story would have been focused on that product instead.

I thought your post was clear, Dorfdad. I don't know what's with people and making your posts out to be something they aren't. You were just saying that, for a system that a lot of people are doubting the graphical prowess of, it's not good for them to put out screenshots that make the graphics look so poor. You think the system's graphics are much better than the screenshot, and the media should be showing screenshots that reflect that so people can understand that the Wii U is able to put out good graphics.

D-e-f-

Banned
NintendoLand doesn't have that instant.. I get it.. like Wii Sports does.
But once people play it...people get it.. and people have a blast

People have been using that as a negative a lot. "You don't get it instantly, like with Wii Sports." I think this is a huge plus. Wii Sports was easy to get right off the bat because there wasn't much to it. You play tennis, you bowl a few rounds, make your way through the 9 holes in Golf and that's it (seriously, who played boxing and baseball more than a few times when it was new?). NintendoLand offers far deeper gameplay with various modes and even totally different types of traditional game types. There's third person shooting, sword-fighting, a small action-RPG/brawler, a rhythm game, skill based puzzly games and crazy weird multiplayer that rely on coordination and communication with one of them even being a stealth game. How awesome is that? Very, I tells ya!

Too bad nothing of that can save a shitty art style, which isn't going to change for this game. Miis are already terrible on their own, but Nintendoland is a new level of awful.

It's baffling how anyone could call the NL art style "shitty" ... I think the game looks pretty awesome. Especially Pikmin Adventure and Zelda Battle Quest are gorgeous!

Kouriozan

It's baffling how anyone could call the NL art style "shitty" ... I think the game looks pretty awesome. Especially Pikmin Adventure and Zelda Battle Quest are gorgeous!

That's because it has too much colors, obviously.
Who dare bring colors to my HD games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom