• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Thanks to you guys I've dug into my pile of shame and start watching Legend of the Galactic heroes and.. I'm kicking myself for not starting sooner. Looks like I'll be dropping some of the meh newer anime to make room for this gem. I'm up to ep 5 and still debating which side I want to root for.

Duh. You pick the one with badass German names. (Prussian, whatever)

wonzo

Banned
Hataraki Man 7

hataraki7.jpg

First reflexology and now acupuncture and at the same place no less, thank god
what's her names moving to work somewhere else so I hopefully don't have to put up with that crap anymore.
Still, I wasn't really feeling this episode at all really. I mean, I understand the underlying theme was all about dissatisfaction with one's own work with not being able to accomplish what they really want to do sprinkled with some social commentary on management's increasingly detrimental obsessionwith productivity and efficiency gains above all else (especially the working conditions and well being of employers and customers) but it just didn't click with me like the other episodes have. Oh well, there's always next week.

We need more watchable anime to start airing really badly.
Polar Bear Cafe is still airing. Maybe more people should watch it~

Quasar

Hopefully this doesn't get me banned.

So I'm looking at starting to rip some of my anime Bluray discs to put on my media server. I'm wondering what the best but easiest way to go about this is. I could just rip the japanese audio and burn in the subs with handbrake, but thats pretty ugly, especially compared to the nice fonts fansub groups use.

Suggestions?

Risette

A Good Citizen

So I'm looking at starting to rip some of my anime Bluray discs to put on my media server. I'm wondering what the best but easiest way to go about this is. I could just rip the japanese audio and burn in the subs with handbrake, but thats pretty ugly, especially compared to the nice fonts fansub groups use.

Suggestions?
there is no easy way

I hope you have an i7

Suggestions?

I'm not sure but why burn the subs? Why not extract them in a nice srt file?

Maedhros

I think Maedhros is just pulling the "all moé anime is the same dumb creepy otaku shit" card he's pulled before in the past.

Not really, since I like CCS (it's much better than Tsubasa Chronicles at least). Not more than Jojo, though.

Not really comparing them, just saying that I enjoy one much more than the other.

Neo C.

We're going with

Going through all the sources in order to find something not super obvious/popular or extreme obscure (where's the fun if nobody recognizes it) can be very funny, I admit.

Theonik

there is no easy way

I hope you have an i7
Not true, there are programs like DVD Fab that are pretty good at ripping BDs. If you just remux to an MKV container then it's very fast even with a slow CPU. (relatively) then extracting the lossless sound converting to FLAC and remuxing is pretty trivial. (as is potentially converting SRT subs to ASS and embedding a decent looking font. (actual styling is a lot of work though)

Milamber

Not true, there are programs like DVD Fab that are pretty good at ripping BDs. If you just remux to an MKV container then it's very fast even with a slow CPU. (relatively) then extracting the lossless sound converting to FLAC and remuxing is pretty trivial. (as is potentially converting SRT subs to ASS and embedding a decent looking font. (actual styling is a lot of work though)

Aegisub works wonders.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah but ripping raw BDs is a huge waste of space.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's not a waste of space when you get something out of it. Besides, space is cheap.
Space is cheap, but you can always fit more if you slim them down. Make better utilization of space.

Also, some BDs can actually be improved with proper debanding and such as long as you know what you're doing.
3 TB WD is just under $150. What's the problem?
Because no matter how much space you have, you're still using space up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All I know is that I wish I were living in the same reality as some of the people for whom the anime industry used to churn out Cowboy Bebops all the time.
That must have been one hell of a season. Like all these shows that everyone likes came out at the same time. Amazing.

wonzo

Banned
I don't know what's worse, the pathetically insecure armchair psychologists obsessed with MANLY SHOWS for MANLY MEN or the posters getting all sad about OT coming across some shitty show and taking any of the dumb generalizations about a medium they enjoy as personal attacks. God what a shit thread.

Defuser

All I know is that I wish I were living in the same reality as some of the people for whom the anime industry used to churn out Cowboy Bebops all the time.

What a load of hyperbole. For every Cowboy bebop churn out another ten shitty animes come along. Nothing have changed.

Dresden

why is this world so cruel

On the other hand I'm hopeful that something will come out of Sengoku Youko or Spirit Circle! Mizukami will have his day.

Theonik

Space is cheap, but you can always fit more if you slim them down. Make better utilization of space.

Also, some BDs can actually be improved with proper debanding and such as long as you know what you're doing.
Space expended for BD rips however is hard-limited by your ability to acquire content, which at the rate anime BDs are released is a larger issue. (you should be able to get 6TB HDDs this year and that should be more than enough for BD rips) notice how a few years ago people were saying ripping BDs compressed or not was impossible as they had 500GB HDDs for the most part or that common DVD and BD rips were of much lower average bitrate than they are today.

And you're right about the second point though, there is a handful of releases where this is relevant, and while debanding is an improvement if done correctly in those cases, you still lose substantial quality on re-encoding.

Defuser

Taking a look at Trojita's thread again and Cajun is absolutely not contributing anything at all in the thread with his "aww so cute" posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom