• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

MrMan2k3

And... my Wii U is bricked. I'm not blaming the update, necessarily, as I started having issues this weekend. I got errors when downloading and installing games from the eShop, then a System Memory error. I hoped the update would fix my issues, but after I tried a game it locked up and nothing would come on screen upon restarting the system. I'm calling Nintendo tomorrow to set up a repair.

Jarsonot

And... my Wii U is bricked. I'm not blaming the update, necessarily, as I started having issues this weekend. I got errors when downloading and installing games from the eShop, then a System Memory error. I hoped the update would fix my issues, but after I tried a game it locked up and nothing would come on screen upon restarting the system. I'm calling Nintendo tomorrow to set up a repair.
Aw that sucks! The agonizing wait!

Can anyone explain why the Quick Start menu won't work yet? It keeps telling me to wait...

Just turn off your Wii U and wait and in about 5-10 minutes the Gamepad home button will flash. Press it and it will walk you through the steps to set it up how you like it.

Edit: beaten

M3d10n

It's really not possible. Not unless they do software emulation for Wii games in the future.

It is definitely possible, but not likely practical.

First, the classic controller is an add-on, so the gamepad would need to pretend to be a wii remote with a classic controller plugged in. This would cause major confusion with games that expect a true remote and at the very least they would need to fake pointer data using the touch screen as well. In any case this would confuse users since in-game input overlays wouldn't match the gamepad.

Nintendo would need to perform a major QA with existing Wii games to make sure they don't break, since such change would most likely require patching the various IOS versions used by the games to add "fake device" support into the bluetooth drivers.

Just tested it out. Great update, definitely feels faster.

One thing I'm not entirely sure, I tried to shut down the console from the Quick Start Menu and 2 out of 3 times it would bring me to the Home Menu instead of turning off the console. Seems you have to hold the power button longer. Will have to run some tests.

Edit: Looks like it's turning off properly now. Not sure what happened.

No its not just you, the home menu is cleaner looking for sure. Also it pops up much faster when you press the home button now.

Agreed. Before when you would press the Home Button, the splash screen always had a moment lag before coming down to the Gamepad, now it's rock solid and basically instant.

TunaLover

It's nice that through Quick Start it bypass the prompt to HDD format (handy for Wii brewers)

Only problem is you need to use the gamepad to access the apps... No way to use Controller Pro or Wiimote to access to the menu.

MilesTeg

Banned
For some reason quick start requires a certain amount of downtime. If you turn off the console then turn it on again you are greeted with a screen that says the quick start function isn't ready yet.

Riki

For some reason quick start requires a certain amount of downtime. If you turn off the console then turn it on again you are greeted with a screen that says the quick start function isn't ready yet.

It has to get the menu ready (since it can change each time you boot it up depending on what you used).
It's not a long wait anyway. Like a minute or two.

The Wii U has to think/gather data about what was played so it can have the correct apps on the Gamepad for quick start?

Only problem is you need to use the gamepad to access the apps... No way to use Controller Pro or Wiimote to access to the menu.

Of course? The 'Quick Start' thing is using the same feature as the Game Pad's TV remote, iirc, that allows the Game Pad to function independently of the console. Would miss the point to have to boot up the Wii U to access QS. Or, am I misinterpreting you?

MilesTeg

Banned
It has to get the menu ready (since it can change each time you boot it up depending on what you used).
It's not a long wait anyway. Like a minute or two.

Ah I see. Not really a complaint, just an observation. It's not like people will be shutting down and then starting up again immediately lol.

Anyway, when you press the home button it definitely loads faster than before. Also, I went to friends list (which still takes too long) and a person on my list had "USA" displayed for a second over his name. Didn't see anything like that before.

Riki

Ah I see. Not really a complaint, just an observation. It's not like people will be shutting down and then starting up again immediately lol.

Anyway, when you press the home button it definitely loads faster than before. Also, I went to friends list (which still takes too long) and a person on my list had "USA" displayed for a second over his name. Didn't see anything like that before.

I noticed this too. You could always set a little note on your NNID in the Friend's List.
But I think this update actually makes it visible to everyone instantly now.

terrisus

Now it'll be as fast as a vita :D

Lol am i rite?

(I actually think the wiiU loads good enough)

vnmyRjA.gif

So I've tried it multiple times booting up a disc and Miiverse and I am barely noticing a difference. I mean yeah that quick start guide comes up instantly but after selecting software it still seems to take as much time to "turn on" the Wii U before the software starts.

Yeah me too, like gamepad support for Wii games omg.

D:

This is why I'm kind of glad this came before E3. I had hopes this would come out at E3 with that very feature available. I think even if it is possible Nintendo wouldn't want to take away one of their big selling points for upgrading VC games (Off-tv play).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, this is interesting. I downloaded the update, unplugged the console and the home gamepad light continued to blink.

I pressed the button and the gamepad allowed me to select my Mii, told me about the update, all while the actual Wii U was unplugged.

atbigelow

Friend List definitely feels like it loads quicker. I had just checked my friend list earlier whilst playing MK8 prior to updating.

You're getting closer, Nintendo.

Riki

So, this is interesting. I downloaded the update, unplugged the console and the home gamepad light continued to blink.

I pressed the button and the gamepad allowed me to select my Mii, told me about the update, all while the actual Wii U was unplugged.

It likely loads up part of the OS into the GamePad memory, which is why it can instantly boot up from a standby state.

atbigelow

According to some of the hacker sites, the GamePad has its own updateable firmware. So basically a Wii U update contains the ability to update the Wii U console, gamepad and virtual Wii (I think). The gamepad can run as its own small beast and the quick menu is small and simple enough to do just that.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yet another fundamental feature that requires the Game pad. Really getting tired of this thing. There's nothing simple or user friendly about needing to use a huge, clunky controller to get in game faster when in the end I'm playing with a Pro Controller.

I'll bet the Pro Controller still shuts itself down when you use it to boot up the Wii U and you need to press a button to turn it on again.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yet another fundamental feature that requires the Game pad. Really getting tired of this thing. There's nothing simple or user friendly about needing to use a huge, clunky controller to get in game faster when in the end I'm playing with a Pro Controller.

I'll bet the Pro Controller still shuts itself down when you use it to boot up the Wii U and you need to press a button to turn it on again.

Yeah how dare they make use of... their... main input method...?

Top Bottom