• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

I think I found out the culprit behind my Lumia 800 battery woes. This piece of shit right here:

2zBoE.jpg

Nokia AC-10x

2 hours on 3g with this (just your everyday normal use like browsing GAF, reading feeds with Weave and texting with Whatsapp) and my phone is down to 40%. After that it died on standby after 2 or 3 hours and even battery saver mode couldn't help.

So I decided to either restore back to factory settings or trying my luck with the original Lumia 800 charger, the Nokia AC-16x:

oOFWh.jpg

And the difference is night and day! 3 hours since last charge and still at 80%.

I only used my old AC-10x charger because the cord was longer and perfect for bed time use but never again!

Of course, I need to test it more at least till the end of the day but so far so good.

The only difference between the two cords that I can tell is the output power (AC-10x = 1200 mA while the AC-16x = 1000 mA) so maybe that's the cause?

gcubed

that would be really weird if it was the cause considering the one you were using has a higher output (the phone would still pull whatever it requested under that amount). If it's better for you i wouldn't question it! Thats what counts

MCD

that would be really weird if it was the cause considering the one you were using has a higher output (the phone would still pull whatever it requested under that amount). If it's better for you i wouldn't question it! Thats what counts

Could be a bad unit but I don't have another to test.

I just hope it stays this way, I am not in the mood for buying a new phone any time soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Rogers finally lists Windows Phone as Windows Phone now on the website. No more Windows Mobile. Things are looking up.

Korey

I'm getting a Trophy next week. Does anyone have recommendations for:

a) A screen protector. Is this needed? The phone has gorilla glass. If you think so, links to recommendations?

b) A skin/case. Should be as invisible or thin as possible (not add too much bulk).

Dazzla

I'm fairly certain I'm going to pick up a Lumia 900 when it hits the UK.

Couldn't even wait that long though, bought a Lumia 710 to play with. It was a bargain £129 from Carphone Warehouse. Ridiculous price for an unlocked Lumia 710. Leave the iPhone to gather dust for a while.

Magni

for 99$ tempted to go buy the lumia to tide me over until the iphone5. Really want to try the windows os. Can you turn off that dumb thing where words appear above you when your texting? I really love that the iphone doesnt do that. Where it tries to predict what youre saying.

What? I hate the way iOS does autocorrect, to each his own I guess.

Heh, I do like the suggestion that any future Mac OSX products should get a 4 for ecosystem since Windows has millions of apps more.

That's awesome haha. I wouldn't give OSX a 4, but I wouldn't give WP a 4 either. 75k apps, we're getting there guys.

On a side note, I really really hope Paper comes to Windows 8 soon.

frontieruk

Couldn't even wait that long though, bought a Lumia 710 to play with. It was a bargain £129 from Carphone Warehouse. Ridiculous price for an unlocked Lumia 710. Leave the iPhone to gather dust for a while.

really? £130? tempted to buy that just to give the missus a zune pass.
apparently not, it's an ugly phone, her loss.

giga

Heh, I do like the suggestion that any future Mac OSX products should get a 4 for ecosystem since Windows has millions of apps more.
I don't care about number of apps. I care about quality ones and WP7 is missing several. OS X has most of its bases covered as well. It's a very valid complaint.

frontieruk

Justin Long ended up making "Mac" look obnoxious sometimes.

that covers hipsters then...

Commodore

The Verge forums are still veeeery upset, hahaha.

For Josh:

1MaHO.jpg

Doubt even this hypothetical would have changed his mind. He was reviewing the Windows Phone ecosystem more than the phone. His prerogative though. The ecosystem and some of the apps aren't great performers and we're still missing big apps. For a large group of people however, his complaints are meaningless.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I don't care about number of apps. I care about quality ones and WP7 is missing several. OS X has most of its bases covered as well. It's a very valid complaint.

its not really valid, because the market share isn't there. it doesn't make sense for devs to make apps for such a small market. MS can't do anything about that, they can't physically make devs make apps for market they have no interest in.

"Hi, I'm a Mac." "And I'm a PC"

Apple isn't above doing attack ads.

and it made em look petty. well imo anyways.

giga

its not really valid, because the market share isn't there. it doesn't make sense for devs to make apps for such a small market. MS can't do anything about that, they can't physically make devs make apps for market they have no interest in.
It is valid, even if it's not Microsoft's fault. That's why it was rated under the ecosystem category. Microsoft, Apple, or Google can nurture a platform all they want, but in the end it's not up to them since they don't have complete control over the market and third parties.

frontieruk

It is valid, even if it's not Microsoft's fault. That's why it was rated under the ecosystem category. Microsoft, Apple, or Google can nurture a platform all they want, but in the end it's not up to them since they don't have complete control over the market and third parties.

Will the Apollo/Win8 improve the situation? i.e. a wp7 app can quickly be modified to run on the desktop, will that appeal to devs or will they release the app for the desktop and ignore the wp segment?

Sean

Banned
That's awesome haha. I wouldn't give OSX a 4, but I wouldn't give WP a 4 either. 75k apps, we're getting there guys.

On a side note, I really really hope Paper comes to Windows 8 soon.

It has a decent number of apps now, but it's still lacking a ton of major ones. Almost all of the banking apps (Citibank, Chase, American Express), Mint, Dropbox/Box.net, Pandora, MLB, Square, Zinio, Flipboard, Instagram, Hipstamatic, Pinterest, Tumblr, Urbanspoon. Xfinity/Verizon Fios/HBO Go/Showtime... Gaming wise they don't have most of the currently huge titles like Angry Birds Rio/Seasons/Space, Draw Something, Words with Friends, Cut the Rope, etc.

They still have a very long way to go when it comes to the ecosystem.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Those ads were very popular.
not with me =/

but then that makes the ecosystem category inessential. its not fair to give an phone a lower score because of an app library.

gcubed

not with me =/

but then that makes the ecosystem category inessential. its not fair to give an phone a lower score because of an app library.

why not? the review isn't just for the piece of metal and plastic, its for the entire thing, including its OS and its ecosystem. Its a Windows Phone, or a IPhone or an Android phone, not just a phone (as long as his ecosystem reviews are consistent across all reviews... did he review the N9?)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
why not? the review isn't just for the piece of metal and plastic, its for the entire thing, including its OS and its ecosystem. Its a Windows Phone, or a IPhone or an Android phone, not just a phone (as long as his ecosystem reviews are consistent across all reviews... did he review the N9?)

but its not. the 900 got the lowest score out of all the mango devices.

giga

2010 vs 2012. Ratings aren't constant. Neither is the market.

Honestly, putting a number on things is something I'm not a fan of at all. People focus on that instead of the text.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
and it made em look petty. well imo anyways.

Which is why companies do different types of ads. Some people respond to one type and some to others. If the "attack" ads are done with humour I don't think it'll completely turn people off from that company; see Apple.

2010 vs 2012. Ratings aren't constant. Neither is the market.

Honestly, putting a number on things is something I'm not a fan of at all. People focus on that instead of the text.

Mango wasn't out in 2010.

giga

Which is why companies do different types of ads. Some people respond to one type and some to others. If the "attack" ads are done with humour I don't think it'll completely turn people off from that company; see Apple.

Mango wasn't out in 2010.
Didn't say it was. I'm saying earlier WP7 phones might have scored higher than the 900, and that it's meaningless because they review based on current market conditions and expectations.

Korey

Makes sense. If you're going to write a review about a game console, the selection and quality of games on it will factor into the review, no matter how good or bad the hardware is.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Didn't say it was. I'm saying earlier WP7 phones might have scored higher than the 900, and that it's meaningless because they review based on current market conditions and expectations.

The post you replied to said:

Makes sense. If you're going to write a review about a game console, the selection and quality of games on it will factor into the review, no matter how good or bad the hardware is.

I think that most are upset that many of his quibbles are developer-related (not taking advantage of fast resume, poor scrolling in some apps). His complaint about the lack of apps is valid (especially games, which MS has long since dropped the ball on), but he doesn't mention any of the great things inherent in the OS (Zune Pass being a big one, as mentioned). It just seems lazy.

At the end of the day, it's still just one review from one person. A lot of the other reviews are much more positive. Disappointing to hear about the subpar sound/speaker, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Giving the Verge attention for an outlier review score is playing right into their hands. I agree with most of what he wrote, so just ignore the score (which is still decent) and focus on his overall point about MS needing to pick up the pace on evolving the platform. We've all made that same point in one way or another.

The reviews prove out what we all suspected: this phone represents the pinnacle of wp7 as its currently architectured. This is as far as we can take the platform until Apollo.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Whoops, I read the post as just general WP7 devices, including 7.0. That point still stands.

no. because i broke that points legs and now it walks with a limp. admit it, putting a number on ecosystems is only good in concept but outside an ideal world it falls apart in practice, they're are too many variables to account for.

The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive. Giving the Verge attention for an outlier review score is playing right into their hands. I agree with most of what he wrote, so just ignore the score (which is still decent) and focus on his overall point about MS needing to pick up the pace on evolving the platform. We've all made that same point in one way or another.

The reviews prove out what we all suspected: this phone represents the pinnacle of wp7 as its currently architectured. This is as far as we can take the platform until Apollo.

qft. As I will start to work on WP in a little over two months, criticism will surely help steer the conversation towards how MS can improve the operating system. The ecosystem can only improve if there are more people on the platform. It fits my needs, personally, but I definitely understand where he is coming from.

The multi-tasking needs some work, clearly, for power users. Skype is unacceptable at present....but I can't really fault MS since we basically could do NOTHING with any devs at skype until the acquisition was fully approved and all that jazz, which didn't happen until late december (I think).

The jabs at the OS are the best things I take out of the review, though it stings when I read them, because they can help give more preference towards use-cases that certain segments of the population use.

kharma45

My brother got the 12070 update today on his Lumia 800 and the battery life on it is phenomenal now, Nokia has done a great job sorting out whatever was draining it.

Milchjon

My brother got the 12070 update today on his Lumia 800 and the battery life on it is phenomenal now, Nokia has done a great job sorting out whatever was draining it.

Sounds great! Now if only I knew when T-Mobile Germany will push it out.

Fuck, just checked. Apparently it's the only carrier whose customers have to wait 2 weeks longer. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I think my Lumia 800 has the battery crisis too - I left the battery to drain a few days ago and it's refusing to charge at all. I plugged it into my computer and accidentally formatted it in frustration... am I fucked? Maybe I should attempt the blowdryer treatment to heat up the battery slightly... or is that just idiocy?

Commodore

I've read a ton of reviews over the past couple days now and honestly the best review I've come across that was balanced weighted across negatives and positives was Engadget's review of all places.

I thought the clincher was well put.

In that context, the Lumia 900 comes off as yet another decent offering on AT&T's increasingly bountiful LTE lineup. Dispense of Espoo's rose-colored glasses and the case for this middle of the road Lumia becomes somewhat clearer. Filter out the marketing noise and focus on its superb performance as a reliable point-and-shoot and now you've got a winner. Toss in those considerable network speeds and default access to Internet Sharing and, suddenly, it's a shining star. Sprinkle all of that with an attractive polycarbonate case, a saturated and legible display and the magic eraser of its $99 on two-year contract pricing and, ipso facto, you've got a no-brainer purchase staring you in the face. Does the Lumia 900 fail to find its place amongst other smartphone hulks? Well, yes. But again, it's playing in a league of Windows Phone's single-core own. With the careful cultivation of a cultish, fashion-conscious consumer following, however, this could very well be Nokia's greatest hit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yep, Engadget and Gizmodo had good reviews, as did anandtech and even CNET. I think Nokia has to be pleased with the critical reception and is hoping for an equally positive commercial response.

NeOak

My eyes are still sore from the verge's Cyan Lumia 900 with a Red accent color photo.

Whoever took that pic should be shot.

Hmm.. not when it comes to game which is why I still rather used Windows PC. Isn't that the same argument against Windows Phone (not that's it's inaccurate, they are right but fair is fair).

Commodore

My eyes are still sore from the verge's Cyan Lumia 900 with a Red accent color photo.

Whoever took that pic should be shot.

It was odd how the review units came with that red theme along with the cyan version of the 900, even weirder was when they'd hit the back for some semi multitasking action and the background wasn't black, it was magenta? It this a Nokia exclusive thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom