• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit, you brought in Coco to do some finishing work didn't you?

I said "more capable" and "much better job".

more important post ended up as last post on the previous page:

Im taking a self imposed hiatus from GAF, so Ill probably catch you in the wp8 OT when i come back.

just thought id make my last post a constructive one.

I reset my 8x today, it dragged back:

email accounts no passwords (good thing)

Sms up to midnight yesterday

apps, though some failed to download.

kept audio settings such as keypad etc.

what it didn't do

keep your tiles, they get reset to almost stock + email accounts

wifi though i guess this could be a good thing for privacy purposes.

game saves.

use this info wisely

toff74

ah so you've not been caught by the record labels 'we want money for this album' before? Happened quite a lot on Zune in the UK. Can only imagine it'll happen more with the wider audience that win8 will bring.

im from the UK.. And ive only really fallen foul of it on Coldplay and some of the more commercial compilation albums. Shame! On the Xbox you can see the albums, see the songs, just cant play them!

is there a chance that these will appear over time?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You can have a GAF tile on your home screen and you can put Galchenyuk on your ME tile. What more do you want :)
You work for Microsoft? :lol I'm going to go and check out both phones tomorrow, going to be a tough decision...

Red_Man

Grabbed an 8x from work to play with over the weekend...my God this phone looks and feels great.
Have you played around with an S3 at all? The look of the 8X kills the S3 for me, but it seems like the S3 has better functionality.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
One of my colleagues has an S3 but I haven't messed with it much as it's his personal device. I have to say - I was dead set on upgrading my current piece of shit Palm Pre to an iPhone 5 and calling it a day, but playing with the 8x over the course of the weekend...I dunno. It's light, the screen is incredibly nice, and everything just feels crisp. Too bad I can't use my iTunes account on it :p

For those of you who were wondering, the blue casing is very dark, almost purple. It looks great, and still professional.

Red_Man

I want to get away from itunes, and I've had an iPhone for 3 years now, and it's getting stale for me. Just don't know which of either the 8X or the S3 would be better for me, I'm going to go to rogers tomorrow and check them both out.

zedge

One of my colleagues has an S3 but I haven't messed with it much as it's his personal device. I have to say - I was dead set on upgrading my current piece of shit Palm Pre to an iPhone 5 and calling it a day, but playing with the 8x over the course of the weekend...I dunno. It's light, the screen is incredibly nice, and everything just feels crisp. Too bad I can't use my iTunes account on it :p

For those of you who were wondering, the blue casing is very dark, almost purple. It looks great, and still professional.

The kid upgraded to one, I have an S3 and I'm jealous.. lol. Its a beautiful device. He was a bit bummed when he found out there was no instagram though..haha. He loves the sound with Beats enabled though, and is using the people hub, not separate facebook and twitter apps. Got the hang of it pretty quick. He went from an iphone 4 which the mic stopped working, gave him my Galaxy Nexus to use which he never really got the hang of.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Compared to the 8X all the Samsung phones have this ugly almost cudgel like plastic look and feel to them, especially the Galaxy line. Getting mine tomorrow!

Razdek

Banned
For those that are still configuring their start screen and want to add "sections" to it to give it some black space use an app called Groupy. It makes the phone look a lot more organized and I got a lot of compliments on it because it's very easy to make the screen look cluttered.

Got the text done for the OT--will finish the graphics tomorrow and post it.

For those that are still configuring their start screen and want to add "sections" to it to give it some black space use an app called Groupy. It makes the phone look a lot more organized and I got a lot of compliments on it because it's very easy to make the screen look cluttered.

Nice! Someone asked me a few pages back if I remembered the site that had images you could pin to get the same effect, but I couldn't find it (sorry for not responding). This looks like it does the same thing:

wp_ss_20121120_0003.png

Klocker

I use newgroup for that, as another option

edit: on WP7.5

cube444

Totally love the feel of the phone but can't get into that GameCube purple colour. Wish Bell had it in black.

Razdek

Banned
Got the text done for the OT--will finish the graphics tomorrow and post it.

Nice! Someone asked me a few pages back if I remembered the site that had images you could pin to get the same effect, but I couldn't find it (sorry for not responding). This looks like it does the same thing:

Yea, it does the same thing but you get to control then text and can go two small tiles wide if you want to. It really does make it look not as cluttered with the spacing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I remember last year at&t had a bunch of new phones, including windows phones for .99 on black Friday, has there been any announcements this year ?

I thought game saves were part of the cloud backup thing, that's a blow.
Yes it's suck. I am ok with the restore option and it make switching phone less of a pain, but I remember having game save to the cloud on Xbox arcade since 2007 why were this feature not implement on the phone is mind boggling...

Microsoft really need to step up with these integration. Shitty Xbox music and Video is the last straw and I am done with buying their media digital goods.

hwalker84

Yes it suck. I am ok with the restore option and it make switching phone less of a pain, but I remember having game save to the cloud on Xbox arcade since 2007 why were this feature not implement on the phone is mind boggling...

