• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

It was odd how the review units came with that red theme along with the cyan version of the 900, even weirder was when they'd hit the back for some semi multitasking action and the background wasn't black, it was magenta? It this a Nokia exclusive thing?

No, he changed it to magenta as seen in other pics. Red and magenta themes are pure abominations in terms of colors for a blue colored phone. Done on purpose to make people cringe :/

GJS

I think my Lumia 800 has the battery crisis too - I left the battery to drain a few days ago and it's refusing to charge at all. I plugged it into my computer and accidentally formatted it in frustration... am I fucked? Maybe I should attempt the blowdryer treatment to heat up the battery slightly... or is that just idiocy?
It does that, you just have to put it on/off charge a couple of times until it vibrates and turns on by itself.

JaggedSac

suntimes.com said:
It also forces me to realize just how little onscreen clutter a mobile OS requires. After I’ve used Windows Phone for several days, my iPhone screen suddenly seems . . . untidy.

Couldn't agree more.

suntimes.com said:
What must I conclude about Windows Phone? When we jettison any childish and utterly useless interest in who’s selling how many units, and how many apps are in which store, and where this OS was after two years relative to this other one, I’m left with the conclusion that Windows Phone is about as good as Android or iOS.

My take on this is informed by my own experience as a Mac user. Why did I use a Mac for so many years, despite the fact that PCs running DOS could do so much more, for so many years? Simple: I had no interest in a computer that could do the things that a PC could do. I wanted one that could do things that at the time, only a Mac could do.

+10 respect for Andy Ihnatko.

So the gdgt guys just recommended a Windows Phone for the first time. Its a rare thing apparently. Currently they only are recommending the 4S and the Galaxy Nexus. So the 900 fits in with that fine company according to them. Nice little endorsement considering the gdgt guys pedigree in the tech blog industry.

http://gdgt.com/discuss/with-the-lum...re-s-why-1822/

Just saw this too. Pretty cool.

PG2G

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/t...soft-wields-its-checkbook.html?pagewanted=all

Ben Huh, chief executive of the Cheezburger Network, a collection of humor and entertainment sites, said Microsoft’s market share was too small to warrant in-house development of a Windows Phone app. But when Microsoft approached his company about making an application featuring funny photos of cats, he agreed. “They made it very easy for us,” he said. “They took care of everything.”

The f*ck?

Commodore

Great review of not just of the 900 but Windows Phone in general. Read it!

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/11730729-452/can-windows-phone-and-nokia-lumia-900-take-on-iphone-android.html

Also apparently the 900 is shipping in Canada to those who pre-ordered.

Damn. That was one of the better Windows Phone platform reviews I've read. He seemed to finally grasp what made it different and understood users who might love it and expressed how than I've seen yet.

Liked this part:

You need to appreciate Windows Phone as a terrific solution to inadequacies that Microsoft saw in existing phones. You can’t really put Windows Phone and another OS into a table of features and fill the grid with green checkmarks and red crosses. That approach kind of works when you compare iOS to Android; you’re comparing NFL football to Canadian league football. Comparing Windows Phone to iOS is like comparing baseball to hockey. You can’t possibly determine that one is better than the other. You can only figure out which of these appeals to you, personally. You’re the person who’s going to be using it. If Windows Phone is the right phone for you, what does it matter that it isn’t the right phone for other people?

Really well put. Obviously Windows Phone isn't the type of OS Topolsky diggs, but it seemed to me his review was too far bent into trying to compare it to other platforms. Like he was trying to cram the way he does things on his Nexus/iPhone into what how he uses a Windows Phone. I think Ihnatko's OS discovery review book ends nicely between Josh's review that went after parts of the OS that hadn't evolved since he last used it. Just solid viewpoints and definitely stuff to think about in terms of varying perspectives.

Finally got the 1600.2487.8107.12070 sw update to my Lumia 800, and after half a day of use it seems to fix at least some of the problems with the Qualcomm chipset. The phone is no longer warm to the touch all the time when it's just sitting in my pocket...

Talked about the stores a bit in the other thread, the pace of opening new stores is rapidly increasing. Tally is now at 15 open and 5 more coming soon.

Overland Park, Kansas is the latest store to be announced.

PG2G

Don't know if anyone ever posted it here, but i saw on the gaming forum that ms. Splosion man is coming to PC, ios, and WP. Was a huge fan of the original on live arcade

Milchjon

the images are not blurry enough, its clearly a fake.

They're probably taken with a Nokia, of course they're not blurry ;-)

Looks pretty awful, though. I guess it would be impossible to combine the Lumia 800/900 form factor with the PureView technology.

Dazzla

You can buy a Lumia 710 in the UK for just £129 now

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/NOKIA_LUMIA_710/PPAY/NEW

The lower hardware spec just seems pointless now unless it comes in at <£100 but the Lumia 610 RRP is €189.

I actually just picked mine up for £119 completely unlocked. Just gave them my girlfriends PAYG number and they put it through as an upgrade. Knocked a tenner off and negated the need for the £10 top up. Absolute bargain and a really, really nice phone.

Build quality is actually really good. It feels incredibly light next to an iPhone 4. Although made of seemingly less premium materials, it actually feels a hell of a lot better than my Omnia 7. It's refreshing to have hardware buttons as well!

thirty

Banned
dat nokia windows phone 8 pureview
image33.png

image34.png

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The sensor and lens are so large (for a smartphone) that the protrusion it creates probably effects the form but I have to try it in hand. I just hope its comfortable, I tend to hold my smartphones fairly high if I'm one handing it. The form on those mystery pones looks as though it'll force you to hold it where its curved.

giga

Hmm.. not when it comes to game which is why I still rather used Windows PC. Isn't that the same argument against Windows Phone (not that's it's inaccurate, they are right but fair is fair).
Not for me it isn't. I don't play games and I don't think that gaming accounts for a big reason that most regular consumers would buy a similarly priced Windows notebook over a Macbook. And if they did, there's always boot camp.

The situation is probably different for phones, where regular consumers want the latest angry birds, draw whatever, and so on.

thirty

Banned
curved glass of the pure view probably helps keep reflections down.

glad it looks good, i really didn't care if it looked good i just wanted pure view tech in a windows phone.

PG2G

That's what I'm expecting them to have.

The S4, WP Apollo plus Nokia's PureView camera and I'll definitely upgrade.

You think so? I'm expecting that the Pro is more aimed at WoA tablets, with the beefier GPU helping to get to "retina" resolutions.

kharma45

You think so? I'm expecting that the Pro is more aimed at WoA tablets, with the beefier GPU helping to get to "retina" resolutions.

Well if HTC (and I presume others) are putting it in to their phones I don't see why Nokia and others wouldn't for their WP devices.

Can't see them using the older dual core ones with the Adreno 220 in it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That wp7 pureview phone will likely be available by the time my upgrade is due next year. Should be enough to keep me hooked to the platform.

PG2G

There is the S4 and the S4 Pro. The S4 has the Adreno 225, the S4 Pro has the Adreno 320.

This "leak" suggests that this phone will use the Pro, which has a GPU that is much nicer than the normal S4. I guess it could be using it to help deal with those massive images?

PG2G

Windows Phone 8: What's Microsoft's developer story?

Here’s what I’ve heard about XNA. As Windos 8 developers know, Microsoft has decided not to include XNA support for WinRT/Metro in Windows 8. It’s only supported on the Desktop. With Windows Phone 8, according to one of my tipsters, Microsoft still will support XNA in the Windows Phone 8 software development kit, but will be pushing developers to write games for the platform using DirectX and native code, not XNA — just like the case with Windows 8.

Praise the lord

When will we finally hear more information about Windows Phone 8 from Microsoft? Sources say it could be soon, like May….

My body is ready

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I assume Tango really is just a trimmed down Mango for low cost markets. That means I could potentially being going a year in between updates from MS and AT&T since Mango was last what Sept. coupled with AT&Ts refusal to push security updates.

Ugh.... Talk about moving at a snails pace.

GJS

That supposed nokia concept leak looks far too concave, and it doesn't seem wide enough as if the perspective is off or something.

It is however reminiscent of the 610 and 710 designs.

That supposed nokia concept leak looks far too concave, and it doesn't seem wide enough as if the perspective is off or something.

It is however reminiscent of the 610 and 710 designs.

Yeah, if it's a real concept, I wouldn't be surprised if the curve is less exaggerated in the release.

PG2G

So I assume Tango really is just a trimmed down Mango for low cost markets. That means I could potentially being going a year in between updates from MS and AT&T since Mango was last what Sept. coupled with AT&Ts refusal to push security updates.

Ugh.... Talk about moving at a snails pace.

Tango does add additional features like voice notes and the ability to send multiple images over MMS (not sure what else there is). AT&T has already expressed interest in releasing Tango.

JaggedSac

Not just games, all apps. Maybe that's the reason many third party apps can't scroll smoothly.

Most app developers would probably be better off still using the abstracted APIs for ease of development, but yes, certain use cases might require native code to perform well. Browsers, Skype, etc. I personally haven't noticed this scrolling issue. Can you give me an app example? I would like to download it and see if I am having the same issues. Have a feeling it is just poor development work.

Tomcat

Most app developers would probably be better off still using the abstracted APIs for ease of development, but yes, certain use cases might require native code to perform well. Browsers, Skype, etc. I personally haven't noticed this scrolling issue. Can you give me an app example? I would like to download it and see if I am having the same issues. Have a feeling it is just poor development work.

after mango if you come across an app that has bad scrolling is syrely bad programming
but yes which apps are we talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom