• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magni

hey thirty, I saw you post in the pureview thread about buying off contract at att, then getting them to unlock it and switching to straight talk. I was wondering how you get att to unlock the phone for you and what this all entails. I'm with Sprint right now but my contract has been up for a while and was considering t-mobile but I'm not as excited about the 8x as the 920. This seems the the cheapest option I've come up with and would love to be able to join the cool table.

nvm, i reread that you said that you would use it with Straight talk. It works, no need to unlock it since its an AT&T MVNO.

You need to add the APNs though. Here is a guide for the 900, you just have to use the WP8 tool now: http://straighttalkwindows.com/straight-talk-mms-setup-nokia-lumia-900

yeah, straight talk works with att locked phones. as far as getting att to unlock it, i have yet to do so but was told that if i bought off contract, which i did, att would have no issues unlocking my phone. if you buy on contract then yes they make you wait 6 months. i'll call att and get back to you.

I hope that's the case. I'm currently on T-Mo prepaid but would be willing to change to StraightTalk for the 920. However I'm moving out of the country in March and would it need unlocked by then.. hopefully my buying it off contract would make it easy for me.

maeh2k

Hey does anyone know if Rogers/Bell will have Data Sense up here?

Why do I have a feeling I already know the answer :(

No idea, but Microsoft believes that soon pretty much every carrier will have it. For now it's limited to Verizon (maybe as a trial before a wider roll-out).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Podcast support is definitely broken on my phone. I'm off to find a third party app that hopefully works. Thanks Microsoft. I hope that you sleep well tonight.

toff74

Is there a way of downloading playlists off XBOX music onto the phone? the only way I've found is downloading the individual tracks and re-creating the playlist myself. Not the most elegant really!!

I ask because my gym doesn't have any network coverage or wifi so I couldn't stream it.

I cant even do that (create the playlist on the phone)

thirty

Banned
Wow, just tried to create a playlist on my phone and the functionally has improved from a 0 out of 10 to a 1 out of 10.

edit: no, it's still a zero. It allows you to create a playlist of the album, artist, or genre that you are playing but it gives you no option to pick and choose what you want on the playlist. Might as well just play that album, artist, or genre as it does the exact same function as "playlists."

infuckincredible.

Adding insult to injury, I can't even delete the podcast subscriptions from my phone. Even after I delete the episodes and unsubscribe, the podcasts remain, mocking me.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=95F6D5F428A024A3!4855&authkey=!AOBVnkEc2N0AEOM

edit: what's the quickest way to directly link to the photo so it shows up in this thread rather than using a link like I just did, without using a PC?

I don't think there is a way, or at least I haven't found how to do it. The Skydrive app "share" just give you a link. I end up just using imgur "uploade" when I am on the phone. Microsoft need to add that to Skydrive.

Ugh..so close yet so far. I am hoping they are fast with Windows Phone 8 with update and bug fix.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Tried slapdash, it didn't work well at all. I give up, no music or podcasts for me until MS updates their desktop sync app. I'll just listen to the radio on my way to and from work. If I hadn't sold my Focus S, I'd be using that for music and podcasts. I'm truly at a loss on how they could've fucked things up this badly. To go from best in class to me hoping we had a Google Listen app on the market is truly an epic fail.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tried slapdash, it didn't work well at all. I give up, no music or podcasts for me until MS updates their desktop sync app. I'll just listen to the radio on my way to and from work. If I hadn't sold my Focus S, I'd be using that for music and podcasts. I'm truly at a loss on how they could've fucked things up this badly. To go from best in class to me hoping we had a Google Listen app on the market is truly an epic fail.

Did you try BringCast?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
or maybe the people that make the phone should market it too? worked for Samsung!

they don't have to be pretentious either, just fun and informative...

I agree, they really do need to advertise more and not just on YouTube. I always see S3 an iPhone ads on TV. I did see the Will Arnett ad the other day though.

Edit: I just went to workforwill.com, not bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The Facebook lock screen is the only one that consistently changes out of the apps i have, but the pics are compressed so much by Facebook that they look awful on my awesome screen. I hope we get more apps and that the functionality improves like live tiles have. Also, Bing has been stinking it up with their pictures lately. A blurry smoke cloud and laughing llamas? Come on guys, you were pretty much flawless before.

edit: as I type that, today's Bing picture is gorgeous.

SeanR1221

Bing backgrounds is broken for me. Only updates when I change to a picture then change back.

I can honestly say I have no regrets leaving iOS and love my 920 now that I'm not having battery issues. Glad I made the switch.

PG2G

Wow, just tried to create a playlist on my phone and the functionally has improved from a 0 out of 10 to a 1 out of 10.

edit: no, it's still a zero. It allows you to create a playlist of the album, artist, or genre that you are playing but it gives you no option to pick and choose what you want on the playlist. Might as well just play that album, artist, or genre as it does the exact same function as "playlists."

infuckincredible.

You should be able to add individual songs to "Now Playing" and then save "Now Playing" as a playlist, right? My only issues is... how do you start with an empty "Now Playing" playlist.

thirty

Banned
You should be able to add individual songs to "Now Playing" and then save "Now Playing" as a playlist, right? My only issues is... how do you start with an empty "Now Playing" playlist.
ahha, it worked. You have to play an individual song first then add additional songs. Editing playlist seems to be nonexistent though.

Now now, nothing WP related was ever rushed to release.

i1MsJCEYzttlA.gif

Wow they really need to fix this Xbox store mess. How could Windows Phone 8 not support video bought on Zune or Xbox. WTF Microsoft...

I love both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 but this is one clusters fuck of a launch. How could their features go backwards...they want to compete with Google and Apple with such shitty joke of a support foe their own eco system.

Wow they really need to fix this Xbox store mess. How could Windows Phone 8 not support video bought on Zune or Xbox. WTF Microsoft...

I love both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 but this is one clusters fuck of a launch. How could their features go backwards...they want to compete with Google and Apple with such shitty joke of a support foe their own eco system.

Wasn't there a similar disconnect between Xbox Zune and WP 7.x Zune? Anytime I rented a movie on Zune via Xbox, it never let me play it on the desktop Zune app/my phone.

Absolutely idiotic, either way.

Wasn't there a similar disconnect between Xbox Zune and WP 7.x Zune? Anytime I rented a movie on Zune via Xbox, it never let me play it on the desktop Zune app/my phone.

Absolutely idiotic, either way.
I could always play contents I bought on Zune via Xbox on my Windows Phone 7. This is no longer true with WP8. Idiotic is putting it mildly. It defeat the whole point of staying in Windows eco, at this point I might as well go back to Apple or start new with Google.

Jallopy

True, the Zune software is a thing of beauty. I understand giving the option to drag & drop, but the sync client seems to be a giant step back.

https://mobile.twitter.com/robgreenlee/status/270646127957782529

The MS podcast market content guy is asking for feedback on wp8 podcast support to be posted here

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ns/suggestions/2158481-better-podcast-support

Not sure if he just wants people to stop annoying him on twitter or if they'll actually act on suggestions.

Hopefully enough people from outside of the US will give them feedback to make them take it seriously.

Quick, everyone spam him for Zune Client Syncing Support!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The person in charge of the sync apps should honestly be fired or demoted.

I've been saying this for the last few pages. Even when you think it synced well, you look at your phone and find it empty. It crashes, it misreads podcasts, it either reads iTunes playlists or Zune ones, not both. It miss-tags your music, I could go on. And I wouldn't care if Zune sync wasn't so great for me.

Heretic

For those of you that ordered Cyan from AT&T, what was your estimated delivery time? I ordered mine of Friday and it still says Pending Shipment. It's been half a work day and I demand updates!

For those of you that ordered Cyan from AT&T, what was your estimated delivery time? I ordered mine of Friday and it still says Pending Shipment. It's been half a work day and I demand updates!

(Pre)ordered mine on Wednesday, 11/7. I don't think it was even shipped until the night of 11/9. It arrived 11/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom