• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Smile Precure - 08

Haha wasn't expecting them to go through with
cure candy,
oh the insanity.

Next episode is all about Cure Peace, I'm readying the equipment for cardiac arrest as we speak.

Thoraxes

Instro

Smile Precure 8

That was probably the best battle in the series thus far, which is nice considering last weeks action was pretty weak.
Mascots becoming Pretty Cures? Crazy.

Geneijin

It started off as a semi-fantasy grounded in the real world. The plot and characters didn't seem too unrealistic for me. To the end, it was unbelievable and unrelatable to me so that's why i said it had an 'unrealistic plot'.
Yeah, unless you're able to recall exactly when and what made it unbelievable and unrelatable to you, I'm not seeing your point about an unrealistic plot. The show's been consistent despite some terrible plot points, so I don't think you're accurately assessing for yourself your problems with the show. Near the end, it got more melodramatic - the riverbank scene, the shrine scene, etc - and it lingered because of the love triangle and fireworks, but it remained true to what it was.

Nah, I got your meaning. It's just I have a different standard to which I judge shows and I can be biased if a certain element of the show is fantastic. If the music is especially good, my general opinion of the show is most likely going to go up. It may be a double standard but I put more emphasis on areas I'm more experienced with.
Yeah, then it's a double standard and I find that a bit deplorable. I can see congratulating individual components of a show, but good music shouldn't be a substitute for substance, which you may be doing when elevating your opinion of a show. Then it's not really the show that's good but the music, which people don't often give sole credit for when that could be the exact case. Now if you mentioned the music direction, that's a different discussion, but if we're talking only about the music? I see you doing this with Ano Hana and have to state you are doing such.

Just to clear up my stance, I don't think Ano Hana is great but it's not terribly bad either. It certainly has a lot of potential but much of that is lost through Okada's writing. In general, I'd consider it slightly above average by virtue of its stronger music and visual elements.
So you think it's a good or bad show? I think it's a bad show. That's been my main contention since.

I felt the meandering plot was fine although I can see why it might be a problem to you.
When that meandering plot was busy achieving insignificance, it's not really different from the meandering plot in Nisemonogatari's. It's just less obvious.

I felt their established character archetypes and their backstory were decent enough to communicate the conflict over to the viewer. The character development was not very well done or even non-existent for some characters but, to me, that was acceptable in the course of the relationships between characters.
That was the basis of the story. Those established ideas were appealing. The character dynamics had potential. But they never became more than that flashback scene at the secret base. There were no tangible reasons given for why everyone idolized Menma so much, why Anaru wanted to imitate Menma beyond that reason, why Yukiatsu fell in love with Menma, why Jintan developed a crush on Menma, etc. The story in essence was shallow and forgettable. We were literally going through the emotions with each dropped plot point. Drama for the sake of drama. I don't see how appealing ideas = a good show.

I still felt the conflict was tangible and their motivations relatable until the reveal,
which was when Menma wrote in the notebook.
After that, it was downhill from there to me. I just felt the characters were unrelatable from there on.
Yeah, I'm not sure you're using the correct word here. The characters were consistent. If there was something offputting, it wouldn't be because they were suddenly unrelatable. Maybe you were disinterested in the later revelations you're not accrediting it for.

It felt like a strong drama to me. They each had inner conflict and some were between each other (Yukiatsu vs Yadomi). I thought the most interesting conflict was the inner guilt born from how they each blamed themselves for a certain part of Menma's death.
And they were interesting character motivations. Nothing more. They came at opportune times for maximum melodrama to guilt you into sympathy when it should have been developed instead beforehand. That isn't strong drama to me when it's forced like that.

It's been interesting debating with you and I agree with many of your points. I just think that I might have a unique standard of what is strong drama and acceptable character development and this is why we're still debating this. I'm generally a bit more forgiving in terms of plot to series as long as it doesn't bore me/grind on my nerves and has good music/visuals. I like a good narrative but I can watch a bad show just for its music. It also doesn't help I'm still a noob in terms of anime. I haven't seen as much as any of the others in this thread so maybe I'm not as jaded. Not to mention I sometimes don't mind watching trashy shows :p
While I can respect a unique standard since everyone has a different sense of entertainment value including me and why we're having this discussion perhaps, I also think your standard is susceptible, which I think doesn't gauge the actual quality of a work as you represent it as. Trashy shows are fine and can be good fun, but when I see something like Persona 4 that would be immensely better with a more competent staff (namely director), well, it's good to have standards.

AnoHana 11 (END)

So getting Jinta to cry was all it took? Ehhhhhh, I don't know if I can get on board that.
It makes more sense when you think
Menma gave up her life and allowed herself to drown sooner than later because of her conversation with Jintan's mother about rebirth and promising her to help counsel Jintan.

They stuffed that in in the last few episodes, so I can see how the implication could be lost.

Thoughts on the show:

Menma would be nothing more than a manifestation of Jinta's guilt and regret.
Nah, that's what it should have been. The rest? Eh, I wouldn't keep this show intact.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Smile Precure 08:

If more filler episodes can maintain this level of quality, this show is going to be AMAZING.

4VtQh.jpg

Yayoi is a fujoshi confirmed, and she's totally into yuri pairings too. The that-noise-we-can't-make faces that she was constantly making during the first few minutes after witnessing Miyuki and Candy's Cure-ied High Trip were amazing. There's something surreal about seeing a moe character dying of moe herself.

As if Peace wasn't trying to explode my heart enough, her increasing levels of embarrassment as
Candy-as-Miyuki
makes an ass of herself in school were something to behold:

I'm pretty impressed that they actually bothered to animate
a transformation sequence for Cure Candy
, and the battle was surprisingly a huge step up from the past couple of weeks. The
tiny Akanbe
was the perfect opponent, and
Candy
made suitably creative use out of her
prehensile hair
. I know I'm heavily bias, but
March riding the Akanbe like a mechanical bull
might have been the highlight.

The policeman trying to help the old hag got a laugh out of me, too. OBAAAA-CHAAAAAAN! OBAAAAAAAAAA-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

I'm actually a little afraid to watch next week's episode, I might have to install Life Alert. Cajun should just skip it altogether.

cajunator

Banned
http://lag-rin.com/kamogawadays/

Flower declaration of your heart is already getting an OVA. Preview theatrical event in June. Kamogawa Days!

More Rinne is a welcome sight. I'm returning back to watching it soon. I need my WanMaru.

emunoz: Thinking of you, I went back and relived my pain.

NTHT 1
NTHT 2
NTHT 3
NTHT 4
NTHT 5
NTHT 6
NTHT 7
NTHT 8
NTHT 9
NTHT 10
NTHT 11, 12
NTHT 13

You felt pain, I felt enjoyment. Truly different strokes. I did watch this when anime was still new and exciting for me, so maybe that clouded the actual percieved quality of it a little bit. I still don't think I would dislike it if I watched it again.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Smile Precure 08:

If more filler episodes can maintain this level of quality, this show is going to be AMAZING.

Yayoi is a fujoshi confirmed, and she's totally into yuri pairings too. The that-noise-we-can't-make faces that she was constantly making during the first few minutes after witnessing Miyuki and Candy's Cure-ied High Trip were amazing. There's something surreal about seeing a moe character dying of moe herself.

As if Peace wasn't trying to explode my heart enough, her increasing levels of embarrassment as
Candy-as-Miyuki
makes an ass of herself in school were something to behold:

I'm pretty impressed that they actually bothered to animate
a transformation sequence for Cure Candy
, and the battle was surprisingly a huge step up from the past couple of weeks. The
tiny Akanbe
was the perfect opponent, and
Candy
made suitably creative use out of her
prehensile hair
. I know I'm heavily bias, but
March riding the Akanbe like a mechanical bull
might have been the highlight.

The policeman trying to help the old hag got a laugh out of me, too. OBAAAA-CHAAAAAAN! OBAAAAAAAAAA-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

I'm actually a little afraid to watch next week's episode, I might have to install Life Alert. Cajun should just skip it altogether.

I must say I was not expecting Smile Precure to be as good as it is, hopefully they can keep this up for 40 or so more episodes.

Shakugan no Shana III Final 1-24
That was actually rather decent season. At least compared to down right horrible second season. Plot was pretty messy but action scenes made up for it with pretty nice animation. J.C Staff probably spent all their budget to Shana this season lol. Had also rather nice ending
I'm sucker for happy endings!

Thoraxes

Shakugan no Shana III Final 1-24
That was actually rather decent season. At least compared to down right horrible second season. Plot was pretty messy but action scenes made up for it with pretty nice animation. J.C Staff probably spent all their budget to Shana this season lol. Had also rather nice ending
I'm sucker for happy endings!

J.C. Staff gave both their flat-chested tsundere kugilolis good seasons and good
endings.

Truly, the world is coming to an end. I really enjoyed the end of Shana and ZnT, and am really satisfied.

NewFresh

You felt pain, I felt enjoyment. Truly different strokes. I did watch this when anime was still new and exciting for me, so maybe that clouded the actual percieved quality of it a little bit. I still don't think I would dislike it if I watched it again.

Interesting isn't it? I really never expected to dislike it that much since so many love it.

Makoto

It makes more sense when you think
Menma gave up her life and allowed herself to drown sooner than later because of her conversation with Jintan's mother about rebirth and promising her to help counsel Jintan.

They stuffed that in in the last few episodes, so I can see how the implication could be lost.
Eh, I dunno,
willing giving up seems sort of weird for her character. Jinta claims Menma always thinks of others but not fighting to survive implies that she was only thinking about Jinta's Mom and the Peace Busters while her family is going to bear the brunt of the sadness. Or maybe I'm not understanding the quoted.

Geneijin

Eh, I dunno,
willing giving up seems sort of weird for her character. Jinta claims Menma always thinks of others but not fighting to survive implies that she was only thinking about Jinta's Mom and the Peace Busters while her family is going to bear the brunt of the sadness. Or maybe I'm not understanding the quoted.
It's basically a remnant of Okada's writing I wanted to point out because the implication is ridiculous.

qcf x2

Steins;Gate 9 - Shit is starting to get real, but...

tell me this isn't a gigantic plot hole. Tell me it gets explained. If not, I'm out:
Nyan-girl used HER cell phone, in HER apartment, and because it happened to be sent while the microwave was active in Okarin/Kyouma's "lab," the message was sent to the past? What exactly determines whose message gets sent to the past? I know there were knobs on the microwave, so hopefully they just adjusted some parameters to home in on one particular phone,
but... seems like I missed something here.

Cwarrior

Dame it I need to get round to "Now! and Then!, Here! and There!" but am not sure anymore

Okada is Japanese for train wreck though!

Boring train ride down the same line never deviating off the same old beaten tracks and riding with the same annoyingly bland uninteresting passengers/characters =ano natsu

I would much rather ride the unrestrained okado train where everyone has gone mad and as the train rides on the edge of that cliff you run around trying to warn the conductor okado the train is out control only for her to uncontrollably let out an insane laugh saying “i will end it all, i cannot and will not stop until it’s all nothing but burning rubble”, conductor okada then makes her escape to lead another train to its doom.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Steins;Gate 9 - Shit is starting to get real, but...

tell me this isn't a gigantic plot hole. Tell me it gets explained. If not, I'm out:
Nyan-girl used HER cell phone, in HER apartment, and because it happened to be sent while the microwave was active in Okarin/Kyouma's "lab," the message was sent to the past? What exactly determines whose message gets sent to the past? I know there were knobs on the microwave, so hopefully they just adjusted some parameters to home in on one particular phone,
but... seems like I missed something here.
Haven't watched the show in awhile but I am pretty sure the message was simply forwarded through another phone connected to the microwave.

Gundam Age 24

Well I guess it is interesting that the commander cant be himself on the field cause of his lasting bonds and friendship with Asemu, and Asemu is stuck
unable to be an X-rounder to compare to him

Ending was pretty sad with Mr. Grodek, a shame he had to die, but I guess revenge always comes back to haunt one :( Flit is just always surrounded by tragedy, hopefully Woolf and Asemu can avoid it.

Famassu

So-ooo... let's say I've been out of the anime-loop for... maybe 6-ish years. Any recommendations on what to watch? I like all kinds of stuff from Berserk & Cowboy Bebop to Beck, Welcome to NHK, FLCL and... everything. If fan-service can be kept to an absolute minimum, that'd be nice, although a little bit of it ain't any kind of dealbreaker if the anime is good otherwise.

EDIT: If I'd have to close some stuff out, then I don't really like overly cutesy stuff with young girl characters with high-pitched, cutesy voices... Can't stand them, really...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I must say, all these impressions have me half-inclined to jump on the Smile bandwagon. I love a good hilarious magical girl show.

I wouldn't say that all of the comedy is good, but it has enough great moments to be worth watching. The main draw is really the moe, though I also watch Precure because it scratches my action itch surprisingly well. It's not far off from being a colorful, candy-coated genderswapped shounen.

It really is better than Madoka.

Risette

A Good Citizen
So-ooo... let's say I've been out of the anime-loop for... maybe 6-ish years. Any recommendations on what to watch? I like all kinds of stuff from Berserk & Cowboy Bebop to Beck, Welcome to NHK, FLCL and... everything. If fan-service can be kept to an absolute minimum, that'd be nice, although a little bit of it ain't any kind of dealbreaker if the anime is good otherwise.

EDIT: If I'd have to close some stuff out, then I don't really like overly cutesy stuff with young girl characters with high-pitched, cutesy voices... Can't stand them, really...
Mononoke
Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko
K-ON

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Just in 2007, there's enough good series to keep you going for a while. Just a few suggestions: Baccano, TTGL, Mononoke, Code Geass, Dennou Coil, Kino's Journey, Nodame Cantabile... the list goes on and on.

Jexhius has also compiled a helpful list of various shows.

survivor

Banned

Watch Kaiji

Manliest anime ever. There isn't a single female in it. At all.

Reknoc

Another 1

Seems suitably creepy, a bit of a generic horror but that's fine as it's what I was after. Seems like it'd be a pretty good companion while I play through Corpse Party.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Mitsudomoe
Chihayafuru
Kaiji

wonzo

Banned
Kimi no Iru Machi OVA 1

Welp, I never read the manga but now I think I somewhat understand the rage. I say somewhat because it probably didn't even cover any of the really bad parts yet.

Time of Eve
Dennou Coil
The Tatami Galaxy
Giant Robo OVA
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mushishi
Kino's Journey
Soredemo
Baccano
Haibane Renmei
Trapeze
Mononoke
Angel's Egg
Glass Fleet

...to name a few

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I'd have to close some stuff out, then I don't really like overly cutesy stuff with young girl characters with high-pitched, cutesy voices... Can't stand them, really...

Yeah no.

Their voices are of reasonable pitch and drinking tea is a very gentlemanly thing to do.

Steroyd

Their voices are of reasonable pitch and drinking tea is a very gentlemanly thing to do.

Someone who has been out of anime for so long would not find K-ON's voices "reasonably pitched", hell I'd say he'd last about 5 seconds into the OP.

Milky Holmes II - END

And so it ends, pretty much how you'd expect it to end with a sprinkle of girl love.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou 11

AHAHAHA. Two of the best episodes in a row. Every single skit made me laugh out loud.

Harada's the best, hahaha. Also,
Hidenori and Yoshitake murdered that chick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom