• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

AzaK

So pre-update it took 45 seconds to get from turn on to the first ME3 menu screen. Post update, no quick boot, it took 38s. with quick boot 33s. So they update as a whole is pretty good, but quick boot is not really that hot. What I'm hoping is that they use it for when a mate comes online or wants to video chat.

dock

I got a network error during download, so I'll try again later.

Somehow I doubt anyone else in my house will ever make their own profile.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So when I came home and I never got any update, im connected to the internet and yet I havent gotten any message saying anything downloaded or anything, the notification thing said that they released a new update but it hasent done it for my U yet, am I the only one having this problem?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thank goodness there is some kind of notification feature. It's such a no brainier

I was absolutely shocked at Wii U launch when this big tablet with an included display-oriented charging dock did nothing at all until you pick it up and turned it on.

Ideally, it'd be popping up interesting content like mad. New games show up. New trailers for games. Peach wishing you a happy birthday... etc etc.

Recall

Cool update. I've never had an issue with turning on the Gamepad and booting my game of choice, even if its a second or two quicker then that's neat.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So pre-update it took 45 seconds to get from turn on to the first ME3 menu screen. Post update, no quick boot, it took 38s. with quick boot 33s. So they update as a whole is pretty good, but quick boot is not really that hot. What I'm hoping is that they use it for when a mate comes online or wants to video chat.

I guess there is nothing much to do about the loading time of the game itself. Specially for the third party games. But even for the 1st party ones without a patch.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Update went fine. Quick start is great. A nice addition.

Err, 12 seconds all in all is pretty great, and substantially better than an improvement of 7. It's a good update without quick start, and even better because of it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Update went fine. Quick start is great. A nice addition.

can you choose the Mii profile entering the system with the Quick start?
can you change the "app" listed for the quick update, or are they decided based on the most recent/most used?

elektrixx

Banned
I don't think the Wii U has been slow at all.

I want updates to keep the gamepad display off automatically and control the eShop with a pro controller.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'd like to press the home button in games etc... and be able to quickly got back to the quick start screen.

So, has there also been an improvement in general OS load times? Because I find those annoying.

None. It's still slow.

Loading up internet browser etc... still takes the same amount of time.

BocoDragon

None. It's still slow.

Booting it up seems very quick though! It's obviously improved... a lot. (and it's not like PS4/Xbone are lightning quick to boot, either).

cyberheater

Booting it up seems very quick though! It's obviously improved... a lot. (and it's not like PS4/Xbone are lightning quick to boot, either).

I haven't got a PS4 or an Xbox One.

The quick start function works well. Getting into your games from boot is overall a lot quicker. It's a short cut.

The OS still seems slow to me. Going from one app to another still feels slow. Loading the browser or the settings menus really should be near instant. It is on my old iPad1.

Nicktendo86

Can't wait to get home now and update! They are finally starting to use the gamepad for interesting things. I for one will really miss it if they drop it for the next console, been able to play hours worth of games I otherwise couldn't as the wife is watching the TV.

BocoDragon

The quick start function works well. Getting into your games from boot is overall a lot quicker. It's a short cut.

The OS still seems slow to me. Going from one app to another still feels slow. Loading the browser or the settings menus really should be near instant. It is on my old iPad1.

Ignore the browser. It's not going to be like an iPad.

Booting up the Wii U Menu takes less than 10 seconds (I swear it took the better part of a minute at launch). And booting a game seems like 10-15 seconds. Plus there is the Quick Launch menu which boots games so much quicker than going through the menu.

Is the Wii U faster? Yes. Insanely yes. (I'm comparing to launch, here) It's still not iPad quality, and maybe never will be, but I will take a B+ over an F-.

I'd download it if my Wifi didn't hate my Wii U, it's so sporadic due to where my system is located that my Wii U rarely can connect to the internet, basically I really need to get an Ethernet cor especially if I plan to play MK8.

wsippel

Banned

Settings work completely differently on Wii U compared to other platforms, and most people open that menu maybe once a year. It's already a lot faster than it used to be, optimizing it further would probably be a waste of time in my opinion. Also, browsers are pretty complex beasts, so they always take a while to load and initialize, on any hardware. The reason it seems instant on your iPad is because it's not actually loading the browser, the browser is pretty much always kept in RAM. Loading Safari from scratch takes several seconds even on my Macbook Air, which has much faster mass storage compared to an iPad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We'd need videos from the same person showing Wii U's speed in loading menus/apps/whatever for each important uodate, including this one. That's when I'd say we'd have a good way to compare them.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I said the other day it was a pity Nintendo didn't get this update ready for Mario Kart's launch, but they were very close to it in the end.

New Wii U/MK8 bundle buyers will get such a different first time experience than what we had at launch. Free amazing online in MK8, free extra game on a populated eshop, super fast way to launch a game... Night and day :)

Nicktendo86

Why not. It's got a faster processor and the apps are installed on flash memory. It should be as fast as fuck.
Completely different system. I hope I get this right but pretty sure the console can't store apps in ram as it needs the free ram for games and the suspend feature when you press home and can then open another app like the browser.

cyberheater

Completely different system. I hope I get this right but pretty sure the console can't store apps in ram as it needs the free ram for games and the suspend feature when you press home and can then open another app like the browser.

My iPad1 has a only 256Mb if ram. The WiiU has 2Gb which 1Gb is for the OS. There is nothing stopping it loading stuff fast from flash memory.

Listen. I don't think we should go down this route. It faster then it was but It should still be a lot faster.

AGoodODST

Just had a chance to mess around with it and Quick Start is fantastic. Nice and snappy.

I like the new look to the home screen and user menu as well.

RiggyRob

So, there seems to be varying reports on the speed.

How long on average does it take to get from switching the Wii U on to playing a game (e.g. Mario Kart 8), and does it matter if the game in question is physical or digital?

BocoDragon

My iPad1 has a only 256Mb if ram. The WiiU has 2Gb which 1Gb is for the OS. There is nothing stopping it loading stuff fast from flash memory.

Listen. I don't think we should go down this route. It faster then it was but It should still be a lot faster.

Personally I have zero expectations of it ever being as fast as an iPad to launch software.

I see it as a very flawed piece of hardware. So going from "unusable piece of shit, these loading times are INSANE" to "hey, not bad. I can play a game in 30 seconds" is a HUGE victory to me.

Vagabundo

Yet another fundamental feature that requires the Game pad. Really getting tired of this thing. There's nothing simple or user friendly about needing to use a huge, clunky controller to get in game faster when in the end I'm playing with a Pro Controller.

I'll bet the Pro Controller still shuts itself down when you use it to boot up the Wii U and you need to press a button to turn it on again.

lol the Gampad is not just an optional extra, its a main part of the console.

Although I would not be against Nintendo putting in some time so people can go - mostly - GamePadless if they wished.

Personally I have zero expectations of it ever being as fast as an iPad to launch software.

I see it as a very flawed piece of hardware. So going from "unusable piece of shit, these loading times are INSANE" to "hey, not bad. I can play a game in 30 seconds" is a HUGE victory to me.

Really? Out of all the loading times on mine the only one I've noticed is Mass Effect 3, and that was a launch game so it could be forgiven. Everything else has been okay, within my acceptable tolerance.

ahm998

I want in next update:

*free region.
*file system.
*Gift to friend in Eshop.
*Cross chat.

And i will be satisfied forever.

Please Nintendo make it happened.

JoeM86

I'd like to press the home button in games etc... and be able to quickly got back to the quick start screen.

None. It's still slow.

Be fair. It has not been "slow", it's just not super quick.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

How long on average does it take to get from switching the Wii U on to playing a game (e.g. Mario Kart 8), and does it matter if the game in question is physical or digital?
I left home but I'd say 12-15 seconds. Can someone make the test?

EDIT: so it's actually closer to 30secs depending on the games. I tried NSMBU this morning and it felt quicker than that.

AGoodODST

Well from timing just there;

Normal start up: 44.53

Quick Start: 26.91

Game I tested was Minish Cap. Too lazy to test with a disk.

BocoDragon

Really? Out of all the loading times on mine the only one I've noticed is Mass Effect 3, and that was a launch game so it could be forgiven. Everything else has been okay, within my acceptable tolerance.

I'm not talking about in-game, you realize that, yes? This talk is about the OS.

Because otherwise with a launch Wii U, booting up the system to menu, loading games... if someone didn't recognize that this was one of the slowest startup-to-gaming experiences in console gaming (whether it be 1994 or 2014), I'd honestly be surprised.

It's been greatly remedied in the last few firmwares.

JoeM86

I'm not talking about in-game, you realize that, yes? This talk is about the OS.

Because otherwise with a launch Wii U, booting up the system to menu, loading games... if someone didn't recognize that this was one of the slowest startup-to-gaming experiences in console gaming (whether it be 1994 or 2014), I'd honestly be surprised.

I just turned my Xbox 360 on and it took 2 minutes from boot to being able to even do anything on the dashboard.

Wii U is nothing like that and never has been. My PS3 has similar delays, it takes about as long as the Wii U did in V3

BocoDragon

I just turned my Xbox 360 on and it took 2 minutes from boot to being able to even do anything on the dashboard.

Wii U is nothing like that and never has been. My PS3 has similar delays, it takes about as long as the Wii U did in V3

2 minutes from boot on 360 to do anything on the dashboard?

It's broken, bro. And so is your PS3.

Vagabundo

I'm talking about loading games, from the OS screen, and the OS speed in general. So we seem to be talking about the same thing.

I didn't have a Wii U at launch so I've no experience of the pre-update console, but my general experience with the console has been acceptable, better than my PS3, comparable with my i5 PC and all the other gadgets and gaming devices I use.

BocoDragon

I'm talking about loading games, from the OS screen, and the OS speed in general. So we seem to be talking about the same thing.

I didn't have a Wii U at launch so I've no experience of the pre-update console, but my general experience with the console has been acceptable, better than my PS3, comparable with my i5 PC and all the other gadgets and gaming devices I use.
Yes, it's much better now with the updates. That's what I'm saying.

Top Bottom