Microsoft really need to step up with these integration. Shitty Xbox music and Video is the last straw and I am done with buying their media digital goods.

All their products need perfect integration. Xbox Music is awful. The video debacle on WP8. The backup situation still not up to Google or apple standards. Sharing from the phone from SkyDrive. The sync app. Etc.... I'm still absolutely in love with the OS though.

Surprised no one raged at MS for this.
I am but I don't think they care. I am really sour with the Xbox Music and Video Support. If my Lumia have to be exchanges again I am going to seriously consider alternative.

Windows Phone 8 experience so far is disappointing and only thing that keep me on is the Nokia hardware.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I wish there was a way to close background apps.

Left Angry Birds running in the background over night and drained about 50% of my battery. I did get achievements for playing 5 and 15 hours though. Only solution I know of is to open a bunch of random stuff until it leaves the recent app list.

NeOak

Left Angry Birds running in the background over night and drained about 50% of my battery. I did get achievements for playing 5 and 15 hours though. Only solution I know of is to open a bunch of random stuff until it leaves the recent app list.

Keep pressing back.

Great, a friend of mine sent a botched MMS message I can't open, but now the message repeats itself every two hours. I suppose the problem is on her end, not mine, but it's goddamn annoying.

My OtterBox that I ordered from WPCentral finally came today.

Sure enough, after cleaning up the phone itself (screen and camera), the case application was very easy, once I figured out how to pry out the silicone case out. The phone does feel heavier and is definitely bigger, but it feels more solid - that's a good thing, right?

(I bought it when I noticed that my phone tended to be on the receiving end of a drop. Nothing too serious yet, and no damage so far, but...)

Maybe I should start turning off all these background processes on my 900 and start praying that the phone can go through a night without eating up 1/4 of the battery. Hmm...

Hope I won't miss instant emails.

Thanks. That's the 8gb version though, lets see if a sale pops up on the 16gb. The best I've found is $149.

btw, schuey's tip about turning off cell data at home seems to have helped my battery life significantly. At&t has been bad lately, so it must be killing my battery to keep up with their signal for data.

At&t is offering Lumia 920 for $49.99 this Friday. Supposedly if you call customer service they will match the early adopters price (ie give you $50.00 back). I will try to call today and see if they will give me back $50.00, probably going to buy me another charger.

hadareud

The Translator
Multi-tasking in Windows Phone is not intuitive.

I don't know about that. It's just as intuitive as on Android, just a different button. And closing running apps is a good bit simpler/quicker.

I can't comment on how it is compared to Apple products, because I wouldn't touch one even if they paid me to. Is multitasking implemented better on iOS?

I don't know about that. It's just as intuitive as on Android, just a different button. And closing running apps is a good bit simpler/quicker.

I can't comment on how it is compared to Apple products, because I wouldn't touch one even if they paid me to. Is multitasking implemented better on iOS?

I couldn't disagree more.

On my Galaxy Nexus I can press an always present button to get a list of all running apps and can just swipe them to the side to close them (or alternatively press and hold).

In Windows Phone, you have to press and hold the back button to get the list of running apps, then select an app, wait for it to load and press back again (few times if necessary) to close it.

The task switcher on iOS is just as "hidden" as in Windows Phone, where you have to double press the home button to get the list of all running apps and then press and hold the app icon to get the little - that closes the app.

Totakeke

You're not supposed to close apps. You've been tainted by Android brot.

No, games don't count. Since when they keep games running in the background anyway?

The task switcher on iOS is just as "hidden" as in Windows Phone, where you have to double press the home button to get the list of all running apps and then press and hold the app icon to get the little - that closes the app.

in my opinion an up or down flick should kill the application when on the 'cards' screen.
but hey, i also think a neat notification screen could be included by swiping left on the home screen. applications that support it could either give you: live tile updates, toast popups, a notification entry or any combination thereof.

You're not supposed to close apps. You've been tainted by Android brot.

No, games don't count. Since when they keep games running in the background anyway?

I rarely close apps, but I already did that on my Windows Phone. Just because.

And it seems that games do count.

in my opinion an up or down flick should kill the application when on the 'cards' screen.

Yes, or add a little x on the upper right of the corner. There have been countless of mock ups. People want to manage and close their apps. Give them the choice. They shut up about it when they added it in Windows 8, so why not in WP?

hadareud

The Translator
I couldn't disagree more.

On my Galaxy Nexus I can press an always present button to get a list of all running apps and can just swipe them to the side to close them (or alternatively press and hold).

In Windows Phone, you have to press and hold the back button to get the list of running apps, then select an app, wait for it to load and press back again (few times if necessary) to close it.

Yeah you are right, they made some improvements to the multi-tasking in ICS/Jellybean that I didn't think about before posting. On the galaxy tab there's also a little x there in the task switcher that makes a difference for the better for sure.

I still don't think it's all that great on Android either tbh and the raw speed of the WP interface almost makes up for having to make a few more clicks.

They should implement the dragging down gesture from W8 in WP to close apps. Or simply put an x in the top corner like on Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom