• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU Update V5.0.0 out now. Quick Start Function.

Exile20

Yet another fundamental feature that requires the Game pad. Really getting tired of this thing. There's nothing simple or user friendly about needing to use a huge, clunky controller to get in game faster when in the end I'm playing with a Pro Controller.

I'll bet the Pro Controller still shuts itself down when you use it to boot up the Wii U and you need to press a button to turn it on again.
This is a serious post?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah how dare they make use of... their... main input method...?
User experience matters more than whatever nonsense excuse they have to continue to lug around a device that they clearly still haven't found a consistent, compelling use for other than as a detriment to everything else.

I would love to hear a good reason as to why they decided to remove all options in Mario Kart 8 and put all race info on the Game pad instead of the screen, for example. Or why it's the only control method available to shop with.

They've designed it as a screen for menus and we never needed more of those.

KHlover

Banned
WiiU automatically installs updates in standbye now? Aww yeah.

Now we need the same for the 3DS. I don't want to see an Update Screen ever again :D
(Although installing pre-downloaded updates on the 3DS still is pretty fast).

Shaanyboi

Banned
User experience matters more than whatever nonsense excuse they have to continue to lug around a device that they clearly still haven't found a compelling use for other than as a detriment to everything else.

I would love to hear a good reason as to why they decided to remove all options in Mario Kart 8 and put all race info on the Game pad instead of the screen, for example. Or why it's the only control method available to shop with.

They've designed it as a screen for menus and we never needed more of those.

Lug around? It sits next to your couch. Or on your coffee table. You're not taking it with you to work. And what games have been hindered by the gamepad? Wind Waker plays better with it, Deus Ex plays better with it. The games that use Off-TV play certainly aren't hindered by it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Lug around? It sits next to your couch. Or on your coffee table. You're not taking it with you to work.
They lug the Game pad around. I keep it on its dock.

I added 'consistent' as I will admit it has had the odd beneficial spark.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They lug the Game pad around.

I keep it on its dock.

They lug it around because it's the system they made, and with E3 next week, we will see how they intend on using it in the foreseeable future. I'd rather they find ways to use that controller as a convenient augmentation of traditional experiences or an enabler of unique experiences as opposed to them just finding ways to ignore the gamepad entirely.

It's no secret that they haven't made the most compelling use of it every time. No one is going to debate that. But I've enjoyed using it more than not, even if solely a convenience most of the time. And if they're supposedly doubling down on it, hopefully that'll mean more interesting use of the gamepad in the future. But rolling your eyes at them using the gamepad for a convenient system feature is just ignoring their attempts at making the gamepad more central to the experience of the system. The Pro Controller isn't central to the experience. Neither is the Wii Remote.

AzaK

I like this update. I gave my Wii U the ol' press power > go straight to Mario Kart 8 test

25 seconds from double clicking the game icon to pressing "A" at the title screen

yeah this is still true. it's always the first test I do after updating haha
Is that faster than turning right on, waiting for menu and running?

ph00p

Banned
Still not Deep Color from the HDMI, sloppy Nintendo, I've been looking this up lately I think people have figured that they could add it with software as it shouldn't be a hardware limitation.

Quick start only working from the battery hungry gamepad sucks, I usually avoid pressing buttons on it so it won't complain about the battery dying after limited use.

BooJoh

The Mii icon in the upper left seems to be changed slightly. Previously it would have an orange background if you had no internet connection, blue if you had one. Now it's clear and has a Nintendo Network icon in the corner which I assume means you have a connection? Not sure.

The Gamepad Alerts seriously just sounds like your gamepad will randomly play a ringtone and turn the screen on with a banner ad. Nice try, Nintendo. I've set mine to not play a sound or turn on, but to flash the home button. I'll leave it that way unless the alerts prove to be more meaningful than banner ads. I also sleep in the same room as my Wii U so I'd rather not have it turn on the screen and play a sound while I'm trying to sleep anyway.

Miiverse startup seems a lot faster to me. A few seconds instead of 15-30.

Still awaiting folders, controller support for Wii Mode, and the ability to boot to Wii Mode without requiring the TV be on.

NimbusD

Woah, the power LED on the console is orange when it's off now? That's new right? I only ever remember it being blue or red.

EDIT: nevermind, it's red again. not sure why it was orange. maybe it was readying the quick start menu... weird.

Schnozberry

Anybody else having issues with external storage post update? My USB Drive keeps failing and the Wii U says it's disconnected. I'm having a hard time believing it's the Wii U, but you never know.

Iolo

Still awaiting folders, controller support for Wii Mode, and the ability to boot to Wii Mode without requiring the TV be on.

But I boot to Wii Fit (original) using just the GamePad without the TV. Can't check right now since I'm updating, but I'm pretty sure I just hold B at startup to enter Wii mode, then point the remote at the GamePad to start.

NeOak

Woah, the power LED on the console is orange when it's off now? That's new right? I only ever remember it being blue or red.

EDIT: nevermind, it's red again. not sure why it was orange. maybe it was readying the quick start menu... weird.
Orange is when it turns on during standby by itself to check stuff.

Iolo

Orange means it's on the network / downloading. You can catch it in that mode from time to time, when it checks for updates or receives data.

That's very old. It downloads data while on standby. This is when the light turns orange.

It is orange in standby mode, which it does periodically.

BooJoh

But I boot to Wii Fit (original) using just the GamePad without the TV. Can't check right now since I'm updating, but I'm pretty sure I just hold B at startup to enter Wii mode, then point the remote at the GamePad to start.

I just tried this exact thing. Pushed power on the Wii Remote, tapped B until the controller stayed on and then held B to boot to Wii Mode, was presented with the following on the Gamepad as always:

hjNfvrR.jpg

Broritos

I didn't care for this update when they first showed it off but know that I got to try it, it's so fucking cool!

So nice. So simpo.

Iolo

I just tried this exact thing. Pushed power on the Wii Remote, tapped B until the controller stayed on and then held B to boot to Wii Mode, was presented with the following on the Gamepad as always:

Well now that's bizarre. I swear this worked before but I get the same thing now,

BooJoh

One more minor complaint. If you actually do want to boot to the Wii U Menu because what you want isn't on Quick Boot, you have to tap the Wii U Menu option on the Quick Boot Menu, then it shows an entirely separate screen essentially asking you to confirm you want to boot to the Wii U Menu (Why? Who decided that they needed a confirmation screen for the main menu of all things?)

You can, however, bypass the Quick Boot Menu entirely using only the Gamepad if you want to by first pressing the TV button, then the power button.

Well now that's bizarre. I swear this worked before but I get the same thing now,

If you were indeed managing it before I'm not sure how. I tried unplugging the HDMI cable and even the Sensor Bar, but nothing I do changes the behavior. It's bugged me since they added Gamepad display for Wii Mode because if it worked properly you could play Wii games on Wii U without even having a TV to hook it up to if the need presented itself.

I've updated my Wii U and I just tried it myself and I was able to reach the Wii mode using the same steps without receiving the error you guys saw. There must be a setting that we have set differently than one another.

atr0cious

If you have hmdi connected, your tv must be on for some strange reason, or the Wii will not recognize it. You can go to the tv settings to non-hdmi and then the system won't look for a Tv when you are switching between the two.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
The "quick launch" menu is okay, but it means we won't really see the Warawara Plaza anymore. Meh. And I find it weird that it's stylized differently than the rest of the OS.

If you have hmdi connected, your tv must be on for some strange reason, or the Wii will not recognize it. You can go to the tv settings to non-hdmi and then the system won't look for a Tv when you are switching between the two.

Interesting. I disconnected the hdmi out cable from the Wii U and now I am seeing the error they saw, so it looks like you are right.

I keep getting on my gamepad "The quick start menu is not ready yet. To use it, turn the power off, wait for a while, then try again." Well I keep turning it off and waiting a while but still no quick start menu.

I keep getting on my gamepad "The quick start menu is not ready yet. To use it, turn the power off, wait for a while, then try again." Well I keep turning it off and waiting a while but still no quick start menu.

Turn off the Wii U and then when you see the GamePad's Home Button glow blue, press it and it will be ready.

wishdom

I believe you have to wait until the home button flashes blue, can take a few minutes.

Updated, saw my gamepad flashing blue, turned it on to see how everything works and now I've been playing mk8 for 2 hours. I should be sleeping

BooJoh

I've updated my Wii U and I just tried it myself and I was able to reach the Wii mode using the same steps without receiving the error you guys saw. There must be a setting that we have set differently than one another.

Interesting. I disconnected the hdmi out cable from the Wii U and now I am seeing the error they saw, so it looks like you are right.

So if I'm understanding correctly, if you literally want to use the Wii Mode without a TV you need to disable HDMI in the system settings, and the people who are able to boot into Wii Mode without their TV on are probably using a receiver or something that makes the Wii U think the TV is on?

So if I'm understanding correctly, if you literally want to use the Wii Mode without a TV you need to disable HDMI in the system settings, and the people who are able to boot into Wii Mode without their TV on are probably using a receiver or something that makes the Wii U think the TV is on?

I believe that is correct. I have my Wii U routed through an hdmi splitter so it makes sense that I needed to physically unplug the cable to see the error you saw.

MrBenchmark

I believe you have to wait until the home button flashes blue, can take a few minutes.

Exactly it said that in the walk thru after the update. It populates the quick start screen with frequently used apps/games works nice. Just need some folders now soon.

MrBenchmark

Mine runs through my receiver does the same thing have to have the TV on first unless you disable hdmi. Never really bothered me since TV is on most of the time when I go to switch it.

Fandangox

I tried to download the uptadate. Was working fine for a few minutes but then I got an error. Apparently the Wii U is not connected to the internet althought the Mii Icon at the Home Screen is blue. If I try to use anything with online connictiy I just get error codes. Was getting similar issues yesterday except I could still use online stuff, just not matchmaking.

Inputting some of the error codes indicate that there might be some ssue with the router, but I already power cycled them and I ttried 2 different connections. Another error code said that it could be because the eShop is undergoing weekly manteinance. I doubt its that though cause I have been able to use online apps before during the normal eShop maintance.

Anyone else having any other issues?

Penguin

This is probably a good place to ask/complain about

Is there anyway to clear your "Data/Download" page without opening the respective game/app?

JoeM86

Hmm, no longer have the blue/orange background to my Mii to show if I'm online or not. Is that just me or is that the new thing now?

Also, need to have standby functions on to have quick start work. A conundrum. I like to turn standby functions off because my room gets quite warm and dusty quickly and don't want the Wii U to overheat, but I want superfast speed.

Conundrum. Not sure I'm happy with that.

BooJoh

Hmm, no longer have the blue/orange background to my Mii to show if I'm online or not. Is that just me or is that the new thing now?

Also, need to have standby functions on to have quick start work. A conundrum. I like to turn standby functions off because my room gets quite warm and dusty quickly and don't want the Wii U to overheat, but I want superfast speed.

Conundrum. Not sure I'm happy with that.

I'm not positive but I think the small orange Nintendo Network icon now designates that you're online.

Excellent! For me, it's already the best UI of all the next gen systems, and this makes it even better!!! Some neat new features in this update

Mithos

-Receive notifications from Nintendo on the GamePad (even while off). Will display on the Pad screen and produce a sound.

Sounds like something that could/would be used during E3 a lot?

This update fixed the terrible wifi speeds my wiiu was getting. Went from barely 1.5mbps to over 12.

I'd have to say the same, I'm not sure I've tried speedof.me before as speed test, but it gives me almost the same speed as my computer when testing and that NEVER EVER happened before, on any of the test sites I did try, I got 1/3 to 1/2 of the speed of my PC at best.

Code:
Wii U
Download: 7.48Mbps
Upload:      0.87Mbps

PC
Download: 7.54Mbps
Upload:      0.93Mbps

Top Bottom