• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

On one hand, I've enjoyed some "moe" anime and oftentimes don't understand the scorn some of them receive.

On the other hand, this.

cajunator

Banned
Wait is there another possible view on moe?

I always thought of moe in anime as the natural extension of the Japanese love for cute things, even outside of anime. I mean have you seen the mascot for the Orix buffaloes?
PYvTPQs.jpg

I always thought of moe in anime as the natural extension of the Japanese love for cute things, even outside of anime. I mean have you seen the mascot for the Orix buffaloes?
PYvTPQs.jpg

I didn't see her before.

Yes moe makes sense in Japanese culture. But in occidental cultures it pretty much doesn't. Or society makes you feel like it doesn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is Doki Doki Precure the first Precure to have the girls try to use (junior high) science to explain the whole Precure thing? It seems like such an obvious thing to do in hindsight. lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I didn't like K-ON at first either!

I admit, it took about 4-5 episodes for K-On to really grow on me. Now it's one of my favorites.

Wait is there another possible view on moe?

Well, I used to categorize moé anime as the super sexualized, forced panty shot, clothes flying off at the slightest touch stuff that makes the average person groan and roll their eyes with contempt. But as I've gotten older I've come to terms with the concept of moé can be much more, like super cute characters you just want to hug because they're so adorably cute. And I guess I've become (somewhat) desensitized to the sexual stuff so long as the characters don't look prepubescent.

Mature

BluWacky said:
That being said, CG aside, how do you feel about Macross Frontier?
Honestly? I enjoyed it. A lot.

Maybe that's not "popular" or "right", but I had a lot of fun with the show. It's very over-the-top, the plot gets a bit stupid, and I would have preferred Alto to have been a more fleshed-out protagonist, but it had fantastic production design, loads and LOADS of Yoko Kanno music and songs, and I liked both Sheryl and Ranka.

But then I loved Macross Zero, so my taste in these matters may be a little suspect.

I still haven't seen Macross Plus, I'm sorry world.
Oh? With your recommendation I'll definitely give it a shot. Haven't seen this or Macross 7
or DYRL >_> I'll watch it if you watch plus!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So is Doki Doki Precure the first Precure to have the girls try to use (junior high) science to explain the whole Precure thing? It seems like such an obvious thing to do in hindsight. lol
If by using science you mean "oh we put this toy under the microscope for five seconds and then totally forgot about that for the rest of the episode" then yeah.

Well, I used to categorize moé anime as the super sexualized, forced panty shot, clothes flying off at the slightest touch stuff that makes the average person groan and roll their eyes with contempt. But as I've gotten older I've come to terms with the concept of moé can be much more, like super cute characters you just want to hug because they're so adorably cute. And I guess I've become (somewhat) desensitized to the sexual stuff so long as the characters don't look prepubescent.

You're half japanese now, congrats.

I still have issues with moe. Mainly because I didn't find a plot that satisfies me in moe anime yet. It's only cute for the sake of cute.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
On one hand, I've enjoyed some "moe" anime and oftentimes don't understand the scorn some of them receive.

On the other hand, this.

There's nothing inherently wrong with moe; it's only when innocence and youth are mixed with sexualization that it becomes objectionable. That's basically it.

RurouniZel

I still have issues with moe. Mainly because I didn't find a plot that satisfies me in moe anime yet. It's only cute for the sake of cute.

For me it's just a matter of adjusting my frame of mind before watching one show vs. another. I wouldn't have the same mindset watching, say, Fate/Zero as I would for Tamako Market. I'm kind of the same way with games as well. Some games I buy for kick ass action, others I buy to unwind and not need to worry about pesky things like timing or skill. ;P

cajunator

Banned
I admit, it took about 4-5 episodes for K-On to really grow on me. Now it's one of my favorites.

Thats not really characteristic of moe anime as much as it is just fanservice anime in general, which started out with more sexualized adult bodied women and girls. (dirty Pair is an excellent example) Used to just be called fanservice anime.

Havent watched Madoka Magica?

For me it's just a matter of adjusting my frame of mind before watching one show vs. another. I wouldn't have the same mindset watching, say, Fate/Zero as I would for Tamako Market. I'm kind of the same way with games as well. Some games I buy for kick ass action, others I buy to unwind and not need to worry about pesky things like timing or skill. ;P

I didn't find the moe setup for my brain yet. I'll keep searching, though

RurouniZel

Thats not really characteristic of moe anime as much as it is just fanservice anime in general, which started out with more sexualized adult bodied women and girls. (dirty Pair is an excellent example) Used to just be called fanservice anime.

Yep, a few years ago I was one of those sorry sobs who didn't distinguish much between them. Was a bit cynical then.

New Thread!

Gintama 177

The start of another Yoshiwara arc! And it looks like it focusing on Tsukuyo's past. I'm expecting great things from this after the amazing "Yoshiwara is Burning" arc.

Moonlight

Banned
More in line with the current thread of discussion, I'm alright with moe shows. There's nothing wrong with the idea, at least. Most of them aren't for me, but it'd be hard for me to decry it when I'm sitting here watching and enjoying The Idolm@ster for reasons I'm not sure I can fully explain. I can understand the appeal, particularly when it's joined with good execution.

cajunator

Banned
Watching cute anime is good for the soul. Its just something happy and fun and pleasant to look at. well as long as its not Madoka Magica, Higurashi or Kotoura-san in which case its sometimes pleasant and sometimes soul crushing.

Jintor

I kinda want to read the manga but trying to cram the complexity of one of the game's court cases into pages is kinda confusing from what little I've read

tsubasa on any 'good' list?

We better just be talking anime and none of that manga bullllshit
clone of my clone of my dad is my clone of you clone of what clone

Moonlight

Banned
I would watch a Phoenix Wright anime.
As would I. The snippets of animation I've seen come out of Layton vs Wright only reinforces that desire.

I kinda want to read the manga but trying to cram the complexity of one of the game's court cases into pages is kinda confusing from what little I've read
If you're expecting anything approaching cohesive storytelling from the manga, you'll be disappointed. It's basically a fanbook, with a bunch of different artists contributing their own little story in one package. Some of them are just one-off jokes, some of them get a bit bigger than that, but all of them aren't at all as complex as the actual cases themselves because all of them don't really even try to be.

RurouniZel

I bet I can think of the two shows (and characters) that changed your mind.

You know, the funny thing is back when I first saw CCS I never once considered it moé at all. It was just a magical girl show to me. Then again moé wasn't a huge term circa 2001.

Jintor

If you're expecting anything approaching cohesive storytelling from the manga, you'll be disappointed. It's basically a fanbook, with a bunch of different artists contributing their own little story in one package. Some of them are just one-off jokes, some of them get a bit bigger than that, but all of them aren't at all as complex as the actual cases themselves because all of them don't really even try to be.

Hold up. I own the official casebooks which are what you are describing. However, in-stores I've seen a manga on shelves which I assumed was an ongoing series from Capcom or something. Is that the same?

Man, fuck that Kotoura-san thread. So much hate. ;_;

I'm going to stay in here with you guys where it's safe.

TAIGA~

Syrinx

There's nothing inherently wrong with moe; it's only when innocence and youth are mixed with sexualization that it becomes objectionable. That's basically it.

The issue I have is when a show that I enjoy and is generally above that goes too far in that direction. There was a scene in K-ON! Fir instance (I've actually brought this up before) where Sawako, a teacher, tries to grope Mio's breasts. Now, I like K-ON!, and I generally think that it does fine without doing this sort of thing, but here I think it crossed the line.

So, then I have to make the judgment of continuing on despite that part, or do I drop it? To K-ON!'s credit, I think they've adequately avoided this since, maybe with a couple of questionable moments here and there. But it can be a difficult situation.

Moonlight

Banned
Hold up. I own the official casebooks which are what you are describing. However, in-stores I've seen a manga on shelves which I assumed was an ongoing series from Capcom or something. Is that the same?
...oh man, this is some egg on my face. Some quick Googling has revealed a contradiction in my statement. There is a running series of Phoenix Wright more in line with the game cases, although quite obviously I wouldn't know how they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom